Bynum's Knee and Two Prelude Games

as a philly fan i'm conditioned to expect the worst regarding injuries, and to also be skeptical whenever the organization feeds us suspiciously timed news about the health of a key player. i'm very worried about Bynum and nothing i have heard so far has eased my concern. i hope they wait to sign him to an extension and make sure he's even going to be able to play basketball past the age of 27.

One thing I'm going to keeping a close eye on in the preseason and early part of the regular season is Turner's defense against the other teams best wing player. I don't expect him to be as good as Iggy, but we really need someone who can take on that role.

spencer is hired on Oct 15 at 13:20

Some more good news; we have the leading scorer in the preseason thus far [N.Young 21.5 ppg.] and he has taken over in 2 4th quarters. Hopefully he makes up for the loss of Lou scoring wise without dominating the ball.

Spencer's numbers haven't been overwhelming but his +/- has been good in both games, for what it is worth and Lavoy had back to back 8 rebound games.

Saw Young went to the line 9 times in the last game, which is a good sign.

This guy Mitchell just never fails to disappoint.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Oct 15 at 14:32

Please tell me that you're referring to that Morey's-a-failed-GM-analytic so Sixers-don't-need-analytic-GM piece yesterday?

Yeah. I mean, they're a major newspaper in one of the biggest cities in the country and they hire this guy to be their beat writer? Just get a kid fresh out of journalism school for Christ's sake.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Oct 15 at 14:54

In addition to being a terrible piece, thought the headline was so misleading. There's no way that headline shouldn't have had Morey or Houston Rockets in it. That's all the whole piece was about. Can't believe his editors approved that for the Inside the Sixers on the most circulated day of Sunday. The editors should be just as ashamed as the writer, imo.

Yeah, good point about the editors.

ha love that you guys are bashing this too. i read it Sun morning and couldn't believe what i was reading. think it was the 1st time i've ever commented on that site, that's how mad i was.

The fallacies and lack of logic shown in that piece was flat-out embarrassing. Sadly, I didn't see any of the national writers who were tweeting about it actually loop Mitchell in. I would have liked to see his response.

Rob_STC reply to Brian on Oct 15 at 16:49

I agree John Mitchell is terrible.

Anonymous reply to Brian on Oct 15 at 17:30

A pretty good dissection of the aritcle, albeit, admittedly, from a possibly biased defender of Mr Morey

You know, it isn't even the fact that he's panning Morey that's ridiculous. That's the least of it, he deserves to be criticized, it's just the moronic argument that he makes. How can you print that in a mainstream paper? That logic was beneath Bleacher Report.

Mike reply to Brian on Oct 15 at 19:27

exactly. i actually think Morey is overrated by statheads and don't think he's done a great job, but that has nothing to do with it. just because it isn't working out in Houston doesn't mean it wouldn't in Philly. it's 2 entirely different situations. he doesn't even address the Sixers in his argument. as i said in the comment section, just because "A" doesn't work for "B," doesn't mean "A" wouldn't work for "C." that's a principle most 10 year-olds learn.

Tray reply to Brian on Oct 15 at 20:21

I think my favorite part is that Hibbert has tweeted that Royce White will be a bust. So.... it must be so!

The game is on NBATV tonight, huh? Wonder what my initial impression is going to be. Feel like the first time you watch them on TV, you can really tell who's out of shape, who got bigger, etc.

TwoSense reply to Brian on Oct 15 at 14:29

Next 3 games are going to be on NBATV (today, Wed, and Fri). But weirdly, the Knicks game on Mon isn't going to be on league pass yet it's carried my MSG I think.

no kwame tonight so we dont get the pleasure of seeing the hawes/brown frontcourt

spencer is hired reply to sixerfan1220 on Oct 15 at 16:14

We may see more of Moultrie tonight than we do all year.

Watching Houston yesterday gave me the feeling Morey will have a pretty good team in spite of his tinkering. Asik is staying out of foul trouble at center and T.Jones and Montiejunis look like a couple of talented young p.f.'s. C.Parsons is a solid young s.f. who defends and J.Lamb could be good at s.g. . The one spot they screwed up was p.g. with both Lowry and Dragic probably better than J.Linn.

Sixers Rising on Oct 15 at 18:06

Maybe Moultrie will make enough of an impression that we get to see him a little more. I hope so.

What has me a little anxious is the defense thus far. I'm anxious to see it for myself. I expect the Sixers to have to play at least 10 or 12 games during the course of a season without Bynum. Backup bigs need to be able to play solid defense in my view.

Can't really gauge without watching whether that's really a problem or not.

Tom Moore on Oct 15 at 18:16

Sixers video: Doug Collins gives an update on Andrew Bynum prior to Monday's preseason game vs. the Celtics:

Turner still can't get past anyone, not even Grandpa Paul Pierce.

eddies' heady's reply to MCT on Oct 15 at 19:23

On a serious note, did you expect him to or something?

Sort of expected him to at least be quicker than Paul Pierce, if not an actual good athlete. But not really

eddies' heady's on Oct 15 at 19:21

Spencer's new 'do' really cracks me up. That first sissy hook he wouldv'e been better served to fire up the open 20 footer.

Malik totally called him out on the mullet too

eddies' heady's reply to MCT on Oct 15 at 19:24

Yep, thought it was funny how Malik said "he thinks" that's a mullet.

eddies' heady's on Oct 15 at 19:25

Why is Turner slowing up when he's got Courtney Lee trying to guard him on a break? He made the shot harder with his easing up.

eddies' heady's on Oct 15 at 19:34

Damn, Nick Young has a sweet step-back crossover J. I like him.

Heh. I remember thinking that stupid shot is going to make me want to throw my remote through the TV all season long.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Oct 16 at 8:33

Come on, not that move? You clearly must be getting that mixed up with Hawes' first sissy hook of the season that he clanked when he should have taken the open jumper.

I don't like stand-still 20-footers with no one near the guy. Is it a surprise I don't like a contested, step-back 20-footer?

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Oct 16 at 8:57

I'm with you. It was a sweet move though to create just enough separation to get the shot off.

If Turner had pulled it off there would be shouts from the rooftops that he had officially turned the corner after an offseason of grueling workouts. Perspective, perspective.

eddies' heady's on Oct 15 at 19:36

If Bynum can eventually mesh in, we have an unbelievably deep bench for a change. Just so unusual to see that, and the bevy of shooters on the floor. Weird.

eddies' heady's on Oct 15 at 19:43

Wayns with the rain!

eddies' heady's on Oct 15 at 19:48

Seems like every single possession ends up with the ball in Spencer's hands, either to initiate, or get up a shot late.

is anyone on here doing fantasy bball this year? looking to join a league.

We got wings... Just wait until we get our Bynum beef...

I know it's just pre-season but it looks as though they are all looking for one another on the court. Even Swaggy is looking to pass. Not a bad sign.

We are one of the three deepest teams in the NBA. In no particular order:

Denver
LA Clippers

Back to the original topic of Bynum's knees. . .

It seems to me that there are two different stories that don't jibe. First off, the Germany treatment and the latest lube job are spoken of as treating the arthritic condition of the big man's knees. I get that.

But then, there have been references to a bone bruise and I have no idea where that injury came from. No other context for it. Is there something I missed where Andrew injured his knee recently resulting in a bone bruise? If not, what is the reference?

Help me out here.

Jesse reply to jfp on Oct 16 at 17:28

Yeah, the bone bruise is supposed to be completely unrelated to Bynum's injections. However, I have not seen it reported exactly how Bynum incurred this injury. Does anyone know?