Sixers Should Follow MIL's Script

Get a big lead by the 4th qtr :)

That Celts/Houston game last night was like watching the Sixers play the Sixers late in the fourth and in OT. Neither team seemed to want to win.

Sounds like the perfect game to give #12 an awful lot of minutes, no?

/duckandcover

I'm fine w/ starting him and giving him big minutes. I'd like to see him grab about 12 boards and initiate the break, so long as the break doesn't end with him missing a jumper.

Heh the trade machine things this deal would not impact the Sixers' winning percentage...I kind of suspect it would...

hmm or another challenge trade...Brack and Nocioni for Darko and Anthony Tolliver, hmm...does anybody think Thorn or that guy from the Kings are even trying to make mini-deals like this?

Last one and I'll stop: EB, Lou and Brackins out, DH12 and Ariza back...almost certain Brian would have to change the name of the blog if this ever happens...

eddies' heady's on Mar 7 at 8:44

If they don't win another game this whole year, I want them to win THIS one.

Of course, any other times we play the hated this year would count too.

Jrue better grow a sack, and quick.

Does it look like he gained weight to anyone? I haven't noticed, but I probably wouldn't.

MCT reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 10:47

He does seem slower than he did at the beginning of the season, but I figured it was just due to his poor play. He seems to play at a faster pace when he is confident.

Charlie H reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 12:56

Watching the Chicago game I thought he looked a little bulky. He needs to be lighter on his feet.

has anyone else seen this article from Spike Eskin:

from the article:

Stan Hochman, long-time writer for the Philadelphia Daily News, says that there’s a reason for Turner’s troubles. “There’s an explanation for Turner’s inconsistent play. One of these days, the team, with Turner’s permission, will reveal it. And then the criticism will back off,” he said during an interview with 94WIP’s Angelo Cataldi and The Morning Team on Wednesday.

Is it some kind of health issue? Mental health?

Scott reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 10:28

maybe it could be related to the weight gain thing? I have no idea.

That doesn't sound good. I don't want an answer to his poor play, I want to see him improve. An explanation suggests he won't improve and won't have trade value.

matt reply to tk76 on Mar 7 at 10:42

Or some personal/medical/other issue will soon be rectified and he'll be like Mike

bebopdeluxe reply to matt on Mar 7 at 10:59

Word.

thatguy on Mar 7 at 10:57

it is his voice, nobody can take him seriously because of his voice.

I hope everything's OK w/ Turner, but whoever leaked this should be found and fired. If they had any hopes of trading him, if he had any remaining value, this type of thing submarines that.

GoSixers reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 11:23

I also find the journalist questionable for writing such a thing. It's baseless speculation, rumor, and though it probably leads to a lot of 'witty' (for philly.com) comments on philly.com, and may generate traffic, it's horrible journalism.

Turner's pregnant with ambition, lacking proper nutrition (jumpshot, quickness, concentration, eagerness to play off ball). Other than that, what a pick!

Stan, old teaser.

GoSixers reply to tk76 on Mar 7 at 11:45

As a doctor you should know there are many expalanations that could explain a drop off in focus on play that are fixable. And that's before we get to the emotional stuff (break up, divorce, ill relative, etc...)

This is the problem with such shabby journalism

@preston76 Turner & Vucevic will remain in starting line-up tonight vs. BOS; adds shooting aside, he thought ET "played a very good floor game" at MIL

That's Collins that said that about Turner, or Preston?

I'm fine w/ that, though I thought putting Thad in for Voose would've really put a ton of pressure on Boston right from the tip.

GoSixers reply to sixerfan1220 on Mar 7 at 11:49

Aside from the shooting, how was the play mrs lincoln?

Heh. Needed a good laugh this morning. Gracias.

GoSixers reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 11:52

Phew, glad someone found it funny (and that i went with lincoln instead of the other option)

Spilling unsupported beans on a morning radio gab/screechfest is a long stretch from journalism.

If there's an issue impeding Turner's play, it's on the Sixers to go public with it. Otherwise, full expectations of him are fair.

Rondo: "We're not there yet, trying to get over the hump still. (Philadelphia) knows it's a big game and so do we. It will be an intense game." [Mark Murphy, Boston Herald]

L. A. Steve on Mar 7 at 13:34

Well, I see our host has it all figured out, a easy W against a bunch of old timers. I hope he's right, but I'm not feeling too confident. Their recent play compared to ours gives me pause for concern. Rondo was outstanding against the Knicks last Sunday, and Paul Pierce was an assassin, their old, but their skilled. Their 1 game out of the Division lead, so I expect they'll be motivated.

Last week we were asked to forecast the next 11 game segment. As much as I hated to do it, I saw us going 4-7, with this game going in the L column, unfortunately, I still see it going that way. Hope I'm wrong, I love beating the Celts.

They're, not their. Pet peeve.

L. A. Steve reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 13:46

Good catch!

Otherwise, yeah. I think there's a big advantage they can pounce on tonight. Push the pace and there's no way the Celts can keep up. If they allow Boston to slow it down, though, then they could be in trouble. Not easy, but there's a clear path to a victory here and it doesn't have a ton to do with x's and o's.

GoSixers reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 15:42

man - there's so many out there - i have just given up

your/you're
loose/lose - i'm so tired of reading people talk about 'loosers'
could of / should have
to/two/too

you forgot there in your comment as well :)

The internet is a wonderful thing, but it's killing English.

Not as much as texting.

GoSixers reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 15:59

Twitter doesn't help either. One of the reasons I avoid twitter is that the 140 character thing.

In fact today I came up with a new app idea for the iPhone of an auto-correct. For some reason my iphone thinks yiu is a word - and won't auto change it. So i want to be able to program my iphone to know yiu means you and yiur means your...my fingers are a bit big for these keys

FreeMattCord reply to GoSixers on Mar 7 at 18:48

I suspect grammar is no worse than it was 20 years ago. All the internet has done is expose whoever don't know how to write.

FWIW, didn't Mullin say something during the GSW game about Turner not being in shape this year because of the lockout offseason?

or is this mystery problem something we can blame on those weird Chinese sneakers he wears...?

bebopdeluxe on Mar 7 at 14:10

**UPDATE** - 94WIP’s Howard Eskin says a front office source within the Sixers organization assures him there is no problem with Evan Turner that they are aware of. “There is nothing going on with Turner, nothing, no problems,” Eskin said. In addition, the source indicated that Evan Turner has no idea what the problem that Hochman referenced was either.

Eh. This just muddies the waters IMO. Eskin might be the worst journalist in Philadelphia, if you can call him a journalist.

you cannot call someone who writes, a journalist, just because he writes. Put Angelo Cataldi in that group too.

Sharone Wright reply to jkay on Mar 7 at 15:06

Angelo isn't trying to be on a journalistic high horse like Eskin. Angelo is trying to entertain and be a jackass (maybe not in that order), and Eskin thinks he is God's gift to reporting.

GoSixers reply to bebopdeluxe on Mar 7 at 15:41

In my experience

1. Howard Eskin is kind of a racist
2. He's usually 100% wrong, like the opposite of what he said is usually the truth
3. Don't have him send you flowers, you might end up dead

bebopdeluxe on Mar 7 at 14:37
Alvin reply to bebopdeluxe on Mar 7 at 22:30

you can't handle the Shav!

He was a good rebounder. Seriously. At least better than our current big men.

Apparently, the Sixers aren't dead last in eFG in close games late. Of course, eFG is an interesting stat to focus on in those situations because it doesn't take free throws into account. I think if you did the same using TS% they might just be at the bottom.

johnrosz on Mar 7 at 17:21