Sixers Die By The Three, Repeatedly

last night, PG superiority

full Nelson: 14 assists, 2 TO, 5-8, 12 pts, 29 min
subdued Holiday: 5 assists, 5 TO, 1-8, 3 pts, 25 min

'half-pint' throttled 'quart bottle'

Jrue with more turnovers than points. Cannot have that from the starting point guard.

We got a gift from the Celts last night though, and the Atlantic lead remains at 4. Very very soon it will be the Knicks chasing us.

I was really down on the last few drafts... but this is the year. We have not even started hearing about the internationals and the NCAA players alone are good enough to make this a multiple future all-star draft.

If there ever was a time for the Sixers to acquire a pick in the 5-8 range this year is it. And if Drummond somehow slides down into that range because of other players emerging then it would be tremendous opportunity to get a Bynum-like center.

Anonymous reply to tk76 on Feb 16 at 10:43

And how would the sixers go about obtaining a pick in the 5-8 range. They don't really have the assets to obtain such a pick. It's clear to many that this is a deep quality draft so the picks will have more value. The young guys that the sixers would offer like Nikola and Evan have not really shown enough to be picks in the 5-8.

Yes, it would be a great time for the sixers to get a pick in the top 10, but aside from a massive losing streak, I don't believe they have the assets to get one in a mediocre draft let along a good one

Stan reply to tk76 on Feb 16 at 10:50

I was hoping that John Henson would slip down to #16 earlier this year but it seems like we'll have a bottom 20 pick. I would be willing to trade Turner or Lou along with Vuc and Lavoy for a lottery pick. I would to take on a bad contract just to get a lottery pick. Anyway, IMO Drummund is a top 3 pick.

Jordan Farmar, Johan Petro, and an unprotected 1st round draft pick for Nocioni?

Feb 1 defeat of Deng-less Bulls and consequent 16-6 record may prove to be Sixers high water mark. Last night's defense reminded me of Doug's in the mid-70s.

Now 20-10, with freshly Lin-oleumed Knicks stepping on opponents' intentions, giving pause, breeding concern.

As some have said, Sixers current offensive approach is soft, too reliant on jumpshots and hurried slashes to basket. Dislike lane bumps? Forfeit free throws, increase scoring drought odds.

10 games over .500 can't be their high water mark, they were 11 games over heading into last night.

Sure can, winning %-wise - .727 (then) to .689 (heading into last night) to .666 (now).

If you're going by winning %, then their high-water mark was at 10-3, after beating the Bucks (.769), which is a 63-win pace.

You are correct; and I am corrected. I must avoid partial reverse ledger scans in the future. :)

thewhettingstone on Feb 16 at 11:01

you know, good ol' speights. maybe he had things more figured out than i originally thought. he knew what his game was and what he could and couldn't do as a basketball player. what collins wanted him to do, that wasn't his game. so, he was happy being the best team cheerleader they had until thorn found a nice new home for him. i don't really see what the sixers can do with two 2nd round picks, but from mo's side, he played it beautifully. good for him. i think it's a problem sometimes, at the nba level, when a coach tries to mold a player's abilities into an existing system rather than recognizing what they're already good at and finding space within the system for them to flourish at that. doug has heart, passion, grit, and all of the qualities of a great leader whom you would want to follow into battle. i'm gonna call it like i see it though, and say that he is not, however, the best of coaches. watching him during a game, it looks like his brain is working a mile a minute. i think doug over-analyzes everything, and consequently, the guy is a bundle of nerves waiting to explode. i think this is why his decisions sometimes seem erratic and confound some of us. we're in front of tvs/monitors, safely playing coach without the pressures of an in-game situation (whatchya call it, armchair quaterbacking), and from our calm vantage point we know what doug needs to do and isn't doing. i think there's some truth in that, which isn't me saying that i know basketball better than doug collings, because i most certainly do not, but it is me saying that maybe doug needs to relax a bit more during games. no, he's not getting thrown out of games for his temper and what not, that's not what i mean. it's in his face, he's twitchy. there's so much going on in that skull of his and he can't slow it down. do more yoga doug.

but 16-6 is a higher winning % than 20-9

Fair point. A .727 winning percentage is a 60-win pace in an 82 game season. If that's the high-water mark, I can live with it. They're currently on a 55-win pace in an 82-game season.

Mo Speezy with 20 and 18 last night...if you guys still think we are better off this season with Vuc and Lavoy playing minutes over him, you're nuts.

For this team, yes, I guess I am nuts.

Nobody ever claimed Speezy lacked talent.

Even including last night's game, he's been terrible in MEM. .463 TS%.

Grizz 13-9 since Speights was inserted as starter in Game 9 (3-5 until then). Has chipped in to team cause (spottily), helped fill rebounding gap left by Randolph injury/absence. Needed to get away from Doug, who's a basketball "purist" - and a nemisis to some.

Sixers widely divergent team rankings:

AST 3 coach scheme & instruction
TOV 1 coach insistence (bedrock demand)
DRB 1 player dedication & facility

FTA 26 player physical softness; regard by referees
FT% 27 player mental softness
ORB 28 player limitation plus caution via instruction

FTA is also at least partially a result of the TOV philosophy. They need to find more of a balance, I think.

Agree with both statements.

Collins has Jrue and Turner in straitjackets. Turnovers down (excepting last night) along with creativity of more natural rhythms of play.

On the other hand, he's really short of impacting veteran beef to complement earthbound Brand, "Gumby" Thad. Battie tries; end-of-line grunt. Rookies lend, but ya can't depend. Hawes, if he returns, likes the key area, not big on the rough stuff. Banger shortage will hurt come playoff time.

They are trying to turn lemons into lemon-aid, and there will always be major trade-offs when you are trying to maximize wins from this type of roster.

At this point I am fine with these trade-offs because the players important to their future are all getting PT (if not as much as some would like.) And I think it is teaching them some lessons about winning and ball protection that will help them develop into better pros.

I'm expecting that each of these players will gradually earn a longer leash as they gain further experience. It is the same for any on the job apprenticeship. You start be putting strict limits on what someone is allowed to do and then let them freelance more as they become more accomplished.

If you are teaching someone to play guitar you don't have them free-form jamming their first week. You have them learn to master some "boring" basics that they can rely on and it will give them the foundation to be more free and creative later on.

..I guess this makes me a brainwashed Collins lemming.

Or to sum it up... wax on, wax off.

Or a deacon in the Collins Evangelical Church Of Roundball Saints. :)

At the very least, it makes you voluble in a thoughtful kind of way.

Hobbes reply to Dollar Bill on Feb 16 at 16:02

This prose style and sense of wit sounds familiar. Is this the artist formerly known as something along the lines of "jjg"?

Rightchu are Hobbes. Long time, no see. How's the wife and kids? Last time we talked you were dreamin' of a Sixers championship. Now... oh yeah, same dream. The Philadelphia Sisyphus-ers.

Tom Moore on Feb 16 at 19:41

Sixers story: Hawes' continued absence may not increase chance of a trade:

Had a 15-minute chat with Rod Thorn today and wrote a story off of it (Sixers' practice was optional and there was no media availability).

Would it completely shock anyone if the Sixers traded Nocioni and Turner for Kaman?

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Feb 16 at 23:21

Don't think the Sixers want Kaman. Would be stunned if Turner is included - only way, IMO, would be something like Nocioni, Battie and Brackins to make money work and I think that's highly unlikely.

Stan reply to Tom Moore on Feb 16 at 23:33

Wouldn't that require the Sixers to take on extra salary and possibly pay the luxury tax? I don't think the Sixers would be interested in paying for a guy that would make us marginally better

Turner for Kaman? Who wouldn't be shocked? That trade is a joke.

I would be. To trade Turner to rent a player that's not going to put us in the championship level would be unforgivable IMO.

I'd be pissed, but I can't say it would shock me.

Does it say something about me that I'm choosing to watch the Pacers/Nets over the Bulls/Celts? Rooting for Indy to drop their sixth straight.

Charles drafted Turner. These are the teams. I gotta go with team Chuck.
Here is the team Charles Barkley drafted:

Kemba Walker
Landry Fields
Norris Cole
Brandon Knight
Tristan Thompson

MCT reply to Steve V on Feb 16 at 20:49

I think the last 4 players available were picked randomly, probably so no one was officially the last one picked. Turner went second to last.

Pretty amazing that Shaq picked Kemba Walker and Norris Cole on purpose. Shows how much these guys actually watch every team.

Tray reply to MCT on Feb 17 at 0:47

In this sort of game Kemba could do well.

MCT reply to Tray on Feb 17 at 0:53

I think all 20 of them should shine, considering there is no defense in this game.

Statman reply to Steve V on Feb 16 at 21:02

Wow, how far has John Wall's stock fallen that he was drafted 12th? Shaq had an opportunity to pick Wall 11th but took Kemba Walker instead.

Poor ET wasn't taken among the top 16 picks. Like Thad in the rookie game a few years ago, Turner's game isn't flashy enough to stand out in a game like this ...

Stan reply to Statman on Feb 16 at 21:24

Can someone give me the order in which the players were drafted? Looking for it is very frustrating

MCT reply to Stan on Feb 16 at 21:32

There's video up on NBA.com

The list that Steve wrote above is correct except that Wall was picked after Hayward by Barkley, not first. Shaq picked 1st and had every odd pick; Barkley had every even pick (not exactly fair). So the order was Blake, Irving, Lin, Cousins, etc. As someone else noted, the last four players (two on each team) were not "drafted" but assigned by random draw.

Lin picked 3rd?

Norris Cole
Tiago Splitter
Kawhi Leonard
Brandon Knight
Evan Turner
Tristan Thompson

Indy pulled it out over the mighty Nets. Meanwhile, looks like the Celts are going to lose to the Bulls minus Rose.

Stan reply to Brian on Feb 16 at 23:26

Allen, Rondo and Peirce all had more shots than points.

Kyle Korver kind of sucks. I would take Meeks over him

Korver is atrocious. Considering their respective contracts, I'd prefer Meeks hands down, and I can't stand Meeks as is well documented. If I had a choice I'd take neither, but Korver is one of the worst players in the NBA imo.

johnrosz reply to spiller27 on Feb 17 at 2:24

Meeks will be lucky to have half the career that Korver has had. Haven't watched a ton of CHI ball this year, but hard for me to believe he still isn't a useful player if put in positions where he can be successful. Always liked Korver, about 1000 times more than I like Jodie.

..does anyone else have a bad bad bad feeling that the Sixers are going to get destroyed by Lamar Odom tomorrow night?

Why is Chase Buddinger in the dunk competition? I watched his dunk video and it was less than inspiring.

Comedic value?

Spencer for hire reply to Brian on Feb 17 at 7:33

He may not be a great dunker but he will look good here next year if Lou opts out. He is unrestricted and all this Korver talk has me hoping they target Budinger.