Welcome Home, Sixers

Great preview as always Brian - will try to comment from the game if i can figure out how to post w/my new phone!

Just like losing winning is contagious too. They need to get off to a great start tonight so that they can set themselves on the right track to win a ton of games on this homestand. And if they manage to go into February with lets say no more than 5-6 losses they will be in great shape. They have a terrific opportunity to have a great season. Now is the time to show what they are made off.

J reply to Xsago on Jan 6 at 8:31

Exactly. This is the opportunity to really solidify who this team is and where they want to go. There's something different in the air this season. I think this is going to be a good year for our Sixers.

Looking to see if Jrue and turner can put together back to back good games.

My wife and I go to the home opener every year, and I can't remember the last win?

I also can't remember the last time I was so excited...

Dwight on Jan 6 at 9:34

Anyone else got tickets to the game?

Tom Moore on Jan 6 at 9:54

Sixers have lost three of last four openers. Most recent win was Oct, 30, 2009, over the Bucks (99-86) with Eddie Jordan as coach. Iguodala led Sixers with 19 points, 9 rebounds, 7 assists. Thad Young and Lou Williams also in starting lineup.

Stan reply to Tom Moore on Jan 6 at 10:15

Ahhh, the good old days when Brand used to come off the bench and Steven A. Smith would praise him for it.

Tom Moore on Jan 6 at 9:55

What the over/under on the number of people that show up? If a team like Portland or Utah can sell out on their opening night, I don't understand why Philadelphia can't do the same.

Scott reply to Stan on Jan 6 at 10:40

i saw in an article that the sixers have presold about 16,500 tickets.

eddies' heady's reply to Scott on Jan 6 at 10:46

That whole article, while nice and all, makes me even sadder that they won't sign another big man. Cause money sure doesn't seem to be an issue.

looking forward to going to the game tonight
they need to come out strong and kill this team

16,500 advance tix have been sold. Whether or not they'll be another 3,500 walk ups is anyone's guess. B/c its' the Pistons, I'm guessing no.

eddies' heady's on Jan 6 at 10:40

As others have said, makes no sense with this compressed schedule why the FO doesn't sign another big man. You'd think they would apply some treatment to their obvious achilles heel, no?

You would think you would start to see Nocioni spotted in for a few runs here and there beginning tonight.

Just as soon as Spencer Hawes appears to have turned whatever corner, it would seem that he would be the one to wear down the quickest due to his lumbering style, and that would be nothing but neglect by management if that's what initially causes him to tail-off.

It's mind boggling that they felt that Tony Battie, of all people, would be the guy to provide help with this tight schedule, he of the creaky knees and all even in a spaced out normal season. The ghost and influence of Stefanski still lives I guess. How else to explain it?

I can hear Doug now, "Tony's not going to be available to us for the next two games due to him playing 16 minutes the other night. He's got to rest his knees as we may need him later down the road."

I say to that - let's worry about the here and now, and deal with the down the road when it gets here. This team has a prime opportunity to make waves this year due to this schedule and their competition's follies (Knicks) and early injuries setting in already, which is bound to continue, just hopefully not to us (looking at you Vuc).

I think Speights really could've helped in this compressed season. I know it was only one game, but the Batman really looked horrendous (while last year, I actually thought he had some bright moments, especially defensively).

opening spread: sixers -8.5, o/u 185.5, which means sixers team over/under will be around 97.

Anybody else see Kate Fagan's new article? She links the struggles of Meeks with Brand's struggles.

eddies' heady's reply to Scott on Jan 6 at 11:19

don't know how much validity to put into it, but makes some sense. Other factors are at play too i.e. Jrue hasn't been his usual self setting people up sans the last game, Andre hasn't drove and dished as much instead taking more three pointers than usual, Spencer hasn't been kicking out from down low because he's not in the post that much.

Meeks had a really long cold stretch last season towards the end too, let's hope that's all this is. And that's all it really should be because his game doesn't involve this expansive repertoire where one part of his game is interfering or bringing down the other. All he brings is a little D and some much needed shooting, so the only thing it can be is he's cold, other than pressing too much which he showed in either the last game or the Golden State game before it.

Dwight reply to Scott on Jan 6 at 11:53

I agree on the main concept, but I don’t agree with Fagan that Brand’s poor offensive production has to do with poor play.

This year, Brand is doing a lot more dribble hand-offs. When in the post instead of shooting the ball himself, he’s giving the ball to the guards who then drive to the basket and either score a layup or pass it back to him or Spencer for the open shot. This suggests a difference in offensive philosophy. Collins doesn’t want Brand taking as many shots (in order to preserve his old body in the tight schedule), so he doesn’t have as many plays called for him. It’s not Brand being bad, it’s just a different role. His shot totals are half of what they were per game in 2010. But I do agree with her that Brand’s lack of production has led to fewer looks for Meeks.

Another problem for Meeks this year has been forcing shots. Defenders are now playing him aggressively on screens and curls. This gives him the lane to drive, but it takes away the open shot. Since Meeks isn’t great at taking contested shots or driving to the hoop, he’s been missing more. Now, whenever Meeks thinks he has a good look he will fire it up which leads to poor shot selection. Collins needs to tell Meeks not to worry and instead focus on trying to cut better on screens and pass the ball if the look isn’t there.

Wow, among some of the pieces of this incredible new game experience:

* rally towels and magnetic schedules

* Fans in the lower seats of the lower bowl will walk on red carpets and across velvet ropes.

Josh reply to Tray on Jan 6 at 12:00

How is this a new game experience?? Maybe Adam will hand out 3D glasses and market it as an all new 3D experience.

Shawn reply to Josh on Jan 6 at 12:17

I know you write this in jest but I think the change in energy and environment coming from the top down is a good change. The Sixers lagging attendance numbers, if it continues, could be a really big problem for the success of the franchise and the ability to attract free agents and other types of interest.

Alls i'm sayin is get on board, spend on the sixers especially if its done only to encourage sixers fandom

Josh reply to Shawn on Jan 6 at 12:42

I love the new Sixers management is getting involved, but do you think that rally towels and magnets bring back fans to the arena? Why not spend the money on getting shirts for the home opener? Even better, let us hope they are willing to spend money on the thing that matters the most...building a winning basketball team.

Dwight reply to Tray on Jan 6 at 12:04

The fan experience has already been ruined as far as I'm concerned. No more Matt Cord. No more Hip Hop.

I just go to the games for the basketball now.

Stan reply to Dwight on Jan 6 at 12:10

The owner wrestles a bear

I think they blew it with the selection of the new mascot. I was hoping they'd go with something more trendy and uniquely Philly, like the Woman Who Turned to Soap.

Losing Matt Cord was a mistake. It's only been one game, but I prefer Matt over the new guy.

Court_visioN reply to Derek Bodner on Jan 6 at 14:35

the new guy could be holding his cards for when the actual season starts. i'm holding off judgement until I see the player introductions tonight.

k-house reply to Dwight on Jan 6 at 13:57

With the dance/dream elements expanded/re-vamped now...they should just re-create Hip-Hop as a more plush/friendly option for the kids. Which is a helluva lot better idea than the other options they are considering. I mean, am I the only 1 who can't believe that they actually paid money for them?!

Stuckey ruled out, brandon knight to start

Have they even announced what the mascot is yet?

ben gordon also out(personal), austin daye starting for him

MikeW reply to sixerfan1220 on Jan 6 at 13:31

Where did you see that?

Is it just me, or do last-minute substitutions always come up big against the 6ers?

ryano reply to will on Jan 6 at 14:31

Not sure how much we need to be worried about Daye. His PER this season is -4.5...not 4.5...negative 4.5. With that PER he should essentially just suit up as our 3rd forward on the floor when he checks in the game.

Court_visioN reply to ryano on Jan 6 at 14:36

stop it, you'll jinx it.

crap.

"If you can manage to avoid distraction by the new mascot"

No new mascot today.

Ben Gordon's carcass seems to be putting up some nice numbers thus far.

Daye is a player that (I think) would fit nicely next to Turner on the wing. I wouldn't be opposed to a change-of-scenery trade for Brackins or Meeks.

No Ellis. No Stuckey & Gordon. Sixers findin' some luck again this year regarding enemy scratches.

Tonight's opening ceremonies will celebrate Bobby, Moses, Doc & others for the umpteenth time. [Yawn.] If owners wanted to do it right they'd have the surviving members of the original '63-'64 squad as celebrated guests of honor. They paved the way, not the '83 team.

Dr. J and that wild crew of bell-bottomed Sixers, including Collins, (the Mod Squad), didn't bring basketball to Philadelphia, though they don't mind if you believe it. They did however bring a show. Didn't win till Mo(ses), Mo(ses), Mo(ses) though. He da man, after Wilt and Luke.

Tonight I salute the late Ike Richman and the late Irv Kosloff, two South Phila HS/Temple Univ. alums/chums who bought and brought you your Philadelphia 76ers from Syracuse, NY in 1963. Also salute every member of that team and its staff, including Hal Greer, the best ever Sixers guard. They played the game right, represented the city well, got the ball rollin'.

Enjoy the opener!

Stan reply to Dollar Bill on Jan 6 at 17:12

"No Ellis. No Stuckey & Gordon." You forgot to add Jefferson. All in all, I think their absence has hurt more than helped us.

Any logic to yor thinking? Ellis is Warriors' #1 scorer. Gordon & Stuckey, Pistons' #1 & #4. Jefferson - who are ya talkin' about? All in all, any validity within your comment escapes me.

jkay reply to Dollar Bill on Jan 6 at 23:29

Al Jefferson Utah Jazz

Thanks. Was thinkin' Richard, Roy, George... everyone but Al of Salt Lake, a career 50% shooter & defender.