Report: Escrow to the Players

As a fan I wouldn't mind cutting 25-40 games this season for the sake of making the league better. When it gets to that point the players will already feel the pain and start making concessions. I would love to see how strong the union will be when players like Gilbert Arenas won't be getting their 240k paychecks or when Ron Artest starts losing the $3.5 million he was expecting to make in the first half of the season.

Teams like Miami, NY, Dallas, and LAL will feel the pain because they won't generate revenue and they'll lose a year of their players' prime. I wonder if the revenue loss those teams endure will outweigh the stance the other owners will have.

do you think an owner like prokerov (spelled way wrong) of the nets would rather end the lockout so he has a better chance of signing deron (and the heat owner who wants to win a championship while his guys are still young as well)? Or are all the owners in it together to save money, not just the ones losing money. I would find it hard to believe they all want to have this lockout

The quote that stuck with me from NFL lockout was that the only thing all the owners can agree on is that they want to make more money.

I seriously doubt there's really one voice among all the owners, but I do believe a majority of the teams are losing money, and a deal won't be struck unless the new CBA rectifies that. Even if the knicks and lakers are fine w/ the current state of affairs, that's only two teams.

in unrelated lockout news, jrue holiday has a girlfriend(lauren cheney, plays for the USA womens soccer team)

ohhhhh man, pretty sure all of us may have to change our avatars to this now: http://twitpic.com/5pmd1s

Mike reply to das411 on Jul 13 at 14:22

oh my god

Jan reply to das411 on Jul 13 at 14:24

That is legitimately funny. Some people might get anal about the fact that he is "not using proper flag etiquette"

jkay reply to das411 on Jul 13 at 14:47

best thing I've seen today. haha.
go USA ladies, bring the cup back home.

About Brand and Rescue Dawn, I'd say that that movie's being good had a whole lot more to do with being directed by Wernor Herzog than with its being financed by Elton Brand. Tupac's director is Antoine Fuqua, most famous for Training Day, and more recently the director of Shooter (the bad Mark Wahlberg vehicle) and Brooklyn's Finest. Not an incompetent director, but not exactly one of the greatest directors of the past 35 years, as Herzog is.

Read today Brand isn't involved in the Tupac movie. And your point about the director making that movie good doesn't take anything away from Brand's job as producer. That's like saying a GM isn't any good, all he did was hire a great coach.

Tray reply to Brian on Jul 13 at 15:21

Well, I commend Brand for hiring one of the world's best directors; I'm just saying that, had he made Tupac with Fuqua, there would be no reason to think Tupac would come out well because Rescue Dawn came out well.

none other than the fact that he did a good job of pairing a director w/ a script in his previous film. Perhaps he, or his people, have an eye for that aspect of it.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Jul 13 at 17:49

I thought Christian Bale was really good in that movie, no surprise. Guy is going to die before age 50 with all the rapid weight loss/gain he does for his roles.

Seriously. The Machinist made me sick to my stomach.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Jul 14 at 1:32

still don't know how I feel about that movie. I definitely like it, but it's disturbing. Pretty crazy that the same actor was training with the routine of an Olympic athlete for American Psycho

American Psycho was the rare case where I liked the movie better than the book. I heard a funny line about him from that movie, something like he worked out for four hours a day so he made the director shoot him nude as much as possible to show it off.

Tray reply to Brian on Jul 16 at 15:35

A ton of great films have been based on bad books. For example, The Godfather, Vertigo, Some Came Running, The Earrings of Madame De...

Anonymous on Jul 13 at 18:41

The sale of the sixers to the Joshua Harris group has been formally announced as official as of today.

Tom Moore on Jul 13 at 19:35

New ownership group of Sixers to keep playing at Wells Fargo Center despite not owning the building:

So is Andre Iguodala the new Donovan McNabb

johnrosz reply to Steve on Jul 13 at 20:56

He's Scott Rolen. For all the criticism, Donovan was one of the best players in the NFL before he tore his ACL. He was also able to get out of the first round of the playoffs.

"I played for one of the biggest clubs in Europe," Childress says. "But there were still six- and seven-hour bus rides, we didn't stay at the best hotels and we flew commercial nine out of 10 times. And not all coaches care about your body. It's more military style. There's no getting tired. I'll be interested to see how guys' bodies respond."

Tom Moore on Jul 13 at 21:28

A history of the Sixers' owners:

Spencer Flaws on Jul 14 at 0:15