I felt it was very very important that the sixers beat the knicks. I personally thought that they had an advantage (before Wednesday) going into every atlantic division game the rest of the season, and they had more divisional games to play than any other team in the division.

Right now I think it's 50:50 they win the division at all, lose tonight, and then i start looking at the sixers only being about 4 1/2 games in the playoffs right now

Chad Fords first first round mock (which I rate below NBA Draft Net in terms of being informed) has the sixers picking a PF, Andrew Nicholson, at #20

Patric Wilson of Florida goes at 22, who he calls a center

Based on the strengths/weakenesses that they have listed for both players, I prefer the guy from Florida

Magic says the sixers don't play well against teams 'like this' in reference to the Celtics.

I think Magic thinks this is the 80s and can't remember a few weeks ago?

no ray allen for the celtics tonight

The knicks are getting waxed in toronto in the first half...sigh

great ball movement leads to the hawes tip in

Dear ESPN can I see a replay...I don't think that bald bitch got the shot off in time

Thank you - it didn't seem like he got it off on time live either...the buzzer was going off before it left his hand...celtcis SHOULD have two points taken away at the next commercial, if not then I start wondering about officials

they took off the 2 points

Yeah, I'm 8 seconds behind (just went live) cause I took a second look at that shot when it happened.

Hey look turner (and Hawes) came out at the first time out - prediction one for one

Evan Turner

There is a balance between aggressive and stupid, driving into 3 celtics at once isn't aggressive, it's stupid...my guess is you'll be sitting soon

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 20:23

thank you for that KG non bucket, it was obvious

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 20:25

Scoring difficulties resemble Wed night. so far....

Didn't see Wednesday night, but 0 for 14 the looks were still good?

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 20:32

Yeah some of them were, but Hubie thought there were way more than I.

it wasn't so much the missed shots I was referring to though, it was the offense, and personnel in genaral

I thought Spencer, at least passing wise, looked better than he had since he came back

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 20:36

you're so generous....giving the guy credit, that's swell:)

'looked better' being relative

problem is I don't want my center passing, I like it if he can, but not primarily.

I don't disagree with you at all in any of that, trying to find a positive as the sixers move towards slipping to the 7 seed by the end of the night, and small improvements in Spencer are helpful since Doug will continue to play him.

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 20:43

You got that right about Doug playing him.

I was just kidding around though....

eb

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 20:27

We need a damn leader on the floor. It's so lacking at times.

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 20:27

Use the glass...

I smell a Sixers run... leading to a painful moral victory.

tony battie sighting!!!!!!!

About darn time

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 20:28

Jrue draws contact?! ok... and he actually meant to do it .. heh

Holy crap - Jrue drew contact AND made the basket (but I think the celtic guy Stiesma tipped it a bit?

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 20:29

annndd Lou back to the line off Jrue's miss.

The sixers are drawing fouls in the first, maybe that bodes well for the rest of the game. The Celtics have to cool off at some point, right?

thad jumper

think thaddeus learned from brand that you gotta have a spot on the floor where you can knock down shots automatically?

Or maybe he stole Brands ability to do it because Brand has no automatic spots left.

Thad has a couple spots he hits consistently I think

Brand is auto from the elbow still.

Not recently - no

Charlie H reply to joeykey on Mar 23 at 20:47

he never makes 2 in a row no matter where he is

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 20:34

I love myself some Doug for many reasons, but I think he just thumbed me the middle finger for inserting Tony Battie so early, particularly after what he did Wed night.

You disapprove of him using Battie? Just wondering, cause I've been wondering why Battie hasn't been used for a while now, only big man on this team who can defend physically.

Jodie just can't defend anyone and the celtics are aflame...this is nuts the celtics are shooting 68%

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 20:38

that's a good point about Battie. he should be playing 12 minutes a game. wonder what Brian thinks - he'd probably rather see Calvin Boothe than Hawes

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 20:45

Huh? I was advocating Battie, hence the middle finger reference.

Court_visioN reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 20:47

you can see where it gets confusing though, right? haha it does make it sound like you were against doug putting battie in.

eddies' heady's reply to Court_visioN on Mar 23 at 20:50

How can I be against it if he thumbed "me" the middle finger? You know, inserting Battie....just the way it read

That's why I asked, didn't read the game thread Wednesday, after watching the mid 3rd to 4th I couldn't really handle more of it...I think many of us have been wondering about Battie for a while now...Doug's usage of him (or lack thereof) is more baffling to me than any perceived 'hatred' of any former #2 picks in the NBA draft

Charlie H reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 20:51

was replying to Gosixers remark about his physical defense

& I didn't understand what you meant about the finger

Well done Tony - Spencer couldn't do that

I hate you lou - way to waste a possession

Im seeing another loss tonight with Pierce inserting the dagger. Celtics 85-Sixers 81

johnrosz on Mar 23 at 20:40

Why is Jodie in that ridiculous full defensive crouch 2 feet past half court on Rondo (a guy that can blow by him, and can't shoot a lick)

Tony bailed him out, got blown by a bunch of times, ugh he's just so bad

Why is Jodie in

Fixed

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 20:43

Thad!

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 20:44

nice drive by Evan

I never believe Turner is going to make those jumpers

Court_visioN on Mar 23 at 20:45

fuck you, Hawes. Back to back blown rotations.

so hawesome.

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 20:47

Thorn and Hawes need to ride off into the sunset - together.

With Lou and jodie please

Are all the 'canned' interviews celtic stuff tonight ESPN?

Elton Brand is so slow :)

i feel like he travels every time he gets one of those steals then dunks

He probably does - travels don't get called on plays like that often...

johnrosz on Mar 23 at 20:51

Jodie seems like he can do no wrong, how is he still on the floor? He's SO bad to the point where it's really all I can focus on when he's out there, I'm stunned.

Agreed. Why was ET taken out after 2 minutes and great transition D and drive to the hoop? And where is Voose?

eddies' heady's reply to johnrosz on Mar 23 at 20:54

while i grant you your fandom rights it's amazing how you can be that fixated on just him. he's not really the so-called problem out there, yeah he doesn't do much, but he's really not supposed to

As nicely as I can say, I'm stunned too...

Oh - he's a big problem out there tonight because he can't guard Rondo

Turner got benched at the first tv time out mostly because he drove at 3 celtics i think :)

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 21:01

I agree he's lacking on D, wasn't really referring to that, but he is "supposed" to do that when he's on the floor at least.

Meant more big picture. He's not the actual problem out there for this team, he's just smoke and mirrors clouding the actual picture.

Well, it's never really 'one player' that is the problem, it's the roster and make up and the flaws that are easily exposed because of the lack of ability of many players on the sixers roster, and everyone has their favorite scape goat :)

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 21:07

They do, but the ultimate one should be the front office. That's who I prefer to direct mine toward.

Oh - you have your special players you like to pick on - it may vary from game to game - but you often 'pick' on Evan - tonight you aren't fond of hawes

I blame the front office, and sometimes the coach for allowing some of the stupid things players (lou) do...but then again, i never liked the 'continuity' bs they sold us anyway.

But you really do seem to enjoy calling out Turner, either because you were against him on draft night or just to taunt folks :)

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 21:11

heh you call it 'pick on' ... i call it objective truth, real time though

At some point your point is made and it's a dead horse and seems kind of piling on...i can't debate evan turner any more after that thing after the knicks game - next year he'll get it together or he won't.

My biggest disappointment the past couple years is Speights anyway, as I was real excited when they were able to draft him

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 21:17

I wasn't referring specifically to Evan, it was Hawes and others too. It's just how you choose to receive it, it isn't piling on or rubbing it in from any draft night or predraft wishes intent, that's really the point I continually try to make that's missed.

The point you continually try to make being that the sixers shouldn't have drafted him?

If that's the point - everyone gets that is what you think - you've made it - repeatedly - people can still disagree with you - but bringing it up over and over doesn't make any sense any more than the whole meeks versus turner thing being brought up every game.

If you're referring to something else, I have no idea what it is - but I'm dealing with some bad food last night

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 21:28

bad food indeed.

yeah you're way off, with the comprehension. my point has nothing to do with they shouldn't have drafted him, that's a given. it's that they did and they're stiil around this muthafucka. Anyone could have seen with the most slanted eye that another wing, no matter his skills, was not what this franchise needed with a pick that beneficial. You're too focused on my previous comments and feelings on Evan - when my frustration and expression of it tonight is with the the front office who created it. Evan's just the symptom, those chaps are the disease. He's just like Hawes.... and Brackins ... and Vuc and Noc and Speights ...

just frustrated that's all, merely pointed straight toward 29 years of it too

In my opinion the draft is best player available and the sixers, in recent years (how long has Iguodala been in the league?) deserve the benefit of the draft in knowing how to grade out draft talent...it's possible that that 2010 draft was a pretty crappy draft, even the 'consensus #1' is looking awful...the only pick I would rather they have had right now is Greg Monroe

I think when history is written the 2010 draft will be a bad draft...which is just the sixers luck, getting some lottery luck in a weak arse draft is out of their control...I mean it's not like they passed on a great player and drafted sean bradley

Yeah-they didn't need a wing-but ET is NOT a wing!he is a point guard and the best one on the team, wish they would start him there

Agreed. ET moves the ball best on the team, and he's clearly most comfortable at PG. While I don't believe in making ET the PG at the expense of the team, the fact is that making ET the PG is BEST for the team as we've seen repeatedly the last 3 weeks. Holiday is a good outside shooter who doesn't really like to pass and isn't all that great at passing. He'll be fine as a shooting guard if we give ET and Holiday more than 4 freakin' games to work at it. They need a full season starting together and I think both will thrive.

Knicks down 16 in Toronto

get meeks off rondo

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 20:54

here's the inevitable replay of the 'it's all over' play from '65.

Hubie Brown demonstrating he has no idea how the modern NBA works or players thinks.

The sixers aren't going to draw 'anyone' Hubie, but the chaos in Clipper land gives me one of those scenariors where you still amnesty brand even without dwight

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 20:55

Get this damn lead. But w/o Hawes in there.

Shit Jrue, wth was that??? man.... just air

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 20:56

I could block a Meeks layup.

Missed layup, pf & tech on Jrue. Wow.

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 20:56

Who got that tech?

Is there any team in the NBA with a more motley crue of 'finishers' at the basket?

Hey Hubie - He was probably fouled on Stiesma block too - sixers don't get fouls -w hen they complain about it - they get techs

If Kobe got a tech every time he complained about not getting a foul call he'd be ejected every game

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 21:01

No. It's amazing how rarely Iguodala fills the lane on the break. He should be the best in the league.

Evan and Jrue aren't great finishers either...it's a team flaw, and so disappointing...

Court_visioN reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 21:04

turner was a good finisher early this season wasn't he? Something about making like 96% of his layups.

I remember a small sample size number like that yeah, he's at 68.5% 'at rim' for the year, which is an improvement over last year

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 21:06

exactly. with all the speed they have.... but you have to have good hands.

his head never hit the ground, just his back and some whiplash

Charlie H reply to sixerfan1220 on Mar 23 at 21:03

Is that what happened? I thought it bounced so hard that you couldn't see it.

that's ugly. always liked Pietrus.

Charlie H reply to Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:05

yeah, pretty clear on the replay

he landed right on his tailbone and his head snapped back back but it didnt hit the ground

eddies' heady's reply to sixerfan1220 on Mar 23 at 21:04

I thought so too after seeing the replay, but what was the actual 'thud' then? Live, it looked like his head snapped so quick, that it really did make contact. but on the slow-mo it appeared it never hit the floor, just neck whip as you described.

It was his lower back - he hit hard on the floor...moved so fast the back hitting sounded like the head - there's some sort of sound wave physics in it i never understood

PS - two things that should be disallowed in college basketball

Oregons home court
Baylors neon

If you missed it - Jason Smith got 2 games for his hit on Blake Griffin (though I think part of the suspension is about how he played it up to the fans after the fact...i saw it happen live...he was slapping five with fans almost)

Malik Rose is an idiot

What did he say? (I"m out of market so got the ESPN feed, but have not been a Rose fan all season though many are)

Stan reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 21:02

Basically that Pietrus is faking it. He compared it to NFL players faking injuries to get timeouts

Malik Rose is an idiot

However, part of me thinks 'silver lining', cause old people have a hard time getting 'back to action' after an unexpected rest, and the celtics are old

Over/under Collins giving more minutes to Meeks than Turner tonight?

Malik was accusing pietrus of faking the injury because he grabbed his head even though didn't hit his head

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:07

love how Hubie always says "ath-a-letic."

Court_visioN on Mar 23 at 21:07

Doug Collins you asshole, haha chose Ryan Hollins to take the FTs for the Celtics

And Hollins got a T

This ref seems to be a testy twat tonight

get jodie out he cant make a shot

too many minutes having both Meeks and Lou out there at the same time.

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 21:09

Got to hit those Jodie...

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:09

anybody think Jodie will make another shot this season?

Yes I think he will make another shot this season

way too many jumpers

call it when it happens or dont call it

Make up call for the technical? WTF

what the f is with all these long jumpers?

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:11

a foul on that blown layup? I guess that's about right - stars like Ryan Hollins always get the calls

Oh Evan - I know Lou slipped - but that was still a bad pass compared to where Lou was headed

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 21:12

Close hard here. Come on, Lou lay-in ... and one!

That's what Lou should do more.

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 21:14

Hawes is so awesome when he shoot a J

and a lefty floater being 7 feet.

Spencer

I know that shot from the foul line is 'your shot' - but only when you have time to set yourself - you can't rush it - you miss it when you rush it...you're 7 feet tall though - please - head to the basket more - PLEASE?

Court_visioN reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 21:16

i don't want him heading to the basket either. he's a terrible finisher in traffic. gets swatted by guards.

Saying that after he put in that nice 7 footer after cutting through the line makes little sense :)

why it isnt thad shooting free throws

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:15

Thad gets hammered (on the body & the arm) then they call a loose ball foul

Damn it Thad, you aren't going to get that call...don't slow down, don't initiate contact - you are just faster

and Doug just got a tech

These officials are BAD tonight

The officials are losing control of this game, someone is going to get ejected on techs tonight

Bad non-call, then they top it off with the tech for Doug.

Freaking bullshit.

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:16

Wow. Tech on Doug when the official knows he had it coming. Embarassing. That's 4 bad calls on one play.

what a joke.

I'll never blame the outcome of games on officiating, but the calls have been horribly against us the last few games

They've made bad calls both directions today - the hollins T made no sense

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:18

what if you don't drag your pivot foot Hubie?

He traveled

please run bass and garnett off their spots

hilarious when they say Hawes' hustle

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:20

I smell a Lou iso after this time out. I know - I'm really going out on a limb.

I'm hoping for another Iguodala iso that turns into an easy 2 for someone else cause Andre can pass

Well he found the open man

But the open man was Spencer at the 3

Why is spencer standing in the corner to take a three

Junk Punch

a hawes 3!, which might be worse

Charlie H reply to sixerfan1220 on Mar 23 at 21:23

might?

your right, it is worse then a lou iso

eddies' heady's on Mar 23 at 21:20

Hawes flashing and hanging out and operating at the elbow makes my soul ache.

I bet Doug's too even though you can't see it, meaning he is using him about as best as he can, DC knows he can't do shit on the post.

A coach's job (in my opinion) is to make the best use of the assets he has, and to maximize the strengths and mask their weaknesses...complaining or lamenting what he doesn't have isn't good for your team...so doug has to accept who doug is.

Isn't Doug one of the ones who wanted Dalembert gone? (I might have the timing off on that)

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 21:25

I think it happened when they were still talking. The consensus seems to be that Doug wanted him gone.

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:22

I can't believe Lou did that - moved both feet after the catch

To me it looked more like momentum carried him...thought he'd get away with it :)

Court_visioN reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 21:26

yeah, plenty of players do that after the catch and aren't called. officiating has been pretty weird tonight.

Charlie H reply to Court_visioN on Mar 23 at 21:27

you mean like a jump stop?

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 21:27

he wasn't moving was he?

Looked to me like he was he had to move to pick it up

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:29

Celtics 49 Sixers 43 at the half

Someone else mentioned that.

Maybe that will get Malik fired, worse than falling asleep on the air in my opinion

ESPN is obsessed with Monta Ellis and talking about him

good cut jrue

Court_visioN on Mar 23 at 21:44

back to back good passes by Hawes. Which is good because I doubt Hawes could have finished either of those.

Finished that one though.

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:46

nice Jrue

fucking Pierce

Court_visioN on Mar 23 at 21:46

Jrue starting to use some headfakes to free himself for shots around the basket.

Pierce another hit. unreal.

seems like they are making a lot better cuts into the paint tonight

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:49

EB hits off a nice pass from Andre and we have the lead

The offense in the 3rd has been great.

Charlie H reply to Alvin on Mar 23 at 21:51

yeah, they look like a real team, moving without the ball, taking good shots, crisp passes.... all the stuff they can't do at all some games

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:53

a stop off a Celtics timeout & Hawes blows it

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:53

that's it Jrue, attack the rim off the cut

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:54

EB, 3rd make in a row

AI93

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 21:57

they have the Celtics scrambling now. AI is clamping down on Pierce and Rondo can't do anything

eb

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 22:02

STOP

eb again

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 22:03

Big time 15-footer by EB

Charlie H reply to Charlie H on Mar 23 at 22:05

*18-footer

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 22:08

Games like this show the limitations of Rondo's game. He can't organize the offense when they get taken out of their game. And he can't score to snap them out of it.

Strong third

Can anyone recall the last game where the sixers had 4 strong quarters?

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 22:09

2001?

I would think at some point during their 20-9 hot start they played a complete good to great 4 quarters in one game, no?

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 22:13

yeah, they did

What a quarter.

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 22:11

ET step back - impressive

Gdog reasons this game doesn't mean the sixers are good

No Ray Allen
Pietrus injury - he got hurt - Kevin Garnett cried (I think he just sweats alot - bitches don't cry)
Second half of back to back
last game of an 8 game road trip

Gdog reply to GoSixers on Mar 24 at 8:09

Those are all good reasons and valid. No Ray Allen and second half of back to back I would have went with. Losing Pietrus and Bradley doesn't help.
But really--the Sixers arent "good". Unless you consider a 500 team(or maybe a few games over ) good.

Good teams don't go 2-14 in games decided by 7 points or less do they ? You guys just want to ignore that but its the truth. And one of those wins was against a team that didn't have its point guard. Wake up.

bebopdeluxe reply to Gdog on Mar 24 at 10:41

I don't see anybody around here projecting the parade route. They aren't as good as 16-6...and they aren't as bad as they were losing 8 of 10. They are a young, better-than-average team that is still 1-2 pieces away.

Who around here is saying anything different? And is it against the law to get emotionally invested and enjoy watching them grow?

Absolutely not. We all root for the team and some become more emotionally involved than others. I guess I'm just not one to overly value a player because hes on MY team----I look at things objectively. Just because I think Jeremy Lin is a pretty good player, doestn mean I like the Knicks. And just because I dont care for Jrue as our PG doesnt make me hate the Sixers. Sixers have always been the team I root for, but for the past decade they haven't really been even close to a championship. And really, even the year they made it to the finals with Iverson at no point and time did I think they were beating the lakers. Overall I am a BASKETBALL fan. Not just a Sixer fan so I notice players on other teams a lot. I wish the Sixers had some of them but their front office made many poor decisions which gives us what we have now.
A PG who is average but with potential, no real shooting guard, a fantastic small forward, an effective but rapidly aging power forward and a Charmin soft center.
The bench is great--with some pieces that are better than their starter counterparts. Unfortunately that adds up to a 40-45 win team.

You value no player on the sixers
You don't root for the sixers
you've never posted one word that indicates you want the sixers to win

You're a troll

Gdog reply to GoSixers on Mar 24 at 16:04

Not true. Don't blame me for your inability to comprehend. Have you always been this ignorant ?

Gdog reply to Gdog on Mar 24 at 16:12

And being how you seem to be in every thread of every game GoSixers perhaps you don't remember this.

turner to thad

great pass et

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 22:15

I know he loses it sometimes, but Turner can really play

bebopdeluxe on Mar 23 at 22:16

Welcome to the game, Evan. Nice to see you.

I'm stuck listening to the Boston radio feed up in the mountains. Nothing but excuses, it's like gdog is doing color.

Charlie H reply to Brian on Mar 23 at 22:18

Maxwell is insufferable isn't he?

The win is all but solidified, but I don't feel good about it. Tired team, without firepower.

Charlie H reply to Ryan F on Mar 23 at 22:21

I do. It's Boston.

Alvin reply to Ryan F on Mar 23 at 22:23

For one night only, just focus on beating Boston. It's easy for me, I hate the Celtics.

Brand and Garnett, two old warhorses with 20 each.

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 22:22

Lou with a ballsy 3 off the dribble

I hate that he took it, but gotta like that it went in.

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 22:23

Rondo has 17 assists? Maybe I should take back what I said. I guess he gets assists on all those mid-range jumpers that Bass, Garnett & Pierce hit. Kinda cheap.

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 22:28

nice break by Lou - a lot of guys would have passed it. Not Lou!

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 22:30

good d by Thad there even though he made the shot

better have that pick and roll defense on sunday, dont want any more parker *insert every big on spurs* nightmares

Splitter is the scary one. Dude is really good.

Charlie H on Mar 23 at 22:35

Turner jumps back away from the defender & gets called for a charge. They wouldn't have called that on Ryan Hollins.

They couldnt even try for the big macs? Im not there and im pissed

Called sportsmanship

matt reply to GoSixers on Mar 23 at 23:05

It wasn't even the final possession

So what? The game was over

Good second half - now, enjoy it for a few moments and move on to the spurs who won't be so easy to dominate in the second half...who have more than one big guy that can punk Spencer and the Spencettes.

If you come out and lay an egg against the spurs, your last 2 wins are against the bobcats and celtics

johnrosz on Mar 23 at 22:57

Doug is such a drama queen sometimes

just looked at the spurs schedule, sunday will be a 3rd game of a back-back-back but they play the hornets tomorrow so they might get some rest but the game is on the road so they still have to travel back home

Tom Moore on Mar 23 at 23:22

Sixers video: Part owner and Philly native Will Smith congratulates Doug Collins on Collins' 400th NBA coaching win (99-86 over Celtics):

Smith: "Larry Bird ruined my childhood."

Just got back from the Wach. Big win, great effort in the 3rd quarter. Crowd was good too

DO NOT look at the box score and think that Lou Williams was a significant part of this win, or even that he played well, really. Most of the game he was a net negative-got abused defensively and was ineffective offensively. The only reason the Sixers were down 6 at halftime is that ET and Jrue both got into foul trouble and Lou logged heavy minutes. Never fear, though!Top fourth quarter scorer(ha) Lou Williams was rejuvenated by the double digit lead and absence of pressure or intensity and managed to score 11 of the cheapest points you can get in the 4th by dominating the ball for at least three quarters of the shot clock. What a closer!

can't say enough about Elton Brand's effort. He was unstoppable in the 3rd quarter. He and Jrue Holliday turned the game around for the Sixers. Played with passion and a sense of urgency. Jrue ignited the crowd and got the Sixers back even with 2 consecutive steals in the 2nd before getting his third foul and going to the bench for the final 6 mins, allowing the Celts to push the lead back up to six. Jrue missed two open layups in the first half-should have had more than 15 points. Some nice dishes in the third as well

Despite being utilized incorrectly, Evan Turner had a much better game than his stat sheets shows

mchezodefa reply to mymanjrue on Mar 24 at 0:00

who exactly abused lou defensively? is it really necessary to make things up?

oh whatever, "abused" was probably something of an exaggeration...meeks was the more visible defensive liability last night but lou was his usual below average self on that end...sue me, i perhaps embellished because i found his garbage time demands for the ball so distasteful...you could just see he was very consciously padding his stats and it propagates the myth that's out there of lou as a "fourth wuarter scorer"-base don his averaging 3rd most 4th quarter points in the league-except that only vs the lakers can i recall lou's 4th quarter scoring being consequential. games like last night and the golden st game are fraudulent-in reality, the "give it to lou and let him dirbble behind the arc for 20 seconds" 4th quarter offense has murdered the sixers in close games time and time again

but fine. he wasn't abused. he was just low end mediocre-k?

oh and jodie meeks is not an nba player

Agree again. Been saying this for 2 years and the general consensus has been that I'm nuts. But Meeks proves it time and time again.

I honestly believe that if the Sixers released Meeks, it's more likely than not that he would end up out of the league. Most teams already have a 3-point specialist. Meeks does absolutely nothing on the basketball court except shoot threes, and he's not even very good at that. He truly belongs in the D-league.

I think seeing the Celtics lose and look old was even more enjoyable that the Sixers winnng.

Tom Moore on Mar 24 at 2:10
tk76 reply to Tom Moore on Mar 24 at 22:51

Good article. Agree with everything you said. There were questions whether the Sxiers early season elite level of success was sustainable- and unfortunately it is not. Saying the team needs a "major overhaul" is not an indictment on individuals as much as just a statement of reality.

I am not sure they will amnesty Brand. It would not actually save the team any money. It only clears cap space, meaning they would still have to pay Brand's contract and then pay someone else a new contract. I'm not sure this (or most) teams take on more expense unless they think it makes a huge difference.

Tom Moore on Mar 24 at 20:05
eddies' heady's reply to Tom Moore on Mar 24 at 20:14

I've got plenty of old drumsticks somewhere in a closet, if you happen to break a pair.

Thanks. (not too keen on the odds it'll be Iguodala though)

Tom, Thanks for stepping out, writing the article. All that needed to be said. (Doubt that it'll be heeded though.) Overhaul, yes! It's about time somebody in the media voiced it. Sixers' strut, a bluff; strong teams call 'em on it, stop 'em in their tracks.

Gdog reply to Tom Moore on Mar 24 at 21:06

Good article Tom. Been saying that all along.

remarkable brevity and candidness. esp. liked the part about Iguodala's FT shooting. it is what it is. would be very sad to see him go though.

Hobbes reply to Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 11:12

Yes, Tom, "thank you." You might be the only Phily sports journalist who's (a) watching all the games and (b) writing honestly and (c) calling it correctly.

It's a talent-deficient league, of course. And so it's not like we're an anomolous team. But after--what?--approximatley 15 years of pretty lackluster talent and directionless or misdirected management, it's time somebody got a little bold and cleaned out the front offices who evaluate talent and make personnel decisions. Our record on that front, well,...it sucks. And for a long time, now.

Gdog reply to Hobbes on Mar 25 at 12:17

Haven't they done that though ? New owner, new GM,new coach.
I would think they may have replaced a scout or two as well.
Its not the NFL---you cant really build thru the draft the same way. Not when your consistently picking in the mid to high teens. Its a talent deficient DRAFT. So rare that you get a elite player out of the lottery. It does happen, just never happens to the Sixers.

It's a talent deficient draft is it?

You're probably the only person who says that

Seriously -

Gdog reply to GoSixers on Mar 25 at 18:27

Where the Sixers pick (as I stated if you READ) it IS a talent deficient draft. There is rarely an elite player that comes out who's not in the lottery. Your ignorance never ceases to amaze me.

looking at the Spurs box score from tonight

manu didnt play(rest)
spiltter didnt play(back spasms)
gary neal didnt play(foot sprain)

duncan will probaly rest tomorrow according to pop