Time May Be On Sixers Side

Just saw Voose is going to be starting for Orlando. Wonder how he does.

Stan reply to Brian on Oct 26 at 12:01

Am I the only one that liked that guy? He's not starting material, but I thought he was at least a good solid backup to have on the roster.

Like his open mid-range J. Rest of his game: under construction. Lost some confidence when he lost minutes, or was it vice versa?

buke reply to Brian on Oct 26 at 13:52

He had a fair preseason: 8.7 ppg., 7.8 rpg., 51% FG %. A team like Orlando might as well start someone like him. I still think he was a pretty fair draft pick for a center picked in the middle of the first round.

I guess the Sixers are determined to continue with Turner at least for the next two years (although current management has shown that they are capable of pulling surprising moves). If Dorrell Wright has the kind of year he looks like he might be capable of having, I would hate to see the team lose him at the end of the year because they kept Turner.

Probably don't have to worry about Wright. They have Bird Rights on him, so they can pay more than anyone else. Nick Young is another story, if he somehow has a great season.

My concern isn't that they can't get by without Bynum for a while. What I'm worried about is them learning to play with Bynum after an extened period of being without him. This will be especially true if we start Hawes with him, the teams style of play will have to be completely different.

"Alarmist" Howard Eskin: nothing but right so far, chief.

Sixers' front office talking heads, "let's play media/fan ring around the rosie", the Nixon Administration with a better backing orchestra. Has Daniel Ellsberg purchased season tickets? Come back, Kate, come back; this city turns it's lonely eyes to you.

Bynum, 4/11 vs Spurs - 30 rbs (!); 4/17 vs Spurs - 7 rbs; 4/20 vs Spurs - 2 rbs: San Antonio "Pops" baton or AB energy-investment slump? Not surprisingly, Lakers W, L, L respectively.

Google Search of the Day

Daniel Ellsberg: former United States military analyst who, while employed by the RAND Corporation, precipitated a national political controversy in 1971 when he released the Pentagon Papers, a top-secret Pentagon study of U.S. government decision-making in relation to the Vietnam War, to The New York Times and other newspapers. He was awarded the Right Livelihood Award in 2006. He is also known for a fundamental contribution to decision theory, the Ellsberg paradox.

Nice fetch, Stan. Gimme your paw. Goo'boy.

Thanks, I try my best.

Only you can reference a nursery rhyme about the black plague, the Nixon administration, the man who released papers about the Vietnam War, former Sixers beat reporter Kate Fagan, and the correlation between Bynum's rebounding performance against the Spurs and the Lakers wins/losses against them in order to prove that a hated sports radio hosts' alarms were true. It is a crying shame that your thoughts are constrained by the agenda of this site.

Prove is a strong word in this context. It does prove Dollar Bill is capable of cherry picking data in support of yellow journalism.

What is Eskin claiming? I thought that it was that Bynum was damaged goods. Is the more credible claim of "energy investment slump" DollarBill's addition or paraphrase?

While Bynum didn't distinguished himself in the playoffs last year, 16, 18, and 14 rebounds on May 10th, 12th, and 14th doesn't seem to indicate either.

tk76 reply to Bob on Oct 27 at 15:39

Half Cronkite half Miss Cleo. You can predict any big man will break down and probably be right a fair share of the time. If you are wrong then he "recovered" while if you are right you were precient.

While I can grasp every part of that paragraph on its own, I'm still so confused. Thanks for the clarification of the Ellsberg reference.

I wonder how Jrue compares himself to Stephen Curry, Ty Lawson, Brandon Jennings, and Tyreke Evans.

$9 million feels more than fair when you consider Rondo and Conley's contracts. But I'm willing to bet that Holiday is basing his worth on what Dragic, Lin, and Nelson got last year.

Tom Moore on Oct 26 at 18:44

Friday video: Holiday on extension discussions, captaincy:

Nice Article on my second favorite team...
---------------------------------------------------------
A Clipper Fan's Response to John Hollinger's Team Forecasts

woah well OKC has cashed out on Harden apparently, does this now mean the Lakers vs Miami finals is now 110% inevitable?

Adrian Wojnarowski‏@WojYahooNBA

Y! Sources: After contract talks break down, OKC trades James Harden to Houston for Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, picks. http://tinyurl.com/8v5mhag

I wouldn't count on that.

Very curious to see how LA does this year with aging Nash and Bryant and very, very weak bench.

Plus they have Eddie Jordan.

Harden to Houston. Good for Morey, I'm glad he'll finally get an all-star player.

Brian - cakewalk? i respectfully disagree. who, exactly, will be an offensive catalyst? Our only hope, in that regard, is Evan Turner. Certainly not our middling point guard.

Defense - well our coaches should shore up the defense. the players must follow instructions.

without bynum, the sixers are what they have been since iverson left town. there hasn't been a cakewalk since Dr. J was playing.

pretty sure i remember a certain #55 saying they had a walk in the cake at some point though!

Wow, Harden to Houston. I thought that the Thnuder might trade Harden but after they sign him. This is a bit of a shocker. Too bad the Sixers didn't have the assets to acquire him.

tk76 reply to Xsago on Oct 28 at 4:04

Iggy would have been the perfect guy next to Durant.

Yeah, but he won't solve the Thunders financial issues.

Besides, would you rather have Harden instead of Bynum as a max guy? I'm not a huge fan of Bynum because of his injury history, but i don't think Harden can be a centerpiece of a championship team. He's a number 2 guy that would fit perfectly next to Jrue and Bynum, but i don't think he is capable of accomplishing anything on his own. I expect his efficiency to take a major hit in Houston. It's still a great deal for them though as long as they can use their remaining assets to acquire a star forward.

spencer is hired reply to Xsago on Oct 28 at 9:00

I believe if Maynor is healthy that Martin or Lamb, in a few years, can produce solid Harden like numbers without having the ball in their hands as much. Martin becomes a great trade asset or possibly resigns in the 10 mpy. area. A good trade for both teams.

Aldrich had a good preseason also and Houston has solidified their center position now with him and Asik.

Actually if it works out well, which i think it will, Martin may resign for far less than that, possibly something like 7 million per year, which will definitely be financially sustainable for the Thunder.

I actually think this may end up as a rare win-win trade.

Windhorst has an interesting take on the trade here regarding the Thunder philosophy and why this was done.

Interesting thing to me was that Presti was telling Harden the whole time, sign or we'll trade you, and this was not something that leaked out, I'm surprised his agent didn't leak a thing like that.

This & Ibaka were the moves, to me, that would tell us about Sam Presti, drafting Westbrook and Durant were easy, keeping a team together that can contend in a smaller market, not as easy. Still think the Perkins deal was a mistake that hamstrings them, even in the Harden thing but interesting to see how this plays out. One of the picks they got from Houston I believe is the 'guaranteed lottery' pick from Toronto which could be valuable this year.

Morey will get some kudos for getting his star, but let's see what sort of star Harden is when his #1 on a team instead of #3.

GoSixers on Oct 28 at 13:04

I know quite a few of you are on the eastern seaboard, stay inside, stay safe (and make sure you've stocked up on milk and bread if my childhood memories are clear, you'll be hard pressed to find them)

Let's hope none of us soon say, "Fido, I don't think we're in Pennsylvania anymore."

Time to dust off the Maritime Sou'Wester lid. Always did look good in yellow, if I may say so myself. The Gloucester fisherman will have nothin' on us. Batten down, hunker down, heads up and good luck to all.

Thanks for good thoughts, GoSixers.

Thanks, man. Everyone stay safe. My Internet just went down, power will probably follow shortly. See you on the other side.

I know that NY closed the subways a couple hours ago and my sister said they canceled school for the next two days (same school district I went to growing up). Her inalws have a jersey shore house and think fat governor should stop calling them stupid for riding it out down there.

Tom Moore on Oct 28 at 15:56

Sixers video: Dorell Wright and Doug Collins on the numerous options for lineups to close out games, plus Sunday scrimmage footage and a Bynum sighting:

Tom Moore on Oct 29 at 9:19

Video: Philly native Maalik Wayns is anxiously awaiting Wednesday's NBA debut with the Sixers:

Tom Moore on Oct 30 at 8:09

Sixers video: Jason Richardson on all of the team's offensive weapons and Doug Collins on some keys to the season:

76ers coach Doug Collins was asked the other day if he was an analytics guy.

"No. If I did that, I'd blow my brains out," Collins said after a practice last week. "There's 20-page printouts after every game - I would kill myself."

"My analytics are here . . ." Collins quickly pointed to his head. ". . . and here." He pointed just above the white waistband of his Sixers sweat suit - to his gut.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20121030_Sixers__Collins_coaches_by_gut_instinct_-_not_analytics.html#ixzz2AnHrDRsj

Stan reply to Tray on Oct 30 at 13:32

I thought he was going to point to his penis.

Gosixers reply to Stan on Oct 30 at 13:58

I think you meant to say hoped, not thought ;)

Anyone have any andrew bynum updates? Has he tried playing yet?

Ryan F reply to Will on Oct 30 at 15:14

Has yet to practice, his knee is still sore, and they don't have an expected date for him to return to action yet.

GoSixers reply to Ryan F on Oct 30 at 18:03

Who plays first, Amare or Bynum?

Stan reply to GoSixers on Oct 30 at 18:09

Greg Oden

Court_visioN on Oct 30 at 15:21

Ty Lawson agrees to a 4 year, $48 mil contract. There goes Jrue's leverage.

Anyone else going to the game tomorrow night? Sounds like the starting lineup will be Jrue, ET, JRich, Thad and Lavoy - should be interesting to see who gets AI9 on him...

SixersRising on Oct 30 at 17:51

I'll be there. Nice to have a chance to say a proper goodbye to AI9. Not feeling too confident about this game, but we'll see. Will be interesting if Iggy and ET are matched up against one another.

Oh, what the heck. I'm predicting Sixers 101 Denver 93.

Without Bynum this team isn't a playoff team. Faried will outrebound and outwork Spence and Brown on the boards. Evan Turner will have to chase down Dano at the 3-point line, Iguodala will shutdown J-Rich, and defending Lawson, Iguodala and McGee will be a tough challenge. I think the Nuggets will win by double digits.

In order for the Sixers to win, Spence and Turner will have to hit a ridiculously high percentage of their jump shots.

GoSixers reply to Stan on Oct 30 at 18:55

Without Bynum this team isn't a playoff team

Sure they are - they aren't a high seed but they're a 7/8 seed even with out Bynum.

Mike reply to Stan on Oct 31 at 9:43

i don't think Gallinari's playing

Charlie H reply to SixersRising on Oct 30 at 22:58

Cheer loud enough to drown out the buttheads who will boo him.

Brian & the rest of you in the NY/NJ/PA/Delaware area: Hope you have food, transportation and patience. A lot of people in Connecticut were without power for 3 weeks a year ago when the snowstorm hit. I have a feeling it's worse than anybody realizes yet. All that water in the subways - what condition are the power stations in? At least the buses are running now.

And such a huge area without power. It's still pretty dark in Manhattan. http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/30/us/gallery/ny-sandy/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Bynum is only 25. I hope he takes this as a warning. He needs to wake up and get his ass in shape, like Barkley did at a similar age. Guys unders 25 can get by on youth; after that, you have to work at it. Too much weight invites knee problems.

tk76 reply to Charlie H on Oct 31 at 4:46

During one of the preseason games they said Bynum recently was measured to have 8% body fat. Sounds like he takes care of himself, just has a huge frame to carry on his knees

Charlie H reply to tk76 on Oct 31 at 8:31

That's a relief.

Barring a miracle, I'm going to miss the opener. Looks like I might be without power for more than a week. Hope everyone made it through safe.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Oct 30 at 22:11

Ugh that's a bummer. Can you catch it online or on broadband or something? Hope everyone else is safe and their families are ok also.

Stan reply to Brian on Oct 31 at 7:50

Was it really that bad down there? In Philly, the most that happened was that a few trees fell down

Mike reply to Stan on Oct 31 at 9:42

do you really not know the answer to this?

Stan reply to Mike on Oct 31 at 14:08

I avoid news reports on weather like the plague. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbjXJM8_qus

Jrue on getting in better shape this offseason:

"Eating healthy, I tried to this summer. In the offseason I can go off on honey buns. I love honey buns. In-N-Out [Burger], I could eat it all the time."

SixersRising on Oct 31 at 10:29

So what do we expect in the matchups tonight. Denver will start Lawson, Iguodala, Faried, Gallinari and Koufos/Mosgov.

Clearly Jrue defends Lawson and Lavoy Allen defends the center.

Who will Collins have match up with Gallo, Faried and Iggy? JRich, Thad and Turner respectively?

Who do you think George Karl has Iggy guard?

Gallinari is a game time decision and the McGee is the starting center for the Nuggets.

All preseason Karl has said Koufos will start.

Rather have turner on gallo. If we learned anything from the iggy era its that he wont be the focus of the offense, and if he is the better for the opposing team. I doubt the nuggs run many plays for him so id rather let a scoring guy like j rich guard him. And if denver decides to try and abuse thay matchup, good for us, since we all know how iggy struggles in the half court.

Court_visioN reply to Will on Oct 31 at 12:41

Iguodala was the focus of the Sixers offense for several seasons. And how often do you think Denver's gonna be in the half court?

And the sixers weret able to become a good team until collins came in and reduced iggys offensive role so that he could focus on defense.

But like you said the nuggets will look to push the ball with iggy and so we need someone that can get back on defense quickly to guard him. Thats why i prefer the more disciplined j rich to guard iggy, as j rich will be hanging around the perimeter anyway while turner likes to drive the paint which could create fb opportunities for iggy if turner was supposed to be guarding him.

Court_visioN reply to Will on Oct 31 at 13:48

not sure that's a valid statement. the Sixers were a .500 team in the 2 full seasons that Iguodala was handed the keys to the offense. The team was basically .500 under Doug Collins over the past 2 seasons with Iguodala playing a supporting role.

I haven't been able to catch the Sixers much this preseason so I'll be interested to see how Collins and Karl matches them up.

Before collins came in we had andre miller who made our offense much better and also iggys offensicve game has regressed since then.

In any case, you have to believe that karl will use iguodala in a similar role that we used him. But i could be wrong. They run a much different offense in denver. Karl is also known as an offensive guru.

Faried is a beast, gonna cause problems since we can't use Lavoy on him. sad that we really need Kwame tonight.

Will reply to Mike on Oct 31 at 11:41

I think thad is the best matchup we have against faried even if we had lavoy at the 4 and kwame available. Faried loves to run the floor and thad is the only one who can keep up. Now faried is also a great rebounder, so thad will have trouble holding down the defensive glass, but id rather give up the ocassional offensive rebound than easy fast break dunk.

I agree. The only thing the Sixers need to do about Faried is match his energy and speed and Thad is by far the best guy to do so.

spencer is hired reply to Xsago on Oct 31 at 11:58

I am still not sold on Faried being a 36 mpg. guy. He may be best used like we use Thad, as a 24 to 28 minute energy player. Thad may have an inch or two on him.

GoSixers on Oct 31 at 12:40

It looks like Jrue's market might be getting set for him. Steph Curry's extension is 44 million over 4 years.

Though I am not sure why he's worth that much, in the NBA it seems that injury prone 'ness' tends to be ignored unless it's extreme like Greg Odens.

Not sure how Curry is worth almost as much as Lawson with all the games he's missed - every season

spencer is hired reply to GoSixers on Oct 31 at 13:27

I hate getting on the "will he play, won't he play" treadmill with players. I dreaded those D.Coleman years and never knowing if your best player is suiting up.

Do you feel good or bad about Jrue's value being set in that price range?

Stan reply to GoSixers on Oct 31 at 14:13

He was putting up all star numbers prior to his injury last year

GoSixers reply to Stan on Oct 31 at 15:33

Brandon Roy put up all star numbers too (however you want to define that useless 'metric') and yet no one wants him to play basketball for them either and the Blazers ate tons of money because they ignored his injury.

Greg Oden put up all star numbers when he played too

You proved my point though - attention only paid to the games played - no attention made to the percentage of games missed

And just so this is sixers relevant - pay attention not only to Andrew Bynums numbers folks but the games he will miss in the beginning of the season and probably throughout the season before you talk about throwing a big contract at someone.

@Spencer

I have no feeling either way about Jrue's value being set - that's where his value probably is and should be but his agent will argue otherwise. I believe today is the last day to sign a contract before he'll hit restricted free agent (3rd wheel james harden just got 80 million over 5 years before ever proving he can be a focal point - so there's that)

Stan reply to GoSixers on Nov 1 at 16:57

Those are completely different situations. Oden and Roy had career threatening injuries and that developed over the course of a few seasons. Curry had an injury that sidelined him for one season. He's expected to be healthy for the entire season.

GoSixers reply to Stan on Nov 1 at 17:22

In his short career he's never appeared in every game in a season...he's had ankle issues for a while now - and these things tend to end up chronic.

ANother example is Eric Gordon - who has appeared progressively in less and less games since his rookie season, and was still greatly sought after.

This is relevant because the sixers will have their own 'injury prone player' problem in this off season.

Stan reply to GoSixers on Nov 1 at 17:47

I don't worry about an injury unless it's severe, the player is older, or the injury in chronic. I don't know the extent of Curry's injury but he's only missed 10 games in first 2 seasons. Gordon on the other hand has missed significant playing time in the past 3 seasons.

The Sixers have to bite the bullet on Bynum and re-sign him.

Gosixers reply to Stan on Nov 1 at 17:59

As someone who had chronic ankle injuries after he broke it playing volleyball at 17, Curry's issues always seemed to recur, which is never a good thing to me.

But - if Bynum is injury prone - or just has 'bad knees' the sixers don't have to bte the bullet on a max deal for a guy who might never (let's say) play 60 games in a season again is kind of the point - his injury history MUST be taken into consideration especially looks like it seems last season was the fluke - not the pattern

Tom Moore on Oct 31 at 15:33

Sixers notes (with Holiday video): Holiday on possible extension: 'I want what I want'

Tom Moore on Oct 31 at 15:35

Shootaround video: Iguodala on playing first game with Nuggets in Philly and his relationship with Sixers fans:

If iggy gets booed tonight i might consider stop being a sixers fan. Ive gone to many games over the years and all i have seen are empty seats and a quiet crowd. The fans only pack the stadium against the lakers and cavs (and now heat) and now in one of the rare games they show up they decide to boo our best player over the last few years. I really hope they dont boo.

Court_visioN reply to Will on Oct 31 at 16:30

if that's the case.... nice knowing you dude.

The Six reply to Will on Oct 31 at 17:42

You're going to stop rooting for the team if Iggy gets booed? What are you like five years old? Please...

SixersRising on Oct 31 at 16:02

Real fans won't be booing, and their cheers will drown out the 500 or so faux fans who do. I personally will be cheering loud enough to drown out a few dozen of them. Be excited - it's gonna be a great year to be a Sixers fan! I've been waiting SOOO LONG for the season to finally start.

GoSixers reply to SixersRising on Oct 31 at 16:07

Are you new to being a fan of a Philadelphia sports fan? "Real Fans" Used to boo him when he was the best player on the team.

Will reply to GoSixers on Oct 31 at 17:16

Iggy got booed, but it was never too malicious. Usually people would only boo if he airballed consecutive wide open jump shots or something like that. Im only worried about booing tonight cause its the home opener and all the bandwagoners will be there.

GoSixers reply to Will on Oct 31 at 17:45

Iggy got booed, but it was never too malicious.

That's a matter of opinion...he was open loathed by people on sports radio, sports radio hosts, and people on various blogs who represent a more 'avid' portion of the fan base

Gallinari out

alright I'm picking my Favorite Newcomer:

DORRELL WRIGHT

(subject to change)

I think the majority of the blogger-fans agrees with you. He is my early favorite newcomer as well.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 18:58

We're gonna be the Mavs of tonight. Winning handily without our star. Take it to the bank.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:06

So pumped, been waiting for this one for over a week.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:14

Ugh, DEN's 2nd unit is gonna be a lottt to handle with Corey Brewer, Wilson Chandler, Andre Miller, and Javale McGee. They may be the only team with a deeper bench than ours.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:15

ET +1! Make the freebie

Turner draws the foul and made the 3-point play!

Miracle

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:16

Good call on Jrue pushing off there.

not impressed with our D yet, hopefully they get it together

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:16

Turner stick going to the hole kid, BRICK!

LOVE Jrue posting on Lawson. Exploit that

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:18

Yeah! Post Jrue up on Ty. and 1 all day long.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:19

JRIch!! Moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:19

Jrue +1!!!!!! 2 fouls on Lawson

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:20

Hope like hell Andre Miller left his Superman cape back in Denver tonight.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:20

Come on Lavoy, lazy ass pass there leading to Dre dunk.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:21

We're trapping the P&R early here. With Ty and Miller running it.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:24

Ugh, didn't trap the p&r that time and Thad didn't rotate properly giving up a Faried dunk.

Alright at least Iggy got cheered. Looks like he got the Pat Burrell treatment with the cheers initially and then boos once the game started. I don't mind that.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:27

Bad shot Jrue. COme on run offense.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:28

JRich moneyyyyyyyyyy

Why does Jason Richardson look like the best player on the floor?

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:30

Dorell for 33333333333333333 .... was pissed that he didn't attack with a 3 on 2 but oh well ....

I forgot what it's like for players to consistently knock down open 3 pointers.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:34

Jrue, Nick, and Dorell swithced everything there on D. Ended up with DOrell on Miller. Interesting, the versatility displayed there.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:34

ET gets a minimal token rest and is right back in for JRich.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:35

Spencer from deep!

GoSixers on Oct 31 at 19:35

Poor defensive rebounding - the more things change

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:36

Jrue just had a nasty dribble from behind his legs then between them but Spencer couldn't finish the baseline J.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:37

Miller's abusing Turner by taking him to the hole. ET should be able to handle him you'd think. Guess not.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:38

25-22. Good guys. Settle in now and clean some things up on defensive assignments and rotations.

Andre Miller is so damn crafty. Love watching him play, though.

Drove to the next town over for cell service to check email and was able to hear the first quarter on the radio. F Andre Miller.

Sounds like they should be up more than they are.

GOSixers reply to Brian on Oct 31 at 19:43

If they grabbed more than 60% of the dfeensive rebounds they probably would be

FreeMattCord on Oct 31 at 19:40

I am so excited for Nick Young's shot clock management this season!

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:43

Man, they're still switching everything on the perimeter. With Wayns and Dorell that time.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:45

Jrue got a really short rest. Back in for Wayns already.

If only Hawes could just change a shot, not even block it, just alter it dammit.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:46

I'd guess he's gonna play particular guys heavy minutes tonight if for no other reason than they're off til Sunday.

Wayns looks like a weak link out there. Bad turnover on offense and too vulnerable on defense. Collins got him out of there before things got bad.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:48

When Thad comes back in for his next run, he better grow a pair and keep Faried off the boards. If Thad would just be half as active as Faried is on the court...

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:49

Man, Miller's got his Superman cape on again this year. Reminiscent of last year's game from him so far.

NYoung with the charge!

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:50

Dorell being crafty drawing the shooting foul on Faried. Turned nothing into 2 pts.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:51

I'd like to give Spencer credit for a good first run, but he just doesn't protect the rim at all. Too many pts for DEN at the rim when he was in there.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:52

Put a body on somebody!!! Box the F out!

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:53

Come on Evan..... damn

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:55

ET with 3 fouls. Hope he stays on the bench.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:57

At least we're getting our hands on a lot of balls/passes in the paint. Nugs should be approaching double digit turnovers already.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:58

Ugh, Dorell turnover. 10 straight possessions coming up empty. Still up 1 though.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:59

Good ass outlet pass Jrue! Dorell for 3!

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:02

Good team defense there. Another steal by JRich.

Thad with the lefty runner!

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:02

Dammit, 3rd chance point for DEN. Grab the ball!

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:04

They're only even close in this game b/c of their o-boards.

Heh, Hawes just converted a reverse on Faried. haha

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:04

Thad just doesn't even consider boxing out most of the time. He just gazes and looks at the ball. Meanwhile, Faried is attacking it every chance he gets. Come on Thad.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:07

Spencer for 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:09

Heh, a Dre iso to end the half for DEN. He slips after driving and turns it over. Glad to not have to see that anymore.

I don't like to say it but one of the biggest reasons we're winning right now is because of Iguodala's ineptitude. We keep letting him take those open 3's and he keeps missing. Also he's had some costly turnovers.

But now that I've posted that I'm sure he'll dominate the 2nd half.

eddies' heady's reply to Will on Oct 31 at 20:15

Yep, he's trying to over-pass way too much once he gets in the lane. He has shots to take when he gets there but he's trying to set teammates up and we're getting our hands on lots of balls when he does that.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:14

46-38. Good end to the quarter there. They're being carried by Dorell and Spencer scoring wise. Dorell 6-6 from the stripe, Hawes 2-2 from deep.

Something to keep an eye on - we're +9 over them in fast break pts. They're +16 over us in pts in the paint, mostly due to all those 2nd chance pts on o-boards. Clean those glass issues up and keep knocking down threes and it's home free. (Curious to know how many of our 15 fast break pts are from threes in transition, didn't keep up with it)

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:17

In addition to Turner, Lavoy really struggled in that half as did Nick Young.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:27

Lavoy o-board on 1st possession. Thad drive and finish. Good job.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:28

Karl subs out Faried and Koufos after only minute and a half for Chandler and McGee.

Thad airball ugh.

Another o-board for them and layup. shit

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:31

Lavoy gets his own board off missed free throw.

Thad!!! Spin move J. +1 he missed it though

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:33

Evan pump fake and layup. Karl is pissed, calls a TO.

One of the (few, if only) positives from ET's game tonight - both times that he drove he used a pump fake, with success. Good to see that, rather than throwing up a weak layup that gets sent into the seats. Dorrell should be starting though.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:36

Lavoy cleans up JRich's missed putback who was cleaning up ET's missed J. Good work there.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:37

Up 13. Stretch this lead here. Bury these guys, they literally can't hang with us.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:38

Good defensive possession there ends in a Lawson airball shot clock expiring J.

Our defensive rotations look freakin amazing!

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:39

Might want to get a hand up on Brewer, Evan.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:40

Dorell in for JRich.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:41

I like Jrue trying to get his shot, but he needs to chill with that tonight considering how he's shooting. Set guys up Jrue and just let yours come to you.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:43

Box out please! Come on! TO Doug. Missed a good chance to extend the lead there. Came up empty every time.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:45

Go to Thad in the paint out of TO. Good job.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:46

Good lateral movement there THad! With the charge taken.

Spencer Hawes just now, "you best back the f-ck up before you get smacked the f-ck up"

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:51

Dorell Wright's length is awesome. Affecting passing lanes, shots, etc.

65-52. Finish this one please.

"Spencer Hawes holding an occupy the paint rally!"

Love Malik

Hawes, you might just be worth your paycheck.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:54

Ugh, Lawson gets a shot off w/ 2 secs on clock off inbounds.

Surprised we're winning this big, no one is really having a great game. Jrue has played a good floor game, Spencer is giving them some lift off of the bench (surprisingly), and Dorrell looks pretty good, especially getting to the line. But all in all a mediocre to bad performance on offense and yet we are winning easily. Weird.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 20:55

NYoung w/ the rainbow 3!

Turner, if you can't post up Lawson without throwing him to the floor, sit the fuck down

Sit down, ET.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:00

Ugh Spencer, he fucked up the lob for Dorell on a 3 on 1 break. SHit

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:03

Missed a couple of 3's that were open. Only up 7.

Thad missed the front end, makes the 2nd. Come on guys...

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:05

8 straight misses. Jrue's off on his J tonight. NYoung ends the drought.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:05

Dag Jrue, forces another J. Misses. DEN hits a triple. SHit ....

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:07

DEN on a 12-3 scoring run. Jrue is playing an admirable game on both ends, he just needs to stop firing away after none or only one pass and it comes back to him. Let it come to you kid.

Really wish Jrue would stop chucking up random shots.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:09

Need a bucket out of this TO in the worst way.

Dammit, turnover. Tried the SPencer handling it at the free throw line and never materialized

SHit anothe turnover. COme on guys. Keep your heads in it.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:10

Jrue and one!!!

Doug put Turner back in for some reason.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:11

Ha, Hawes blocks Lawson's layup attempt. Big play there SPence.

Spence trying very hard on D. I think he should start next game. He's certainly earned it.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:12

Heh, crowd chants MVP MVP when Hawes was shooting those free throws.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:13

Jrue and Hawes two-man game, P&R on side. Hawes steps out for J. SWISH!!! Come on, up 7 again. 3:38 to glory, guys.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:16

JRich steal and layup!

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:17

Jrue FINALLY knocks one down. Close it out. Be smart.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:18

Hawes with another block on help-side D! Think that's his 5th or 6th. HAHA

Charlie H reply to eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:21

5 blocks for Hawes. Who said he doesn't protect the rim?
(Don't jump all over me, I know he's not exactly an intimidator.)

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:19

Iguodala's been invisible in this 2nd half.

Hawes starts next game.

Really, really ugly game to watch but a win is a win I guess

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:20

Dorell with the dagger! Heck of a game.

Did Bynum play tonight and I just didn't see him? 11 blocks overall, Spence w/ 5, JRich with 3. Who woulda thunk it? Gotta love it.

Charlie H reply to eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:23

I think the defense will be as good as last year. Collins schemes seem to be working.

Curry runs the defense

eddies' heady's reply to Charlie H on Oct 31 at 21:25

They don't work unless the guys are buying in. Good, good sign.

Charlie H reply to eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:29

So true. Hey, where's GoSixers? Is he waiting for Collins to lose the team before he shows up?

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:22

I just had a feeling these cats couldn't hang with us after seeing what they did in the preseason. It carried over to tonight. Just a great team effort tonight.

Spencer hands down POTG. Good job Spence.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 21:23

Still can't wait to play Philadelphia, Andre?

hahhahaahahhaahh

lost power(still without it) couldnt watch the game, someone want to some it up for me

Yellow reply to sixerfan1220 on Oct 31 at 21:30

Hawes played like Garnett in his prime. Yes, really.

Sloppy ass game.

Jrue with a pretty good floor game, but shot terrible (both percentage and shot selection). Lavoy was non-existent. Thad started bad (especially getting killed on the boards by Faried) but came on offensively later in the game. Turner was mostly invisible - two decent pump fake layups around the basket, but also 5 badly missed jumpers (4 of which were bad shots), 4 fouls, and 3 turnovers. Spencer was great off the bench. Dorell Wright shot really bad but got to the line and rebounded pretty good. He will be starting at SF after 10 games in place of ET.

Charlie H on Oct 31 at 21:28

All these shooters now and they go 30 for 85 from the field. Ugh. Nugs were just as bad.

What I love about Jrue is that he'll have bad shooting nights but then he'll come up clutch in the end to pull out the victory.

What I hate about Turner is that he has a bad game and then lets it effect is psyche.

MCT reply to Will on Oct 31 at 21:34

I think it's a ton of bad games over 2+ years that have affected Turner's pyche

At -19 with an unusual 1:1 assist-to-turnover ratio, it's probably not the kind of night AI9 wanted to have upon his return to Philly.

Just finished watching the game on delay. Great to have this team back and I'm excited for the changes.
- I LOVE how this team can spread the floor.
-They rotated pretty well on defense and Dorrell Wright is a better defensive player than I gave him credit for.
- Nice to see Jrue get the 4th quarter back under control. I was worried he was going to lapse back into his late 4th quarter=poor judgement games like a number of times last season. The quarter started rough but he played through and did it effectively.
-Hawes looks like he'll be off to another 10 game tear at the beginning of the season where he looks like a legit player. Too bad we know what happens next. Who knows, maybe with fewer minutes he will be better this year.
- I wish Iggy well but I don't miss him. I'm happy this team is going in a new direction and I'm sure Iggy will have a great season in Denver.

YoungGun13 reply to The Six on Nov 1 at 7:05

what setback spencer hawes last is that he got hurt after he got off to that very good start. But i have to say that spencer looks noticably more mean and lean this year.

Jrue Extension: $41M/4yrs

AJ reply to AJ on Nov 1 at 1:03

Up to $46M with incentives

Cin reply to AJ on Nov 1 at 1:15

Holiday and the other two team captains, Thad Young and Richardson, are the only players signed for at least another two seasons, although Richardson would have a player option on the second season.

Forgot about Moultrie.

Stan reply to Cin on Nov 1 at 10:12

I can't imagine J-Rich opting out of $6.5 million at the age of 33.

What's the sixers cap situation for next year now that they signed holiday?

Stan reply to Scott on Nov 1 at 10:30

This year their payroll is about $85 million (including Brand)

Next year (2013-14) their payroll is about 63 million, $45 million if Bynum signs elsewhere, and assuming that the Sixers let N.Young, Wright and Ivey walk.

Their payroll for 2014 which is composed of JRich, Jrue, Bynum, Moultrie, and Young is about $46 million (assuming Bynum is signed for the max, and ET walks)

I don't know what the salary cap will be for the following 2 years.

rgp reply to Scott on Nov 1 at 13:41

I didn't realize the Lakers were 0-2

"The emotions of Philly are now over. The emotions of missing jumpers have begun"

I am over Iguodala but still looking for a player to fall in love with on this team. Jrue and Thad are inconsistent and Turner is trending recyclable, but overall you gotta feel like this team has got something going with youth and defensive intensity. Dare I say, we could be something if Bynum comes back above 80%. Well just one game so far.
I think it might be safe to say that we have a good coach.

"Lol. Iguodala will find out that he will be held accountable there too, unfairly or not, especially on a team where defense is an obsolete concept and its all about the points."

Denver has consistently been a middle of the pack defensive team. I shouldn't wouldn't say defense is an obsolete concept.

Solid win and a good deal for Jrue. Positive news!

GoSixers reply to Brian on Nov 1 at 16:21

Hollinger has an article (insider) only explaining why so many guys may have gotten slightly larger than expected contracts - 13 teams with max cap space this off season? (He has no explanation for DeRozan though)

Check it if you can

Stan reply to Brian on Nov 1 at 16:29

And you didn't even bother to mention Spencer Hawes.

Richardson was really active in his double teams. He did well to judiciously pester ballhandlers without completely selling out and earned himself a few steals. Wright's ballhandling ability is overstated but his shooting and defensive ability would make him a part of any contenders wing rotation. He looks like a steal and a long term fixture there.

Holiday isn't Nash or Kidd but he can run an offense effectively. I think opening night jitters played a part in his poor shot selection. Once he's in midseason form, playing his calm and collected brand of point guard, he is going to be lethal. He also looks just as fluid as last year but more explosive with the ball, and a bit stronger.

Thad is still Thad. All finesse, a gazelle up and down the court, and an active defender. He's going to have a good season, but he's going to need a good playoff series to justify his worth in my eyes.

So someone who watched, was Jrue good? Too many bad shots? Turner invisible? Obviously Hawes played out of his mind, was it his play that limited Lavoy's minutes? This power outage is killing me. Also, 75 points for the Nuggets? Was the defense that good, or a bunch of missed decent looks?

Mike reply to Brian on Nov 1 at 21:38

I thought Jrue was terrible in the beginning of the 4th quarter and almost single handedly let Denver back in the game. But, as someone else mentioned above, he has a short memory & seems fearless in tight spots (lack of fear is prob part of the reason he over-penetrates sometimes, dribbles into multiple defenders, and makes bad passes) and ended up hitting the biggest shot of the game (the 3pt play after Denver cut the lead to 1, and they never looked back from there). It was a really big win imo and a game they would have blown last year.

Turner was basically invisible, yes

Hawes was incredible, very similar to how he played before getting hurt last season. He was hitting shots yes, but he won the game with a couple huge blocks in the 4th quarter. Really seemed mobile & getting great lift in challenging shots, which I think is the big thing we should take from his performance.

Overall I think Denver was certainly out of sync, but the Sixers did a phenomenal job for 3 quarters in packing the lane and preventing Lawson from getting in a rhythm. I was very surprised their defense looked so good this early, against a team we are being told is going to score at will this year.

Part of the reason Denver came back is Philly started missing a lot of 3's in the 4th quarter, which led to long rebounds and subsequent fast break opportunities for Denver. This is something I worry about going forward, because they are definitely being encouraged to continue to launch from long range. They will shoot a better % than they did last night, but as we all know, you live by the 3 & die by the 3.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 1 at 21:44

Jrue had a really good floor game but he was in jacking mode far too often for me. He would just pull up without even passing after crossing mid-court several times. Seemed to dribble far too long on several possessions also (which resulted in even more bad looks/missed shots). Not in a bad way, but he reminded me of Lou in a sense doing these two things.

Turner was his usual garbage self. Went into "get me" mode early and fired about a 16 footer from the right side of the free throw line and it went over the rim on the left side and barely grazed it and clanked off the backboard. Pulled off two Andre Miller drive-stop-pump/head fake layups which can be considered a positive coming from him instead of getting stuffed. It's early, but after those preseason games (esp the NJ game where he sat out) and last night, he just doens't mesh or flow with the other guys out there. Doesn't look comfortable at all. Andre Miller abused him several times on D, he was matador like on two possessions.

Not sure I'd say that Lavoy's minutes were limited by Hawes' play. It probably was directly related though. I thought Lavoy looked just as uncomfortable as Evan did in the starters' first run of both halves. He fired up a couple of perimeter J's but to my recollection he missed each one he shot. He, along with Thad, didn't meet a box-out they liked (Lavoy was actually the only one that would put a body on someone last year, last night not so much).

The Nuggets did miss a bunch of 3's, but to me, the defense was pretty damn good for the first game. They were very active in the passing lanes, getting lots of deflections, and in turn steals. Thought transition D was really good from everyone. Only remember one runout off a long rebound from a missed 3 where guys didn't get back but I think the Nuggets missed the layup.

Spencer was blocking so much stuff one-on-one and help-side it would have flat out blew your mind. It literally was unbelievable but such a sight to see. Funny thing though, I remember calling him out on not challenging/altering shots in the first half when he was having a good offensive showing, then he completely made me eat that with the block party he put on. I still can't believe it looking back on it.

Any other questions just ask and I'll try to help. Been in your situation many times before and understand the frustration.

Stan reply to Brian on Nov 1 at 23:27

A good game for Spencer is when he hits a bunch of his jumpshots and gathers a lot of uncontested rebounds. Yesterday he had a really good game for an NBA center. He was chasing down blocks, making Javale look silly, providing weak side defense, and fighting for rebounds. That type of performance from Spence is unsustainable but at least you know he has the ability.

In terms of defense, the refs allowed the game to be physical. The Sixers were more physical than the Nuiggets, but in a more tightly reffed game the Sixers would have been called for more fouls.

Turner was visible because he had two really bad turnovers and was almost called for a clear path foul.

The Nuggets got back in the game because the Sixers were jacking up too many jumpers in the end.

Dikembe Mutumbo made an appearance. 2001 was good times.

You've gotten three substantial responses so I'll try to avoid being redundant.

Holiday: Should have had closer to 20 assists, but no hockey assists or signs of seeing the play before it happens. Just gets it to the open man and that works swimmingly when they are all shooters. He gunned a little bit, broke his man down occasionally, and ran some mostly fruitless pick-and-rolls. In total, his offense was sporadic and lacked an identity, but should be a net positive even before you factor in his passing.

Richardson: Not ready to enter the twilight of his career. Poked the ball loose for a fastbreak layup. Moved without the ball, moved the ball, and just hustled around the floor at all three stages. He's not just a throw-in.

Turner: Guarded by Iguodala, got the Iguodala treatment. He mostly deferred to his teammates and didn't test Iguodala and pushed

You've gotten three substantial responses so I'll try to avoid being redundant.

Turner: Guarded by Iguodala, got the Iguodala treatment. He mostly deferred to his teammates, didn't test Iguodala, and pushed the ball only after picks. Had a couple of nice pump fakes that got defenders off their feet for uncontested layups. Many more ugly moments to count, with fouls, losing his man, and a terrible charge on Lawson when he tried to roll off him after he backed him down like a foot.

T. Young: Same old Thad.

Allen: Wasn't really needed for this one due to Denver having a smallball frontcourt. He did show a legit jumper with near-KG range and was active around and underneath the basket, getting his hands on everything even if the stat sheet doesn't reflect that.

Wright: Excellent defensive game and wasn't disheartened that his shot wasn't falling. Not very strong, but his length and athleticism should replace some of what was lost with Iguodala's departure. Biggest play was turning a relatively easy fastbreak layup for Denver into a turnover by simply using his tremendous length to strip the ball after he trailed the play.

Hawes: POTG. Full on Mullet. He was consistent throughout, but really turned it on late. I didn't like his high post play, but that may have been due to a lack of backdoor cuts. Big plays om both ends and the only 6er whose jumper was locked in.

N. Young: Quiet night. Took some good shots, some bad, but has tremendous touch and balance in his jumper and can get it off at any angle.

I thought it was an important win IMO, the kind they haven't won in a long time. They made it look easy while leaving plenty of room for improvement.

Some fresh thoughts:
- The defense looked completely different from last year. They gambled a lot for steals, deciding to take the risk of guys getting into the paint. I guess that change of philosophy is done with Bynum in mind. Hawes 5 blocks are a direct result of this change IMO.
- Richardson looked much better than i expected. He tried to pull a Rondo type of steal after the opponents defensive rebound often and hit threes whenever he was open
- Wright showed good alround game and was a big contributor despite his shot being slightly off.
- Jrue looked like a true PG. He took a few unnecessary long twos, but other than that he was really good. He looked as the best player on the floor for the most part of the game.
- Turner was guarded by Iguodala and it felt like the Sixers game-planned about this and avoided him offensively. He also got in foul trouble that limited his minutes and i thought that was part of the defensive rebounding woes. He also had some ill-advised plays on both ends of the floor.
- Hawes was all over the place. Probably his best game as a Sixer.
- Thad was Thad. Solid overall game. I thought he looked a little bit better off the dribble.

sfw reply to Xsago on Nov 2 at 10:05

I must've been watching the wrong game because I thought that Jrue was terrible on offense as a facilitator. I was at the game and quite surprised at his assist total. He kept forcing the issue on offense trying to score over his man. He either chucked up a poorly timed shot or forced a pass. Even with that he does have a short memory, can make the big shot, plays defense and if the coach has faith in him, I have to believe he will adjust with time.

Court_visioN reply to Brian on Nov 2 at 13:00

re-watched the game on league pass. some thoughts that I think haven't been mentioned yet.

- Jrue did a great job off the ball in the few chances he had without it. Made a great cut in the first quarter, created separation to get the ball in great position in the post on Lawson. Ended up drawing an and-one. Also made a pair of great cuts off of Hawes in the high post.

- Holiday also did a good job of keeping his dribble. He did take a lot of jumpers in the game, but his feet were set, he just missed them. The only issue I had with the shots is they were early in the shot clock and the Sixers probably could have worked the ball around to get a better look, but overall they were decent looks that didn't drop.

- Jrue: 3 and-ones, one additional drawn foul. One foul drawn in the post, one on a drive and two off shake-n-bake moves to get the defender jumping/swiping.

- Turner was invisible. Except for when he posted up Ty Lawson and ended up running him over for an offensive foul. Why he felt the need to lower the shoulder in that situation is beyond me.

- Dorell also forced up some shots, but he got to the free throw line so it kind of evened out a little. Think he might have tried to draw fouls a couple more times which ended up in just bad shots. His 3-ball is a thing of beauty. Also his length is tremendous on the defensive end. Not nearly the defensive beast Iguodala was but he's disruptive.

- Jason Richardson is a lot more spry than I expected. Getting into passing lanes getting steals and deflections. And doing his job on the offensive end (knocking down 3s)

- Lavoy struggled with his shot. Spencer didn't. Spencer got the playing time. Doug Collins confirmed this in his postgame interview. Said your bigs need to hit jumpers against Denver

- All 5 of Spencer's blocks surprised me.

- Thad still blowing up pick and rolls. There was one instance where Iguodala caught the ball coming off a pick and met Thad. He was surprised and traveled.

- Not a good night for Iguodala overall. Had his moments but I think he tried to force the issue too much and ended up turning the ball over. His jumpshot looked shaky tonight. Has been all preseason, really, looking at the stats.

Court_visioN reply to Court_visioN on Nov 2 at 13:09

by the way when I say 3-balls are a thing of beauty, I mean the shot itself. Not the result. Not this game.

oh as far as Lavoy's minutes, it was mostly Hawes playing well. but there was a missed rotation early in the 3rd and you could hear Collins blow a gasket. i think he took a few long jumpers that weren't great shots either.

I think Spence's good game is just more reinforcement of why he should come off the bench. He's clearly at his best when he is healthy. Over the course of the season he'll wear down and become awful (he truly sucked in the Bulls series). Let's keep him coming off the bench where he can rest some nights, and keep the starting front court of Allen and Young.

Per Hollinger's Twitter account, confirmed by Bodner:

Congrats to http://basketballvalue.com founder Aaron Barzilai on his new gig as Sixers analytics czar.

Statman on Nov 2 at 11:31

One note about Jrue is that he picked up two quick fouls on Lawson early (two three-point plays), sending Lawson to the bench and putting the Nuggets out of sync the entire first half. Jrue was probably a net positive for the game because he hit his last two shots and he got Lawson in early foul trouble. Other than that, his good passing (11 assists to 3 turnovers -- though it didn't seem that good on first viewing) was offset by his poor shooting (3 for 14 until the last two shots, with generally terrible shot selection -- called out by Malik Rose at least three times).

I was at the game on Wednesday and thought Jrue, though his shot selection was shaky, did a wonderful job at controlling the game- especially the last 5 min of the game. It was great to see him have the keys to the offense- and even with a terrible team shooting night he still put together 11 assists vs only 3 turnovers. The whole team went cold in the second half. This game wouldn't have been close if a couple more of our wide open 3's had fallen. Jrue easily could have had a 20 and 15 night as opposed to 14 and 11. I'm excited to see what this team can do on good or even average shooting nights!

TwoSense reply to ryano on Nov 2 at 23:38

Good overview.

What do you all think of Jrue's deal? Seems a little high to me, a bit of a gamble, but not terribly so. And it compares favorably to some of the other recent deals out there, especially the Raptors' guys. All told, not bad.

sfw reply to FKD215 on Nov 2 at 14:47

I thought he'd demand more; So, I'm satified with the contract. Hopefully, his best is yet to come. If not, he's getting over paid by 3-4 mil a year. In my opinion

Statman reply to FKD215 on Nov 2 at 15:11

Interesting. With Lawson getting 4/$48M, I thought Jrue would ask for something in the same neighborhood. On the other hand, Mike Conley is signed for 5/$40M, and Conley was better than Jrue last year. It's a fair deal, but Jrue needs to raise his game to live up to it.

I cut Mr. Whitby's grass and delivered Mr. Mulgrave's newspaper - and THEN they paid me.

Flashing Jrue, sturdy, smiling PG on training wheels, with the jribble jrive (is there any other kind?) all the way to the bank. 41 M (& bonus). Nice finish, young man! Now let's get started.

I'm sure Tom Benson is wondering how he goes about waiving Gordon before being told it's not the NFL and he has no choice but to pay every dollar.

Stan reply to GoSixers on Nov 2 at 19:26

This whole thing with Eric Gordon reminds me of the Shawn Andrews fiasco a few years ago.

yup that is a nightmare situation for New Orleans

As is the norm, the media is making a much greater mess of things than is deserved.

Gordon only played nine games last year so it isn't as if him needing time to recover is a startling revelation. And really, like the 76ers with Bynum, is there really a point to rushing him or playing him at all this season? They aren't one returning player, or even one additional player away from contending. If Gordon plays half a season and returns to form next year with his knee intact, then there is a glimmer of hope with Davis and Rivers having gotten their feet wet in the league. Maybe, at that point, there is some semblance of a workable roster going forward. But this season? Growing pains. Either way.

Mike reply to Cin on Nov 3 at 9:01

umm except New Orleans already gave Gordon a new contract. he was supposed to be ready to go this season. it is a terrible situation and fans there hate the guy already.

In reachingly-related and dated news, MIT submarined the Coast Guard 83-55 last winter in tactical back-and-forth combat along the Charles River in January. And the ever-devising Engineers' last W of the season was a 69-54 muffling of the F&M Diplomats in a feverish debate of knickered wits and nitwits in West Lancaster, PA, always a difficult venue in which to make enough points to attain final supremacy of intellectually-driven thrustings and adjustings.

The Cambridge-based MIT Engineers' season calculus resulted in 50.1 FG accuracy, a 29-2 record and an NCAA Div III Final Four spot (lost to Wisconson-Whitewater in Semi-), surprising this researcher beyond all algorithms.

Doug, pay heed to the pointyhead.

Mike reply to Dollar Bill on Nov 4 at 7:54

do you think people know what you're talking about, ever?

Golden State gives Dorell away for nothing and now have lost Brandon Rush for the year due to a torn ACL. Ouch.

spencer is hired on Nov 4 at 9:20

I thought our coach did not involve Lavoy, elbow pick-rolls with Jrue, and Thad, isolations on the block, enough offensively in the Denver game and hope that was addressed in practice.

I agree with S.F.W. that for most of the game Jrue was out of sorts but his ability to take over a game late because of his size and strength is Wade like at times.

Interesting matchup for Thad today against Melo at the p.f. spot. If they don't go to Thad early and often I will be very disappointed.

Damon Lillard is the first rookie since the big O to get at least 20 pts and 7 assists in his first 3 games, looks like Portland got a steal.

NY was on fire from outside against Miami. if we close out on their shooters we should be able to get a win. i don't think this roster is going to score much in the paint unless Melo decides to stop jacking 20 foot pull ups every possession.

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 9:39

One other thing that may be of interest to you was, they switched all screens on the perimeter on several possessions. Believe it was Jrue, JRich/NYoung, and Dorell on one occasion where three different screens were swithced by each of these guys and Dorell ended up on Lawson. It was really a burden on the Nuggets to carry out their sets and penetrate into the paint when the Sixers did this. Something to pay attention to going forward and I forgot to mention it in a response above.

Don't know how to feel about today's game, I believe last year when we played that first game of the year vs the Knicks at the Garden it was also a nooner and they made us look pretty bad (think that's correct?). We just couldn't get over the hump, but now that I'm thinking about it wasn't Iguodala out that game? I clearly remember the Knicks turning up their D and being very tenacious and active on that end of the floor, which was unusual for them at the time.

the one i remember is Melo & Iggy going at it back & forth. think there were a couple hard fouls and maybe a flagrant or a tech.

eddies' heady's reply to Mike on Nov 4 at 10:32

Yeah, I may have had it mixed up. Thought that the 1st game at the Garden vs them last year Turner had a decent game and was thinking it was because Iguodala was out, but maybe not. I remember the Knicks taking it to us though and no one being able to handle/guard Amare. Believe he was eating EB's lunch all game long.

The first game was the tail end of their 1st set of back2back2back games, and that was the first game Hawes missed. It was a night game at MSG

eddies' heady's reply to Sean on Nov 4 at 10:44

OK thanks. Remember them beating us in a nooner on Sunday. Must have been another one besides the first matchup last year.

No problem. That loss was later in the year, when the Sixers were struggling and Woodson had taken over. Knicks were motivated because the prev matchup was a Philly rout @ MSG

spencer is hired reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 10:56

I believe G.Karl has a problem on his hands down the offensive end. McGee and Faried can't play together unless 3 very good offensive players surround them. It would be like Sam and R.Evans being on the floor together.

A lot of positives were made of the Iggy acquisition but they
lost almost 30 ppg. in the Afflalo/Harrington combo.

I believe Stoudemire or Melo being out makes the knicks better. They seem to play better D and more as a team. In the Miami game Kidd really helped move the ball, next to Felton.

i agree that Amare being out probably makes the Knicks better. at least spacing wise on offense, and obv he is one of the worst defenders at this point in the league.

What channel is the game on today?

Nevermind - Verizon's programming for CSN Philly was off. Nice work there.

Sixers waxed the Knicks last year in a noon game. Believe it was the middle game of Turner's three games of glory. Love to see a repeat if that. Melo will probably take 30 shots today, goal is to make as many if them as possible long twos. Thad also needs to get out in transition, make Melo sprint back every time. In listening in today, really missing league pass (and heat).

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:03

Let's go! Hope they're feeling overconfident from the basket being like an ocean from deep vs the Heat the other night. Really want to make a statement today concerning the Atlantic Division. Jrue and JRich's shots have to fall at a better clip today you'd think. As do some others. Go Sixers!!

my tv feed is fucked up

Kind of crazy that these teams are playing 50% of their schedule against each other in the first 3 games of the year.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 4 at 12:11

And a back to back at that.

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:12

Hope this is the last time I mention this, Violet Palmer alert.

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:14

Thad sprinting down court quick and setting up shop in the paint posting up Melo. Missed it though.

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:15

Damn, JRich hurt falling on camera man. Looks like a sprain. Ugh

Uhoh JRich is down and there's Violet, not a good start already...

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:17

Come on Evan, get back man. Stop complaining.

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:20

Good pass out Thad. Lavoy J

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:21

Melo 3, Thad's reluctant to be out there at the arc, but Thad posts him up again on the return trip down court.

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:21

Get Turner the fuck out. Taking early contested J. Get Wright in Doug.

Well then if that's the only qualification - probably should get Nick Young out as well

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Nov 4 at 12:24

Nick Young can actually shoot.

Yes he's doing an excellent job of it right now...

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Nov 4 at 12:27

To clarify, there were several other qualifiers as well. That was just the latest

Not to mention your loathing of Evan Turner...Nick Young has done nothing useful either yet but you selectively focused on Evan Turner your whipping boy

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Nov 4 at 12:30

Ok

It's nice that you want to give the Knicks all those open looks at the three, but it will make it much harder to win if you allow the open looks, can't rebound, and run your offense like you've had your heads removed

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:25

Dorell in for ET. Spencer in for Lavoy.

i'm assuming Richardson broke or badly sprained his ankle

nice block thad

He had some help on that - Thad and Hawes a nice team block on the oop attempt followed up by a nice dunk by Hawes

If the sixers learned how maybe to at least contest these threes it'd probably be a closer game

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:28

Dorell 333333333

good drive jrue

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:29

Doug should keep posting Thad in the paint every time down court. Make Melo stop that. He's had three good looks at it but has only converted one.

@Sixers: Jason Richardson suffered a left ankle sprain in the 1st quarter and will not return.

Phew - hopefully a mild one. Was confident it wasn't a break but more hopeful it was more of a slight twist that just needed a few minutes rest. Here's hoping it's just this one game.

Dorrell Wright at least seems to be making sure he gets good looks

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:33

Dorell with a steal. Thad w/ a clean-up of Dorell's missed layup.

Ugh, Thad w/ a foul

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:34

Ugh, missed freebie o-board. Novak 3

Threes, Pick & Roll defense, defensive rebounding; new rosters, new coaches, same issues

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:35

Dorell might want to get a little lower in his stance on Melo. He blew right by him. That or play further off conceding the jumper.

Melo could do that every play if he wanted. luckily he's going to continue hoisting 20 footers.

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:38

25-31, Bad guys.

Have to shore up the rotations on defense big time. Too many clean looks from deep being given up. Felton with 9 early pts, no way that sustains. Would like to see either some side P&R's with Jrue/Thad or pick and pops with Spencer/NYoung and Jrue. And keep posting up Thad in the paint, Melo can't stop him from getting deep position.

Richardson sprains his ankle on a freaking camera man - Melo jumps 3 rows in and suffers no ill effects...just annoying

That guy in the shot with Edie Falco is also an actor - I don't know his name but he's no Nurse Jackie too

I like this Dorrell Wright kid

Mike reply to GoSixers on Nov 4 at 12:41

was it the priest from Sopranos

Yeah - that's him.

Like him he's a talented guy

Rich reply to GoSixers on Nov 4 at 23:39

He was in Mad Men too, in the flashback scenes showing Don's childhood. Matt Weiner, was a Sopranos writer, too. The cable dramas love recycling actors, not that I'm complaining. Many of them are terrific.

mymanjrue reply to Mike on Nov 4 at 19:19

Father Phil!

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:39

Small lineup here. Dorell at the 4.

Malik, Nick, ET, Dorell, Hawes

A small line up with a 7 footer at the 5?

It's not like the sixers have an actual 'normal' sized power forward on the roster

sissy layup

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:40

Attaboy Spencer. Stay motivated, you can be big today.

31 points in the first? Ugh.

Wayans - pass the ball a bit please

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:41

Maalik with a bad early shot. And Maalik with another bad early contested shot. COme on....

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:43

Dammit, come on Nick. Letting Brewer sneak by him on the cut and finish.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:44

But it was started by Maalik getting hung up on a screen and letting that foreign guy get by him.

I thought one of Evan Turner assets was supposed to be defense...JR Smith making him his bitch

Oh Spencer - you can do better than that

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:46

They've got to shore up this porous defense. Too many clean and open looks being given up.

Flagrant 1 - no play for the ball

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:47

Flagrant on Kurt whacking ET across the head.

Come on Evan - you were looking at the guy and still threw it to the knicks

Turner literally looks retarded on the court, almost always

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:51

You guys stop making Turner your whipping boy haha

Jrue and Thad need to get some sort of two man game going offensively...everyone else looks half asleep

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:53

Turner's is garbage though. He has no flow or rhythm whatsoever unless he's allowed to dominate the ball for a long portion of the shot clock. And even then, he still struggles.

Novak missed the three but had an open look and the sixers force Thad into triple coverage - that went well

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:54

Ugh, a good pass up ahead to Thad for an oop. And thad missed the bunny.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:54

pass from ET

Another open look (miss) this time for Felton - these guys got to learn to rotate if they're going to double Carmelo Anthony

Since when do they call Palming in the NBA?

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:56

Melo is killing THad with that in-and-out swing-thru then dribble and attack to his left. Thad can't stay with it and Melo is at the rim before he knows it.

This is one of those games where the sixers will miss Iguodala the most - no one on this team can stop Melo unless he stops himself

7/14 from three - offense a mess - honestly to be down 10 right now they're lucky

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 12:58

Brean and Clyde on ET: Brean - "what position is his best position?" Clyde - "I don't know he's not a PG" Brean - "he cant really shoot" Clyde - "yeah, and he's not a good ball-handler either" Brean - "think he's better when he can dominate the ball"

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:02

Come on Dorell, letting Brewer get behind you for a layup

Jesus Nick - really making the most of the Richardson injury aren't you?

How was that NOT a foul on chandler shoving Hawes?

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:03

NYoung gunning too much now, last 2 possessions. Run a play please

Ugh, Felton takes Jrue for a layup

Jrue answers

I know bynum is going to help but he's not going to make the inability of anyone on this team to rotate any better

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:04

Jrue with an early J, no offense being run

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:04

missed J

Only fair, they aren't playing much defense either, gotta maintain a balance

That's the second pass thrown directly to the Knicks - what the hell

Wow way to finish the half

And for halftime enjoyment I get bengals broncos - sigh

The team as playing bad but damn where's the number 2 pick when u need him

Playing the same game he always does?

eddies' heady's reply to marcus on Nov 4 at 13:13

Well, he said himself he's been off for two years so maybe he doesn't know the season's started yet. Bum.

think the Knicks might be a little better than i thought this season. Amare being out helps. not saying it's totally on him either, but he & Melo can't play at the same time.

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:11

F me Dorell! Silly pass, Melo runout on other end.

Terrible, terrible quarter there. Didn't think they could play worse than the first but they surpassed it clearly.

They've got to stop this one-on-one on offense. They're making the Knicks have it too easy on D, run some sets and multiple screens and make the Knicks have it tougher on that end. Don't even remember seeing a Hawes handoff play yet.

Jrue and Hawes look to be the ones that are going to have to carry them. Turner's invisible again, JRich is out, NYoung is gunning in get-his mode, Thad doesn't have touch, Lavoy's just out there, and Dorell has missed a couple good open looks.

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:19

While it's looked really bad, the Knicks are 7-16 from deep while the Sixers are only 2-5. The Sixers are shooting not terribly bad as a whole. The disparity from deep is basically the difference right now. Not getting killed on the boards and the Sixers have a small advantage in pts in the paint even with the presence of Chandler.

Even though the rotations have been spotty at best with all the clean looks from deep for the Knicks the effort level from some of the guys seems to be lacking a bit. The Knicks look to have more intensity. Maybe it's the nooner but somebody (Jrue?) needs to show and display some leadership on-court.

Did he change his name in the office season to "Reigning Defensive Player of the Year Tyson Chandler"?

At this point - Jrue and Spencer might be the only guys I trust shooting

Turner will lead the league in BA this year

Good look Lavoy

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:28

Jrue step-back 3!!! Come on, D up...

Good lord evan - pass the ball

Damn it Jrue - take that open three

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:30

Shoot that shit, Jrue. You had all day and just finished knocking down one.

Possibly a 5 point swing with the hardly ever called foul against Nick...

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:31

Get Evan the fuck out of there DOug!

This richardson injury hurts cause both turner and nick young need to come out but Wright can't replace both of them unless he wants to go tall and drop Spencer in too and slide lavoy and thad over

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Nov 4 at 13:34

Yep, that JRich injury could mean Thad needs to play some three, or, Damiem Wilkins gets some burn.

And means too much (it seems of both Turner and Nick YOung...looks like Doug fet Lavoy was who needed to sit.

At this point I hope they can lose by less than 10

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:35

Ugh, ET still in. Spencer in for Lavoy

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:36

If Nick Young is gonna fire it up the second he touches it, at least try to play some semblance of D.

Dorell in for Nick.

I think he was told 'we want you to be like lou williams - but from the outside'

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:39

This game has exposed what could be a glaring weakness. With JRich out and NYoung not able to find the net we basically have no shooting guard. That is, unless you want to try ET there again with fail.

Shit, bring Maalik in and slide Jrue over to the 2

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:39

Or even bring in Ivey, he can at least D up better than Maalik.

Thad - you might be more athletic than anyone guarding you - that needs to be worked on

Malik's disdain for Violet Palmer is humorous

MCT reply to GoSixers on Nov 4 at 13:41

especially since it is justified haha

Except that it's not like she's any worse than most refs in the league - she just happens to not have testicles

MCT reply to GoSixers on Nov 4 at 13:44

I disagree, I think she is one of the worst, but she does get even more criticism because she is a woman, no doubt

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:41

ET jumper. He dribbles with his head down consistently. Never looking up.

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:44

Come on, get this to around 7 or 8 before end of quarter here

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:45

Ugh, Dorell rushed that 3

I feel like Turner has got caught in every screen set on him

Wayans and Young two man game - unsurprisingly that went horrible

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:47

66-75 after three quarter. Still a chance to come back, but it's a mighty small one with the way this one has gone.

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:51

Come the fuck on Lavoy, pass the damn ball inbounds cleanly.

Wayans isn't taking good shots and the easy look 3's just continue - there will be a season when the sixers can defend the pick and roll right?

Knicks quickly out to 15 points

eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:53

Maalik with his 3rd bad shot. 3 on other end by JR Smith while ET sags down in lane watching Kurt Thomas for no reason.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 4 at 13:54

Just a lackadaisical effort from Turner there. Pitiful

Without Jrue in there the Sixers are toast.

They miss Lou Will. Turner was supposed to be the one to step up as the main ball handler with Jrue off the floor, but that has yet to happen.

Turner looks tired out there. J.R. Smith is lighting him up.

Turner looks awful.