Paul Walks Through Door 6ers Leave Ajar

Da Jruth on Feb 10 at 21:50

Diagram: perfected.

if anyone cares the cavs game is in overtime

I really don't right now.

eddies' heady's on Feb 10 at 21:57

Andre shoots no free throws, yet Lou misses unusually as many as he does. Unreal.

Btw, saying they lost this game at the line would be way too simplistic. Their offense was pitiful, the completely ignored mismatches from the beginning of the second quarter on. At least five times, they wound up with CP3 or Mo Williams guarding Thad in the post and didn't get him the ball. In fact, they completely ignored it. For the entire game, if they moved the ball from strong to weak, the Clippers defense broke down. Unfortunately, they probably did that about 5 times after the first quarter. Running Meeks off curls sprung him for three or four jumpers he knocked down, then it sprung Brand for a wide open layup. They didn't run it again after that point. Just a pitiful offensive display after the first quarter.

If you want to take something away from this game. The Sixers' defense is most certainly legit. Their offense needs a ton of work.

The point about the free throws is that they should've still won the game, even with their pitiful effort in general, and especially on the offensive end. Defense will do that for you.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 10 at 22:16

I totally agree on the simplicity. Was kind of wondering where you were feeling the +100 scoring tonight coming from though? Not that it was way off considering the opponent's D, but our offense has left a lot to be desired the last couple of games or so.

Struggling without that high post big; which is nice and all, but really counter-productive.

I'd like to know where the plays they ran in the first quarter (and parts of the third) disappeared to.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 10 at 22:22

I would too, don't disagree at all. This one was a much worse feeling than the NJ game. Downright hurtful.

I guess it could be worse, could've lost by 12 to the Raptors.

btw, the Voose is doing his best Spencer Hawes 2010-2011 impression these past couple of games.

Da Jruth reply to Brian on Feb 10 at 22:20

Yup.

marty reply to Brian on Feb 10 at 22:22

Speaking of Spence, is our offense really that impotent without him? I'm not a hawes fan at all but it does seem like our offense has been inconsistent at best w/ him out. Obviously no drop-off defensively. Is there ANY chance Rod makes a move before the deadline?

Dwight reply to marty on Feb 10 at 22:38

Yes, our half-court offense is very much dependent on Big Spence. His passing ability really makes our offense move. A lot of our offensive sets are based off him making passes at the top of the key.

Terrible offense.

No ball movement. Apart from the Meeks curls it looked like there were no plays out there in the second half. Thoroughly disappointing effort.

And it seemed the whole team got out-hustled by Reggie Evans out there. That was not pretty.

Lin'a got 34 and the Knicks are probably going to win their 4th straight.

Tray reply to Tray on Feb 10 at 22:45

38. Kind of weird.

It's very cool to see a guy work his way up from being undrafted to being a bench warmer and then to become a starter.

It's funny because I've been following this blog that's covered Lin since he joined the NBA. And the people over there would analyze his 2 minutes of playing time even in summer league games and would debate over every miniscule thing he did. And now they're all going crazy because Lin is playing amazingly well for one of the biggest teams in the NBA.

TwoSense reply to Dwight on Feb 10 at 22:50

That's pretty cool. All astute observers, insights unknown.

First time all year I don't like the POTG pick. Thad still has no idea how to box out and does way too much watching when the ball goes up instead of getting in better position to get a board or putting a body on someone. It's really noticeable at times. I love the guy but he's as soft as it gets when it comes to rebounds.

Iguodala would have been my vote. The usual great D was there and he did a nice job of getting guys shots when they actually ran some offense. Hit a huge 3 too in the 4th when they really needed a bucket.

thad was POTG because he missed 0 free throws

so did Andre...

because he didnt shoot any

DonH reply to DonH on Feb 10 at 22:54

Oh and the one time I saw Andre get the chance to box out Evans he literally bear-hugged him to keep him away from the ball.

I believe the pick was sarcastic.

DonH reply to jkay on Feb 11 at 0:47

Yea...really just wanted to go on a little rant about Thad's rebounding...has to get better.

stonedeightytoo on Feb 10 at 23:02

The offense only generates that many points with 71 attempts and a bundle of free throws? Unbelievable.

Too many points given up in the paint for the second straight game. Can't possibly win like that; even with their minimal possessions advantage.

71's extremely few attempts, isn't it?

Is Lin for real? Does NY have a legit PG, maybe even an all star PG? I haven't watched him and he did have 6 turnovers but 38 points on 23 shots is impressive.

No idea. I watched like 5 minutes tonight, he hit a couple jumpers. Can't see most Knicks games because of Time Warner.

Stan reply to Brian on Feb 10 at 23:17

Just watched some of his highlights. Offensively he looks like he can do the same things Rondo can do except with better jump shooting. Athletically he's not that bad. He's not Deron Williams but he's quick and can dunk.

TwoSense reply to Stan on Feb 10 at 23:09

He's been for real. All it takes is a chance. Something the Sixers never gave much emphasis too, particularly on the perimeter. Or anywhere for that matter. They haven't found a gem in a while, not drafted of course.

Jeremy Lin > Jrue Holiday. You thought I was joking but that's cause you were ignorant. I will be laughing when Lin comes in to WElls Fargo and rips ur boy apart.

Dwight reply to Gozer on Feb 10 at 23:12

Lin's good, but you're insane if you think that he will keep up his scoring pace. He also turns the ball over a little too much.

TwoSense reply to Dwight on Feb 10 at 23:14

Sit back and watch then. Closely.

Dwight reply to TwoSense on Feb 11 at 0:24

So you believe that Lin will continue to score 20+ points per game?

TwoSense reply to Dwight on Feb 11 at 0:27

I believe that Lin will continue to show a very good player;
irregardless of scoring

Dwight reply to TwoSense on Feb 11 at 0:44

All I said in my first comment is that there's no way he keeps up the scoring pace and that his turnovers are a cause for concern, but that he's a good player.

So why are you disagreeing?

Stan reply to Dwight on Feb 11 at 0:29

I'm hoping that he ends up being a Mo Williams/ Jordan Farmar caliber PG than a Steve Nash/Rondo caliber PG.

Is Lavoy reverting to being that lazy, unenthusiastic bum we were warned about?

eddies' heady's reply to Stan on Feb 10 at 23:18

No, when was he portraying that tonight, or if ever?

That's not how you use portraying.

eddies' heady's reply to Tray on Feb 11 at 0:37

Yes, a delineation was initially made. sorry you don't see it that way.

Youre really in no position to be correcting people.

just got back so i havent read the game thread yet, maybe you guys talked about this - but to me this loss is a W if the sixers have their own reggie evans or deandre jordan or any center with a pulse...if they can somehow turn the speights $$ and pix and something useless like nocioni into a center who can get dbounds, even one more board per quarter, then this is an easy win like...just about every other loss except the miami ones so far this season...

Stan reply to das411 on Feb 10 at 23:49

I'm not sure if I want to take on a contract that will run past this year. Anyway, I think it's time to trade ET. Collins doesn't play him that much and doesn't fit well with Jrue and Iguodala.

Carl Landry is out for a 3-4 weeks with a knee injury and his contract expires this year. He is 29 years old and makes 8.5 million. Maybe we can trade Noc and Lavoy for him. New Orleans gets a younger player with potential and saves a little bit of money. Plus, with Noc on the floor they'll get some extra lottery balls.

Holiday vs D-Will 14 PTS on 13 shots, 2 REB, 7 AST
Lin vs D-Will 25 PTS on 19 shots, 5 REB, 7 AST

Holiday vs Harris 22 PTS on 15 shots, 2 REB, 3 AST
Lin vs Harris 28 PTS on 17 shots, 2 REB, 8 AST

Holiday vs Wall 17 PTS on 15 shots, 4 REB, 4 AST
Lin vs Wall 23 PTS on 14 shots, 4 REB, 10 AST

Holiday vs Fisher 13 PTS on 12 shots, 3 REB, 6 AST
Lin vs Fisher 38 PTS on 23 shots, 4 REB, 7 AST

Numbers don't lie. Lin gotta get the TOs down but he'll fix that.

Stan reply to Gozer on Feb 10 at 23:41

That's great and I think he'll be a good PG. I'm not sure how good he is defensively or how consistent he is at making jumpers. He might be better than Jrue, but I wouldn't come up with that conclusion until after the season is over.

marcus reply to Gozer on Feb 10 at 23:46

Guy has a couple of good games and he's the piece to the Knicks winning the championship. Let's see how good he is when the ball isn't in his hands the whole game because Carmelo wants to shot 30 plus shots a game

HW reply to Gozer on Feb 11 at 2:47

You're not factoring in the difference in pacing and offensive schemes--D'Antoni's system is much more PG-oriented, esp. when Melo and Amare aren't playing, while Collins have multiple guys distributing the ball.

I blame the loss on lebron

+1. That little rant of his was disturbing, he is delusional and seems to have the emotional intelligence of an 8 yr old

Stan reply to mymanjrue on Feb 11 at 10:51

What rant?

Golden State does a pretty decent job at scouting guards and getting late round/free agent gems.

First it was Victor Cruz not it's Jeremy Lin :(. This seems like NY's year- Inconsistent but pulled through by some miraculous plays coupled with surprising players to keep them in contention. If Lin is as good as NYK fans think he is, then our only hope to stop NYK would be Melo's reckless shooting.

I would honestly rather have Boston or LA win another championship than see Melo, the Knicks, and their mindless fans win one.

The Clipper perspective from ClipsNation:

So what did the Clippers do right? First and foremost, they protected the ball. They tied a season low with seven turnovers, and limited Philly to seven points on those miscues. As I pointed out in the preview, the Sixers are not a great half court offensive team, and if you can limit the number of easy baskets they get, then they will struggle. Which leads me to the other thing the Clippers did well -- they played defense. From midway through the second quarter on, Philadelphia got almost nothing easy.

The addition of Kenyon Martin to the roster gives Vinny Del Negro some options he didn't have before. For a long stretch of the fourth, Griffin, Martin and Evans were on the floor together. Martin had the primary assignment of defending Iguodala and so was ostensibly the small forward, but the truth is that those three together provide a tremendous amount of defensive flexibility. All have the size to battle bigs, with enough quickness to do a decent job on most threes. The Clippers defense was incredibly active in the fourth, switching screens and rotating agressively to open shooters.

It's hard to now how much credit to give to the defenses in this game, versus how much blame to assign to inept offenses and just plain bad shooting. How many games feature a team that can't inbound the ball in a crucial situation? This one featured both a five second count against the Sixers, and a turnover by the Clippers with 20 seconds left that almost cost them the game. Amazingly, even when one of the teams scored down the stretch, it was ugly, ugly, ugly. Philly's final six points came from the line, and none of the possessions had much promise at the time of the foul. Meanwhile, the Clippers last two baskets each featured Blake Griffin digging the ball out of a scrum and somewhat luckily finding a teammate who made a shot.

Turner and Voose get 12 minutes? 30 minutes for Meeks? 12 points from our all star? And don't give me nothing bout his D on Butler.

Horrible game by everybody tonight. Horrible!!

Horrible game by the coach, first and foremost. Another close-game loss. But I'm a conspiracy theorist for thinking Collins has a personal problem with Turner and I'm just a negative nancy for pointing out that he can't coach a close game to save his life.

First round and out, nothing this season has given me any indication otherwise.

Tom Moore on Feb 11 at 0:55

Thanks Tom. Anyone ask the coach about Turner's second half minutes?

I thought the Clippers were successful in pushing the Sixers around (at least when the Sixers had the ball.) The Sxiers looked shaken and I think that effected the FT shooting of their usually reliable guards, although making that connection is a bit of a stretch.

Words like "toughness' are thrown around a bit too much. But in this game I thought the Sixers looked a bit shaky out their against some aggressive bigs, much like the issues they had against the Lakers on the boards. Once the Clippers realized they would not be called for fouls when the banged on the Sixers guards they really started pushing them around.

To their credit, the Sixers responded well on defense, but I feel like the Sixers actually lost the game multiple times and were in a way lucky they were as close as they were.

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Feb 11 at 1:11

I don't really get the last part of your last paragraph. All told, the Sixers had them down significantly at least two different times. I wouldn't say they were lucky they were close at all, or losses manifold.

The Sixers played their game the 1st quarter. After that they were outplayed most of the game and made one big run in the 4th to get back in it. Also, they Clips shot 2 for 19 from 3pts. Some of that was good Sixer defense, but some of that is luck.

Here is the gameflow: http://popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/gameflow.cgi?date=20120210&game=LACPHI

The Sixers made a bit of a push in the early 3rd. But they never really pulled away and were swimming upstream most of the 4th.

The team scored 16-18-16 the last 3 quarters. That won't win you any games.

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Feb 11 at 1:24

But we were up in the 1st early, and also in the 2nd before coughing it up. You're referencing the 3rd and 4th quarters. Considering that, I don't think they were "lucky to be close". That's all. I get what you're saying though.

Tray reply to tk76 on Feb 11 at 1:46

Yeah, I mean, consider how badly we were beaten by the Griffin/Evans/Foye/Butler/someone else who wasn't Paul lineup. That's a lineup we ought to kill.

I'm interested to see if the Sixers cab get back to their dominating ways against lesser teams. I think part of their initial success in this "death row' run was a byproduct of how high they were off of all their big wins against bad teams.

Now we will see if the reverse happens- will they under-perform in the next few now that they are hitting the road off of a pair of disappointing losses to quality teams. I certainly hope they show up and return to their big win ways.

At this point who cares if we beat the garbage teams? The goal is to win in the playoffs, and until the coach becomes less incompetent in a close-game finish, and less ridiculously stubborn about isos for Lou and Iggy (yeah right), we aren't getting out of the first round.

Collins' track record is playoff failure, even with Michael Jordan. He's just getting us ready.

forgot reply to spiller27 on Feb 11 at 1:20

Dimwit. If he'd play Turner, it'd all be all right.

You're mature.

The Sixers are not an elite team, nor should we be expecting them to be one. They are trying to make the important step beyond mediocrity- and consistently beating bad teams is a big step. It is what would separate them from every other Sixers team in the previous 8 years. It would ensure they get a high enough seed to where they make it past the 1st round.

Maybe you think the Sixers should be consistely beating top squads- but I don't think that is sustainable. But Winning easily afgasint bad teams and splitting against good teams is not something to be dismissed as irrelevant.

If you beat the Bulls and then lose to the Bobcats 3 days later (which was how the Sixers have often been in the past) you are a 500 team. But Beat up the bad teams and you put yourself in a position to make that next step as a franchise.

All fair points, but this season is a failure in my mind if we don't make it out of the first round.

bebopdeluxe reply to tk76 on Feb 11 at 1:57

To me, this team simply cannot be any more than 2nd round fodder unless they can find SOMEONE who can score against elite teams in the guts of the game. It is perhaps unfair to them that the bar has been raised that high, this soon...but there it is.

Either they have the skills/size but not the will (Thad, ET) or the will but not the skills/size (Lou, 'Dre). I am beginning to think that they need an elite closer MORE than they need a guy like Dwight Howard...and perhaps that is where they need to focus their efforts this summer.

tk76 reply to bebopdeluxe on Feb 11 at 2:17

Interior defense and rebounding. Is a much more pressing need than a "closer. "

bebopdeluxe reply to tk76 on Feb 11 at 9:17

I respectfully disagree. The Clips are FAR from an elite defensive team - or at least, the stats would suggest that - yet we couldn't break 20 points in any of the last 3 quarters. We go through stretches in games where we simply cannot even get what I would call a quality shot...much less late in the game against an elite team - which is what we will see after the first round.

Don't get be wrong - I think our rebounding can improve, and it would be nice to have a legit defensive presence in the low-post (like Howard). But I think our defense - as a whole - is good enough to go deep into the playoffs...but I do not see somebody who will be able to CONSISTENTLY get his shot in a tie game with a minute to go in a Game 5/6/7.

We all knew that this was an issue (or at least, I knew this was an issue)...I just did not expect them to play well enough this season where it would be the difference between being just a nice team and being a true contender.

well said sir

Dwight reply to spiller27 on Feb 11 at 1:32

First of all, we'll most likely have Hawes healthy by the playoffs.

Second of all, the Sixers are 3rd in the eastern conference.
We're obviously not better than Chicago or Miami, so 3rd is pretty good for our team right now if we can maintain it.

Do you really think we'd beat Boston in the playoffs? I sure don't. The Knicks? I sure don't.

Tray reply to spiller27 on Feb 11 at 1:47

You keep acting as if the Knicks are an even okay team.

They've won 4 straight. You seem to think the first 20 games a season makes.

eddies' heady's on Feb 11 at 1:15

Why did Andre casually walk inbounds after throwing it in to Lou w/ 3 sec left? He just allowed his man to cheat way too easily,...... not that it mattered, the pass was silly from the start, toward half court, sheesh.

L.A. Steve on Feb 11 at 3:26

As Brian said, this game was lost with the offense, just like Wednesday's game. Our offense has reverted to everyone taking long jump shots. Nobody's going to the hoop, and that's real bad, because we're a below average perimeter shooting team,(In my opinion our current shooting percentages are an aberration, they wont last). Where is the ball movement, where are the cutters? I don't know what's happening, earlier in the year they looked good, now they're lost out there.

As far as our point guard goes, he looks lost too. It seems like all he wants to do is shoot jumpers. He needs to drive and kick, or drive and finish. I like Jrue, but I just don't understand what's going on with his game, he's not getting it done. Frankly, I don't think he's earning his minutes, maybe some time on the bench would help him get it together. And Lou, you know AI was his role model growing up, can't you tell, their shot selection and shooting percentage are identical.

A few quick questions before I split; Is Evan being squeezed out of the rotation? He came in, made 3 out of 4 shots, including a 3 pointer, and that was it, he was gone, 12 minutes, what's going on? And in the Spurs game his minutes were cut too, and he was playing well. Actually, I've noticed over the last several games his minutes are less than before, but nothing like tonight.

What was Iguodala thinking when he let the 5 seconds expire on that out of bounds play, why didn't he call a timeout?

I don't get that small ball at the end of games, we're getting killed on the boards and Doug has Brand at the 5, and Thad at the 4, with Dre, Jody/Lou and Holiday out there, that's small, real small. It happened again tonight, and it hurt us badly. Hope for better things tomorrow, I hope he gives Evan and Nik some real minutes.

all great points

The (failed) inbound pass was a bad mistake by Ig, at least try to throw the ball on an opponent and get it back, jeez.. then he added his patented "fall away bricked 17 footer down the stretch", but he will get another free pass because he's an all star, I guess (lol just being evil)

Funny how no one mentioned Reggie Evans, who singlehandedly changed the game in Clips' favor and would have been my POT had Paul not hit that tough shot

I also have no idea why ET sat out the whole 3rd after going 3/4 in the first, 11 min is ridiculous for how he played

anyway this game was lost on the off game and at the line, Brian is correct, and Doug Collins' post game quotes confirmed it: he should have been able to get us a better shot at the end, that play was crap, way to end a game...

*POTG*
*lost on the offensive end*

you make good points, the use of Turner in the last few games has been baffling. He had one of his best games of the year against ATL and since then he has struggled to stay on the floor

LA, seems like the coach is giving Lou a chance to be the closer and extending his minutes. Unfortunately, Lou isn't of the caliber of the star scorers in the league but I guess he's the best we got? I think, ET is getting less minutes as a result of that to my dismay.

Wolfie11884 on Feb 11 at 3:44

Please somebody give me 2 reasons why Collins continues to keep Meeks in the starting rotation he would be a 6th or 7th man at best on a top tier squad. Also, the only flaw against Collins that I believe is the way he uses his former #2 pick, is there some bad blood between the two I just dont understand why he hasn't gotten the chance to fit into the starting rotation somehow. Just my thoughts..

Wolfie11884 on Feb 11 at 3:47

Sorry just to be clear im talking about Evan Turner (former #2 pick reference) probably obvious to everyone on this thread anyway.

The Sixers attempted 8 shots at the rim tonight. 41 of their 71 shots were from 16 feet and beyond; 55 were from 10 feet and beyond. We continue to take more shots from 10-23 feet than any team in the league, and after today's game, we've fallen to second lowest in the league in shots attempted at the rim. We're last in the league in offensive rebounding percentage and FTA/FGA. It's been said that our low turnover rate is what makes us a top ten offensive team, but we're still 8th in the league in efg%. I expect that to plummet unless they start playing in an entirely different way.

L.A. Steve reply to Tray on Feb 11 at 15:33

Tray, your statistics are revealing, they tell the whole story about our offensive problems in a succinct manner, good job!

The lack of urgency on the last possession is concerning.

Williams' lazy cut to the ball and Iguodala's pass leading him to the sideline are inexcusable. Those are 2 of our veterans...very disappointing. Paul did a great job, but c'mon...

Every team has a shitty game here and there, top teams sack up and find a way to compete there at the end.

The lack of urgency on the last possession is concerning.

bebopdeluxe on Feb 11 at 10:53

I only saw parts of the game, and did not hear the post-game presser...any reasons given for ET - who certainly looked pretty good in the 2nd quarter (which I did see) - only getting 12 minutes of burn?

Collins was full as a tick with embarrassment/anger/impatience. Clearly let media contingent know that he would not be his usual entertaining self - or entertaining any questions of the trenchant or real or (especially) stupid variety; custard only (and make it quick!). To ask about Turner's abbreviated minutes would've resulted in a tall hissy fit. The pump was primed. No one dared. Instead, the public got his Andy Reid shtick... "It's on me; I gotta do a better job."

bebopdeluxe reply to Dollar Bill on Feb 11 at 11:44

So, are you saying that the media - perceiving that Collins was FURIOUS with Turner over something that happened in the game - just left it alone? Did they not want to put Collins in the position that - because of his BRUTAL honesty - he would have said "I didn't give a FUCK about the game...Turner made a mistake out there, so I put his ass on the bench...and if we lost tonight because of it, then so be it."

bebopdeluxe reply to bebopdeluxe on Feb 11 at 11:49

Sorry...this is not a Turner vs Meeks comment...it's just that - on a night when you are struggling for offense, a fair/legitimate question - and a type of question that Reid would surely get asked at a post-game presser ("Andy, you just played a team that was 31st in the league in rush defense, and McCoy only had 9 carries - why is that?") - would have been "Doug - Turner seemed to have had a pretty efficent 2nd quarter, so - on a night when you had three straight quarters of less than 20 points, and Meeks/Lou/Jrue were less-than scintillating out there - why did Turner only play 2 minutes in the 2nd half?"

Is that an unfair question for the media to ask after a game like that?

You obviously make great points. I'm sure I'm still just a conspiracy theorist though. There's clearly no bad blood anywhere on this team. And Collins clearly has a track record of his players never turning on him (cough cough).

bebopdeluxe reply to spiller27 on Feb 11 at 13:11

I don't think there is a "conspiracy theory" here...it may juyst be something as simple as Collins is trying to extract greatness out of Turner...and, in the guts of the game, "great" players beat Evans to that loose ball.

Perhaps Turner knows this. He knows that he needs to be great every minute he is out on the floor. To the extent that he is pissed about the double-standard that Collins has established, the only way to break through that is to do better the next time.

L.A. Steve reply to bebopdeluxe on Feb 11 at 14:59

I think I know the play you're talking about. As I recall, Reggie knocked to ball loose, both Turner, Brand, and Evans went simultaneously for the ball. It appeared that Brand was closest to the ball, consequently Evan stopped perusing it, then, for no apparent reason, Brand stopped too, seeing that, Evan restarted his pursuit, but it was too late. Reggie had made up the ground and captured other ball. Shortly thereafter, Evan's ass was on the bench for the remainder of the game.

Honestly, I thought it was more Brand's fault, because he was closest to the ball, I don't know why he stopped,. Besides what's the point, Lou, Jrue, and Dre make so many bonehead plays during the course of a game and nothing is done about it, why make a big deal out of this one? Clearly there were mitigating circumstances on the play, why assign guilt? It looks like Doug needs a whipping boy to take his frustrations out on, or, maybe, as someone previously mentioned, he thinks it will make him a better player in the long run. I don't know if that works or not, but it's definitely old school,

Your thoughts, not mine. Quit the cute posturing/warping. You KNOW what I've said.

Got a question about media swallowing its tongue in deference to King/pal Doug? Ask its members.

By the way, your 'Caps Lock' key is sticking.

bebopdeluxe reply to Dollar Bill on Feb 11 at 12:49

I KNOW it is. Yours does too.

My question to you was legit. Are you saying that the media stayed away from asking Collins why Turner only played 11 minutes (and only 2 minutes in the 2nd half) because they know that Collins has a short leash for Turner - for legitimate, developmental reasons (at least, legitimate in Collins' mind) - and, assuming he only got 2 minutes of burn in the 2nd half because Evans beat Turner to the ball - did not want to put Collins in a position where he might hang Turner out to dry? Or was the media afraid of pissing Collins off by asking him what (I think, at least) many fans would view as a legitimate question?

No, I'm not saying that. My focal point in generous reply to your original question was Collins' heightened sensitivities/defenses/intransigence to questions IN GENERAL. Turner was a subplot, one elephant in the room, the potential subject of myriad potential questions that went mercifully unasked.

'Heat & kitchen' adage applies to Collins too. Gets paid to answer questions in team's glorious moments AND following troubling defeats. Media seems to like him, respect him (maybe a little too much); courteously gave him a pass, at least for one emotionally-draining night.

bebopdeluxe reply to Dollar Bill on Feb 11 at 13:28

Fair response...but I wonder if Kate Fagan would be giving Collins a free ride on this Turner thing (which, with games like last night, is becoming a bigger elephant every passing day).

Kate, if she hadn't tally-hoed, would be writing with probative forthrightness and insight on Sixers, as was her custom. The Turner Saga would've been grist for her reporting mill in my opinion.

She'd probably still be writing weekly articles about how they have to trade Iguodala for Monta Ellis.

Admit it, you read her religiously. Say what you want, she added commitment and substance to the journalistic coverage of Sixers. Was a worthy read, even when topic was your sacred cow Iguodala.

I read her the same way I read all Sixers beat writers. Not sure what that has to do with her pandering to the lowest common denominator of her readers and commenters.

Kate Fagan didn't strike me as a panderer in the least; alert, open-minded, analytical and responsive - yes.

I know you don't prefer her replacement John N. Mitchell because you recently bashed his work (after holding your tongue).

Do you prefer smoochy Bob "My sense is, perhaps" Cooney? Doug takes him out of his pocket at press conferences and winks at him for the world to see. A Pulitzer not forthcoming anytime soon.

I don't really prefer anyone. I recognize it when I think one of the writers has a good piece. I also appreciate it when they take advantage of the new media landscape, something Kate did a great job of and Tom Moore continues to. To me, Kate turned a bad corner when she started writing pretty regular columns about how trading Iguodala was a good idea which was a shift from here and seemed fueled more by the hundreds "IGGY SUX" comments on Philly.com than any sound basketball analysis. But whatever, it's neither here nor there. She was clearly better than her replacement and she's on to new things, wish her nothing but the best.

Someone get this drill to doug: no one leaves the gym until they make 10 in a row. Then 2 in a row will come with high confidence by comparison

Glad I slept in. Lin trolls, Turner conspiracies and just general panic over a 1-point loss to a really good team.

bebopdeluxe reply to Brian on Feb 11 at 13:19

It's not a conspiracy as far as I am concerned. I would just love it if Collins would come out and say "I think Evan has a chance to be truly great...and so my expectations for him are high...and the great ones simply do not make the kind of mental or hustle mistakes that he makes. When Evan realizes this, and truly dedicates himself to greatness, the minutes, shots and glory will be there for him."

I would certainly admit that Turner fancies himself to be a star that only needs the minutes to prove it...and I can see how that would rub Collins the wrong way. But until there is a clear understanding of what Collins is trying to do here (perhaps the media has already been let in on this, so they don't ask him questions like "why did Turner only play 11 minutes last night?"), people will continue to be frustrated with what looks like a silly distribution of minutes last night - especially since Meeks, Lou and Jrue weren't exactly setting the world on fire.

Do you think it was a coincidence that when Collins went to a Meeks/Lou backcourt late in the 3rd, the Clips went on a 16-2 run?

I too saw the 2nd QTR ---turner looked like he was going to have a big night. I went out---came home and saw they lost but also saw Turner played like 3 minutes or so in 2nd half. WTF ? If Collins is not playing Turner because of a dumb mistake, fair enough. But couldn't you bench Lou almost every game for doing stupid crap ?