An Old Friend Comes To Town

I got the first trivia question, no idea on the second.

i think i remember some heated battles between Holiday & Collison when he was on the Pacers. doesn't seem like those two get along.

as far as the trivia question, i came up with Kenny Payne, but he only played 4 years.

Andrew Toney?

Yep. Toney is the last.

Statman reply to Brian on Nov 27 at 9:51

I'll add Doug Collins and Luke Jackson to the list. Before that would be Dollar Bill territory, though there can't have been too many more if we're limiting answers to those who played only in Philly (for example, Hal Greer played his entire career for the Sixers franchise, but he started in Syracuse).

First "pure" 76er: 6'5" Jerry Greenspan, a lad from Nuwok, NuJerzee who starred for Univ. Of Maryland B.L. (before Lefty); '62 2nd team All-ACC (led Terps in scoring, rebounding). Splinter aficionado for 76ers 1st 2 editions. Career spanned but 2 seasons, both in the stars & stripes (wore #22). Went right and left with equal frustration.

Charlie H reply to Statman on Nov 27 at 21:03

Why doesn't Greer count? He didn't change teams.

5 yrs. wearing a Syracuse Nationals uniform doesn't equate to "entire career with Sixers." Geography and logos differentiate. Of course you're free to qualify him if you'd like - but fittingly, with an icicled asterisk.

i think the game is on NBATV

Ugh, think I screwed up my DVR, then. Going to have to walk the wife through it over the phone, which never ends well.

Question #2- I'll take a shot

50 seasons and at least 12 players on the roster. I'm going to say that there was an average of 14 players on each roster which brings the total up to 700. I'm going to assume that on average they retained about 9 guys on the roster from year to year. Which means that each off season they brought in 5 new players that made the team. I'm going to assume that 3 players were exchanged every year during the season via trade and I'm going to assume that they signed a guy off the street mid-season every other year. I'm not going to account for draft picks that never made the team.

so..
14+(5*50)+(3*50)+(25*1)= 439

Stan reply to Stan on Nov 27 at 10:44

Fuck. I misread the question. I thought he asked how many total players the Sixers had in their history. I was kind of impressed with that random piece of Sixers trivia

Stan reply to Stan on Nov 27 at 10:47

Looked it up. 349 total.

Court_visioN reply to Stan on Nov 27 at 12:12

+/- 90. You're golden.

Dr. J should count b/c he never played on another NBA team.

Yeah, he was my first answer. But the question was posed to me as drafted by sixers and retired w/ sixers.

w/o playing anywhere else.

Statman reply to Brian on Nov 28 at 16:31

I took a few minutes to research this question fully and was surprised to find that there are only three players total who played their entire careers for the Philadelphia 76ers and played at least 5 years: Andrew Toney, Doug Collins, Luke Jackson. If we say "NBA careers," then Billy Cunningham and Julius Erving get added. The finding is somewhat surprising given that the 76ers have been in Philly for 50 years.

Some other trivia:
- It isn't all that common to find players who even played at least the first five years of their career with the 76ers, but the 05-06 team had five of them (Iverson, Dalembert, Willie Green, Iguodala, Lou Williams).
- On the current team, Thad is in his sixth year, and we'll see if he finishes his career with the Sixers.
- If you want to see the other end of the spectrum, figure out how many Celtics have done it (I can name close to ten without researching).

Now for a related question: how many current players fit the criteria? (e.g., Kobe, Pierce, Nowitzki, Durant, etc.)

Good question. Off the top of my head:

Jameer, Wade, Josh Smith, Horford, Granger, Rudy Gay, Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Rondo, Pierce, Jose Calderon, LaMarcus Aldridge, Derrick Rose, Luol Deng, Joakim Noah, Millsap, Kobe...Hmnn. You mentioned a couple others, Dirk and Durant. So I'll go with 21 because I'm sure I'm missing someone.

The nice difference between brand and bynum is that the sixers don't have to be on the hook for over paying a chornically injured big man

And the whole 'oh if he plays a few games and looks good' max him out thing? Take a look at how that has worked out this season for New Orleans

The difference between brand and bynum is also that at the time brands injuries themselves weren't chronic types - Bynums knees are fragile - seriously - BOWLING? Knee injuries suck.

Not to mention bynums laissez-faire attitude towards his injuries, surgeries, rehab isn't exactly encouraging.

I believe is the sixers max out Andrew Bynum, the fans will spend at least 50% of that contract lamenting the waste of 100 mil

This is a bigger question, something I'll dive into much deeper when I have the time, but in brief...so what?

Here's the question. Knowing the NBA landscape. Knowing how hard it is to be truly relevant. Knowing how it's much harder to land a superstar and be a legit contender. Here's the question.

If you paid $100M over 5 years for Bynum, and he was only only the floor in 3 of those years, but in those 3 years, you were a contender, would it be worth it? 2 miserable years, best-case, you're the Bulls when Jordan was playing baseball. 3 great years where you have Jrue in his absolute prime with a dominant big man for say 80% of the season and the playoffs. Would that be worth $100M to you?

1. Bynum isn't a superstar in my mind - he doesn't work or care enough about basketball - he's also a petulant baby

2. Even with Bynum - the heat are better than the sixes - they just are

3. Giving Bynum 100 mil prevents you from filling the massive holes you still have at power forward and small forward

So - yeah - i think giving bynum 100 mil to play part of 5 seasons (he's not going play full seasons in any of those 5 years) and hoping he's healthy enough come playoff time to matter is a bad idea.

Your thinking - that's what's wrong with the NBA in general in my opinion - we had this argument earlier this summer - ignoring injury history when giving people giant contracts.

He's played ONE full season in the past how many? He's more mlikely to miss 20-30 games a season than miss full seasons and play other full season

Do you see any other possible way the Sixers could be contenders in the East in the next five years?

I'm not saying it's an ideal situation, but I think a bird in the hand for maybe 50-60 games/year, with three years where he's there for the playoffs is probably the best chance they have. I mean, they're playing w/out him right now, and they sure don't look like they're going to get a high lottery pick w/ this roster minus him, they aren't going to sign a transformative player w/ the cap space, so what's the alternative?

I think even if he doesn't play a game this year, as long as there isn't a medical report saying he's done forever, you have to sign him.

Rich reply to GoSixers on Nov 27 at 12:27

As long as he's at full-go for the playoffs though, that's all that really matters. Not saying he would or wouldn't be, but 50 games and a healthy playoff run would be all they needed from him.

Here's something that you should factor in with thoughts of the Heat down the road: Dwyane Wade has the potential to fall off a cliff soon. For now, it's for the best, because all of the silly LeBron-Alpha Dog questions are handled, but let's see how Wade holds up playing a million games these next couple years.

In three years, a Sixers-Heat matchup could be interesting with a healthy Bynum and Jrue progressing. The Sixers would be lightyears better than Miami at the 1 and 5, and Miami better at the 3 and 4 (or 4 and 5 if they go small). The cross matching could be phenomenal.

But hey, there are a lot of ifs in there. Just spitballing...

Think a team w/ a dominant 5 and a very good point can beat MIA. They haven't faced that.

Stan reply to Brian on Nov 27 at 13:40

If the Sixers believe that they can get 3 healthy (and productive) seasons out of Bynum, I don't think they hesitate to offer him an extension.

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 12:04

hey do you guys think jrue has a shot at the all-star game this year? He's 8th in the east in ppg and 2nd in the east in assists. The only point guards over him will probably be Rondo and Deron.

YoungGun13 reply to YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 12:04

oh and kyrie irving.

Kyrie will have missed a month, minimum. But unless the Sixers are doing really well as a team, Jrue doesn't have a shot over those three guys unless he's at like 20/10 at the break.

YoungGun13 reply to Brian on Nov 27 at 12:12

Yeah thats true. But do the fans get to pick the whole roster or just the starters?

Just the starters

He's played better than Deron.

YoungGun13 reply to Brian on Nov 27 at 12:08

yeah but deron has "star power."

usuallyJustLurking on Nov 27 at 13:30

Correct me if I'm wrong about the CBA but the Sixers can pay him more money than any other team on a 4 year deal. Would a 3 year max deal with a TEAM option for year 4 be better than he could receive on the open market? This gives the Sixers flexibility if Bynum can't stay healthy but they give a little more $$ to keep him happy.

I don't think the max they can offer him for 3 years is much more than the max another team can offer him for those same 3 years. Bynum wouldn't turn down the guaranteed 4th year of 20+ million for the chance to make an extra 5~ million over the course of 3 years.

I'd love it if they got a discount or something, but doubt it's going to happen. Their only out, if they re-sign him, is they'll have the stretch provision, should they need it.

Personally, I'd pay $100M for even a 10% chance he's healthy enough to go in the playoffs a couple times over the next couple of years.

Court_visioN reply to Brian on Nov 27 at 14:56

10% chance? Seems like a massive risk in that case.

Devoting 100 million dollars even at 50% seems like a massive risk to me in that case - I don't believe the sixers are going to win a title 'just' with Bynum and Jrue becoming the star everyone seens in less than 20 games this year, but adding to that roster with the new restrictive cap and tax would be even harder.

I still don't trust new ownership - I wouldn't be surprised if this was their hope just to get out of the Iguodala money a year early. Bynum doesn't play so they can use his injury as reason to let him walk ( a good one) but not spend money on other free agents (cause they rightly claim there aren't any)

Court_visioN reply to GoSixers on Nov 27 at 17:48

I'm not as pessimistic about the ownership as you are, and at 50% I would take that shot. Does a lot have to go right? Sure. But I do think you can build around a Jrue-Thad-Bynum core and pray that Turner can be decent enough.

So assuming they re-sign Bynum to a max deal. Then we're looking at three guys making $37-$40M two years down the road. So $13M to make up the rest of your roster, then exceptions. With a decision to make on Turner before you can spend any of that money, because his cap hold is $13M+.

This coming summer, again assuming you sign Bynum to the max, you've only got the MLE to play with, mostly because you have $13.5M committed to Turner and Hawes next season (plus another $5.9 to Lavoy and Kwame). Still have to make a decision about Dorrel (you hold his bird rights). If they bring Nick Young back, they have to use the MLE to pay for him, I believe, which isn't good.

Stan reply to Brian on Nov 27 at 18:37

Richardson would still be on the roster a year after Turner's current contract expires. They would also have to fill 7 roster spots and make a decision on Lavoy Allen.

In order to have $13 million in cap space for 2015, they would have to have fill 7 roster spots with 1-year contracts and let Wright and N. Young walk this year while not signing anyone with the MLE.

I'm kind of hoping for a lottery pick this summer and a disgruntled star that wants to be traded.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 27 at 19:03

You're killing me B. Come on man? 10%? And likely end up in cap purgatory for another 5 long years? Were you on board with the franchise yet when the Ruland trade went down? That was so painful for me. Or you're very forgetful of the Brand contract went bad I guess?

Look, I'm desperate as any other fan out there for the chance at the Larry O'Brien but that's way past desperate, that's just nuts.

Tom Moore on Nov 27 at 13:35

Shootaround video: The Mavericks' Elton Brand on how he experienced what Andrew Bynum is going through and his 4 years in Philly:

The issue regarding giving Bynum an extension isn't just about how many games he plays, but will he be as good as he was last season when he is playing. Considering how many injuries he has had, one has to consider the possibility that he has an Elton Brand or Jermaine O'neal like drop off in productivity after coming back from injury.

I like Lowe. It's not debatable, though. They had to make the trade for Bynum, no matter what happens.

Stan reply to Brian on Nov 27 at 14:38

He made it sound as though Orlando, Cleveland, and Houston didn't want Bynum.

Anyway, I think it's debatable since Iguodala still had trade value. They could have traded him to Toronto and built a core with Jrue and Drummond or they could have held on to him for this year to see what teams were going to offer. If Iguodala walked they would have had cap space along with the non-lottery picks for the next 2 years.

The Sixers lose if Bynum walks and they lose if he re-signs and isn't a top 5 center. A lot of things need to go right for them to win and apparently 3 different franchises weren't willing to that risk.

Tom Moore on Nov 27 at 14:14

Apparently the 2013 NFL draft class isn't that great. There isn't anyone that is supposed to be a "can't miss top 5 prospect". Fuck Philadelphia sports.

That's the spirit, Stan. By the way, do you emcee holiday parties?

It's 1971 revisited. But at least Smokin' Joe was around then to lift the city's chin. (Joe Lis, Dennis Awtrey, Happy Feller and Ralph MacSweyn tried their best but came up short. So did Barry Lersch, Kevin Loughery, Ernie Calloway and Serge Bernier.)

Tom Moore on Nov 27 at 15:46

Just found out Sixers not planning a video tribute for the Mavs' Elton Brand during tonight's game.

There's not sufficient footage. Yea, Elton's elsewhere.

"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus."

In a purely laughable event you have to admire Carlos Ruiz contributing to the philadelphia season of 'bad' tidings.

REally chooch?

dunno if anyone has posted this before.....but a nice take on iggy here

So about that Holiday vs. Lawson debate...

Can anyone explain to me why ESPN.com's PPG for and against are off by so much for the Sixers here: link. Off by like 7ppg. Don't get it.

Thanks Brian for asking the question here. Actually this is trivia for my blog about Sixers... I've started wondering about that after Iguodala's trade because I believed he would be a "pure Sixers". Earlier it was Iverson. Well, Toney must be the last one, but still have no clue about second part of that question. Anyway, thanks again for help!!!

theres a report that Dominique Jones is starting for Collison tonight

thad

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:12

JRich money!! Good play there.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:12

JRich money!! Jrue kickout.

evan 3

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:13

Turner 3!!!! Jrue kickout.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:14

Jrue dancing w/ the drillble. Settles for a in the paint pullup J. Hot shooting to this point.

jrue floater

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:16

Jrue floater in paint.

kaman to the bank

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:18

Ohhhh, sweet pass ET to Thad.

They're moving the ball great tonight, let's keep that up

wright at the 4

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:23

Thad w/ 2 early fouls.

turner jumper

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:30

Dag Spencer lol

I'm not surprised lol

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:31

Careless Evan. You can't take it 4 on 1.

so after a hot start they go ice cold? Nice

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:33

They're on a 12-0 run. Need a bucket in the worst way.

Shit, Nick, a lazy careless pass. Come on.

long 2 for evan

evan 3

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:34

ET corner 3!!!

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:35

When Evan shoots that corner 3, it looks like he loads it up and kind of shotputs it. But he does look more comfortable pulling the trigger on it.

Yeah it's definitely better when he takes his time and puts up more of a set shot than a jumpshot. Hope he doesn't fall in love with it though, I have a feeling the percentage will come back down to reality eventually

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:39

Bad pass from Wayns to Nick ends in a turnover b/c Nick had to touch pass it after jumping to catch the high pass.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:40

NYoung takes a bad shot from deep. Too early in the clock and it was contested, he can get that any time

Spencer fouls EB shooting a 15 footer and-one. Good work there Spence.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:41

Wayns needs to shoot a floater there.

Wayns to the cup again, fouled.

johnrosz on Nov 27 at 19:42

Wayns might just be too small

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:43

Defense is too porous. Need to tighten it up. Their looks are coming too easy, need more of a challenge.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:43

Wayns rains!

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:44

Wayns reminds me of Iverson when he goes in there amongst the trees and thuds to the floor.

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:46

I can do that too

Court_visioN reply to johnrosz on Nov 27 at 19:46

doubtful. you'd get stripped before you get inside the 3 pt line.

Charlie H on Nov 27 at 19:47

trivia guess (without reading posts): Andrew Toney.

Doug Collins, Hal Greer, Dolph Schayes, Luke Jackson

Kenny Payne just misses making the list.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:47

Wayns being Iverson-esque gunning a contested one from 20.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:50

Wayns, Jrue, JRich, Thad, Kwame.

Odd lineup.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:50

Clean that mess up Jrue!!! Come on.

johnrosz on Nov 27 at 19:51

Kinda miss EB when I see money wasted on stiffs like Nick Young and Hawes

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 19:51

Kwame brown misses a dunk. Brand blown bunny. And they fail to rebound it...

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:52

At this rate, they're gonna have to put up 110 or more to take this one. Giving up way too many points in the paint. Not making them take tough shots.

It's not complicated. No rebounding. The only time the other team's possession ends is a) when they score, and b) when you get the damn rebound.

And this Wayns/Jrue/J-Rich/Thad/Kwame lineup just looks ugly.

Alvin reply to Alvin on Nov 27 at 19:54

Oh I forgot, c) when they turn it over.

8 turnovers for us already and it's not even halftime.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:55

Ugh, that was a backcourt violation. No whistle.

they are free

I never like to see an alley oop thrown to Lavoy. Or Kwame. Or Hawes. Wow our bigs suck.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 19:56

They're free Thad! Lavoy fouled on o-board attempt.

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 19:58

Its crazy how that scrub has 13 already tonight.

Gotta keep them from getting to the paint that easily. Giving up too many easy points. It all looks downhill from here.

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 20:00

And we should get jrue in the post more often against collison

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:02

OK, they're in the penalty, let's be aggressive here and attack the hole.

these refs are inconsistent

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:04

Jrue to the line, he had nowhere to go with the ball though. Good bailout.

Jrue's free throw stroke is so smooth.

nice, let's keep being aggressive and taking it to the rim, get some freebies before the half

Damien Wilkins? What the hell Doug

Why why why use Wilkins before Royal??

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:06

Dammit Jrue!!!! Clean that shit up man.

Another funky lineup here

Jrue, ET, Dorell, Wilkins, Lavoy

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 20:06

Shawn "quickdraw" Marion with the and-1

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:08

Wayns back in, Jrue out w/ 2 fouls.

Wayns, ET, Dorell, Wilkins, Lavoy to close here. Ugh

what the hell kind of TUrner-esque crap was that DOrell??

too much dribbling ET, bailed out...make the freebies

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:09

Yeah, ET to the line and he didn't really have anywhere to go.

Turner has scored more than Mayo. We should be winning this.

YoungGun13 reply to Alvin on Nov 27 at 20:11

Chris Kaman has scored more than jrue holiday. We should not be winning this

Alvin reply to YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 20:13

The scary thing is, so has Brand.

Our bigs are so bad we really should be giving Moultrie a run. He surely can't do any worse.

YoungGun13 reply to Alvin on Nov 27 at 20:17

Yeah but moultrie didn't rebound anything last game. Doug probably won't let him get in.

how many and-1's are the fucking Mavs going to get tonight??

Every time we get close they get an AND-1.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:10

Ugh Lavoy, fouls EB for the and-one. That was bad defense there by Lavoy, he conceded the angle to EB and let him get the shot off. Lavoy just stopped his lateral movement.

It's a good thing Dallas were in the penalty early in the 2nd because the free throws have kept the Sixers in it.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:13

Not but two things: careless live ball turnovers and points given up in the paint.

Value the ball, and wall the lane off on D = win.

Now, go do it dammit!

heh this team is so awful they're getting beasted inside by Elton Brand

Greg Anthony hitting the nail on the head. Sixers are not defending. A bit hard trying to wall the lane off without proper bigs though.

jrue to lavoy

thad jumper

Thad heating up

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 20:29

kaman just keeps killing it in the post. Unfortunately we don't have an answer for him. Evan with the nice look. We're up one!

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:30

Jrue spin move, nice.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:31

Thad w/ great position, cant finish.

Damn Lavoy AGAIN

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:31

WTF Lavoy!!!! Stop reaching on Kaman out there, I don't care if it was a legit call or not.

need a replay

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:32

Thad w/ a bad pass.

Thad block!!!! Bullshit call, Thad got all ball!!!

YoungGun13 reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:33

hit em in the head.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:33

Actually Thad didn't even get the ball, Jones just clanked the dunk.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:33

Lavoy moving screen, that's 4 on him. He's sucking major tonight.

makeup call there

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:34

Bad thing is, when Lavoy goes out Kwame has to come in. sigh

true but not sure if i'd want to see Hawes.

YoungGun13 reply to Alvin on Nov 27 at 20:39

Hawes vs Kaman would be a matchup for the ages.

...does anyone know if Rod Thorn is still alive??

nice work thad

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 20:35

Jrue with the sweetness... And the matrix hits a three

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 20:36

I would like to see moultrie get these 7 minutes.

kwame!

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:39

Only 4 pts in the paint for almost half a quarter, better job there. Still need to tighten the D up, especially the help D and second level. It's way too porous once they get by their initial defender w/ the dribble.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:40

ET with the head-fake hesitation move.

Good bucket Turner

nice take ET

Kaman walks on the other end

nice evan

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:41

Yeah, ET off the hip and-one. He's had a good game thus far. Playing within himself.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:43

Catch the fucking ball Kwame.

ET saying fuck it I'm shooting it!!

No ET you do not throw it to Brown in the paint.

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 20:43

Kwame with the action figure hands of stone. Evan on the other hand is on a streak

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:46

This 3 and a half minutes here is gonna be huge. Can they distance themselves any with this 2 pt lead?

Well, not like that... shit

ET with the heat check. Should try to go to the rim.

Thad with 4 fouls now, shit

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:47

Ugh, Spencer fouls EB w/ 2 on shot clock.

hawes kwame frontcourt

I bet Brand and Kaman were excited they were gonna play against Kwame and Hawes tonight.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:48

Jrue, Nick, ET, and the twin sissies. ugh

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:49

Dag Doug, he pulled Jrue and put Wayns in to close this quarter here.

sissy jumper

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:50

Problem with Wayns right now is, he doesn't get any of his teammates a look. He's just out there.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:53

The clock kept running after that ball went out of bounds!!

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:54

Bullshit call! He semi-flopped.

ugh

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 20:56

Our luck.....

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:56

F me!!! Nope, it was on his fingertips. That's not gonna count.

Much better quarter there defensively, only gave up 8 pts in the paint. Just no turnovers down the stretch here please and they're home free.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:59

Heh, Wayns gets a shooting foul there? He was passing it.

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 20:59

Uhhhh maalik put that shot up

nice jrue

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:01

Big o-board there by Wright. Jrue floater.

Good hustle Dorell

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:02

Dorell's just got to stop with these pump-fakes and dribble-drives. They don't end positively.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:03

Jrue!!! come on man, that was too close of a pass to even attempt. And on top of that, it was to fucking Hawes!!!! arrrgggghhhhh

Way too many turnovers

sissy jumper

Good play swaggy/hawes

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:06

Good tip Dorell!!!! spencer put-back

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:07

Oh snap!!!! Nick with a swift pass to Wright for the SLAM!!!!

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 21:08

Hell of a play by jrue!

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:08

4 pt cushion now. You guys gonna get stops or what? That's where it's gonna be won at. Come on...

YoungGun13 reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:10

man i hope so

Amazing passing on that play. Totally timeout worthy. Just so we can watch more replays.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:09

I think Jrue walked his ass off though on that spin. ha

YoungGun13 reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:10

nah he crab walked.

YoungGun13 reply to YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 21:12

wow we're stepping it up on defense. thad young and 1

swaggy floater

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:10

Great hand by JRich there.

Nick tosses in a floater!!!

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:11

JRich with the good hands again, resulting in a turnover. Let's go!!!

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:11

Jrue steal!!!! Thad AND ONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes yes yes

Thad is down holy crap

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:12

Another steal!!!!! by Kwame. Good active hands from everyone.

nice pass jrue

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:14

Thad has struggled from the stripe tonight. ugh

Charlie H reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:23

But 11 fta is the good news. that's gotta be a high for the Sixers this year.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:15

Carry on Jrue? shit man.....

Just D up here, no threes.

Charlie H on Nov 27 at 21:16

Palming on Jrue. He's got as many turns as assists.

kwame tip in!

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:16

Kwame tip!!!! Stop please!!

jrue long 2

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:17

Jrue in your eye Collison!!! heh

Charlie H on Nov 27 at 21:18

that's a huge bucket by Jrue

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:18

Only 2 pts in the paint for Dallas so far with 3 min left? Novel concept huh?

Charlie H reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:20

in the entire game???

eddies' heady's reply to Charlie H on Nov 27 at 21:21

quarter, 4 now though

Holiday with one of those possessions where no one else touches the ball and he throws up a long 2, but makes it.

hack a kwame

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:20

Hack-a-Kwame!!!

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 21:20

hack a kwame?

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:22

A Mayo 3, ugh. Big bucket by him there.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:23

Way to draw a foul Evan. Make em now...

too much 1 on 1, not enough ball movement

eddies' heady's reply to sixerfan1220 on Nov 27 at 21:24

totally agree was saying the same thing before that last timeout

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:25

That was a backcourt violation on Turner there.

Thad J!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:26

You're fucking kidding me!!!! Pull the ball Turner out and hold it and run clock.

F Me a Carter 3

ughhhh

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:27

Just not a good possession there by Jrue. Damn......

Charlie H on Nov 27 at 21:28

This is great. Now they can lose with a 3 pointer, less than :24 left. Who's (not) guarding Carter?

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 21:28

jrue was trying to draw the foul there. Bad shot by him. He should just drive to the basket and try to draw the foul instead of settling for jumpers

Damn it Jrue why the two jumpers

Today of all days Jrue tries to go Hero Ball. Thad and Turner have been better tonight

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:30

Please get a stop here!!!!

......Good help there by Kwame.

What? a whistle? really? Yep, Jrue with a reach in. Unnecessary.

Mayo misses!!!

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 21:30

BOX OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!1

get this rebound!! intentional miss coming now

holy shit

holy shit

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 21:31

IF that shot went in. I might of never watched a sixers game again.

There's absolutely NOTHING you would EVER 'might of' done...but I'm willing to be if you are a Sixers fan you would have watched another game if they lost tonight.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:32

Well Jrue, you did some OK things tonight, but you tried your damnedest to give this game to Dallas. Thad and ET bailed your booty out tonight.

JRich with three timely, big steals too.

Charlie H reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:34

6 TOs and 2 bad jumpers at crunch time.

eddies' heady's reply to Charlie H on Nov 27 at 21:36

and a silly reach in foul on Mayo

Someone said something about being good at closing out earlier?

YoungGun13 reply to GoSixers on Nov 27 at 21:33

do you expect us to make every shot around crunch time or something?

That is in no way what I said. I don't expect YOU to make any shots

YoungGun13 reply to GoSixers on Nov 27 at 21:35

K

Charlie H on Nov 27 at 21:32

Putting Crowder in was a good move. Whew.

YoungGun13 on Nov 27 at 21:32

Good win guys. Im gonna take my ass to bed before i have a heart attack.

Wow that turnover by Richardson turned this into a heart attack. At first I wanted him to shoot it, then realised we should just milk the clock. But he turned it over and they quickly made a basket and things got close.

And when I saw Crowder letting fly I honestly thought he was gonna make it. It looked like a set play from Dallas and it almost did pay off. I was having all kinds of Cartier Martin/Devin Harris flashbacks

Is Chris Webber the worst former player turned studio idiot around (NBA Division? THe dudes on MLB network as a whole win for the over all competition)

Listening to him talk during the third quarter (as opposed to letting the game be shown, thanks NBA TV) demonstrated a complete lack of insight about anything and he's yet another douche with fake glasses

Hey Chris - if being 9-6 and saying you're good is 'disrespectful' to basketball - what do you call the federal crimes you were involved in when you went to the University of Michigan?

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Nov 27 at 21:50

I wish they'd let Steve Smith do every show. He's very good and one of the few who's not stuck on himself and his career.

It's my experience that all the 'league' networks (MLB, NFL, NBA - i don't watch NHL) really don't hire the best analysts or in studio people - i mean kamla is awful but the guys on MLB TV are pretty bad too - and many of the NFL guys seem to be using their 'podium' to get back at folk who wronged em when they played.

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Nov 27 at 22:11

Ex-NFL players in broadcasting are for the most part insufferable blowhards. Cris Carter and Mark Schlereth are so pompous and self-important I can't listen to them. And I don't get the whole Mike Ditka thing. He can't even complete a sentence. Heard Dan Dierdorf this weekend - he seems to get worse every year. He's been doing network games for 30 years and he still gets assigned to the B-list games.

Would you trade the unhealthy andrew bynum (and his bird rights) to the cavs to get varejao who seems to be developing some offense this year?

Mike reply to GoSixers on Nov 27 at 22:02

in a heartbeat, without even knowing what Varrejao's contract is like

Mike reply to GoSixers on Nov 27 at 22:03

although after looking at his bio he's also had more injuries than i remember

Is he injured a lot? I must have forgotten as well - I just really want the sixers to have a big man who can rebound - sometime in the next decade

It's amazing how much worse they are (the big men) without elton brand

ELTON BRAND for gods sake

Mike reply to GoSixers on Nov 27 at 22:14

only played 56 games total the past 2 seasons (not counting this season). also dealt with significant injuries before.

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Nov 27 at 22:20

Maybe we can get him.

I wouldn't make that Varejao trade. Bynum's expiring, and talents like him don't come along often. (How did he last until #10 in the draft? Kwame Brown went first. Wow. Different drafts of course, but still.) The thought of the Sixers signing Bynum to a max deal scares the hell out of me. I guess if he managed to play 50 games a year and not miss the playoffs, he'd be worth it. It seems like a lock that he'll never play 82. Having the choice between a big chunk of cap space and Bynum for 6 years is better than having a mediocre center who's really a power forward.

Stan reply to GoSixers on Nov 27 at 22:14

Nope. I'm rolling the dice with Bynum and giving him the max

Byron Scott is awesome

Andy Varrejao is fantastic, everybody else sucked tonight

leave it to Evan to come off like douchebag in an interview just as he's enjoying some success and people are starting to come around on him

South Broad reply to Mike on Nov 27 at 22:58

What did he say?

I really need to stop picking random topics to write about. Hero ball almost sank them tonight. Great game for Turner, he's my POTG. Jrue was way too careless w/ the ball, but should've easily had 10+ assists. Shocked they got to the line that much.

9-6, I'll take it. Need to be 4 games up before the Ice Capades trip, minimum.

I only got to watch the 4th quarter of the game. How was Turner's defense?

sfw reply to Stan on Nov 28 at 8:23

Excellent. He shut down OJ Mayo. I think his best combination of offense and Defensive game of the season.

Richardson was on Mayo from the start. Turner played him later in the game.

Noticed Richardson is getting the Iguodala assignments, btw.

sfw reply to Brian on Nov 28 at 11:36

He did absolutely nothing when ET was on him and in general whoever Turner was on didn't do much if anything positive. This is the opposite of Turner performances in the past. Really, a good sign in addition to his efficient offensive performance. Hopefully, he becomes consistent on both sides of the ball.

Not saying he was bad, just saying his matchup in the first half was Jae Crowder. Great job shutting him down.

sfw reply to Brian on Nov 28 at 14:19

good sarcasm. I was at the game and I believe during the 2nd half he was matched up with Mayo but my eyes have proved me wrong before. He has improved. Could be a great combo with Jrue if both continue to improve their games. I really like the personalities on this team. Maybe a tweak(Hawes for a defensive minded big with a slightly worse contract?) could push us a bit further on without Bynum.

Any win is a good win when you root for the sixers, but they really played like shit. Just an all around lazy effort with the exception of Kwame and ET who were awesome. Lavoy is really disappointing me. He seemed to have rid himself of all his "draft baggage" last season in terms of his perceived laziness and lack of a motor. I thought he busted his ass in the playoffs. This season...well...he is showing he can often be lazy and have no motor. Fantastic.

The NBA TV crew is the fucking worst. God the suck. I used to like Anthony when he was on ESPN. Webber is a disgrace. He makes me pine for Tim Hardaway again.

TwoSense on Nov 27 at 23:51

76ers 7-0 when leading at start of 4th quarters.

So, Evan Turner, huh?

Gotta say, the season thus far has been the polar opposite of last year, when they built up huge wins with all around team ball at the expense of their two young guys.

This year, they are a worse team with just an abhorrent frontcourt outside of Thad, whose built like a three. But through this, they are still winning games, and the two young guards are developing way more than last year (We'll see with Turner, he's done this before).

It's such a shame our big guys are so bad. This was the crew they were going to roll with before the Bynum trade. They'd obviously still have Iggy, but Doug Collins really signed Kwame and Hawes to two year deals. I say this with the least amount of malice possible (because I'm not really that mad, considering Jrue and Evan have shown signs of life), but Hawes and Lavoy have been such a disgrace. Kwame too, but at least he plays hard.

Wasn't pretty all the time, but a win is a win. So far i like this season better than last year.

Like everyone else, I'm enjoying watching Jrue, Thad and ET pull out wins. But Thad is logging a lot of minutes. If/when he starts to wear down the wheels are likely to fall off this team. The other bigs are horrible.

I agree, but hopefully his added upper body strength will help him in that regard.

Also, i am getting the feeling that the outcome of this season will be decided in January. They will be back from a the excruciating Ice Capades trip and at that point they should have a pretty good idea if Bynum will play this season. If he is able to return at some point they will do everything possible to make the playoffs including trading for a competent big (how i have no idea). If not, though, i wouldn't be surprised if the front office decided to trade away some of the players and pretty much make this team a lottery team regardless of how well Jrue/Turner/Thad play and Collins coaches. similar to what Golden State did last year in their pursuit to keep the draft pick (just not as obvious).

Does anyone else on this roster have any value at all outside Jrue, Thad and possibly Turner? I guess they could trade Richardson, that would probably be a downgrade, but enough to get them a meaningful lottery pick? Who's going to trade for Hawes, Kwame, Allen or Nick Young? And does losing any of those guys make the team worse at all?

They don't really need to get anything of significance. Just cleaning up the useless contracts of Hawes and Brown might be enough. Throw in Nick Young and you are onto something. You might be able to get some late first rounders + expiring contracts.

Not to mention that that kind of moves would addition by substraction as they would lead to keeping the draft pick and more playing time for Moultrie and Wayns.

Mike reply to Xsago on Nov 28 at 8:43

you seriously think a team would give them a 1st rounder for any of the players you just mentioned?

I'm only suggesting it's possible. Besides getting a 1st rounder is not the key here. Getting rid of Hawes and Kwame and their 10 million combined next year is. I think it's definitely possible.

Doubt it's possible unless you take back longer contracts or include a sweetener.

Young and Dorrel are expiring contracts, so maybe you can move them for something of moderate value, if you're willing to take back a longer contract in return. No idea why anyone would want Hawes or Kwame, unless you're really taking back trash in the deal.