Game 79 Thread: PHI vs. NYK

I care, honest I do, I'm just swamped, client meeting (filemaker pro is a rare skill it seems) tonight for a guy already through 2 developers :)

I hope that Andre can cause carmelo to matriculate and gesticulate all the way down the floor.

(And I hope Amare goes for 30/30 cause I'm in the finals - but I want the sixers to win)

I predict Amare scores more than Melo...

I just hope he does it at a good percentage (and blocks a few meaningless shots for good measure)

One last push, boys!Make the WFC rock for a Sixers win...now, wouldn't that be nice.

Big game. I will be living and dying with every trip down the floor, as usual...my family was together last weekend(under sad circumstances, unfortunately) and I was watching the Milwaukee game, screaming at the TV, biting my nails, etc. My cousin says "what's the matter?aren't they in the playoffs already?" Well, yes, but I'm kind of a nut...

Tom Moore on Apr 6 at 18:24

Video: Collins prior to Knicks game on facing New York and Daniels' first game with Sixers:

76ers will start Jrue/Meeks/Dre/Brand/Hawes vs. Knicks lineup of Billups/Fields/Anthony/Stoudemire/Sheldon Williams

sheldon instead of jeffries for the knicks

Man, they really choose from a group of stiffs to get that fifth starter. I'd probably go super small w/ Melo at the 4 and Amare at the 5, but they have no back court depth either. I seriously hope the new CBA locks them into this garbage roster.

I think this game comes down to EB. Unfortunately I think EB is too banged up to answer the call... but that's why they play the games.

Also, the Sixers should have won a few more games over the lasy few weeks and they would already have locked up the 6th seed (and could be focusing on getting everyone in ideal condition for the playoffs.) IMO the 7-8 record over the last 15 games is a failure given how well they played previously. they have regressed to mediocre.

I'll take Clyde's comments and his rhymes over Snow and his unintelligible mumbling any day of the week, thanks.

tk76 reply to Chunky Soup on Apr 6 at 18:39

Eric Snow is snoozing and losing the color man match-up.

You all are way too harsh on the Snowman. Everyone will warm up to him like we warmed up to Sarge.

I'm sorry - did sarge somehow stop sucking and I missed it?

He's still clueless - wheeler just sucks a lot more

I really can't take Snow. Every time he says "One, Jrue Holiday" I just want to slap him, and he says it about 200 times per broadcast.

Alright, here we go. Hawes loses the tip.

Hawes had no chance.

Jrue on Chauncey to start, good job on the P&R, Chauncey misses a 20-footer.

Iguodala has new sneakers on, lime green soles.

And Fields coughs it up on a dribble drive.

EB with the sick block. Grab the fucking board, Hawes.

Ahh, I forgot that Clyde doesn't understand decimals.

I don't think the home Phils game is helping attendance...it's probably 50/50 knicks/sixers fans in there.
I loved Snow as an NBATV analyst. It hasn't translated to a color man yet but I'm still hopeful. Still missing Steve Mix. The Mayor!
F Melo. I hate him so much it's unhealthy.

Why not start Thad tonight?

Jrue is still way off. Brand is looking good.

Melo carried the ball there, no fucking whistle.

Sit Hawes ffs

God damnit, if Hawes is going to play like this he's absolutely going to kill this team in the playoffs.

Good D and a made jumper by Jrue. Alright, let's go.

I'd say the fast pace actually favors the Sixers on the second night of the b-2-b, they're deeper and younger.

lol hawes

I said it 3-4 weeks into season, sheldon williams> Hawes.

haha brian Clyde does not love Melo. us sixer fans in nyc know that.

Jrue heavy w/ an oop pass to AI9, it was there too.

I wouldn't be surprised if next year Jrue holiday Joins Iggy in the 14/6/5 club.

whats up with jrue throwin line-drive lobs?

JESUS IGGY STOP SHOOTING

Who should start? They're all throwing up bricks. Maybe start running Meeks off some screens or something to shake him loose. Shouldn't be hard to find good looks against this defense.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:24

Andre just has to stop this break his man down fire up a perimeter J stuff.

Ugh, Thad lost Williams for a corner three. Keep an eye on that.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:27

Meeks w/ the pick and pop pass to EB.

Iggy burned....then NOCE??? COME ON DOUG!!

MW reply to MW on Apr 6 at 19:29

Didn't realize turner was already in

2 on iggy
noc on melo?
FUCK

Put noc on carter, Turner on Melo.

Turner hits his first shot. It'd be nice if he could carry them a little w/ this lineup out there.

Fuck me, offensive board and a three. I hate that shit.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:30

Stop leaving Shawne Williams in the corner..No need for ET to cheat off that much there, the ball was on the other side of the floor.

Not ET's man?

Was Thad's Man.

eddies' heady's reply to Jason on Apr 6 at 19:33

I don't know, thought it was his cover on that play, he was the one that was closest to him and was the one that closed out a little too late.

He was closest, but no way was it his man. Meeks got completely smoked by Douglas, and Thad left Williams to contest the layup, I think.

Three fucking threes for Williams. God damnit. Hmmn, was one of them a two?

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 19:32

Yes, think the o-board one was a long two?

Ugh. just all around

PHI 19, NYK 26 after one.

Shitty fucking quarter.

Atta boy, Thad. More of that. These guys are a fucking joke defensively. Sixers should be ashamed of themselves for only scoring 19 in the first quarter.

Ugh, hit your freebies.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:35

Yeah Thad, just make these free 15 footers, please.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:36

dammit, just no rhythm on the stroke or touch from him, just like his jumpers...

Come on, Thad. They're free.

way to put up a fight, spence.

What a weak bitch.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:38

Just pitiful Spencer, if you can't finish easy stuff like that at least get the contact and get to the line.

No way Speights is worse than hawes.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:39

We just don't resemble a team anymore, the last few games it seems.

We resemble a team that can't shoot and has a great big gaping vagina in the middle.

Tom Moore on Apr 6 at 19:40

Collins: 'No difference between' sixth and seventh in conference:

Guess his saw this mess coming.

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 20:20

Ha ... Almost makes you wonder, Brian.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:41

Come on Jrue! wtf was that

Yep, Noc 22-footer, exactly the type of shots we should be getting against the fucking Knicks.

Someone explain to me why Collins is took out Turner and left Nocioni in

Grasping at straws.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:44

Can't remember seeing Jrue use the glass from 12 feet like that.

D up! The D is lacking badly, even if we can't shoot for shit.

Sweet play, Noc.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:45

Now a Noc travel, following Jrue's two possessions earlier.

And when Turner is in the game, guarded by Anthony Carter, they don't put him on the post.

But when Nocioni is guarded by Carter, yeah put him on the post. Because he will...travel! Fucking Nocioni

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:45

Bill Walker taking Iguodala off the dribble? ugh

Nocioni should not see another second

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:47

Noc thinks he was slick taking that early in the clock 3 b/c he knew he was coming out. Don't like crap like that.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:50

Somebody, anybody box the F out!

This is just pitiful.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:50

Brand careless with the ball, turnover.

They should be ashamed...

I want Ronny turiaf on my bench.

Pretty drive by Turner.

heh, I think ET is better on offense than Iggy today.

Worst half of the season.... This is ridiculous...

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:51

Evan realizes it is best to take it to the hoop. Wish Jrue, Andre would follow and chill with the jumpers.

At least Turner's going to the hoop. Thad cleaning up the garbage.

God, that's a bad shot by Iguodala.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:54

Andre please just stop with the pullups man. sheesh

Great play off the break to get the Brand jumper... really needed that.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:54

Dre's 3rd, may be a good thing if Melo doesn't go off.

3 on AI9.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:56

Good hustle by Jodie to get under the hoop and fight for that board off the EB miss, gets the foul on Melo over the back. And shoots two.

This run really hasn't done anything to damper how I feel about the first 18 minutes of the game. I'm thoroughly disgusted.

Jodie going for the board? Nicely done...

I feel a strong need for DVR this game to see what exactly is going on in these possessions.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 19:59

Let's go, got it to 5 pts now. D up please!

another fucking o-board. shameful.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:00

Thad, box Jeffries out man, come on.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:00

F me. back to 10 just on two possessions. shit

Yep. 5-0 run for NYK because we can't grab a fucking board and Meeks misses a wide-open three.

PHI 41, NYK 49 at the half.

I feel sick to my stomach. They better fucking win this game.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:03

I hope Doug peels the paint off the walls in the locker room.

TOR throws up 100+ on these cats last night, and we have around 40 at halftime? wow, just terrible.

I missed the first quarter and change of this one... I guess it was most of the same? Brand playing well as the only positive?

Yeah. Jrue can't hit anything, Hawes is completely useless. Iguodala throwing up bricks like you wouldn't believe, Meeks has missed three wide open threes. Defense hasn't been much better. Turner looked good going to the hoop, and Brand has really kept them in it.

South Broad on Apr 6 at 20:05

I can only shake my head at that half from the team. Better second half ahead? It can't get worse than that you'd think.

disgusting.
they are lucky to be down by so little.
Iggy needs to step up

eddies' heady's reply to jkay on Apr 6 at 20:11

He's got to show up before he steps up.

We need the Boss, otherwise we aren't capable of getting out of offensive funks. He better be healthy for the playoffs.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:10

Just thought I'd say - I miss you Lou.

Yeah, miss you taking the ball down by yourself and shooting without anyone else touching the ball. Repeatedly.

MW reply to AJ on Apr 6 at 20:17

That only happens at the end of quarters. When he's told to do it.

AJ reply to MW on Apr 6 at 20:25

Have you watched him? It ALWAYS happens at the end of quarters. But it does not ONLY happen at the end of quarters.

never seen guys blow by iguodala so consistently. doesn't even matter who it is. he prob shouldn't be playing the 2nd night of a back to back at this point, but they needed this game.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:20

If Andre isn't dunking, he likely isn't finishing.

EB block!

Jodie to the line to break the second half seal.

Ugh, keep shooting, Hawes.

If we lose this Dre and EB should not play again until the playoffs. Dre is just god awful right now, and I think it's his knee's fault.

Settling for jumpers probably isn't going to get the job done, guys.

8 straight points for Melo.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:23

It's the Melo show, 8-0 run for him. geez

melo is carving up AI9

johnrosz on Apr 6 at 20:23

I guess Melo owed Iggy one, he's getting torched right now

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:25

Man, Meeks is off. Spencer tech? Get him out of there dammit.

Spence gets a tech as well. That's spectacular.

SPEIGHTS!!!!

I guess Speights getting hot could keep this from being a 20-point loss.

Unless he fouls out in five minutes.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:27

Just noticed that Speights looks really heavy. Thought he had slimmed down around mid-season.

Iguodala can only hit jumpers when he's fouled on the attempt.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:29

Andre makes a step back, finally. And gets fouled.

I am very depressed right now

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:29

What bullshit of an attempt by Dre on that break!

Ugly, ugly basketball.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:31

I just didn't want to watch the Heat smoke our ass in 4 straight games. Well, guess I need to get ready.

This is disgusting and embarassing. I am in shock that Jrue just actually made a shot.

18 minutes of Garbage time :|.

I'm in class, but why did Turner only play 7 minutes and Nocioni six? His stats don't look that bad.

I'm getting pretty worried about the rest of the team. This looks like it's more than Lou.

They were on court for about 4-5 mins together.

What the Fuck, I hate this team

Wow, a good defensive possession.

GOAL: under 10 at the end of the quaeter

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:34

heh, hell of an energetic defensive possession there to force a clock violation. WHere the hell has that been?

ugh, Meeks travels...

aaand, they give it right back on a Jodie turnover.

Jodie stinks tonight and should be benched. That is all.

3 stops in a row.

0/7 from three for Jodie, and none of them was a bad look.

He's also playing revolving door D. Can't believe the minutes he's getting while providing literally nothing on the court.

You broke meeks brian.

Dre BURNED again. Seriously let's just sit him down for the rest of the year (til April 16)

Fuck it, I want a Speights, Brand, Thad, Kapono, Meeks lineup. Maybe we can outshoot them.

not if you include Meeks in the group

Jrue - passes up wide open 3 for a pull up off the dribble 1 step inside the line contested

PHI 65, NYK 78 after three.

12 minutes to 7th.

This happens to be coinciding with a Phillies blown 7-0 lead over the Mets....wow....what an awful awful awful night.

believe it or not; we're still in this game.

Dre get your drive on and give Anthony his 5th foul pronto. that might be our only chance to win.
make up for that useless display in the 1st.

Rich reply to jkay on Apr 6 at 20:47

Haven't watched this game but agree. The Knicks can give up any lead.

jkay reply to Rich on Apr 6 at 20:49

you're not watching heh - lucky bastard.

65 points in three quarters against the fucking Knicks. How do you look yourself in the mirror after a performance like that?

4th quarter starts with 2 offensive rebounds one fo which was a blatant lack of box out

Yep, first possession of the fourth they give the Knicks two offensive boards then foul a jump shooter.

Take jrue out. take him out please.

jkay reply to MW on Apr 6 at 20:50

...and put who in?

MW reply to jkay on Apr 6 at 20:53

let ET run point. surround him with thad, iggy, Brand, meeks.

You have got to be shitting me. How is Amare just standing there for the dunk after you score in transition?

thad and iggy - how the hell are they even above 60% FT this year? every time I watch they shoot 50%

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:50

So, they're gonna tease me with one last run?

Well, that Amare missed dunk, Thad dunk, Amare cherrypicking and then showboating and then Thad with the and 1... followed by a drawn charge against Amare... if that doesn't get you going...

go Thad.
carrying our team

Well, Thad hasn't quit.

0/12 from three. If they're shooting 25%, it's a 1-point game.

ET showing tons of heart underneath. I love this guy.

I'm going to make a list of the guys who look like they give a shit:

1. Thad.

2. Brand.

Thad, Turner and EB - the rest have no balls tonight.

eddies' heady's reply to jkay on Apr 6 at 20:58

Jodie's been giving good effort and hustling, just can't buy a shot tonight.

EB got fouled ffs

maybe not

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:56

Why show this sense of urgency now? Two hours ago would have been a good start..

God damnit... make a damn shot.

wow....EB's layup missed underneath was just brutal.

5 missed shots and two missed freebies on that last possession.

jrue 3. 1/14 for the team now.

give Thad the ball...
and clear the fuck out!

Thad J. come on.

ET just got lucky

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 20:59

7 pt game. don't tease me like this please.

Get the fucking board when he misses the second.

Jrue hurt his shoulder, that's exactly what we need. That was a foul, by the way.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 21:01

Defense! Defense! Stops!

turner should've gotten the ball to thad on that break.

Come on, get a hoop here.

Iguodala looks like he is in outer space right now...

jkay reply to Joe on Apr 6 at 21:03

way beyond ....

airball three. wonderful shot, ai9.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 21:02

MF'er, Andre airball.

Put Jodie in for somebody if these looks from three are going to be there.

He's missed 7 clean looks so far, you want 10?

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 21:10

A shooter should always believe the next one's going down. Yes, he should keep shooting.

Thad's done a surprisingly ok job defending Amare. He can't guard boris diaw or big baby.

Fuck this, I'm out.

Aaaaand...we're back to square 1 with Iguodala.

Yeah he plays great defense and we like him. He can handle a bit and set others up, sometimes. But man, dude is a baaaad offensive player - shooting, shooting FT's, finishing in traffic. Damn.

explains why they are such ugly looking t-shirts.

UNREAL!!!!!!!!
THAD!!

THAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that fucking guy.

Gotta like Jrue boxing out to start all that.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 21:06

Yeah baby! Thad and-one! Please make the free throw.

That has to be a tech on Amare. You can't fucking fire the ball into the stands like that.

AJ reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 21:09

If the a Sixer did that...

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 21:07

Sheesh, wish they would have shown this much aggression on D all game.

Amare throws it into the 7th row... a T would have been nice there.

THAD!!!

Thad is playing his heart out, damn

ThaDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

Thad is owning Amare right now on both sides.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 21:09

Thad! and Amare pushed him from behind, no call....shit

THAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amare's hurt. Come the fuck on!

Love when the WFC gets loud.

What? Bullshit foul call there.

Ridiculous

Jodie with a burst...

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 21:12

Meeks! Let's go, we got the lead.

his first field goal?

THERE YOU GO JODIE! OVER THE FUCKING HUMP.

KEEP THE DEFENSE GOING!!!

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 21:13

Damn, Meeks 3 was halfway down!

Douglas 3, F me....

God damnit, that three was halway down and they knicks come back and hit a fucking three. I fucking hate life.

grammar goes down the tubes when i'm this pissed.

ok just get the ball to the Thad or Brand.

if Dre takes a shot here, my tv might take a bullet

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 21:16

Jrue, you've got to initiate and draw the contact...

Don't mind the drive, would've preferred Thad or Brand, though.

Got the stop, now get the fucking hoop.

Thad struggles going to that side... FUCK

get Meeks back in

do you mean back out? i sure hope so

jkay reply to jkay on Apr 6 at 21:18

ignore that.

He never came out

he's been on the court the whole time..

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 21:17

Wish we had that phantom tech on Amare right about now...

Amazing that with Carmelo and Amare, it's Toney Douglas making us pay down the stretch...

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 21:19

Unbelieveable, Dre 3!

Wow, Iguodala three. Come on, get the fucking stop.

you're damn lucky that shot went in.

Had meeks wide open, but this works too.

Who didn't know Melo was taking that three?

Apparently Collins, or our entire defense, that decided to never double-team him in this game.

Rich reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 21:34

I didn't like Dre's approach there, too much airspace, and that three was exactly what Melo wanted to do.

well i'll be....

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 21:20

Melo's foot was on the line, no?

Sixers out of timeouts, right? Gotta go for the three. Probably a miss by AI9.

Broken inbounds play coming up

he had Jrue for a corner three, kinda would've preferred that to a split pair at the line.

Make the first, miss the second.

Mike reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 21:28

lol at e snow while thad was at the line. zumoff asks if you miss the 2nd. snow said, "well you never miss when you're behind." he is such an unbelievable jackass.

T on Melo would have been nice... just saying.

crap.
the pac-man game over song is playing in my head right now.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 21:24

Well, is there any chance CHI and BOS aren't playing out the string next Tues and Wed and they play full bore vs the Knicks? Any chance? We may still have an opening on 6th if so, no?

I really hate all those d-bag knicks fans at the game. Every single one of them.

PHI 92, NYK 97 final.

Disgusting.

eddies' heady's on Apr 6 at 21:27

They deserved to lose this game with the way they looked for 3 quarters. Don't know why they showed mettle with their backs against the wall in the 4th. Should have came out with that fire and not sleepwalked through almost the entire game.

William on Apr 6 at 21:28

6ers still getting the 6th seed. Billups out and their last 3 on the road.

I highly doubt it. If the Knicks finish 2-2, the Sixers need to finish 3-0 to take the #6 seed.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 21:31

Will IND have clinched that 8th spot when they play the Knicks Sunday?

They just clinched it. We're 7th. If they wanted 6th, had to win tonight, and they didn't care until the fourth, and even then it was really only two guys carrying the rest of them along kicking and screaming.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 21:47

No hope that CHI and BOS or even IND can take down the Knicks and we sweep our games if ORL is in rest mode when we face them?

If they go 2-2, we need to go 3-0 to pass them. I don't see it happening. Tonight was their shot, they blew it.

Thad is your POTG, Brand is the only other guy who got consideration.

jkay reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 21:30

I would give them both. Without Brand's consistent scoring, this would have been Chicago game margins by the 3rd.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 21:32

Brand gets it for me.

yeah i'm with ya

Joe reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 21:34

I'd probably go Brand.

Thad sparked the comeback, but Brand was there as a steady force all night battling and being pretty effective.

William on Apr 6 at 21:30

But do we want to be 6th????

Joe reply to William on Apr 6 at 21:33

Yes, it is a nice victory to be looking down at the Knicks when the season ends...

jkay reply to William on Apr 6 at 21:34

our frontcourt is beginning to become the achilles heel we thought it would be when we started the season.
i don't even want to look at the boxscore but the rebounding totals will be nauseating.

eddies' heady's reply to jkay on Apr 6 at 22:16

Weirdly, we outrebounded them overall by 1, and 2 more offensive boards than them, never thought that watching it though.

johnrosz on Apr 6 at 21:31

They have no prayer in a round one matchup if Iguodala can't shut down whichever elite wing he's going to face.

Really wish he didn't play in that FIBA tourney

jkay reply to johnrosz on Apr 6 at 21:36

Melo catching fire was not the reason we lost tonight though.

johnrosz reply to jkay on Apr 6 at 21:40

I guess, but there were a handful of times that Dre gave up penetration that he never would if healthy.

jkay reply to johnrosz on Apr 6 at 21:43

yeah not even buying the health thing anymore. he looked like he was having his period. (forgive the chauvinism)

Joe reply to jkay on Apr 6 at 21:57

so what are you buying? he is a wimp who isnt in shape?

jkay reply to Joe on Apr 6 at 22:01

no. moody.
you can see the physical limitation, yes. but his mind was nowhere in the game. if he gives the slightest effort, he plays much better than that.

Joe reply to jkay on Apr 6 at 22:08

Sorry, I am moody, actually.

His mind wasn't there. I think you see that in back to backs though for a guy who has played as many minutes as he has and has been battling through some "physical limitations."

I think he finished the game pretty reasonably well and game them a chance to win with above average D down the stretch.

Let's go Bucks.

MW reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 21:45

seconded. Brian, do you agree with sitting Iggy for the rest of the year? And limiting Brands minutes severely.

Not sure. I don't know how Iguodala's body would react to that much rest. Both times when he came back from injury he was terrible in the first game back, really rusty and limited physically. I don't want that in the first playoff game. Maybe I'd give each of those guys one game off in the next three and try to limit their minutes in the other two.

I heart Delfino.

Bos @ Mia on sunday, will decide the 2 or 3 seed in all likley hood

I wouldn't worry too much about tonight's loss. Our analysis predicted the loss to the Knicks, but the statistics still predict the 76ers to grab the #6 seed in the East. All 3 remaining games are at home, which is huge. Check out the numbers:

Tom Moore on Apr 6 at 22:37

Video: Young after scoring 15 of his team-high 25 points in the fourth quarter of the Sixers' loss to the Knicks:

Honestly, this is classic post-Iverson Sixers limping into the playoffs. All this hoopla about a 40-39 team that, besides Turner, has just one young piece, namely Jrue, that the playoff teams of 2 or 3 years ago didn't have. This young core has been together for a while now. Unless we win some shocking first-round upset, all the buzz from our good play the past few months will be lost, people will see us for what we are, a nucleus of mediocre talent, and no star will come and sign with us, except for maybe some second-tier star, like the one who did sign with us a few years back. I guess the best-case scenario for the Sixers' future would go something like this: we draft a good center in the middle of the first round (it's happened a few times in the history of pro basketball), Turner plays well enough next season for us to trade him for a big (a team, after all, needs more than one big to win, and even with my imaginary center, we'd just have one big once Brand fell apart), and then, in 2013 (forget about Howard or Paul or whomever), we sign a Kevin Martin, or, dare I say it, a Monta Ellis. Now, I know that by 2013, Martin will be 30. But I do believe that with Martin in the fold, we'd have, for a few years, a good enough offense that with our defense, which by then might slip a little due to Iguodala getting older, but would hopefully be shored up by some kind of a cheap, functioning frontcourt, we might be able to contend. Monta would give you a longer time horizon but obviously he isn't nearly as efficient a player. Then again, he's no less efficient than Derrick Rose and you see how that's working out for Chicago.

Tray reply to Tray on Apr 6 at 23:54

Oh, and the other name I'd add, if we could pry him loose from his cheap owner, who may not be too inclined to keep him - Eric Gordon. He's legit.

Video: Brand after Wednesday's loss to Knicks:

1. The 4th qtr was no "moral victory." It was typical NBA where the better team lets up and the lesser team makes a comeback. And the Sixers still fell short.

2. Look at the possessions down the stretch:
Missed open 3 yields made 3 by NY (twice). Then consecutive TO's (blocked, stripped. Then Missed foul shot... Bad late game offense is the one thing this team consistently delivers all season.

3. 3-13.....30-17......7-9

That is how this year breaks down. IMO that 30-17 was yet another season's 40+ game Fool's Gold run that tricks fans into thinking this team is relevant/legitimate/good or anything other than mediocre, starless borderline playoff team like its been (at best) for 3 of the past 4 years.

Unless this late swoon can be explained away by injuries- and the argument can be made- I don't see how this year and this team is any different than what we saw prior the Eddie Jordan.

At a minimum, this group has done more with less imo.

I don't know how to mount much of an argument after the way they played tonight. I do wholeheartedly disagree about the Knicks being a better team, though.

tk76 reply to Brian on Apr 7 at 1:29

The Knicks were the better team tonight. That's what I meant regarding the "better team" letting up after they had a big lead.

tk76 reply to Brian on Apr 7 at 1:37

I'd say the team 3 years ago did more with less. maybe the team 2 years ago as well. This current team is much deeper. Thad, Lou and Iguodala are all better and more experienced than they were 2 and 3 years ago. Although I guess you can argue that Miller was better than Jrue and those teams had Sam. But I'd take this year's Brand over Sam.

Best line-ups:
Miller.....Jrue
Green......Meeks
Iguodala...Igudoala
Thad(R)....Thad (year 4)
Sam........Brand
Bench:
Evans/Smith(R)....Hawes/Battie
Lou...............Lou(experienced)
Carney/Ollie/.....Noce/Turner

Yeah, I'll discuss this some time when they aren't in the middle of a three-game losing streak. Not feeling too much like a devil's advocate right now.

tk76 reply to Brian on Apr 7 at 1:59

Honestly, I enjoyed watching all 3 Sixers teams who have made the playoffs. They all gave great effort an had a 1/2 season+ run of overachieving (60%+ winning) where they beat a number of quality teams. In each instance I let myself get carried away by their success... and eventually came to realize that they were entertaining but not actually good.

Not saying the situations were identical. But big picture they were not that different. Here's the main reason why:

3 years ago: A 23 year old Iguodala breaks out to average 19.9/5.5/4.8 and looks ready to take his game to a whole other level.

2 years ago Thad burst out as a surprise rookie at age 19, leading us to believe he was only a couple years from being an impact star.

Now Jrue is the "future" and maybe ET. Is our optimism about those guys much different than when Iguodala and Thad were all the rage? And is heavily relying on a 10M 32/33 year old PG (Miller) that different than the current Brand situation?