Don't Dig Yourselves a Hole

As i watch these games, always feeling slightly depressed, I can't help but think about the future. I agree that we need to sign Bynum. I know it is a huge risk, but with the way Jrue is playing, we could have an all star center and an all star point, both very young. With those pieces set, what else do you do?

1. get in the lottery this year. We are short on talent, I would like one more roll of the dice this year. Land the #10 and get another rotational player. (leonard, faried, sanders) Those guys are out there, just need to find them.

2. Deal Turner-I've been a huge supporter since the day we drafted him, but he just can't stop anyone and he doesn't make anything look easy. Unless he morphs into a great three point shooter, can't imagine this, he will continue to be too inefficient to make sense long term. Question #1, what can we get for him, or will anyone take him?

3. get rid of Nick and Kwame. These guys do not play winning basketball.

What else?

I kind of doubt there's a market for Turner now. Kwame's here for 2 years. Nick Young, they can let walk after the season. Might be able to package him in a trade since he's an expiring, as well.

Doubt they make a meaningful move this year. Think it's just wait for Bynum.

csth reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 9:58

so you don't think there is any team that would take Turner?

Yeah, I'm sure there are teams that would take him. But none that would give anything of value in return for a guy who contributes what he does and costs what he does.

Tuck reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 10:52

You just have to make a deal with a GM who doesn't believe much in advanced stats. Turner's counting stats aren't so bad that they couldn't trade him for a descent rotational player with a friendly contract. Maybe someone who can play some D and hit an open 3 when needed. I would love a guy like that right now. That was suppose to be Dorell but he just doesn't bring it on a consistent basis.

Has Hammond been fired in MIL yet? He's probably the most likely sucker. They're light on the wing as well.

You could probably get somebody on a long contract that's seen as a mistake, not sure they're at that point on Ilyasova, yet. I'd pull the trigger on this.

Tuck reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 12:04

Not really a fan of Ilyasova or his contract. He would definitely help on the offensive end and is a solid rebounder but he's pretty poor defensively and like everyone else on the Sixers, he doesn't get to the line often enough.

Also, where would he get minutes with Thad already starting at PF? He's getting paid too much to play only 20-25 minutes off the bench.

It probably is better to hold onto Turner and see if he has more value as an expiring contract. My worry is that the Sixers will keep him, he'll struggle for the majority of next season and then play well to close out the year and the Sixers will give him a long-term deal.

Stan reply to Tuck on Jan 22 at 12:14

I would love that trade. Bynum and Ilyasova, with Lavoy, Thad and Dalembert coming off the bench is a pretty decent front court IMO.

I'd also try to trade Kwame to Miami. The only problem is that it leaves you with a hole at SG/SF and only a MLE to fill need

Stan reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 11:15

There's no sense in trading him. He holds some value next year as an expiring contract/player with potential for a team desperately trying to get under the cap.

Jason Richardson on the other hand would look really good in a Lakers jersey. He might be the player they need to rescue them out of their slump. Steve Blake and his contract that is going to expire a year earlier than Richardson's is just wasting on the bench :)

Isn't Blake hurt?

Stan reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 11:19

Looked it up. He is. What a steal for L.A

I'm with ya.

The great and powerful Speights is being traded again, for a salary dump.

The Grizzlies would send big man Marreese Speights, guard Wayne Ellington and guard Josh Selby to the Cavs for big man Jon Leuer. Cleveland would also receive a future first-round draft pick in the deal.

Ha! Please take Speights. We'll give you a first-rounder, too.

Hollinger might like Leuer. Decent numbers in limited minutes in MIL last season. Only played 91 minutes for the mighty Cavs this year.

Grizz shed 6 mil in salary according to the article - one of the new owners mandates - reduce extra salary...

He's still a gamer.

Would you take him over kwame and or spencer (salary counts)?

If he's making less than Hawes, for a shorter or equal period of time, yeah. They're both useless and feckless.

Exile on Kenny Payne Street on Jan 22 at 10:43

Dorell Wright is a horrible basketball player.

So glad they traded a first round pick for Arnett Moultrie.

These are the two most disappointing moves of the offseason. Even moreso than Hawes and Kwame.

There's a lot of competition for worst move of the summer, don't think Wright is in the top five. The Moultrie move was probably pointless.

Exile on Kenny Payne Street reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 10:49

didn't say worst, just most disappointing.

Eh, they gave up nothing. The only thing that frustrates me about Wright is that he doesn't pull the trigger enough on threes. Those pump fakes drive me crazy.

Kwame and Spencer are more disappointing than that - but you know - grass is always greener - moultrie is surely tearing the league up though

Exile on Kenny Payne Street reply to GoSixers on Jan 22 at 11:24

disappointing implies some level of expectation, and i had virtually none for hawes and kwame.

hawes is soft but he can at least occasionally hit an open shot or make a good pass and unlike sammy D he can actually catch the ball. he's doing the same as always. im disappointed the sixers re-signed him but not really disappointed in his play this year. again, low expectations.

kwame is a stiff and always has been. again, disappointed in the front office but not the player.

wright was supposed to be a sharpshooter who can D-up a little bit. he is at best inconsistent and at worst a huge negative on the court because he adds virtually nothing.

the moultrie move just made no sense and if he can't get on the court with these bigs ahead of him then he must really suck.

One thing about last night's game, in the two huddles they showed Collins was telling them the right things. In one, he said no one-pass then a 20-footer possessions. In the other, he was telling them to finish like men when they got in the paint. Unfortunately, the team didn't listen to either.

I expect they listened but most of them don't know how to finish like men, or boys, or girls in the paint

Rob_STC reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 11:41

I am not a big supporter of Spencer and Swaggy on a consistent basis but I thought Collins made a huge mistake with 5 plus minutes left by bringing Lavoy and Turner back. Ivey was playing really good D on Parker and unbelievably Spencer was playing the game of his life. Keep riding the hot hand and the threats and the offense good or bad has a nice flow through Spencer. I would have waited until about 2:30 left to make any move at all. He said he got him out of their to get some rest but unfortunately Lavoy hurt more then he helped.

If I'm not mistaken, and I often am, Spence came in really early in the third quarter after Lavoy gave up a bad offensive rebound. So he was on the floor for a long, long time.

Rob_STC reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 12:37

You are correct, Spencer was in there for about 6 minutes.He came in at about 11:32 left of the 4th period.

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 15:51

I noticed the same thing Brian. Again, the team just isn't listening to him...aka he has lost the team

Heh. Well, in Turner's case, I'll agree. He followed up the speech from Collins about 1 pass and a 20-footer by going out and jacking up a 20 footer with no passes. The layup stuff, I think that's just not the type of guy he has on his team. Either by style or by necessity they don't/can't finish strong.

I'd say the past two games don't exactly back up your theory about the team tuning him out.

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 17:53

Yeah, like I mentioned after the Houston game, DC always seems to manage to get the team to rally every time I'm about to totally write him off. not sure what Collins had to do with last night's effort, however...guys probably are pretty motivated on their own for national TV games against the class of the league, with an all time franchise great doing color commentary. Funny observation about Turner...maybe you can start recording every mised ET twenty footer as an FU COLLINS, like Iguodala's missed FT's last yr ;)

Zach Lowe makes his All Star case for Jrue...as a starter.

Tuck reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 12:09

Good article. I'm not sure Jrue is starter worthy and I actually think Irving has been better than Jrue and Rondo, but I think at the very least, Jrue makes it as a reserve.

Mike reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 12:12

saw that this morning. i really like Lowe's NBA coverage on there.

Matt reply to Mike on Jan 22 at 12:36

Lowe, Barnwell, and Abrams really keep that site going. Lowe has at least 3 great NBA columns per week.

Stan reply to Matt on Jan 22 at 17:44

Barnwell put out a decent article yesterday about Matt Ryan and Tom Brady's career in reverse:

Mike reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 12:14

i haven't seen too many Celtics games lately, but everyone always talks about what a great defender Rondo is. nice to see him debunking that myth.

Matt reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 12:39

I think you (or someone here) alluded to this a few weeks ago, but I hope Jrue doesn't let columns like that get into his head. He's a great player and a worthy all-star, but there's also a lot he needs to work on. I guess relative to other East guards he may be worthy, but without thinking I'd never consider Jrue an all-star starter. That was a lot of buts, but so be it.

That commentary more points out the flaws in considering what an all star is than Jrue's game...

Zach Lowe is one of my favorite writers out there. Always manages to keep very good balance between stats, scouting and his knowledge of the game.

It's really interesting that not only does he name Jrue Holiday as a starter but he also names Thad Young among the close omissions. That's a pretty heavy praise for a guy a lot of people are calling overpaid and a bench player.

Zach had to fudge to get 2 gategories where Rondo is better shooting percentage and assists. Jrue's TS% is much better then Rondo's. Who looks at regular shooting percentage anymore. I like Zach but just thought that odd. As for last night's games what is there to say but that is a microcosm of the team. They are not good enough or consistent enough to beat a team of the Spurs caliber. Really its a team built around one all-star level player and a really good speciality player in Thad Young who really doesn't have a true position. I can't bring myself to believe in Bynum being a building block going forward until he proves his health on the court.

Well, I don't think he'll really be able to prove his health until next year. Coming back and playing 30-35 games doesn't really prove anything.

There are always going to be 2 ways to look at this. Option one is the way Barkley is looking at it. $100M is a lot of money to pay a guy with balky knees and a checkered injury history. Option two is to say $100M isn't too steep of a price for a shot at legitimacy. The alternative is to pocket the money and put a shit product on the floor for years in the hope you can someday draft someone as good as Bynum (and hope you don't waste Jrue's prime in the process).

If bynum continues to be injury prone, you'll also be putting a horrible product on the floor, but have no possible way to get better cause you threw away 100 million dollars on an injury prone immature kid who still isn't 100% committed to basketball as his career.

It's on Bynum to prove he's worth the risk - and honestly - his behavior and public comments haven't exactly made me feel awesomely confident

Stan reply to GoSixers on Jan 22 at 13:05

I can only think of one free agent in the past 5 years that was signed away from another team who was better than Bynum. Screw mediocrity, salary cap is meaningless if you're going to use it on a Josh Smith or a Nikola Pecovic and you don't have a top 5 NBA player on your roster. Unless it's confirmed that Bynum has a career ending injury, I see no point in not re-signing him.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Lottery luck and stupid trades - that's how teams build title contenders in the NBA - not with weak kneed unmotivated big men with me first issues

Big men like Bynum are a dying breed in the NBA and look how much better the lakers are this year now that they got dwight

History indicates that Bynum is going to get injured, again and again, and that his rehab will take as long as it possibly can - please - sign that guy to a long term contract

Well, the Lakers did win two titles w/ Bynum, so I'd say there's a precedent. I'd argue they've already gotten their trade and draft luck to Bynum and Jrue. Flushing half of that down the tubes in the hope that lightening strikes thrice doesn't seem like a palatable move, to me. If it doesn't work, you'll be bad enough to get into the lottery and if a trade opportunity presents itself, you can either try to dump Bynum in the trade, or use the stretch provision on him to clear some cap space if he isn't playing at all.

would that be his history of playing all 66 games last season?

He played 60. Think he missed 6 due to suspension.

Stan reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 13:37

I think it was 4. Was injured during his rookie season or did he have DNPs because he wasn't that good?

Ah the small sample size argument - that's great - how about you look PAST last season?

Stan reply to GoSixers on Jan 22 at 13:35

I disagree. Bynum if healthy is a top 2 center and Jrue has the potential to be a top 5 PG. Having those guys as the foundation of your team puts you in a position to have a legitimate shot at challenging for a championship. The Sixers don't have the assets to trade for a big name and using the $100 million on other free agents takes them out of the possibility to get a good lottery pick. Roll the dice and sign Bynum

And did I dispute any of that - show me where I did

The key phrase is 'when healthy' - you're ready to give him 100 mil on the hope that he stays healthy for the next five years where his history (come on people - look beyond last season or your argument carries no weight) is that he doesn't stay healthy - plus the history of big men with chronic knee issues in the NBA isn't exactly 'positive' forecasting as he gets older.

It seems everyone wants to give him 100 mil based on the hope he'll be healthy for the length of the contract - whereas history indicates that he will be injured and his come backs delayed by a lack of dedication.

Oh yeah - he also demands the team be about him even one he's playing with one of the best players of all time (publicly at least) - that is just bad juju

He had a point when he was playing with Kobe, but that's not really the issue. He'll be the focal point here.

And this wouldn't be a question if my barometer for $100M being worth it was 5 fully healthy years. My barometer is 3 legit playoff runs in the five years. If he's healthy enough to get them home court, then be on the floor throughout the playoffs 3 times in the next five years, then it's worth it. Hell, it might be worth it if he can only do that 2 times in five years. If he never does it, then it's a bust, you take the lottery picks, lick your wounds and try again.

$100M for 3 legit playoff runs. Or save the $100M and have about a 1% chance of having 1 meaningful playoff run before Jrue signs his next contract. That's the math I'm looking at, and the gamble I'd be willing to take. Teams have thrown away a lot more money on players who didn't give them those type of odds.

tk76 reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 14:07

Yeah, I would take 3 years where they get

Stan reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 14:08

ditto

tk76 reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 14:10

Yeah, I would take 3 years where they get a 6th seed with 40 games of Bynum but enterplayoffs at full strength. That could be enough to make some noise if Jrue continues his ascension and they add one more quality player.

tk76 reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 14:10

tk76 reply to tk76 on Jan 22 at 14:18

But I guess that is what Houston tried with Yao, which did not go well.

Ahh. Yao. He's a good answer to the question I posed just below. Feet or knees, which is more crucial?

buke reply to Stan on Jan 22 at 18:30

Actually you might be able to get Pecovic AND Josh Smith for the size of Bynum's contract. Pecovic would be a major addition to this team and this team needs more than a center anyway.

I'm trying to think of who the worst-case comparison is for Bynum in terms of injury history. I don't think Oden's really a good parallel, since he only played one partial season. Maybe Brad Daugherty? Can anyone else think of a dominant center whose career ended when he was in his mid-twenties after being dominant early on?

Hmm, maybe not the same but Yao?

Houston was always very good during his tenure, but never managed to get over the top. But i think T-Macs frequent injuries had a lot to do with it too not just Yaos. Morey never got credit for that team, but they were pretty good when healthy. Too bad his "statistical" approach didn't account for injuries.

He didn't build that team. This was the roster he inherited. His two big moves his first year on the job were signing Artest for the full MLE and trading for Scola. He didn't have anything to do w/ McGrady, Yao or Battier.

Stan reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 14:32

Those signing did help them to get to game 7 of the WCF.

Oh, ok my bad, i thought he was there longer. Thanks for pointing that out.

raro reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 14:38

I thought he made the Battier-Gay trade as well?

Stan reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 14:39

Can you name of any NBA centers who have missed as much time as Bynum has early in their careers and then went on to have successful healthy careers?

Moses played 431 in his first 7 years, which is about 25 more than Bynum (I counted last year as 75 for Bynum, since it was a shortened season).

Bill Walton played 311. Camby played 352.

Bynum also played another 74 playoff games. I don't think he's missed a playoff game, has he?

Stan reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 15:00

He missed the entire 2008 playoffs, the year L.A lost to Boston in the Finals.

There you go. Three finals appearances. Two titles when he plays, one loss when he doesn't :)

Also, someone should put an asterisk on Boston's one title.

Stan reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 15:22

In Boston's defense, they did lose games 6 and 7 of the 2010 finals once Perkins was injured.

There's no defending Boston.

I think he has. 2007-2008 season.

tk76 reply to Stan on Jan 22 at 16:30

Amare recovered well and did not lose all of his quickness, but that required microfracture surgery (which I expect is where Bynum is heading if he has another setback.)

Camby was pretty miraculous in his second half of his career. Tyson Chandler also overcame major injury issues early in his career.

Stan reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 14:48

Todd MacCulloch :(

Bogut vs. Bynum Through 7th year of their careers.

Running for the train now. As long as NJ Transit doesn't eff me, I'll be here for the game thread.

Ha. Found out that LA's pick this year goes to Phoenix and it's not lottery protected.

Random question:

If the Sixers traded for calderon, would there be enough minutes for him on the floor? Figure they run Jrue as "scorer" for 15 minutes a game (where Calderon could still effectively be your SG on offense but PG on defense.)

Also, I know this would kill Brian, but maybe:

Calderon + Bargs + 20M
for
ET + Spencer + N.Young + ? (18M)

This assumes Bynum is back. Not quite sure how that works short term? maybe:

start:
Jrue(37)/Calderon(25)/Wright(20)/Young(35)/Bynum(30)
rotate in:
Barges(25)JRich(20),Lavoy(15)

This would require Thad to give you some minutes at SF (next to Bargs at PF, who effectively be you SF on offense anyways.)

So short term you are surrounding Bynum with tremendous shooters but weakening a poiurous defense even further. Long term you are going with Jrue/Bynum/Thad/Bargs for 50M as your core 4 players. You would desperately need to add at least one wing of quality.

For some reason I think that core would reallyu work. Bynums size and Thads energy would really mask Bargs weaknesses and allow him to score a ton of 3's. I have more confidence he could get you 20ppg in that setting then asking someone like Illyasova to suddenly step into a high volume scorer role. I think it would take a ton of stress off of both Jrue and Bynum, knowing there is a willing and able scorer who can hit from deep while drawing a big from the lane. Sort of what Collins thinks Hawes should be doing, but with less passing (good) and actaul 3's instead of long 2's.

tk76 reply to tk76 on Jan 22 at 18:47

Offensively I think you could pencil in 75 points every night from Jrue/Bynum/Bargs/Thad. After years of weak ofenses, it would be great to know you can score 100 pts every night whhile having plus defenders at 3 positions (C, PG and Thad.)

Defensively, you would need to be "creative" and Thad would need to guard some 3's. But it would be the type of non-traditional line-up that could really give teams tough match-ups. The best post post defender would be on Bynum- and still need help. That leaves Thad and Bargs to be covered by the opponents lesser bigs, one of which would be sitting out at the 3 pt line.

Stan reply to tk76 on Jan 22 at 19:00

ugh. I can't even entertain a trade that involved bringing in Bargs. He has $32 million and 3 years left on his deal. I see no value in him even as a shooter, and I really think he would provide less for this team than Wright. I would love to have Calderon on this team, but not at the expense of bringing in Bargs.

jrich out again for tonight's game

ugh ivey is starting next to jrue

Ha! Remember when he started the mullet one game? Was that last year?

started 1 last year, 17 in 10-11

Stan reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 19:25

I'd rather have Ivey guard Monte than have Wright or Turner guard him.

My theory on that move was the Nocioni owned Speights in practice while they played on the same team, and Collins put him in at PF when Speights was starting for Memphis thinking he could get the same results.

Alrighty. Made it home in time. Rick Kamla is all over Larry Sanders' jock.

Now they have Jrue making excuses for Turner on NBATV.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 20:08

heh, He looked to be at a loss for words sort of.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:10

We've played MIL only once this season right? And it was one of our worst games at the time along with the Detroit debacle. Is that correct?

Alright, don't let Sanders have a career scoring night on like 11/12 shooting.

Aaand we're off...Lavoy loses the tip.

MIL announcers for me.

They post up LMAM on Turner on the first play. Heh.

Go get the ball, Turner. You lazy fucker.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:12

Just terrible Lavoy.... ugh

ivey 3!

Jrue drive and kick to Ivey for three. Good.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:13

Just a terrible shot Jrue.

Jrue to Ivey for 3!

Jrue fights for the o-board, dishes to Thad for a hook.

bad shot evan

Terrible.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:14

Come on Turner, pass it man

they already look tired and we're 4 mins in to the game

Man, Thad has missed four layups. Fuck, man.

Jrue, not Thad. Jrue has missed four layups.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:15

Hawes in already, if they keep running like this Jrue, Thad, and ET will be gassed by halftime.

Think Turner's initiating early to give Jrue a rest.

Turnover Jrue. Ugh.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 20:17

Yeah, Ivey did one possession too.

Thad to the line. Nice setup by Jrue. He's gotten into the paint about 8 times already.

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:17

jrue out of control exploding through the lane, throws it away. seemed like he just hit the opening without thinking it through, should have gone hard to the basket tbere and made some highlight reels

quick on that jrue

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:18

Either finish that Thad with authority, or draw some damn contact man.

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:18

nice look jrue to thad in transition, he can't finish it

like the uptempo pace thus far even if the results haven't all been there

Good time for a TO. Don't let this get out of hand quickly.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:20

They keep this up, I shudder to think how they're gonna look energy-wise in the 4th quarter.

Nick Young in for half of the Sixers scoring.

He jumped into that.

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:22

dont like the body language. there's a shocker

Awesome, Turner facing the wrong hoop initiating the offense.

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 20:24

gotta love backing it down the floor

I love the "Alright, put Nick Young in there. Maybe he can hit some bad shots." Substitution.

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 20:26

It capture the mood well

evan

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:25

TURNER OH YES

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:26

ET 3!

Turner three. Nice.

evan 3

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:27

ET IS BACK BABY

jrue and one!

how is that not a continuation? He didn't dribble again.

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 20:28

what there was no continuation?absurd

The last time Thad hit both freebies on a two-shot foul was January 2nd.

jrue to hawes

Jrue to Hawes for the jam.

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:31

oof thought jrue came back down on his feet there

malik thought so too...malik thinks jrue is getting friendly whistles tonight and come to think of it hes right...all star conversation has likely aided him

He hasn't gotten to the line yet. And he should've had an and-one there. Not friendly in my book.

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 22:20

youre right. malik though the block on ilyasova shouldve been a charge. i think it could have gone either way but was probably called correctly

wright at the 4, keep driving jrue

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:31

YEAH jrue

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:32

terrible poss. from turner

Hawes is such a fucking bitch.

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:33

JRUE GETS ANOTHER WHISTLE

Jrue to the line. Jrue isolating on Beno is comical.

They're free.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:34

Uneventful quarter. Rather shitty.

PHI 18, MIL 28 after one.

Only being down 10 after the first quarter feels like an accomplishment.

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:35

not a good first. i thought jrue picked it up towards the end. need to not go down fifteen with him out of the game, hopefully turner's couple of made shots will help him engage, ha that sounds absurd

mymanjrue reply to mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:36

"I Wasn't Even Trying For Self-Parody:" The mymanjrue Story

Charlie H on Jan 22 at 20:36

Hideous quarter. Many blown layups.

evan from the post

Turner with his back to the hoop for 12 seconds.

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:37

Turner!A second straight good game, is it possible?

Turner should really attack here. The Bucks are either going to put Beno, Ellis or Dunleavy on him. So rare he has a matchup against all three potential defenders.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:39

ET airball over Beno. heh

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:39

turner ariball

Turner airball over Beno. No idea what Hawes did w/ that o-board.

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 20:40

ready for the wilkins experiment to end i think

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:41

Fuck you, Hawes.

Nice shot, Hawes.

Turner head down in transition, converts.

Keep eating into this lead, hopefully get Jrue rest until the 6 or 5-minute mark so he doesn't carry a ton of minutes into the second half.

lavoy

Jrue back at 7:20.

young 3 from jrue

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:46

Jrue kick to Nick for 3!

Jrue drive and kick to NY for 3.

nick young!!!!!!

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:47

Holy MOLY!!!! damn........................

HA! Nick Young with the facial.

holy shit Swaggy with the facial!

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:48

lol man that was ferocious!

swaggy's awesome.

ugh

Smart play.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:51

Geebus Thad or Jrue. Probably Thad w/ the bad pass inbounds. ugh

Hey now!

ny to lavoy

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:53

Turner .... BRICK!

Turner building a house.

Turner playing hero ball, bad shot, easy 2 for the Bucks on the other end.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:53

Turner .... CLANK! wide open

That was a double dribble by Ellis.

Thad easy one from Jrue.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:55

Bad quick shot from Nick.

Hey now!

sissy tip in

Hawes tips in Jrue's miss. Get some stops, huh?

Grab the fucking ball, Hawes.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:00

Terrible offensive possession there.

Jesus, Hawes. This isn't volleyball.

Turner, stop dribbling the air out of the ball w/ him on you.

evan 3, end this strong

Jrue w/ the block. Turner w/ the three in late transition. Nice. STOPS.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:00

ET 3! Was wondering why he didn't outlet it to Jrue after Jrue blocked that attempt and leaked out.

Hey Turner threw the pass ahead after grabbing a board! And hit another triple

NY 3 from jrue

Jrue splits the double, hits N Young for the corner three.

Grab a fucking rebound you scrubs.

Jrue to Thad. Keep it under 10, please.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:03

Bucks shooting 53%. Enough said.

PHI 47, MIL 55 at the half.

Well, they won the second quarter. If Jrue somehow hits a shot or two in the second half, they've got this :)

Take Jrue out of the game. He is KILLING the Sixers

Spencer starts the second half

jrue

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:21

Like the idea Jrue, bad pass though.

Terrible pass, Jrue.

Turner can't handle his counterpart this quarter

Turner putting on a clinic of shitty basketball here to start the third. Mbah A Moute is isolating on him every time down the floor and owning him. That's just hilarious.

Terrible fucking call.

Turner on a mission to negate his decent first half

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:24

And people actually believed at one time that the guy was a plus defender. heh

Hey, there are only maybe one or two guys in the league who can let Mbah a Moute score. Turner is elite.

just like that they are up 14

Ivey isolation. Sweet play.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:26

I cringe everytime Thad pulls up for a jumper. Wish he'd stop it.

tonight especially, he can't buy one tonight

Turner with another 3!

Really good D there. Now get a hoop.

evan 3

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:27

ET 3!

Turner corner three. Down to 9. Let's go.

Excellent shot, Hawes. Fucking smart.

ivey 3

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:28

Good find by Turner, Ivey for 3.

Ivey three after an abortion of a turnover by Jrue.

Back to money in the back, Luc posting up Turner. Luc to the line.

Jrue with 3 TOs this quarter

wilkins at the 4?

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2012-13 76ers!!

And he misses both, and they can't get the fucking D-board. Awesome.

Jrue picks up assist #10. Hawes w/ the sissy finish.

Never pas to a rolling Hawes. You know it isn't going to end well. Jennings three on the other end.

Turner leaves Jennings wide open for a 3, that's his signature defensive move now

wow Jrue with another TO

Think Jrue needs to sit.

nice pass evan

ivey back to 9

Yeah, they said 6 on the broadcast. Didn't think that was right. Shave a couple more off heading into the fourth, then hope Jrue comes out of his coma or something.

Wilkins and Ivey are hustling, at least. It's back to 6? Wow.

Jrue is stalking a quad double. Pretty sure he'll get the boards, assists and turnovers if he plays the entire fourth, doubt he'll get the points, though.

Turner to the line.

Wilkins trying to imitate his uncle! Fail

I wasn't watching, but I assume he split the pair.

man it would be great if someone hit two FTs in a row

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:41

Spencer, you suck!!!

Nice play, Spence.

PHI 71, MIL 83 after three.

Pretty much game.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:42

Wonder what was up w/ Lavoy that quarter?

Apathy is my guess. Either that, or they really need Hawes out there flailing around.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:43

Aw, come on B, you know they're gonna throw the tease out there for a bit here in the 4th.

I'm not falling for it unless it's under 7 by the 6-minute mark.

ugh thad

Jrue back in with Beno on him.

evan 3

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:46

ET camping out, 3!

Turner's fourth three, from Jrue.

Turner with another 3

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:47

ET probe, and deposit.

Turner has a big mismatch until Luc gets back in. Get a hoop here and I'm sold, Sixers.

come on Jrue you're better than this

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:48

Was that turn on Jrue?

TOV #7.

lavoy block jrue layup

Think Jrue should be guarding Monta and they should be hiding Nick Young on Beno right now.

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 21:49

just got back from dinner, et is ballin. where have you gond jrue holiday?

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:50

Turner with 2 good games in a row on national TV, hope like hell GM's are watching.

I was thinking the same thing, have a feeling we won't make any moves until Bynum plays some though

nice pass nick, come on!

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:52

Good pass Nick. Yep, the tease is on!!!! down to 5

Could be worse. Could've lost to Cleveland and dropped four in a row.

Five-point game. Pretty pass by Nick Young there.

Hawes, you blow.

sissy jumper

Jennings got the best of Jrue for the second time head to head, I still think Jrue deserves an All Star spot ahead of him but I worry this will sway the coaches

Eh. Give it to Jennings. Let Jrue get some rest and practice time w/ Bynum.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 21:57

agree, he needs to stay hungry regardless of AB coming back or not

MCT reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 21:57

I doubt Bynum is actually practicing full time by then, and Jrue would probably play like 4 mins in the game anyway. I still hope he makes it

Stuart reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 22:02

For what it's worth, the CBA mandates 3 days off of rest during All-Star weekend (Article XXI, section 4)

I guess that would be Friday-Saturday-Sunday, and the next game isn't until Wednesday anyway, so at most I'd bet that Jrue would miss 1 practice if he got selected.

Jrue to the useless sack of shit.

4-point game.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:55

Heh, here it comes!!!! down to 4, suck you right back in i'm tellin you

Yep. I'm not really excited yet, though. Still feels like they're down 15.

The Red Sea parts. Awesome.

sissy tip in

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:59

Wonderboy Follow!!!

hawes again, get a stop

An occasional stop would help.

Sissy on the o-glass again.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:59

Wonderboy follow x2!

It would take so little to win this game. Like, two minutes of balls-to-the-wall effort and a couple shots going down.

fucking turnover on ET at an awful time

Ersan, they're free.

hawes and turner playing well again

If they could just find a sucker to take both of them, their combined salaries could really get you something good.

Tray reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 22:09

Spencer Hawes back to Sacramento for the most dominant young big man in the league, straight up.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 22:05

Good ball protection, Turner.

what the fuck with these turnovers??!!

Tired. They're all dead.

Heh. Two stops, two turns. Hilarious.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 22:08

I think the tease is over now.

Turner doing his damnedest to finish this game w/ an inefficient line.

ugh jrue

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 22:10

What the FUCK was that mess Jrue? good gracious!

TOV #8!

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 22:12

jrues eighth turn was particularly gruesome

turner marring his line. has been an evan-spencer midrange lovefest

Turner is one missed shot away from shit efficiency...with 4 made threes.

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 22:17

i know it is kind of incredible

Tray reply to mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 22:15

Did you know that Hawes is the best shooter from midrange on the team? Jrue's the second worst.

mymanjrue reply to Tray on Jan 22 at 22:18

i did not!where does turner rank

Tray reply to mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 22:22

He's in a four-way tie for third best, or third worst, depending on how you look at it. It goes Hawes at 43%, Ivey at 38%, Turner, Wright, Lavoy and Richardson at 35%, then Jrue (who takes a ton of these shots) and Thad at 32%, and Young at 26%, which is awesome.

mymanjrue reply to Tray on Jan 22 at 22:25

hahahaha wow nick young twenty six percent from midrange, fabulous. confirms my feelings about thad's faux elton brand elbow jumpers and such. thanks

They sort of ran a play there.

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 22:13

nine total fts for the sixers

and we allow a tip-in off of the missed FT

Just FYI, Ilyasova was less expensive than Hawes + Kwame.

Stan reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 22:23

MIL had Bird Rights

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 22:14

jrue...youre starting to get whistles...drive to the basket strong

Turner extending the game so he can get that 20th shot up.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 22:15

So now we get to sit and wait for a few days until the Knicks spank that ass again?

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 22:15

suddenly they can draw fouls

Shit, Dunleavy ruined everything w/ the stupid foul. That shot had brick written all over it.

PHI 102, MIL 110 Finale.

Bleh. Pussy Hawes is POTG.

Maybe our pythagorean record is a lot worse than our actual record because when we're losing games with 10 seconds left we pointlessly foul and run up the opponent's score.

Nah, it's because we suck.

Tray reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 22:23

It's kind of a shame that Bynum's coming back; if you go by scoring margin we have a good shot at the 5th pick.

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 22:23

turner and thad for josh smith!

mymanjrue reply to mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 22:27

ugh no i can't even talk myself into lusting unrealistically after josh smith

Why would you do that. Smith and Young are very similar players and Smith will ask for far more money.

mymanjrue reply to Xsago on Jan 23 at 17:15

yeah i know, i was just grasping at straws. wouldnt do that deal, certainly not with smith looking for twenty million a year on his next contract

mymanjrue on Jan 22 at 22:31

wonder if jrue was pressing v jennings. this game has to hurt his all star chances, you would think. coming against another potential candidate so soon before ballots are due

Pretty sure ballots are in already.

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Jan 23 at 17:16

thought coaches ballots were due tonight, could be wrong

The Sixers are really bad. I did not buy into their early flukey 10-6 start, but I also did not think they were as bad as they clearly are. Their last win (Raps) sort of sums it up. Career games by their 2 best players (Jrue/Thad) and they barely beat a lottery team in OT.

I hope they find some taker for Hawes and maybe ET in the next few weeks.

Hawes shoots 10-16 for 21 and 12 boards (-7) and he was a worthless sack of shit last night. Turner was 8-19 for 23 and 7 assists with 2 TOs (-7) and he's a worthless sack of shit last night.

Holiday shoots 25% from the field and commits 8 TOs (-12) and we're feeling sorry for the poor fella and hope he gets a good night of rest!

Reading the game threads is like watching FOX news, where fair and balanced goes to die.

How about, 'the whole team sucks'? How about, 'Jrue is a good bargain but that doesn't mean the sun rises and sets on him'?

Actually, I think the main gist of the commentary is that Hawes and Turner are both worthless pieces of shit in general, and Jrue was shitty last night, which was covered in detail in the game thread.

And as far as the team on the floor goes, the sun kind of does rise and set on Jrue. Jrue and Thad. Everyone else is meaningless and hopefully won't be on the team two years from now.

buke reply to Hobbes on Jan 23 at 10:24

Well said.

tk76 reply to Hobbes on Jan 23 at 13:43

Trade high...

Hey Brian. Love your stuff. I'm a long time reader. Speaking of Turner, I wrote a little post about him over here.

Maybe we should trade Bynum back to LA for Howard.

I've thought about it more than once. Not sure what the Lakers think about it, but i doubt Howard would resign in Philly which is why the Sixers opted for Bynum in the first place.

Tom Moore on Jan 23 at 16:05

This has to be the first time this has happened. 4 All Star starters are on sub-.500 teams. And it's a pair of teammates from each conference. It also wouldn't shock me if the Celtics got a third guy in.

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Jan 23 at 18:17

three celtics would be a travesty

Tom Moore reply to mymanjrue on Jan 23 at 20:19

Think there's a good chance three Celts make it. Declining Pierce doesn't deserve it with so many qualify F/C in East.

Tom Moore on Jan 23 at 20:20

Sixers poll: When will Bynum play his first game this season?

To vote, go halfway down the right side.