Someone Please Step Up

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 9:44

Another night of iso-ball or one pass and shoot? I wish somebody had the numbers of how many times this happened against the Lakers the other night. I'm expecting the same tonight. Ball movement must be somewhere picking out it's coffin. Poor thing.

Don't know what you're talking about. Turner's floor vision is second-to-none. It was Jrue that was grinding the offense to a halt.

Oh, and also Collins treated Turner unfairly in the Lakers game. Sat him for five whole minutes, which shattered his confidence.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 18 at 10:08

heh, yeah I found it amusing that Turner had this awesome floor vision after an average game vs IND on Friday but when he flat out stunk vs LAL it was because Collins was jerking him around again with a benching. I really really wish I could understand the allure and what it stems from but I just can't decipher it.

And this pitting Jrue vs Turner is silly as silly can get. Objectivity will always reign supreme there, biases aside.

mymanjrue reply to eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 11:26

brian is mocking me bu hat's okay...I agree wuth our last remark eddies, and I dislike getting sucked into the player v. player frame...if there is one thing I want to see happen this season, it is for Turner and Holida to really develop chemi\stry in the backcourt and integrate with each other's games...each needs the other and we as fans and the team need them both. I envision them playing side y side for years to come. Anxious for Jrue to \come back.

Brian, the passive aressive churlishness is what it it is, and I realize that it sounds ludicrous to questionCollins sitting him at that point at the end of the first half when he played forty three minutes. Fact remains however that Turner looked like a different player in the second half...his confidence looked shot...this after a very effective first half, scoring in the first and passing in the second. I don't think it's asinine to raise te question of whether DC breaking from what have been his substitution patterns ...or aybe the tone of DC's halftie speech...played a role. For the record, I strongly believe that Collins is not the right coach for this tam..I think he has consistently hindered Jrue as well as Turner if in very different ways...

It's pretty obnoxious that instead of engaging with the actual points I make, you engage with caricatures of those points in order to ridicule me. Unlike you, I don't irrationally hate one of the three good players on the team. I like Turner and am prone to present him in the most sympathetic light, similar to you and Jrue...I've been a loyal reader of your blog for years and have often expressed my appreciation for the time ou devote to sharing your insights. In fact, I was preparing to do that when I encountered these posts, as I thought ou provided an excellent preview of the matchup. It's a shame that just because you look right now to have been pretty far off the mark in our offseason assessment of Turner, you have to be so snide and unpleasant. chill out. don't take yourself so serously. one love bribri

For brevity's sake, my typical response to theories that fly in the face of both facts and logic is mockery. Not sure I should really apologize for that, but if my alternative option is to read another six paragraphs on the matter, I'm sorry.

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Dec 18 at 11:49

do you Brian...my only beef with you is that you maintain a posture of objectivity regarding your devotion to Jrue...you are the number one offender-at least in your comments, not so much in your actual posted analysis which tends to be more balanced and always enjoyable and informative-as far as pitting player against player...seem to take delight in ET's failings as potential vindication for your in retrospect totally asinine calls to dup him for ten cents on the dollar over the summer

Your posture towards me has been to respond to one of my admittedly wordy posts by cherrypicking one weak point or inartful phrasing to make it appear that I am making ridiculous assertions rather than to engage with the legitimate points I raise or, God forbid, simply admit that you're a little less than objective about Turner and Holiday and that your scorched earth assault on Turner over the summer is looking like it was an over reaction.

You absolutely out do me in bball knowledge...I'm not interested in sniping...I hope that you aren't interested in creating an environment which i shostile to people who do not entirely share your biases and perspective on the team

It's the way my brain works. I take in diatribes and boil them down to the core meaning, for me. If I read 500 words and one statement is ludicrous, that statement takes over.

The basic premise of the offense running better when Turner is at the point has no basis in fact, that's essentially your thesis, and it's wrong. There's nothing that supports that theory.

Sure there is, you forget the strong "I watch the games" premise which trumps all statistics from you frigging nerds

mymanjrue reply to GoSixers on Dec 18 at 13:03

Another county heard from...

you are so consistent in your hyperactive prickishness that it's become something of a comfort to me

speeke reply to mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 18:12

Second

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Dec 18 at 13:01

Again, Brian, you misinterpret my assertions...I will take responsibility for being unclear in how I present them, for failing to edit out that one sentence that doesn't hold water or doesn't properly express my point of view

How could I possibly say that the offense runs better with Turner at point?Turner has played point in two games with mixed results...flashing some encouraging potential, but demonstrating his limitations.

but...my thesis in reality is that the offense runs\ best, or will run best, when Holiday AND Turner run it. I think their potential as complementary pieces in the backcourt is immense and each guy is strong in places where the other is weaker. I wanna see the chemistry building between them; I hope to watch potential realized over the years. I continue to lament the way Doug Collins uses them

try this...I understand that you approach this stuff rigorously. That's what has made me such a loyal reader...you don't run your mouth without being able to back it up

I do, ha. I'll admit it. Impressionistic, if you will. I don't know the game like you do but I love it like you do and I'm trying to figure it out. give me the benefit of the doubt from time to time...I'd much rather learn from you than fight with you...maybe then I can make my Sixers points more clearly and with firmer objective footing. cheers to you brian.

In what area is Turner strong where Jrue is weak?

Rebounding :)

Actually, who is better at getting to the FT line in terms of a percentage of shots taken?

Turner, but it's not a strength for Turner. He just sucks at it a little less.

And rebounding isn't a weakness of Jrue's.

I was kidding about the rebounding of course, but was curious about the FT thing cause I know jrue just isn't good at it

Just curious - who is the 'best' of the bunch at getting to the line on this team?

An interesting thing would be to look at guys like young and richardson and see if their rates are appreciably lower now that they are on the sixers

FTA/FGA (this year/last year)

Jrue: .22/.143
Turner: .239/.183
Thad: .243/.209

The new guys

Richardson: .129/.116
N. Young: .207/.202
Wright: .259/.186

and, Hawes: .153/.172.

And for good measure, Vucevic: .114/.116

Can't believe we let him get away.

Bynum last year: .425.

So while they still stink at getting to the line they are doing 'better' than last year, and dorrell wright probably should be driving more

He should stop passing up open threes, but at least he's getting to the line. That's not really a great rate, though.

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Dec 18 at 18:05

Three point shooting, obviously. ;)

this is subjective territory, full disclosure. does Synergy have a stat that tracks the percentage of assists that lead to a dunk or layup?I would love to know. Evan's got a flair for the home run pass. That's a nice complement to Jrue's methodical(to borrow your apt description) approach to carving up a defense...and befitting of a secondary playmaker who can be a little looser, take a few more risks. He loved to throw alleyoops to Dre last year...great at throwing long outlet passes to a leaking thad or whomever. That bouncepass to a cutting Wright the other night in the halfcourt. I see him as a more reactive player than Holiday-which, don't get me wrong, is a decidedly mixed blessing. ET freestyles, Jrue studies the script and memorizes his lines.

Complementary...

the other major area where I think Evan has a clear advantage FOR NOw is in that vague area of 'leadership'...i can see you rolling your eyes, but i'm not going to spout BS. Evan has had the experience at ohio state of being the unquestioned leader of a team competing at a fairly high level. Jrue's never been that guy, and it's apparent that he has room to grow as a team leader. Watching the playoffs in person this spring, I saw Jrue feeding off of Turner's energy. Discount it if you will, but this team badly needs competitive fire and Turner is the sole provider

Mayo should bring the sauce, having been held to 11 in first encounter. If Carter has one of his spry nights, look out. Time hasn't made Marion go away. Elton will club Sixers bigs and lane strays like Ali on Zora Foley and Cleveland Williams. Tall drink of water Chris Kamen, who resembles comic actor Chris Elliot, shot it well last time. Dahntay of Trenton can D it up in spurts. Coach Carlisle is fresher than Coach Collins.

Does Sixers' awareness that they really need one offset at a venue where they've lost six straight? Doubt it, with or without bug-eyed jitterbug Holiday, but St. Joe's beat #1 Da-paw and Mark Aguirre and Chaminade beat #1 Virginia and Ralph Sampson & Rick Carlisle, a team that had already downed Ewing's Georgetown and Guy Lewis's Phi Slama Jama fraternity, the most raucous one on campus. The wonders of roundball.

The Brand cheap shot is a pet peeve of yours, right?

No, the disconnect between his reputation and his play is.

Phony Duke halo that's turned over the odometer. One of the NBA's finest playoff losers. A Sixer ordinaire. A buffalo in knickers. Not watching him regularly, a breath of fresh air.

Funny. Your commentary on Spencer Hawes or other non-Jrues or non-Iggys isn't always rich in finesse and balance.

I actually wasn't mocking you, I don't think. Just remembered you saying you didn't like that about him.

And for evidence of my finessed opinions look no further than Nick Young. I absolutely hate everything about his game, yet recognize he's the best option on the second unit to create and make a shot.

As far as Hawes goes, well, if I never had to watch another second of him on the hardwood I'd be a very happy man.

No harm, no foul. Just hardwood heroes & villains.

mymanjrue reply to Dollar Bill on Dec 18 at 12:06

calls to mind the work of a different Brian...'been in this town so long that back in the city i'm taken for lost and gone'

Great tap-in, mymanjrue! Undervalued pop masterpiece by Brian & Van Dyke Parks.

buke reply to Brian on Dec 18 at 12:12

You're a bit too hard on Hawes. He'd be just fine on the team if he played 16 minutes a game and made 3 or 4 million. He does a couple of things pretty well. The problem is that he is noticeably subpar in other important characteristics AND there is no one else playing or logging enough minutes for the team at the moment who can make up for his critical shortcomings.

After observing Hawes for 2+ years I'm reminded of something a critic once said about George Harrison: he could always contribute a couple of fine songs to each Beatles album and, unfortunately, a similar number to his own albums. Hawes seems like the kind of guy who could average 8 points and 5 rebounds in 16-18 minutes a game or 10 points and 6 rebounds in 30 minutes a game.

Here comes the sun.

He can't defend big men of physicality or athleticism
He has very little post game
He thinks taking three pointers are a good idea
He has the vertical equivalent to a corpse on a trampoline
He has very little if any court vision to be a good passing big man

However, he is tall

And we're only talking about his basketball flaws

Stan reply to GoSixers on Dec 18 at 13:11

He's not a bad guy to have as the 3rd big man off the bench making 2-3 million a year.

The biggest cheap shot is the $233,466.44 collected by Brand for each of his 264 games (including 18 playoff games) in 4 Sixer seasons. Goin' towards a quarter million dollars per 31.4 minutes of court time! That's obscene. $61,635,141 paid out according to basketball-ref.com for that degenerated play. Think that grab affects arena pricing any? And you bunny hop to his defense. Doug too... "I love Elton... the ultimate professional." Holy Moses.

Are you including the money he's being paid by the Sixers this year to play for Dallas?

No. Betsy Ross red, white and blue service only.

You should throw in the money they're throwing down the drain right now. For the games he actually played, probably overpaid by about $25-$30M. His fair value wasn't $0.

Play with figures as you like. My statement is: deals like his degrade the league.

Eh. I think guaranteed contracts in general degrade the league. This is just one example of hundreds.

AAU degrades the league
ESPN degrades the league
Guaranteed contracts degrade the league
Bad ownership and bad GM's degrade the league

There are a LOT of things degrading the league, Elton Brands Contract is low on the list

I expect this same rant every time Bynum misses a game on his much bigger than Brands contract

Bynum's a non-entity. When/if he steps on the court I'll give him a watch.

Haven't cared about his contract. Am fairly sure it's absurd.

It will be absurd next year - if the sixers sign him for five years 125 mil - this contract he's on wasn't signed by the sixers so no big deal...but he is stealing money just like brand was when brand was hurt

The problem wasn't brands contract, the problem is a core NBA (and MLB) problem - guaranteed contracts. I have no idea HOW the NFL was able to work to non guaranteed contracts, but it's still my biggest pet peeve in the NBA

I've noticed that Turner isn't a good player when the opposing defender is his same size and plays press defense. Turner just doesn't have the athleticism to get by or the ability to hit a layup against the center when they set a pick for him. Turner is at his best when he grabs a rebound and pushes the ball up the court, when he has a smaller defender against him, or when he has the space to hit that mid-range jumper.

mymanjrue reply to Stan on Dec 18 at 11:34

You're correct. I would say that ET has benefited from the increased attention by opposing defenses to Jrue...his success benefits Jrue in turn...the big problem against LA in the second half against LA was that they started trapping and taking the ball out of Evan's hands, at which point the Sixers offense became heinous.

You know what would be great?If we saw some evidence tonight of creative effort on the part of the head coach to get the Sixers into well designed set plays that aim for high percentage looks and getting the ball moving. DC's offensive playbook is an embarassment

Good observations. I can't get over Evan's improved outside shooting. He's lookin' like Detroit-raised 70s college & Sixers teammates Eric Money and Coniel Norman, who still holds Univ. Of Arizona career avg scoring record, 23.9 ("Popcorn!!"). It'll last until teams gun for it, my venture-to-say. If he's got the room for the set and knee bend, he's ok... kinda like Henry and Mike Bibby.

mymanjrue reply to Dollar Bill on Dec 18 at 11:54

I think it's a win win..if teams start gameplanning to take away his outside shot, then space opens up for him to take it to therack...funny to hear certain opposing announcers on league pass feeds, having scouted the relevant percentages, begin to paint ET as a dangerous outside shooter when in last year's playoffs defenses packed the lane and dared him to shoot from outside ten feet

mymanjrue reply to mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 12:02

Evan's oncourt results seem so tied to what's happening between Evan's ears...anticipate inevitable regression in his threeballs..but the midrange jumper is not totally new, was his bread and butter in college. Demanding that opponents respect bis ability to knock down those shots is the key to his effectiveness...as well, as Stan notes, as matching up with smaller guards...if ET were a couple inches shorter it's hard to see him making it

See your point. Nothin' like the triple threat - shoot, drive, pass - position to shake defenses. If good shooting continues and he becomes a focal point of enemy defenses, of gang tackling, limited athleticism will take its toll.

mymanjrue reply to Dollar Bill on Dec 18 at 12:39

and that's why his fortunes are so inextricably linked with Jrue's...those two need each other...need to force opponents to pick their poison on the perimeter

A dead eyed three point shooter and hardworking defender would be optimal alongside those two on the outside...Jason Richardson would be perfect if time travel were an option

Dorell Wright looking like a quintessential bum to me...has the physical attributes and has the skills but is trying to make it in the NBA by looking out for number one...an understandable but ineffective approach. Those are the early returns at least

Jrue's success is not dependent on Evan Turner. It's dependent on his ability to learn to draw fouls and to handle double teams. Evan Turner won't help with either of those things since, well, he's worse when he's double teamed than Jrue, and his court vision isn't as good

mymanjrue reply to GoSixers on Dec 18 at 13:10

What does Evan's ability against double teams have to do with his ability to help Jrue deal with double teams?If Evan is ineffective defenses will swarm Jrue relentlessly. THe better Evan is, the more attention he draws from the defense, the more defensive pressure he takes off of Jrue. It's not complicated. A Radnorite could even grasp this concept so I can't imagine that you'd struggle

I grasp that concept that you believe Jrue Holliday needs Evan Turner for some reason - he doesn't - he could use talented basketball players on his team - but the only talented basketball player who would really help might not play a single game this year.

Evan Turner is mediocre, and will have good games against mediocre teams and players that dazzle people into thinking he's better than he is...

mymanjrue reply to GoSixers on Dec 18 at 13:42

You are doing your thing...looking to antagonize me...virtually all you do here is look to antagonize people...well, you also energetically agree with the proprietor at every opportunity in order to preserve your trolling privileges.

Look at you...ou come on here see Brian and I arguing, chime in obnoxiously there, then try to provoke me by making the absurd assertion that JH does not "need" quality play from his partner in the backcourt who doubles as one of the only talented players on the team.

I understand that you're a very unhappy person. Your defense mechanisms do you harm. That fact is demonstrated so transparently on this website that I am positive it reflects similar dynamics in other facets of life.

when you aren't being deliberately provocative or treating people like idiots or engaging in endless inane arguments for the sake of argument with constantly shifting opinions, you actually seem like a nice guy. We have some things in common I believe.

speaking for the group, I urge you to let out a little more of the nice guy and a little less of the amalgamated defense mechanism from hell.

do you have an insurance card or will this be selfpay?

Marcus reply to mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 19:26

Gosixers is an ass that is obvious to about 90% of the people on this blog & u nailed it right on the money he has the same formula its very tiresome but hey a ass is going to be a ass so don't stress it.

“You can’t throw the ball through the nose of a defender and have it come out his a–hole to a teammate.”
– Rick Carlisle

You can't argue with that logic. I don't how D.C can out-scheme him tonight

He learned that from Thomas Jefferson. (It gets hot in Charlottesville.)

Succinct, with an earthy finish.

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 13:25

Great preview, Brian...stuff like this is what makes depressedfan this basketball junkie's favored place for a fix...

I think this is a really important game, close to a must win headed into this brutal stretch of schedule. They need to show some heart, to compete cohesively...

A loss tonight leaves me profoundly discouraged and foreshadows an apocalypic road trip...a win keeps me hangin' on

Like to see some drive and kick with ET...always frustrates me tha he doesn't pass more off his drives...kick out to Nick Young in the corner early on try and get him going

Is it just me, or does it seem like Thad's been playing kinda like a three on offense the last couple games?Seems like he's been getting the ball out on the perimeter. I do NOT like this. Get Thad down low against the Mavs old and slow bigs

my company xmas party tonite is gonna be like sitting down to eat a shit sandwich. can anybody think of some good excuses so i can escape an watch the game?

If you have a significant other, blame it on him/her.

Anyone seen an update on Jrue's status for tonight? Last I heard was he's traveling w/ the team, game-time decision.

Jrue Holiday shot around on Tuesday, but his foot hurt more than it did on Monday and he's "unlikely" to play vs. the Mavericks.

Ugh. That sounds like another week, if not more, to me.

In the big man injury front - pau gasol is playing tonight for the lakers

Well, I'll be home late probably falling asleep watching this mess. Enjoy the game, folks. Go Sixers.

14 and 11, 13 and 13, 12 and 17.....those are the last 3 games for one Nikola Vucevic.

3.6 - that's the percentage 3 games makes up in one nba season

@eks_mavsnba: Derek Fisher (flu) is out vs. the 76ers. Elton Brand (groin) is a game-time decision.

Isn't Fisher currently starting for them? Who is next?

Collison but now fisher is saying he might play

no jrue tonight, maybe tomorrow

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:41

Has Collison regressed that much that Fisher starts over him?

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:42

Fisher takes Turner to the cup for two.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:43

Lazy as shit pass Evan, Dahntay on other end. shit

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:44

Thad's on Mayo here early, JRich on Marion.

this could be ugly

awesome start

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:45

Timeout already. Raring start guys....

Wow perfect start.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:47

NYoung 3 and fouled.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:48

ET with a given 3!

turner jumper from the post

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:49

ET backs down Fisher.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:50

ET block on Fisher. Fisher's hurt and down.

collison should blow by turner

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:54

Clean that mess up please. come on

Turner passes to Thad's behind

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:54

Thad doesn't box out, let's Marion get position for a putback.

ET bailout 3!

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:55

Another shitty turnover, got it back though. Dorell in for JRich.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:57

Kwame 3 secs. Get it together please!!

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 20:58

Dorell initiating. Thad w/ too long bad J that clanks.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:00

Dorell initiating again, ET one-on-one bad J, falls.

How is a 15 foot elbow jumper over a guy 5 inches shorter than you a bad shot?

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:01

Dorell in his new backup PG role for third possession in a row .... annnnnd a Dorell turnover for a Mavs breakaway. shit

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:05

Down goes Hawes! Down goes Hawes! Hawes to the bench with an apparent eye problem.

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:07

had a mouse under his eye

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:09

JRich rushed airball 3. geez

j-rich bailout

johnrosz on Dec 18 at 21:11

I love that Spencer tries to defend a guard spinning into the paint by swiping at the ball rather than standing tall and using his height to try and alter the shot

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:12

Oh boy, Wayns checks in the game. This ought to be good.

D3!

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:13

Dorell from deep, BRICK!!! O-board, Dorell again from deep, SWISH!!

nice j-rich

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:14

JRich o-board and putback.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:15

Lavoy. Over the hill, up by 2.

great play. for real. got the lead.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:18

Dorell 3!

D3!

Dorell for 3! I sure hope he finds his stroke. About damn time.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:19

ET back in, Spencer out.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:20

Dorell pump fake, give and go to Turner, Wright finishes the layup.

Malik just called it the "second oldest play in the game". What's the first then?

pick and roll

ahh ok

eddies' heady's reply to MCT on Dec 18 at 21:23

pick and roll?

so simple and so effective, yet it's the kind of play we rarely see.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:21

Lavoy w/ his 2nd foul.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:21

Kaman abuses Lavoy with a spin move. Dorell foul.

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 21:22

love the give and go from Turner and Wright, Wright layup thattaguy ev

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:22

Turner stuffed.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:24

Kwame, you suck. Dag man

Wow Kwame. If you can't make that. What are you doing on a basketball court.

johnrosz on Dec 18 at 21:24

how is that an offensive foul

eddies' heady's reply to johnrosz on Dec 18 at 21:26

he cleared space with the arm pushoff looked like to me

3 TO's on Turner now, fuck dude

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:27

Wayns w/ an extended run. Didn't think he would come back out after that timeout.

Thad blows the bunny.

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 21:28

what's up with thad?has been subpar lately, dreadful tonight

evan from the post

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:28

Kaman backs Kwame down with ease.

ET in the post.

Thad can't get anything to fall.

screw this we're in the penalty. Even more free throws. And Dallas seems to make all of them.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:29

Come on Thad, can't let him get that open or be that lazy after trying to come off the pick. geez

I think they scored on 7 consecutive possessions. The last one off the inbounds pass was just too easy.

Good find by Wayns to get Thad on the scoreboard.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:33

Wayns rain!! Can't believe he's getting this much burn.

thad from the post

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:36

Wayns still in, ET out.

Hawes def 3 sec.

johnrosz on Dec 18 at 21:36

Moultrie can't be any worse than Hawes right now

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:38

Thad w/ a 3rd chance putback.

Sixers have shot 9 free throws, Spencer Hawes is 6-6, go figure. heh

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:39

Wayns cheats too far off Collison, Collison 3.

Thad oboard.

The obligatory Hawes 3-sec call. Seriously he gives the opposing team a point a game.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:40

F me!!! Wayns has an open 3 and DC tells him to pull it out and it was around 34 secs on the clock. Great! Spencer turnover. Terrible not to go for a two for one there.

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 21:46

they've turned down a ton of 2 for 1's this year, not sure why really. I guess Doug doesn't think they can ever replicate the greatness of Lou Will launching from the top of the key

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:00

No fast break points in that half. Mavs shooting 54&. Lakers shot a high percentage too in that first half.

evan jumper

nice play for that thad jumper

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:03

Bad shot, Thad.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:04

Bad shot, NYOung.

j-rich

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:07

JRich steal, Thad lay-in.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:10

ET airball 3.

what does it take to get a goddamn whistle?

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:13

Wayns in with just over 4 left in the quarter. Serious burn for the kid tonight, shame Moultrie can't get the same.

kwame

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:17

Dahntay was not shooting there.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:17

Dorell rushed 3, clank.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:18

Wayns jacks a 3, bad shot, too early in clock.

Why so many 3s? Dorell then Wayns, 2 bad possessions.

evan corner 3

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:18

ET corner 3.

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 22:19

Ever since Turner came out redhot in the first seems like he is not seeing the ball that much...I am listening to McGiis dont really know

as I type ET 3rd 3!

sissy jumper

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:20

Wayns can't guard Dominique Jones, going to have to get him out of there.

d3!

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:22

D3!

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 22:22

yeah Dorell!

Dorell in transition! That's his favourite shot I think. Love it when I see him shoot that with confidence

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:22

Ugh, Mayo answers right back in JRich's eye.

Shit. Wayns with a terrible shot.

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 22:23

Maalik had a brief moment in the first half. That moment is over

johnrosz on Dec 18 at 22:23

does DC not believe in the 2 for 1 anymore

What the F Wayns he just trying to be Swaggy. But he got no swag whatever

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:24

Late fucking whistle there for Mayo, waited til the shot rolled off before blowing it. sheesh

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:26

Outscored them by 4 that quarter. Finally got out and ran a little bit. Mavs still shooting fifty percent. Only one turnover that quarter.

johnrosz on Dec 18 at 22:28

eat shit Spencer

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:28

He puts Wayns back out there to start the quarter. Mavs should go at him with Dominique Jones everytime in the post.

grab a rebound!

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:29

Jones takes Wayns. Doug has to get him out of there.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:30

Whew he got Wayns out...

nice work on the o-boards

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:31

Move the ball Evan...

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:32

annnndddd he dribbles the whole next possession and eventually turns it over. shit

Jesus Christ pass the ball Turner!

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:34

They were having pretty good ball movement prior but those last two possessions Turner wanted to go in hero-mode for some reason.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:36

JRich's shot has been way off lately.

dribble dribble dribble jumper

Turner what the fuck, how many times will you dribble out the shot clock??!!

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:37

Dammit!!! Evan dribbles another whole possession and fires up a fucking airball.

The offense went to shit in the fourth. Wow.

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 22:38

two games in a row turner starts hot and turns ugly late...really the wrong time for it tonight

good hustle by hawes and young. If we get a couple of stops and actually try to get to the hoop, and can knock one or two good looks, we can steal this. come on.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:42

That's your man Hawes.... go out and pick him up.

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 22:42

ugh. looks like ballgame

game over, they just threw in the fucking towell

evan has no legs

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 22:43

et no one is more thrilled with your suddenly effective three point shooting but let's not get crazy

evan 0 for his last seven...this quarter is making me sick to my stomach

d3!!!! come on now

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:45

D3! 2nd three in a row. One more push?

Gotta go to Dorell every possession now.

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 22:46

whoooaaa making it interesting. please oh please oh please

i ripped dorell earlier, thrilled to finally see the shooter i had heard tell of

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 22:48

so much for that

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:48

Dammit. Stop the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on that's just terrible from everybody

Evan Turner's fat ass to the bench. That dude is out of shape and no excuse for that, they had a day off before this game.

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 22:50

thad has been the biggest disappointment with jrue out. just when we needed him to step up, three subpar efforts

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:50

Hawes or Dorell for POTG. Going with Hawes just because he got to the line 8 times and had 4 o-boards.

They shat the bed in the 4th though. Completely shat it.

It was fun seeing Dorell Wright getting his shooting stroke back. And Hawes having a + game for once.

That is all.

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:52

Dorell 6th 3 of the game. Co POTG?

7th...he just took that POTG shit

eddies' heady's reply to MCT on Dec 18 at 22:55

heh yep

if nothing else, I hope Dorell getting hot will be good for the future when Jrue gets back. Otherwise, this game was straight vomit

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:55

D for 3 again!@!! He's on fire, all for naught though.

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 22:58

paul douglas' rotations were somewhat baffling tonight. he is the other big disappointment of this stretch. creativity, real coaching required and doug has coached like a chicken with his head cut off

TwoSense reply to mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 23:00

Too bad Collins can't play defense.

mymanjrue reply to TwoSense on Dec 18 at 23:04

too bad collins can't coach defense by making an adjustment so dallas couldn't get hawes switching onto oj mayo every time they needed a hoop down the stretch

eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 22:58

Aren't the Mavs shooting close to 60% this quarter?

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 22:59

once again though made fts are the difference in the game

eddies' heady's reply to mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 23:03

Eh, they were more than evened out by made 3's.

mymanjrue reply to eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 23:06

i don't get the connection?we can't get to the line whether we're hitting threes or not. seems like we spot the opposition five to ten points from the line on a nightly basis. tonight the effect was to cancel out an uncommonly hot night from distance.

eddies' heady's reply to mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 23:13

The connection is you said that "made fts" were the difference in the game. They only made 12 more than us, while we were +27 from three over them. I agree that free throws are one of our main woes, just don't think it was the difference in this particular game. We just don't have anyone that plays point for us, or for that matter backcourt, that is savvy enought to get there with any regularity. Their backcourt went there 19 times, our backcourt went there one time by way of super duper Nick Young.

mymanjrue reply to eddies' heady's on Dec 18 at 23:21

yeah i get what you're saying. i am just lamenting the fact that we are so bad at getting to the line. if we were better at that tonight, then our torrid distance shooting would have been enough for the win. wonder if dc's teams have always struggled in this area.obviously couldn't have been this bad, as jordan and grant hill both got to the linebut...it's definitely a drawback to his jumper centric system

but hey it keeps those turnover's down!lol

i believe that turnovers are the only major statistical category where we rank in the top half of the league as a team

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 23:00

stop the presses, richardson made a three!yet another guy who has come up profoundly small

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 23:03

definitely made sense to run maalik wayns out there for twenty one minutes out of nowhere tonight. savvy stuff from your veteran head coach, paul doaglas collins

was there not a possible adjustment that would have prevented hawes switching to mayo?dallas made that happen every time they needed a bucket in the fourth

Well, if we had a wing defender who could stay in front of him...

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 23:16

dc: 'i thought maalik did a great job tonight"..."feell so ad for evan right now' asking him to do too much blahblahlah 'that's why we put maalik out there and he did a great job'

whatever doug. why only four minutes for ivey?doesn't have maalik's speed but he also isn't retarded

johnrosz reply to mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 23:25

what do you want Doug to do? He has 2 guys that he can rely on every tonight to play at least halfway decent, everyone else you have to hope they have a good night. Without Jrue, without that big fella, they don't have a lot to work with.

johnrosz reply to johnrosz on Dec 18 at 23:25

*night

mymanjrue reply to johnrosz on Dec 18 at 23:27

well for ONE thing, he could take full advantage of et's strengths. his points per play are excellent in iso and in the post

mymanjrue reply to johnrosz on Dec 18 at 23:30

i dunno, pay no mind, i'mgrasping at straws...game really frustrated me...please let jrue play tomorrow

mymanjrue on Dec 18 at 23:38

wow, had no idea wayns had nine assists..that is impressive...i was listening on the radio so i will shut up now

Eh, predictable. Turner completely ran out of gas in the fourth, which is understandable. Wish he would've worked harder for post position when he had Collison on him, but can't complain about the production until the fourth.

Wright is the POTG. Tomorrow is another loss w/out Jrue.

MCT reply to Brian on Dec 19 at 0:27

dude is totally out of shape (not that this is new information or anything), they had a day off and he still couldn't handle 38 mins...shit, he was gassed by his 30th minute

eddies' heady's reply to MCT on Dec 19 at 0:37

Bad thing is, if he was in fact gassed, he shouldn't have taken over three crucial possessions in the fourth and tried to do it all by himself.

I do think he should be in better shape, but won't kill him for being gassed. Think Jrue ran into the same thing in the Chicago game. It's tough to do everything for 40 minutes night after night.

This one REALLY sucked.
It doesn't look very good right now, fellas.

Scooby dooby Jrue, where are you?

Brian, you asked for someone to step up...

SwaggyPG stepped up to score 30 against the Lakers and they got crushed. While Wright went crazy against a terrible Mavs team and they still lost. The team is lost because they lack talent.

We all agree that with Bynum, Jrue, ET and Thad they have the core talent to where other guys can step up in limited roles. Without two of them the other guys get gassed and exposed. Really not entertaining basketball out there, but what are you going to do. It's not anyone's fault. They are just not good enough to compete with the available players right now. And there is no reason to expect more from guys like Hawes, Allan, Wayns etc. These guys are journeymen.

Amazing how the Sixers find new ways to disapoint year in and year out. Getting to be pretty wearing after being so fired up after the Bynum trade. This is worse than the disappointment after the Brand signing.

Agree with most of this, but don't really think it's four guys, it's two. W/ Jrue and Bynum, they're legit, with just one of them, they can compete on a nightly basis. W/out both of them, they're helpless. Think Thad and Turner are just at the top of the rest of the flotsam on the roster.

+1 on this.

Jrue, Bynum, Turner and Thad are the true core of the team right now (some more important than others of course). The rest are shooters and backup big men. If they somehow get healthy and develop some chemistry, this will be a very good team. If not, they will continue dwelling around mediocrity.