Sixers Grind Utah Down

The announcers talked about jti yesterday in the context of this was Collins plan all along but Collins said himself when there were 20 9 at the time when asked the question of starting turner is answer was at this time if its not broke don't fix it.

Collins even used those words during the small training camp that at the time he didn't want to mess up what was working well. It also seems like the all the players are very comfortable with him starting and they all have said we have not seen what turner was doing in practice. So maybe Collins had been using jti a lot in practice and that is why the sudden change in the line up and all these minutes the guys already knew this was coming.

bebopdeluxe on Mar 10 at 7:14

I am loving me some JTI.

I am encouraged by Lou's play...if he can fit in like that, I am on board with him being on this team. If what was said after the game about his conversation with Collins is true, I am encouraged...and even though - for many reasons - I am happy that we are moving to JTI to close, there will be some nights where I am sure we will need BOSS, and he needs to keep his head.

Get well soon, Spence.

eddies' heady's reply to bebopdeluxe on Mar 10 at 10:44

Care to elaborate on Lou/DC? What was that about?

I believe Collins made a comment in the post-game press conference that Lou said something to him late in the 4th about how the unit on the floor was working great, so he should leave them out there.

GoSixers reply to MCT on Mar 10 at 11:42

Yeah, I believe that.

bebopdeluxe reply to GoSixers on Mar 10 at 12:01

I WANT to believe that.

Cause if they played like they did last night there is going to be a LOT more JTI closing games...and Lou's gonna have to be down with that.

This team just need a beast, the one who would grab boards from other bigs, cause when push come to shove in the playoffs, you can't rely on your smalls to get the big share of the boards, the one that would block and alter shots from the opposition and a finisher down low on the offensive end, just a monster dunker. Dwight is the top beast in the NBA right now, Favors could be one, who else can do this and can be get on a trade ? Does McGee from the wizards is a product of the enviroment: too young team, not enough veterans to right the ship, bad coaching or is he just a knucklehead ? Any other ideas ?

ryano reply to JH on Mar 10 at 8:27

Is McGee available? He'd be a great piece to add except he's only making 2 mil a year. The Wizards would probably want us to take back Rashard Lewis's albatross deal with him. Brand and Thad for McGee and Lewis? I wouldn't do that.

Steve V reply to ryano on Mar 10 at 9:35

McGee can be had for nothing , the catch is you have to take back Blatche. I might consider a Nocioni for McGee and Blatche. I know Blatche is a terrible player, but McGee on this team with this coach would be terrifying defensively.

GoSixers reply to Steve V on Mar 10 at 11:41

Well than McGee can't be had for nothing, and you're wrong..most reports are that the wizards want to hold on to mcgee - they do want to clean house - but mcgee isn't one of them.

Blatch on the other hand could probably be had for nothing, if anyone wanted him...and by nothing I mean adndres nocioni

Steve V reply to GoSixers on Mar 10 at 14:40

I read earlier that the wizards you can have any player on the team besides Wall if you take Blatche off of their hands.

GoSixers reply to Steve V on Mar 10 at 14:51

I did see that today, but I don't buy it.

McGee (according to the reports) is also a restricted free agent this year, so taking him on means you have to extend him right away.

I don't know how much raw talent blatche has, but he feels like a less talented over paid bigger head case than DeMarcus Cousins.

It's the kind of contract that should have gotten their GM fired...

Just don't buy the rumors personally, Mcgee is one of the few talents on that roster. If I were the wiz

1. Dump Flip
2. Dump the GM
3. Buyout Rashard for 12 mil (because it's better than paying him 22 million)
4. AMNESTY Blatche - admit you were wrong and be free of him.

I wouldn't trade McGee to get rid of Blatche since you can still amnesty him - I think they haven't used it yet right?

About 50% of the wiz's salary commitment next year is Rashard Lewis.

Leonsis is rich, and supposedly smart...that franchise needs a reset...i wouldn't give up one of the raw talents you have to get rid of bltache when you can just amnesty him.

Why would Rashard agree to take $10M less in a buyout?

GoSixers reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 14:59

According to storytellers his contract is only partially guaranteed...I didn't pull the number out of my arse :) Does partially guaranteed not mean 'buy out' number? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but according to storytellers he's only guaranteed slightly over 12 mil next year?

Am I reading it wrong?

GoSixers reply to GoSixers on Mar 10 at 15:00
Stan reply to GoSixers on Mar 10 at 15:22

haha. This makes Otis Smith look like a bigger idiot. He didn't feel like paying Hedo market value so instead he decides to trade for Vince Carter who had 2 years and 33 million left on his deal. The experiment doesn't work, he panics and then trades Lewis who only had a partially guaranteed contract in the final year for Gilbert Arenas. He then goes out and reacquires Hedo in exchange for a quality center and a contract that expires the following year.

Orlando would have been better off not having a GM than having Otis Smith. If they hadn't acquired Hedo, Big Baby or extended Nelson and Reddick, the Magic would have Gortat and enough cap space to bring in Deron Williams next year.

I would honestly rather have Dollar Bill as my GM than Otis Smith

Your slur, cur, did not raise fur, as it were. And if you were in a position to hire, you couldn't afford me. Now go out and play in traffic.

My bad, didn't check his contract, thought you were talking about a pure buyout. You're right.

GoSixers reply to Brian on Mar 11 at 14:47

Sorry - should have been more clear.

Shame the franchise is a mess, and that Wall isn't progressing, buying out lewis amnestying blatche, who knows, maybe dwight would have been interested...

Stan reply to Steve V on Mar 10 at 14:55

No thanks. Blatche's contract doesn't end until 2015. If any team wants McGee that bad, they can just sign him in the off season. Giving McGee 12 million/year in the off season would be better than extending him and paying Blatche as well.

Stan reply to Steve V on Mar 10 at 15:04

How badly does Washington want to rid themselves of Blatche?

Great game. Encouraging to see Turner play well. Although he did seem to have some careless turnovers, overall hes a big plus on the floor. Its not going to be every night that JTI, Lou and THAD all play well, Im interested to see what this new lineup will do in crunch time situations.

bebopdeluxe reply to Gdog on Mar 10 at 10:34

It is also encouraging that Collins seems to allowing a little more latitude with the TO's as these guys figure things out on the floor...not great to see Jrue/ET have 7 TO's between, but if the goal is to have JTI produce they way they have the past couple of games, you hope they can lose 2-3 of those turnovers over time.

And while it can be maddening in some offensive sets for EB to miss some of the jumpers he is missing, I can live with it if he gives us 8-10 rebounds and 2-3 blocks a game like last night.

Spencer for hire on Mar 10 at 8:43

The free throw attempts are up, the rebounding is better and there seems to be a lot more physicalness than when Meeks is out there.

Most teams rotate 3 bigs at the 4 and 5 all year. Maybe Lou, Jrue and Evan can do that at the guard spots starting next season when a normal schedule resumes.

One thing bothering me is how Lou has been on the wing more with Evan than he was with Jrue, something we always wanted. Is that by the coaches design?

Spencer for hire on Mar 10 at 8:54

In their last 10 games Thad has averaged 15 and 8, Elton 11, 10 and 2 blocks and Vuce 8, 5 and a block. If Hawes can contribute our frontline could raise hell against some playoff foes.

Tom Moore on Mar 10 at 10:16

Game story (with Holiday video): Williams, Young help Sixers run past Jazz:

As long as Sixers continue to shoot 52% from the field they'll be fine ;)

Thad, a constant plus; early J from left side was a nice counterpunch in midst of sloppy start, letting Jazz know they had an opponent to contend with, not a tomato can, in case they doubted. Has been strong all year without the hoopla/ass-kissing that flashier/needier personalities get.

I wonder if Meeks feels relieved that fire-breathing dragon Turner has at last been fed the raw meat of his starting assignment. Jodie's unabashed smiling on the bench, next to Lou, seemed to say so.

The scrambling way the changing of the guards went down this week is testimony #417,297,768,822 to the power of power, influence and money. I nearly believed I was sitting in a pew listening to Elmer Gantry and his choir.

Collins clarifies what many of us already thought - Evan Turner is not the starting PG now, but just one of three ballhandlers in the starting unit:

GoSixers on Mar 10 at 11:50

Danny Ainge, the president of basketball operations for the Celtics, has been asking teams for a talented young player and a first-round pick in exchange for the 36-year-old (Allen).

One more game until that glorious glorious two day break for this team...then they have a seven game stretch that might get us all depressed again, before they hopefully go back into racking up Ws mode for the final month..

Gonzo is attempting to rename our starting backcourt. So what does everyone prefer, "JTI" or the "HIT Squad" ?

Stan reply to MCT on Mar 10 at 16:27

I like "The HIT squad"

Hey Brian have u ever thought about making depressed an android? app?

Tom Moore on Mar 10 at 18:13

I think you have it reversed:

"If somehow Chandler does not play, Thaddeus Young will see his first start of the season playing the power forward position with Elton Brand starting in the middle. "

Yeah, he's saying if there's no Chandler, he has to go small. Basically, NY started Melo at PF and Amare at C the other night. Can't have Voose and Brand out there to defend that. I think Chandler's playing, though.

yea, my bad