mymanjrue on Feb 9 at 16:09

expecting a monster game from et tonight

mymanjrue on Feb 9 at 16:17

collins sounds terrible

And what about the coach?

When Doug Collins was signed to take over the Sixers in May 2010, he talked of building a strong foundation for the franchise, of creating a winning attitude, and said that championships were not right around the corner. After two seasons of starting that and creating a long-lost buzz by getting to the seventh game of the Eastern Conference semifinals last season, the team appeared to turn a major corner last summer by acquiring Bynum. Instead, Collins has had to deal with a slew of new faces, a barrage of injuries and, of course, no Bynum. The year that was supposed to be somewhat of a reward for his work has become, if not a nightmare, at least a series of bad dreams.

"It's been one of the tougher jobs I've had, with all the new faces, trying to piece it all together, and then the injury to Andrew all season long," Collins said. "We've had some key people missing, but that's my job as a coach. I hope I've done the best job I can do, that's all I've ever tried to do. I wish we were better than 21-27, that's for sure. But I try my best. That's what I always do. When I played for the Sixers, I gave them my body, and now that I'm coaching them I've given them my heart and soul. So I don't think I can give them anything else.

"It's been draining. Draining because your mind won't shut off. You find yourself in the middle of the night trying to have that peaceful pillow where you're not thinking, 'Well, if they come in with this guy, do I go with him; if he's not going well, can I get this guy into the game? When can I get Jrue into the game, and who can I get to play point guard with the second unit? Are we

going to make any shots?'

"My mind doesn't shut off. But that's what coaches do."

And Collins does it with as much passion as any of them. His actions on the sideline during a game make it easy to read what he is thinking. He lives and dies with every possession, each quarter, every game. He knows players can't and don't do that, for it is their job to move on to the next day. But each loss takes a piece of him, each win is a joyous triumph.

He signed an extension before this season, one that can keep him through next season. He probably craves that familiar, comfy TV analyst's chair at times, and relishes the high that teaching basketball gives him at other times. Will one override the other at the end of this season?

He will be 62 when next season begins, but has the energy of people half his age. His competitive nature can't be questioned, and he is praised as a basketball genius around the NBA by players, coaches and executives. But have this season's frustrations left him questioning a return next season?

Perhaps, but Collins won't go there, as he is tunnel-visioned on this season, on getting this ever-thinning group into the playoffs, where young players such as Holiday, Young and Turner can gain valuable experience.

"I'm in a great spot," Collins said. "Do I take it hard? Yes, I do. This franchise is more than a basketball game for me. I came here to get them back to the elite. This year has been hard, because what we got [Bynum] isn't here. These guys see me every day come in here with energy and ready to get better. This franchise, when I came back, I wanted it to be better when I left than when I got here.

"I don't know if you can plan to go through what we've gone through this year. It's been pretty tough. It's been the toughest year I've ever had as a coach. The reason is because there is great expectations. I've gone to places where the roster was thin but there weren't a lot of expectations. Going into this season, after finishing the way we did [last season] and making the big trade, there were a lot of expectations of being a top-four team and a lot of exciting things happening.

"But no Andrew and now

we've lost J-Rich. Thad's now out, we've had Jrue out, we've had Swaggy [Nick Young] out, and we've got all these new faces. This has been the toughest challenge I've ever had. I don't think you can plan on anything like that. I think Tony [DiLeo] every day is on the phones seeing what the options are. The one thing you can't do is you can't make any decision that's going to rob you of your future. You can't do that. If you do something, it has to be something that is going to work into your future. It's got to be somebody that's going to be here, not just rent a player for a year, or whatever. It has to be somebody that if you're going to make a deal that you think can be a part of your team for a while."

Tray reply to mymanjrue on Feb 9 at 17:41

Not to be a jerk, but before you veer off into another incoherent Collins-bash, remember that this team is actually overachieving. Half of the teams ahead of us in the lottery have more talent than us.

Rich reply to Tray on Feb 9 at 18:30

I always wonder about this. Like I agree that they're slightly overachieving, though part of that is just winning more of their close games. They have almost a point and a half worse point differential than the two teams behind them. Seems a bit smoke and mirrors-ish.

This is a really bad roster, but Jrue and Thad are a better 1-2 punch than pretty much anyone below them (Maybe Gay and Lowry now in Toronto, but then again I don't think much of Rudy). And man, the offense we run is painfully bad, and Collins doesn't really adjust.

So I struggle with figuring out how good he's been. I can't deny that this is a really bad roster, worse than the record would indicate, but with the way this team plays offense is so bothersome.

Bobcats +10....sounds like easy money again

lavoy starting with hawes

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:02

Sixers better hit the boards tonight.

Is CHA a particularly good rebounding team? Biyombo is the type of high-energy guy who always does better against the Sixers than he should, but as a whole they aren't particularly scary on the glass.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 20:08

I have no idea if they are or not, just know that they were crashing the glass last night vs the Lakers with multiple guys. Think several ended with double digit boards.

Just get the win. And let Turner go on an unbelievable hot streak, please.

Aaaand we're off. Hawes loses the tip.

Ugh, air ball but out of bounds off Philly on the first possession.

evan you need to keep a body on MKG, if not he will steal all your rebounds

Btw, Nick Young is getting the tougher wing defensive matchup.

Good job, Lavoy.

feel like hes been more active lately

Hawes w/ a pair of 20-footers on that possession, both with 18+ on the shot clock. Jrue to the hole on the next possession, good.

They have Henderson on Jrue, easy pickins' that time.

Ugh, sloppy.

sissy hook

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:16

Hawes, you rock. Lefty spin hook.

Jrue to Spence on a weird give-and-go.

Spence and Turner ran another weird on on the next play. Got a whistle.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:18

I just waved back at Turner standing in the corner with his hand up. Hey!

sissy jumper

Turner in the lane from Hawes.

x2. KEEP SCORING TURNER!

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:20

Come on Evan, two in a row. Please light it up tonight son.

Timeout CHA. Just run right over them, please. Give Turner like 20 minutes of garbage time in the second half to go off.

I wonder if Rod Thorn gets a woody when he watches Mullens play. "That boy shoots from the outside all the time!"

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 20:23

He's actually probably worse than Hawes in that regard. At least Spencer tries hooks from time to time.

Pargo first guy off the bench. Wow.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:24

No telling how he'll pan out, but I like Jeremy Pargo.

Terrible oop from Turner.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:24

Evan pounds his head in disbelief after throwing a pass to who knows.

Is Moultrie going to be the first big off the bench?

Yep.

Wright in as well.

i think sessions gets paid around the same as kwame, he would of been nice

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:26

Um Jrue, get a hand up on Sessions will ya...

sissy 3

Sissy three.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:27

Hawes with a Mullins-esque 3!

Man, there are some terrible big men playing in this game.

Jrue turn, should've just shot it.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:31

Damn Jrue, million dollar move/dribble and two cent pass.

Sessions to the line.

pargo to lavoy

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:33

Good move and find by Pargo. Lavoy

Nice move and dish by Pargo to Allen.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:34

Heh, Evan tries to throw an oop and it hits the rim. Right back to him for a putback J.

Weird, shouldn't that technically be a shot and an o-board for Turner? I mean, it hit the rim.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 20:36

It was I thought. Was it scored differently or something?

Play-by-play just has Turner hitting a 15-footer.

Turner w/ another terrible oop, gets it back and hits.

PHI 23, CHA 17 after one.

Liked what I saw from Pargo there in the first. Assume he'll still be in to start the second.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:37

Evan talking to the ref and almost gets taken baseline.

lavoy jumper

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:38

Pargo can get into the lane at will anytime.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:39

Ugh, Doug called a clearout for Pargo to operate up top and he settles for a 20 foot J. Miss.

Ugh, just take a second and look at the lineup they have out there right now.

Three starters back in now.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:44

Come on Jrue, too loose with it.

Another sloppy pass from Jrue. Can't go w/ that underhand crap in traffic.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:47

Hawes looks to be taking this matchup with Mullens personal.

Hawes w/ the strip, heh.

I'd love to see the ball go through the Sixers hoop after this timeout.

lavoy to hawes, a bucket!

Lavoy to Hawes. Nice play, pick-and-roll, to Lavoy in the post, Hawes diving down the opposite side of the lane. MKG shoots like Turner.

Jrue has missed 4 in the paint, I believe. Same thing happened vs. Indy. Frustrating.

Great hustle by Lavoy, Good hands by Jrue.

Hand-off for the layup, Hawes to Jrue.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:52

Evan flails his arm in the air after blowing a pass from Hawes.

What was that, Turner?

Lavoy w/ 2 o-boards on that trip, and the putback.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:53

Damn Evan, how do you miss that?

Man, this game is going fast. Sixers still haven't been to the line.

Right on cue, Nick Young to the line.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:58

Steve Martin just said "the Sixers haven't been to the line tonight", the possession after NYoung just shot two freebies. Heh, what the hell is he watching?

I'm actually impressed he hasn't complained about being too far from the floor. Typically the opposing announcers have three things they mention (1) Cheesesteaks (2) Being way up in the stands (3) Evan Turner's counting numbers.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:59

Dammit Jrue, jumping then trying to pass.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:00

Heh, Martin just now says, "first time the Sixers will go to the line tonight w/ Pargo".

And they're going to lose the lead here.

Best look at a three Jrue has had in a while, brick. Pargo puts them back on top, though.

PHI 38, CHA 37 at the half.

Find it hard to believe they have 38 points at the half against this team on the second night of a back-to-back.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:06

Pargo with the runner.

Shitful quarter in a mostly shit half.

Somebody on this team needs to show a sack besides Jrue. They shouldn't be/look this bad just because Thad is out. He plays a large role but he's not this huge difference maker to where they should be this inept on both ends of the floor. Yeah, they have hardly any talent but they shouldn't suddenly transform to D-League-ish without Thad.

(on second thought they really only had two what I'd call legit players in Thad and Jrue so I guess if you're only left with one this is what you get....) Still you'd think some other guy(s) would step their games up.

great dish by Jrue on the first play of the third. Come on.

ugh nicks missed like 3 open 3's, good shots but need to hit them

Jrue much more under control here to start the third, and they push the lead to 9.

Four on Nick. Pargo back in. Can Pargo shoot?

jrue

Jrue long two. 11-point lead.

Hawes tipped that rebound away from Turner. Wonderful..

Pargo43!!!

Lavoy saved that possession.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:27

Come on Jeremy, you have to finish that.

Pargo for 3!

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:28

It's really funny as shit when Evan stands over there in the corner with his hand up.

And he does it again....

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:29

Use the glass Jrue.

Wow, pretty move Jrue. Lavoy w/ the dunk on the other end.

Nice awareness, Spence.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:32

Hawes is a screener for the Cats now. Heh

Moultrie+1.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:33

Pargo Moultrie pick and roll. Arnett and-one.

In the bonus now, how about getting to the line a couple times. Get some easy poins to push the lead.

Another blown bunny by Jrue. I think that's 7 misses in the paint now.

And yes, they finally complain about where they're sitting.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:35

Well, there went the "bad angle for the announcers" from Dell Curry.

Pargo+1.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:36

Pargo is quick, and also fast. He's a blur in the open court and half court also. He can get by his defender easily.

Strong debut for him here. He's done more in this one game than any of the other backup PGs have done this season. (Mack, Ivey, Wayns).

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 21:39

So glad he's in instead of Ivey, think he plays good fundamental defense too when attempting to cut off penetration.

quick with that one, Jrue.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:41

Jrue's lucky, that pass was never there like he thought it was. Moultrie fouled after gathering the near bad pass.

It was definitely a bad pass.

Turner pulls out the spaz defense on the other end.

PHI 63, CHA 54 after 3.

Charlotte ended the quarter on a 7-0 run.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:45

How weird is it that the team has 8 total FTA through 3 quarters and Pargo and Moultrie each lead with 3 apiece.

Jrue to the pine to start the fourth. Push this lead, please.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:45

Evannnnn Turner!

nice move evan

Turner from 20.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:46

Evannnnnn Turner x2!

Turner to the line. Get on the fucking phone, DiLeo.

They did't give him shots for that? Wtf?

Now he doesn't have Kemba on him anymore.

back-to-back bricks from Turner once they put a legit defender on him. Ugh.

TV timeout. Think Jrue probably comes back after this break.

Jrue backdoor. Nice feed from Pargo.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:52

Ewwww, nice find and dish by Pargo to Jrue for the backdoor.

nice pargo

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:53

Pargo dicing up the D for a layup.

Come the fuck on. That foul was on the floor.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:55

I despise when Hawes jacks those quick 3's.

Make the call, Tony.

sissy tip in

Did Pargo just get a tech after fouling Sessions? Ugh.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:58

Yep, he must've said the magic word as quick as the ref blew it.

68 shots, 2 FTA for the starters tonight.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 22:00

Jrue lefty runner.

Lefty runner for Jrue.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 22:01

Evan refuses to advance the ball ahead by passing on that shoulda been break. ugh

stop with the evan jumpers

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 22:03

Heh Turner

Good Lord, Turner. That's pitiful.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 22:04

DiLeo just got a lot of off the hook busy signals after that mess.

sissy jumper

Get a good look here, set something up Jrue.

Jrue to spence for the J.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 22:06

Dare I say that Lavoy Allen is one rebound away from 20.

and there it is.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 22:08

He gets #20.

20 for lavoy, hasnt been done since Sammy

Ballgame.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 22:09

I don't know, not over yet.

Jrue to Lavoy for the slam! Nice.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 22:10

Allen dunk off a Jrue feed.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 22:11

Jrue w/ the dagger layup

Heh. Jrue to the cup.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 22:13

Fucking Lavoy with 11 o-boards tonight. Ha

PHI 87, CHA 76 final.

Lavoy is your runaway POTG. Not even close. 22 boards for the big man.

OK, they won 4 of 5 like they had to. No idea where they go from here w/ this squad, though.

wow so this team can win when they get a beastly performance from their center..hmm...

Well, they can beat the Bobcats.

When they have a couple days rest and Charlotte is on the second night of a back-to-back, and the game is in Philly.

Thought Detroit was going to help us out in MIL, but Dalembert is putting them to sleep. He's got 14/11 and 5 blocks.

Wow, Charlie V. Pulls it out for Detroit to help the Sixers out. Exciting finish.

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 23:38

Watch out for Detroit catching us.

They're 3.5 back. If they catch us, probably means we didn't move up enough to make the playoffs anyway.

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 10 at 2:38

Yeah, that's probably right. But I do think they're a better team than us, even with Thad healthy. It's weird; for months now both Toronto and Detroit have had significantly, even substantially better scoring margins than us and yet have failed to catch up. And at this point there's a good chance neither will.

Both Toronto and Detroit are better than their record shows, but i don't think they catch the Sixers unless something has gone terribly wrong with Thad. Both might actually have better teams than the Sixers (without Bynum), but i think the Sixers are more disciplined and better coached team. Also i think that playoff experience has payed off. They are at least 5 games ahead of where they should've been with this roster.

buke reply to Xsago on Feb 10 at 14:39

Yes, I'm afraid you are right. This team can't even manage to tank successfully. Perhaps we will be able to thank Collins for being able to watch the team get crushed in the first round of the playoffs and losing our first round draft choice. At best maybe the team will barely miss the playoffs and get the 14th pick. Seems like we've been here before (2006 I believe).

Maybe they'll find a taker and get a reasonably fair exchange for Turner. At least that will provide a spark of interest for a week or two.

Tray reply to buke on Feb 10 at 16:30

And yet, there's a pretty decent chance we go 1-6 the rest of the month (LAC, @MIL, @MIN, MIA, @NYK, ORL, @CHI). After that, the losses could continue with games against the Warriors, Celtics, Heat, and road games against the Hawks and resurgent Wizards.

Rob_STC reply to buke on Feb 10 at 17:08

The draft is a crap shoot. They went 27-55 with Eddie Jordan and got the 2nd pick and we all know how this turned out. Picked Jrue at 17 and was a steal. In my opinion not mich difference picking 14th or 17th. I wouldn't miss a playoff run for that.

I actually want them to lose the pick this year. If they keep it this year, they'll lose it next year and next years raft is much better.

buke reply to Xsago on Feb 10 at 18:29

No one knows how good a draft will be. The pundits called the 2007 draft a "once in a generation" draft. It turned out to be not-so-hot (despite Durant) and didn't produce as many elite players as 2008 which the pundits at the time predicted would be not as good. These people really don't know all that much. Mostly they just mimic other sentiments they've read or heard. I get the feeling a lot of them got through college by copying.

I read a poster today speculate that Paul George may be the best player from Turner's draft class. He could be right. How many pundits were saying that Paul George should be drafted in the top 3 at the time? I don't remember any.

How many pundits predicted that a bottom first rounder and a second round pick would be two of the top three players for possibly the most successful franchise of the early 21st century (the Spurs)?

By point is don't discount any draft or draft pick. Furthermore, the Sixers need help as soon as possible - better in 2013 than 2014. They don't have to be game changers. Look how much a 10 day contract player (Pargo) livened things up last night.

eddies' heady's reply to buke on Feb 10 at 23:31

Cannot stress enough how much I agree with all of this. There's a lot of truths here and you conveyed it nicely.

Rob_STC on Feb 10 at 9:55

Adam Aron on the 97.5 right now talking about Bynum coming back and a playoff chase. Got to give it to the man, he obviously doesn't know basketball but man can he promote the team. I give him credit he doesn't duck questions and seems to take plenty of abuse on twitter.

sounds like Deandre Jordan is definitely available. a shame we really don't have anyone the Clips would be interested in.

I don't want him anywhere near the Sixers to be honest. He has actually progressed more than i ever thought he could offensively, but the reality is he is a horribly overpaid backup center. He fouls too much, meaning he can't play heavy minutes and more importantly he is so bad from the FT line you can't play him at the end of games because teams will simply employ a hack-a-Jordan.

YoungGun13 reply to Xsago on Feb 10 at 19:13

i agree with you about the free throw thing but I would love to have deandre here. He only gets about 4 fouls per 36 minutes which isn't bad for a shot-blocking center and he has shot over 60 percent from the field his whole career. I think he would be pretty effective with the sixers.

Would this mean not re-signing Bynum, playing them together, or using him as insurance?

YoungGun13 reply to Brian on Feb 10 at 22:54

Well it is too late to try and make a move for him now since bynum will be back pretty soon. But i guess i would use him as insurance. I don't think jordan and bynum could coexist for long stretches.

Crawford played 37 minutes, Blake 38 minutes, nobody else played more then 30

Tom Moore on Feb 10 at 16:34

Vucevic had 17 and 19 tonight and led his team to a win over Portland, snapping their 12-game losing streak. He's averaging 17 and 14 this month, and has averaged 13 rebounds a game over the past three months. More interestingly, Vucevic's one of 11 players in the three-point era to average 11.5 boards a game at his age; the others are Barkley, Brand, Duncan, Howard, Love, Shaq, Olajuwon, Buck Williams, and Danny Fortson, who twice led the league in rebounding percentage before injuries ended his career. You might say that Vucevic is just getting a ton of minutes on a bad team, but if you look at his 20% rebounding percentage, the only players who played at least 24 minutes a game and had a rebounding percentage that high at his age are Shaq, Howard, Love, Williams, Fortson, Kemp, and Biedrins.

Have you watched any ORL games this year? I've only seen their game vs. Philly. Wondering if Voose looks any different than he did for us last year. I've only seen the one and he didn't. The boarding numbers are definitely impressive. Just wondering if he's looked like a dominant big, or just the same guy gobbling up boards mostly in blowout losses.

I've seen a few. He doesn't look like a dominant big (except on the boards), but he is definitely by far the best and most consistent player on that Orlando team. Lets say he is "good Vucevic" from last year on a regular basis this year. He's had only a few bad games (of all the games i've seen the Sixers one has been his worst). He has improved his defensive rebounding positioning and gets a ton of his own misses on the offensive end. He scores mostly on cuts, jump shots, post ups and tip ins off offensive rebounds. He has improved defensively, but has plenty of room to grow there. His pick and roll defense is still bad, but that's not uncommon in the NBA for true centers, especially offensive minded ones. And the most surprising thing is he plays with a lot of energy, something we didn't quite see last year.

All in all he plays similarly to how Lavoy Allen played against the Bobcats with a few more tip ins and post ups instead of jump shots.

...so maybe he wasn't a horrendous reach at pick 17 last year like an awful lot of people here seemed to think he was?

He's been a pleasant surprise to say the least.

YoungGun13 on Feb 10 at 22:57

Now i have a question for you. If the warriors offered klay thompson + biedrins for evan turner + hawes, would you do it?

johnrosz reply to YoungGun13 on Feb 10 at 23:02

is their GM trying to get fired?

butler a GTD for tonight