Preseason Game 2: Game Thread

OK looks like it's working.

Even works on Android...

Odd hing is that the "Hedging" post still won't open properly, but this one does. Whatever you did... good job.

Clear out your cache, if changes were made while the page was in your cache (history) they might not fully take effect. (If you care that is)

Brian - one thing - could you make the comment counter slightly less wide or move the 'comment box' over to the right a bit - it just sort of crowds the box

Yeah, I figured as much. Just glad it is working on all browsers.

Brian, I definitely like the new changes and per our conversation, I just took a quick glance at the source code and it seems like replies are not 'children' or the source comment, the div is closed off (which is weird to me) before the new comment div starts, so my quick jquery fix doesn't work like i thought it would

Looks really good- thanks for all the hard work. We all appreciate it!

Looks great Brian,

Looking forward to another blowout as well. Hopefully, given that Collins said that they will be actually using scouting reports this time, we could see an even more polished performance.

i like the new improvements, hoping to see another blowout tonight

sixer4life on Dec 20 at 17:42

well done, mate. site looks great.
Bring on the Wiz - and the rest of the league!

Sharone Wright on Dec 20 at 17:43

I'll be at the game tonight. I want to check out Voose's defense. Desperately looking for someone to take Hawes' minutes.

Has anyone been checking out the punditry?

Michael wilbon was talking pacers/knicks as a possible 4 seed

Hollinger has the Nuggets as the 2 seed in the Western conference. I know they finished last season playing great but that's a bit much. He thinks their youth and depth helps them. Wonder where he has the Sixers...

Nuggets 2 seed? Sixers over under at 30.5 wins?

I must be out of touch if these are what the experts are predicting.

Tray reply to tk76 on Dec 20 at 18:43

so they're basically saying we're a 37-45 team in a normal season. That seems pretty off to me - I think in an 82-game season we'd go 43-39 - but it's not crazy.

YoungGun13 reply to Xsago on Dec 20 at 18:07

i hope hollinger knows that 3 of nuggets' key players are stuck in china until next season.

One of those 'key players' is JR Smith who George Karl basically called insane in the past day or so

YoungGun13 reply to GoSixers on Dec 20 at 18:18

yeah and he also said they couldn't replace kmart and wilson chandler.

I'm not sure those 3 guys matter all that much actually. The Nuggets have so many players of similar quality that they can afford some of them playing in China. Their problem is none of them is an actual superstar.

josh7six on Dec 20 at 17:51

anyone have a link for the game?

Conlin. Ughh.

Maybe it's just the cynic on me - but suddenly there's all these people in sports molesting children? It's like when all your kids had adhd - or aspergers was cool - it's the trendy thing to accuse people of.

Sorry, kids get molested, it happens, a LOT and not just 'suddenly' shows up...it's under reported, under investigated and child molesters should get the death peanlty

Tray reply to GoSixers on Dec 20 at 18:41

What are you trying to say?

well, since you haven't yet accomplished what I suggested you do a week or two ago, I don't expect explaining it to you would make any difference...simple minds make for simple people

Tray reply to GoSixers on Dec 20 at 18:50

I don't read most of your comments because you're not a very bright person, your little techie abilities notwithstanding. That comment, for instance, was an incoherent piece of nonsense. "Sorry, kids get molested, it happens, a LOT and not just 'suddenly' shows up" - that doesn't mean anything. You seem to be saying that molestation victims don't "suddenly" report molestation years after the fact, or that parents would necessarily notice somehow. But that just isn't so. As you've probably heard, in recent years a ton of priests have gotten caught decades after the fact. It's not the sort of thing little kids enjoy talking about. Nor can anything be made of the statistically insignificant coincidence that three sports figures have recently been accused of, or arrested for, molestation. Hardly suggests that accusing sports figures of molestation is a "trendy" thing to do. Sandusky, of course, has been investigated for a decade. Fine's wife acknowledged this happened in recorded phone calls with one of the victims, and has also been under investigation for a while. This third, completely unrelated report, may or may not be true, but in any event it doesn't speak to a trend of dishonest reporting.

Ugh, cut the shit, both of you.

YoungGun13 on Dec 20 at 19:02

Gametime.

ughhh, the arena looks empty

Ryan F reply to sixerfan1220 on Dec 20 at 19:04

That shot was taken at least 30 min ago.

that makes sense

It's still empty.

Malik looks a little gun shy. We change analysts like e change coaches.

Anyone use league pass mobile before? Does it have the same blackout restrictions?

I ask because I know how to bypass the blackouts using my PC, but don't think it would work using my phone.

I'm not sure how they do it w/ mobile, but I do remember a sixers/celts game being blocked out on my iphone or ipad when I was in Mass last year.

sober81 reply to tk76 on Dec 20 at 20:26

I had mobile last year. Your local market games or nationally televised games will be blacked out. I'm in Ohio and couldn't watch the Cavs on my phone.

And we're off. Hawes loses the tip, as per usual.

Johnnylaptop on Dec 20 at 19:11

Brian the new comments block is great. Thanks

Spence and McGee trading shots...everybody loses?

Atta boy, Jrue. Breaks up the break on one end, finishes on the other.

Ugh, Wall bricks a 20-footer early in the shot clock on one end. How do this Sixers take advantage? Iguodala bricks a 20-footer early in the shot clock on the other end.

2 turns on Jrue. The first is kind of forgivable, the travel wasn't, though. Have to clean that nonsense up.

Blatche is building another house.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 19:22

Keep shooting Andre, you need it.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 19:22

Or do that. Aggressive take to the hoop

I'm fine w/ him shooting threes. Hate the 20-footers. I'd also like to see him get up above 75% from the line this season.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 19:25

Hawes didn't have a brace on that knee last game did he?

Turner first off the bench, Thad second.

Jrue forces a turnover by moving his feet to cut off Wall on a drive. Nice play.

This is a bad lineup. Jodie and Lou don't mix.

Meeks has shown a lot more in these pre-season games than last year. Some drives, some 2s.

Johnnylaptop on Dec 20 at 19:29

I like Turners body language tonight.

BOX OUT!

And at least pretend you're putting up a fight on defense, Lou.

Da Jruth on Dec 20 at 19:33

Decent start, could be better, rhythm and acclimation have to come though. Collins is probably mixing and matching, tinkering just a bit still.

Speights touches the ball. Misses a 20-footer. Winning that spot.

Johnnylaptop on Dec 20 at 19:35

Why are we made to suffer with Speights ?

Stop with the fucking long twos.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 19:36

Good swing pass from ET. Speights jackin' again though.

suck on that wall!!!

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 19:38

It's really hard to tell who the Wiz players are, those jersey numbers are difficult to see.

They're having trouble w/ the zone. Sort of.

they're free.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 20 at 19:39

Just tell him he gets a free doughnut. Maybe that'll work

Terrible shot by Wall. Sixers up 25-20 after one.

God, those rims are loud on the Sixers end. Either that, or they're throwing up a bunch of bricks.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 20 at 19:46

Yep, those rims need to be tightened up it sounds like. Rattling.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 19:43

Maybe it'll get better but Malik Rose's voice is so monotone. Just bland. It's like you can barely hear him also.

I really like his voice. Very calm. Goes well with Zumoff.

Come on, Lou.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 19:52

Evan should have hit Jrue spotting up over in front of the bench.

stop with the jump shots and keep driving the ball

Is it just me, or is this quite possibly the most boring game of basketball ever played?

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 19:55

Been really sloppy since the bench began to trickle in at end of first. No cohesion or something.

Iguodala is playing like crap.

Sissy hook. But at least he's going to the line.

You hear brand yelling at Turner to take the first one? wide open corner three.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 19:57

Turner made that baseline look, but everyone was just standing around on O.

sissy dunk misses

Three on Iguodala. This is ugly. That zone/trap is making them look like morons, and the Wiz don't really even have a decent individual defender on the floor.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 19:59

heh, Malik just called him Iggy

Snow did that all the time too.

Doug is not pleased.

I'm not impressed...

Yeah, this is night and day compared to Friday night. Ugly hoops.

Phil reply to Brian on Dec 20 at 20:03

Nobody seems motivated. Except Turner maybe.

But I think we'll see some changes in the 2nd half.

Da Jruth on Dec 20 at 20:02

This should be treated as a dress rehearsal you would think. More like everyone trying on dresses.

Thad seems bigger to me.

Ryan F reply to Brian on Dec 20 at 20:04

So does Speights :)

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 20:04

Thad looked to have good position established for the charge.

The middle of that zone is open everytime. Let Jrue handle the ball and penetrate it, or flash him to the middle of it, since he's not wanting Jrue to handle/initiate things tonight.

Wall took about 5 steps there before they called the foul.

That was a fucking pitiful play by Voose on the pick-and-roll.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 20 at 20:09

And I despise the stare-down from McGee, as if he didn't already have Voose beat on the roll. Like he really dunked that in his face.

There was the Voose's first rebound in a sixers' uni.

Meeks with a nice drive, stops the bleeding.

What kind of substitutions are these?

plentiful?

Ryan F reply to Brian on Dec 20 at 20:22

Desperate?

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 20:12

Alot of different combos that I'd assume we won't see in regular season so probably shouldn't read too much into it. Terrible, pitiful, sloppy quarter nonetheless.

voose for 3, im speechless

Sloppy, sloppy half.

PHI 47, WAS 52

They lost the second quarter 22-32.

Voose w/ the dagger three to beat the buzzer.

Johnnylaptop on Dec 20 at 20:17

SWEET

+ Turner, Thad, Meeks
~ Hawes, Brand
- Iggy, Jrue, Speights

Is anyone else already more comfortable with the ball in Turners hands offense more than anyone else? VOOOOOOOSE. Ahem.

I'm still not 100% comfortable with Jrue because of his turnovers/mental mistake tendencies from last year (although from a presence standpoint he looks to have taken the proverbial "next step"), and Iguodala because of his over-confidence in his off the dribble jumper at mid-range.

I want the ball in Jrue's hands. Still not seeing Turner make things happen w/ his dribble, and he seems a step slow making decisions. Doing a good job of protecting it, though.

Ryan F reply to Cin on Dec 20 at 20:32

I wish every play was initiated by Jrue. If I were calling it, it would be a two man game, with Jrue being one of them 9 times out of 10.

Cin reply to Ryan F on Dec 20 at 20:44

I definitely want Jrue initiating. Someone else mentioned it here before, but Turner is not a point guard in the traditional sense, he's a ball handler no doubt, but only as a scorer, which is a big need and something I hope we'll see a lot of this season.

Alright, clean it up this half, please.

Jrue right to the hole, gets to the line. Need much, much more of that.

JRUE!!!!

Too much indecision on the offensive end.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 20:38

Dre with the proverbial fadeaway brick.

There we go. Three for Iguodala. Just don't aim for the rim.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 20:39

Dre 3! Keep shootin' em my man

Just keep driving.

JRUE 43.

Love that side dribble by Meeks. So many guys take that dribble and change it into a long two. Great find by Jrue, as well.

The starters are going to take this game back, the bench better not fuck it up again.

Jodie has a beautiful shot.

Hawes with 11 Rebounds in 16 minutes. Good sign? Rebounded well in the first pre-season game as well.

wakeuptothesound@yahoo.com on Dec 20 at 20:45

Side note: Jonas Jerebko started at center for the Pistons. Interesting.

Nick Young with a nice fro-ater inside. Is he on a one year deal?

yes and hes unrestricted next year

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 20:53

I pray they trade Marreese. Really ...

He only played 8 minutes. But it felt like half the game...

eddies' heady's reply to Phil on Dec 20 at 21:02

No way the Griz can be that desperate. I can hope though.

End-of-quarter Lou.

Third quarter was slightly better, still not good enough.

PHI 70, WAS 70

Really wish Turner wouldn't whine every time he doesn't get the ball. One thing that definitely shouldn't have carried over to this season along with his shooting.

Ugh, 5 assists/5 turnovers for Jrue. Collins is not going to be happy about that.

3 assists/4 turnovers for Wall.

Iguodala in rhythm, taking the time to set his feet. I dig it.

McGee is a great piece for the Wizards. His aggressiveness is going to get him in foul trouble a lot, but he's really developing well.

Cin reply to Cin on Dec 20 at 21:09

Late in the game Turner showing good form on his jumper off the screen. Quick decision.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 21:05

Dre should have known better than to pass that ball to Speights off that jump ball.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 21:06

Marreese have a seat. It's your second best friend, behind an open or contested 20 footer.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 21:07

Was Hawes never taught to not bring the ball down to his knees?

5 on Hawes. Please go to the Voose instead of Speights.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 20 at 21:08

Now that's sad. heh

Very, but my distaste for the Voose hasn't had enough time to morph into hatred, yet.

Lots and lots of turnovers.

Three off the dribble for Iguodala. Don't see that every day.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 21:11

Dre 3! Now get some stops and bring this home.

That's Voose's third three second call in about 28 minutes of action.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 21:12

I'm totally understanding that he's a rookie. But you'd think Vuc had never stepped on a court sometimes when watching him.

That was good D in the post on McGee though. Gave up the rebound, but to borrow a football phrase, he didn't give up on the play and showed up on McGee the second time.

Cin reply to Cin on Dec 20 at 21:18

Such poor athleticism that he didn't even make it outside of the low post though. What was he still doing there?

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 21:14

Vuc whiffing at the ball after getting off the ground 1 1/2 inches while Thad skies above him to tip it. ha

1 point lead, 6:06 to go when Jrue came back in. Let's see what happens in this stretch.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 21:17

It's just one game - but it might be safe, and disconcerting, to say that we're gonna be in trouble if Hawes gets in foul trouble.

Vuc will get eaten alive on pick-and-rolls. And Speights, well, he'll just think about eating.

Guess EB will have to carry us.

We knew that when they didn't make a real move coming into the season. More of the same from last season.

The Voose plays the game at a different speed than everyone else.

And it's not a faster speed.

Da Jruth reply to Brian on Dec 20 at 21:20

Glaring.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 20 at 21:21

It's early, but still, what did they possibly see in this guy when working him out?

He's tall and I guess they like bigs who like to shoot from 18 feet.

This combined with the speights pick are making me think that Tony Dileo has a weakness in his evaluation for doughy not good big men

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Dec 20 at 21:34

Speights was near rail thin back then.

Then maybe it's a skill set thing :) Big guys who shoot a lot and don't defend

JTITB. This is the lineup we probably want to see finishing games, he's at least going with it for now.

voose saved by a shot clock violation

JRUE 43!!!

Nice look by Turner.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 21:26

Jrue's been good when spotting up tonight from deep. Turner shouldn't dribble straight into the baseline though.

What an old-man move. Nice.

In your motherfucking face. Jrue just took this game.

eddies' heady's on Dec 20 at 21:27

Zum just said Vuc was "quick with it". Oxymoron?

Jrue 4 3! again!!

what do we call voose's sissy hook?

Jrue 43

eddies' heady's reply to sixerfan1220 on Dec 20 at 21:28

The caboose? He's bringing up the rear

Wow, there is no one there tonight.

I wonder how @Sixers and @SixersCEOAdam spin this one. I had to unfollow @Sixers - became unbearable. Retweeting people saying stupid shit like "I HAVE NEVER BEEN PROUDER OF THIS TEAM" - after they won a friggin' preseason game.

Holiday is ice cold. Totally disrupting the Wizards energy and timing by taking shots when least expected. Great feel for the game.

bebopdeluxe on Dec 20 at 21:30

Jrue with the dagger.

And THAT is why/how Turner could/SHOULD be out there at crunchtime.

There's your closer, folks. 12 points, 2 boards since I said let's see what happens w/ Jrue coming back in.

Please, please, please tell me the ball will be in Jrue's hands to end games this season. That will make up for everything you've ever put me through, Sixers.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 20 at 21:37

Totally agree, though it would not surprise me to see Doug give it to Dre.

Yep, sure want Jrue to get to close games over Iguodala or Lou. those two can either score or pass but not both. While Jrue is still a bit T.O. prone, but he can both score and set up others.

My only other observation is that this team really struggles to rebound on both ends. They need to generate some offensive boards to raise their chances of scoring.

PHI 101, WAS 94 Final.

Ugly game, but those final minutes made up for it. Any question as to Player of The Game?

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 20 at 21:39

Vuc's shadow? cause it moved quicker than he did

YoungGun13 reply to Brian on Dec 20 at 21:40

Spencer Hawes for his 13 rebounds and not taking more than 3 shots. Thank god.

I'm telling you - the junk punch for 3 plan needs to be implemented - Hawes and Voose

2-0 folks. 66 more to go.

0-0

Not until Monday.

Strange to say it, but this team looks like they need a Reggie Evans type. Someone who will grab some o-boards to generate second possessions.

speaking of reggie he is signing with the clippers

Shit, I've really missed this. Can't wait for Monday night.

I just got back from the game (had seats at mid court, opposing the broadcast view). Here are my thoughts:

1. Jrue Holiday is the man.

2. Iguodala didn't try in the first half.

3. Evan Turner is just as good as Iggy, if not better.

4. Vucevic is our best defensive/rebounding big man presence on this team right now, besides Brand. Sixers will be much better off when he takes over for Hawes.

5. The new PA announcer absolutely sucks. He doesn't announce the names in a cool way like the previous guy. No more "Andre Iguo... DALA DALA DALA DALA", no more "Looouuuuuuu", no more anything. He just sucks. I'd rather have the PA announcer at the philly airport than this guy.

Dwight reply to Dwight on Dec 20 at 22:13

We need to create a bring back Matt Cord petition!

Who are the fans that have made these horrible suggestions to the owners anyway? First Hip Hop is gone and now this.

MCT reply to Dwight on Dec 20 at 22:21

1. agreed

2. I don't think he needs to try yet, preseason is not as important to veterans.

3. I'm high on Turner but he is not as good as Dre, yet. He won't ever defend like Dre but I think he can be a better option on offense eventually.

4. They both scare me (Hawes and Voose)

5. I hated Matt Cord for this reason, and I really hated how he sounded like he was annoyed whenever the other team scored. I felt like I was at a fucking carnival instead of an NBA game. I can't say anything good or bad about the new guy, but I am thrilled that Matt Cord has been sent to purgatory (a.k.a. Sixers.com)

Dwight reply to MCT on Dec 20 at 22:27

Like a carnival? If you go to any other game in the NBA it's the same thing. They cheer the name when the guy on our team scores and they lament when the guy on the other team scores.

Hell, even at the Eagles games and Phillies games they at least emphasize a player's name when they make a tackle or are up at the plate.

Trust me on this one. If you hear this new guy, you will want Matt Cord back. He simply reads the names, like he doesn't even want to be there.

MCT reply to Dwight on Dec 20 at 22:34

I understand that they are supposed to be enthusiastic for the home team and less so for the other team, but Cord was a cartoon character.

That being said, doesn't sound like the new guy is any good either. Wish they could find a happy medium.

Tray reply to Dwight on Dec 21 at 0:01

No, that whole "wah-wah" thing he did when a player on the other team scored was insufferable. I could understand if he did it at important points in the game, but we could be up 30 and he'd still do his faux-Eeyore voice when the opponent scored.

YoungGun13 on Dec 20 at 22:03

Should we offer joel przybilla anything?

Dwight reply to YoungGun13 on Dec 20 at 22:16

The Vanilla Gorilla?

Like the new comments system by the way, Brian.

Holiday: "Every last person in here is disgusted with how we played."

-after he just scored 15 in the last 5 mins to win a preseason game. fucking LOVE it.

Minutes leaders tonight:

Jrue - 35 minutes
Iguodala - 33 minutes
Turner - 32 minutes

Then Thad at 26.

Brackins didn't play tonight, huh? DNPCD for him and Nocioni. (Nocioni and he?)

I was at the game tonight. Something that sparked my attention: at the beginning of the game during the intros where they play the video clips of past sixers players leading into the current team - last season the last clip was of Iguodala scoring, but this time the last clip was of Jrue Holiday.

Looks like new ownership is going to promote Jrue as the team leader.

I don't care all that much about who they promote, but this is the smart move. Jrue is the future, if the future is currently on the roster.

Cousins picking up right where he left off, so far.

1/5 from the floor, 1/4 from the line, 1 turnover, 3 fouls in 15 minutes so far. 3 points on 8 possessions used.

Is there a site to see what lineups were on the court together most frequently or is that reserved for regular season games only?

I want to see more Jrue, Dre and ET lineups. I know it isn't our best shooting lineup but those three all defend and are all at their best when they're going to the cup.

Despite the odd name, popcorn machine is a good source for gameflows that show how each unit did. They will have tonight's games up in the morning.

They're a really good source as well.

I track that during the regular season. Every game will have a capsule, like this one.

I also maintain a searchable database of the rotations.

(now that we've all promoted our own stuff :) )

Was on the road all day, watching now. Speights stinks.

Sure does.

Rich reply to Brian on Dec 20 at 23:56

As I keep going, Wall gets an and one because Speights completely botches a hedge on a high screen. Could have drove a truck between where Speights was and the screener was.

Wait until you see the pick and roll where the Voose is the big involved. It ends in a dunk in the Voose's face, but that was the least embarrassing part of the play.

Rich reply to Brian on Dec 21 at 0:05

Haha oh boy that was bad. McGee stared at him like he was Garnett. The Wiz are very unlikeable.

Another Cousins update:

1/6 FG
1/4 FT
6 TOV
3 PF
3 points on 14 possessions used.

I'm predicting he's out of the league by the end of his rookie contract.

Tray reply to Jeff on Dec 21 at 0:39

Eddy Curry's still here.

His final line was just hilarious. 2/9 FG, 2/7 FT, 9 TOV, 4 PF, 6 PTS in 21 possessions used. It took a herculean effort for him to finish with more boards than turnovers. What a trainwreck.

Weirder things have happened but it's definitely possible.

goodgravy on Dec 21 at 0:28

dont hate on Hawes and Vuc....they'll be super useful players. they can pass, rebound, play a little m2m d...obviously not much on the rotation at all, but turner, jrue, iggy and brand all rebound as well, and with the superior perimeter d they should have, they don't need a stay at home shot blocker....we'll be good, trust me.