No Reason to Expect a Win

Brook Lopez remains one of the softest big men you'll ever see.

And yet - you'd take him over Hawes wouldn't you?

Not on a max contract, no. In a pickup game, I'd select Lopez first.

I was focusing purely on ability to play basketball...I mean sure Lopez is soft, but still, better than Hawes

well at least this year's team probably won't finish 59 GAMES out of first place like this group did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972%E2%80%9373_Philadelphia_76ers_season

OK, so after about 100 times hitting the button, I got the Sixers up to the #2 spot on Chad Ford's mock. He's got them taking Anthony Bennett if Nerlens is off the board. Anyone know anything about Bennett?

Tuck reply to Brian on Mar 11 at 14:33

I read his profile on draftexpress a few weeks ago but haven't seen any of his games. He's supposedly a really talented and versatile PF although a bit undersized (he does have a huge wingspan though). He's extremely athletic which the Sixers could use. Has a good handle for a big guy and generally just knows how to score in a lot of different ways. Gets to the line at a good clip which is another thing the Sixers desperately need. As with most young players, his defense is suspect.

I don't see him as the #2 prospect right now because of his height but maybe his growth plates are still open and he'll sprout a few inches more! I could see him as a target for the Sixers in the 5-10 range.

Reading that makes him sound awfully like someone already on the sixers roster (and ranks 7th in DX)

He does get to the line a ton. So does the dude from UCLA. That makes me lean toward those guys.

Tuck reply to Brian on Mar 11 at 14:51

Yea, I think it's a must that the Sixers find a guy who can get to the line. Doesn't always translate from college but I think Bennett and Shabazz will.

Yup, the more i read/watch about the top15 players in this draft, the more i like Shabazzz. I think he is the only one that has even some superstar potential.

The other guy i like is Len so we'll see... Hopefully the Sixers will tank enough to get one of these guys.

eddies' heady's reply to Xsago on Mar 11 at 21:49

Realize I've already mentioned this to you before, but Len does near nothing for me. Not that it's a determiner or anything, but he didn't even make 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team All-ACC. He's subject to not even come out only being a sophomore, unless some of these draftniks are overrating him off of one performance vs Duke. He's not showing much against a league that doesn't have any legit big men even close to his size. Yeah he's still young, but I don't see him translating well to the next level.

Tray reply to Brian on Mar 11 at 14:49

Draftexpress describes him as an "explosive," 6'7 240 lb power forward (7'1 wingspan) with a decent outside shot, 37% from three, that he doesn't rely too heavily on (a little less than 3 attempts a game) who doesn't rebound as well as he ought to. He shoots 74% around the basket, which is top 10 in the NCAA. He can drive with either hand and doesn't turn the ball over much. Unsurprisingly, his post game is undeveloped. He isn't, at the moment, a good defender and he doesn't like to pass. Looking at his DX video "scouting report," I'm not bowled over; he's pretty athletic but it's not quite like he's a young Amare. He seems to have potential as a pick and roll finisher/transition scorer/pick and pop guy, but a lot of his offense seems to be these straight-line drives that aren't really that quick and may not translate so well. On the other hand, he has some pretty impressive change-of-direction ability for a guy of his size, even a pretty good crossover, and he is really strong. And by no means does he look shy inside. So, you know, an intriguing combination of size, athleticism and skill, but I kind of see him being a guy who will just give you a fair amount of scoring at middling efficiency for his position and not much else. I'd prefer one of the guards at the top of the draft. But see for yourself.

I'll take a look tonight, tough to watch long videos at work.

Irving out 3-4 weeks, probably ends his year

Yep, saw that. The Bynum of little men.

Tray reply to Brian on Mar 11 at 14:51

I think that's Rose. His new story is that his hamstrings are really sore from practicing.

Probably a safe bet we won't be falling lower than Cleveland, now.

Unless of course Thad needs to rest because his injury is irritating him again and Jrue is reduced in minutes because he's hit a wall.

I'm just saying - plausible things is all

Tray reply to Brian on Mar 11 at 15:16

They're 4-10 without Irving; the 4 wins were against us when we were .500 or so, the Hawks, the Raptors, and the Bulls. Hawks and the Bulls were road games. And it's worth noting that they went 2-1 in their recent 3-game stretch without him and 2-9 in their 11-game stretch without him when they were really bad in November and December. They seem to be worse with him on the court defensively, and Waiters and Thompson have played a lot better as the season's gone on. But maybe most importantly for our lottery chances, Shaun Livingston's been a really solid backup and an efficient low double-digits scorer in the games when Irving's been out.

I'm fine w/ that, as long as I'm not the one saying they're better off without the savior.

I sort of enjoyed watching Vuce play last night. Not that he's going to be a star- just good to see a player I used to root for now reaching his potential and outperforming expectations.

Eh. I remember rooting for Barkley when he left, especially when they were playing the Bulls in the Finals, but other than that, I pretty much don't care what guys do when they leave.

tk76 reply to Brian on Mar 11 at 15:29

I not so much rooting for him as paying closer attention and comparing what I see now to his rookie year. Unfortunately I am not rooting for anyone at this stage except for maybe Moultrie to be a surprise.

KH reply to tk76 on Mar 11 at 15:08

Actually I think he will be a star he is only 22 or 23 and has a PER around 18. He is a really fluid player with a good body and skill. He won't be a super star but top 30 player in the league or so at some point I could easily see it.

Tray reply to KH on Mar 11 at 15:18

I think he'll be this overrated guy who averages 14 and 11 or so on okay shooting and has lousy defense that people ignore because of the rebounding.

Tuck reply to Tray on Mar 11 at 15:32

Bingo!

sounds kind of like Joe Blanton, there is some value in just being average especially when the alternative is hawful

Or people will hate just because he is white and doesn't throw dunks like DeAndre Jordan.

Think you might have that race thing wrong. Seems to me like white guys who can play a little bit get over-hyped.

And compared to other white guys :)

Hawes however, he just sucks,

There is plenty of "over-hyping" being done both ways. But i do think white players are assumed to be nonathletic, soft and bad at defense and as a result bad players almost all the time. Really outside of David Lee, Chris Kaman and maybe Hawes, if you ask opposing teams broadcasters i'm not sure there is a single white player that is overhyped. And guys like the Gasol brothers, Asik, Ginnobili, Vasquez, Koufos, Splitter, Parsons all get under-appreciated (to various degrees of course). Even Nowitzki and Nash were under-appreciated for part of their careers.

Don't get me wrong, i think the NBA used to have a race problem and luckily it's gone now. Unfortunately i think it's starting to tilt the other way and that's no good either.

Tray reply to Xsago on Mar 11 at 17:40

Whatever stupid reasons people have for not thinking he's good (though a ton of writers have been saying of late that Orlando really made out with Vucevic), the more I see of him the more I think that he's a defensive detriment who deceptively excels at the one big defensive stat on the box score. That's visible when you watch him, it's visible in his on/off numbers (they're better defensively with him off), but taking an even broader look, it's kind of telling that Orlando's the league's 4th best team on the defensive glass, yet has the league's 5th worst defense. He's like a 7', way more conventional version of Reggie Evans. And then his offense is borderline efficient and looks way better than it is because he never gets to the line. A TS% of .539 on a eFG% of .525 is kind of crazy. If all you knew were those two numbers, you'd think he was Anthony Morrow in a down year, not a center.

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Mar 15 at 21:43

agreed brian

LOTTERY!
LOTTERY!
LOTTERY!
One good year in 23..two acceptable years in 30
WTB is wrong with this picture?

Just got the Sixers up to #3 in the lottery machine, they took Nerlens. So it looks like Ford has their top two as Nerlens, Bennett. Don't know who he has as #3 for them. When they stay at 10-12, it's Zeller and then Plumlee.

Tray reply to Brian on Mar 11 at 16:52

I'm surprised Nerlens would ever be available at three. I also suspect that he's factoring Turner into his predictions of our draft board more than he should be.

I've seen McLemore and Bennett and McLemore and Smart at 1/2 a number of times. The one I just did had Smart to TOR and McLemore to CHA, then Nerlens to Orlando.

Tray reply to Brian on Mar 11 at 17:09

Smart has really bad stats. I don't know where analytics is about translating college stats into pro stats, but a guy who's shooting 29% from college three on 4 attempts a game, shoots 41% from the floor overall, has a 4.3/3.3 A:TO ratio ... why is that all going to get way better in the league? It's not even like he has the excuse that he's the only scorer on his team or something; he only takes 11 shots a game. Then I read that he's not that quick, not that athletic, and that he's projected to be a combo guard. The defense is great, but a top 2 pick?

He gets to the line a lot, right? I'm not saying I'd take him, but I'm suddenly valuing that skill to the point where I'd trade Turner for Maggette (and I'm not kidding about that).

Tray reply to Brian on Mar 11 at 17:20

He does get to the line a ton. Over 6 times a game, and about 57 times for every 100 shots he takes. But this is college ball, where guys who have NBA size and strength, as he does, have huge physical advantages. Turner, in his sophomore year, got to the line almost 7 times a game/58 times per 100 shots. So that doesn't always project.

I haven't seen Smart go any lower than 4th in any of these results. He might be getting a big boost for being the best PG in the draft, and the relative success young PGs have had in the league recently. Ford says he's got the X factor and leadership going for him. So did Jonny Flynn, of course.

Tray reply to Brian on Mar 11 at 17:46

Jameer Nelson, another huge x factor guy. I guess if Smart's available when we draft (at 3rd, hopefully) we could swap picks with someone and extract something or another.

i might be in the minority but if they can trade this years first for an unprotected first next year, to a bad team like the bobcats id do it

I'm with ya.

I think more people than you think would be on the same page with you. Wonder if that's even an o. The main problem is that they'd have to get a first round pick back in the deal, I believe.

Rich reply to Rich on Mar 11 at 16:56

Meant to say "option." Dumb phone.

You are not in the minority :)

But unfortunately it's never gonna happen. Before the sudden love for first round picks at the trade deadline (after GMs realized the value of picks under the new CBA), there was plenty of talk that a lot of teams high in the lottery will try to trade the pick for a proven player.

Noones trading an unprotected firstrounder in 2014 though, with at least 3 potential franchise players at the top.

2014 is the draft where we have the #16 pick after Josh Smith's max contract gets us back into the playoffs as a #8 seed.

No, if we make the playoffs next year we send the pick to Miami.

Bynum screwed that plan up as well. Weird how people forget that the pick they were supposed to keep was in the much better 2014 class but will now go to the Heat unless the Sixers tank next season as well. The fact that they protected it for two years does give me hope though that they might pull off another tank job if they can't fix the team in the offseason.

I used to think that as well, but lately i am of the opinion that it's gonna be Bynum or bust. Meaning if they don't think Bynum is worth signing they'll just sit on the cap for next season, signing one year deals for average players in the meantime to reach the salary minimum.

Unfortunately, i don't think they view the draft as a place to find that franchise player. They will hunt for a star free agent while making good value picks in the middle of the first round.

Collins isn't going through another season like this. If he's back, they're going to make an unwise signing (assuming they don't bring Bynum back). My bet is Josh Smith, but Al Jefferson is a possibility as well. Then I think they trade for someone else, probably on a bad contract.

Aren't you mr happy go lucky sunshine today.

Man - on national nap day of all days

I could use a nap.

Alright, there's a pretty good chance I'll catch up on the DVR by the end of the first half, so I should be here for the better part of the game thread. Enjoy, guys.

wilkins starting again, nick young think he can play on WED

thad jumper

free throws for jrue!

Wojnarowski with an hilariously overheated column on how "the culture of [basketball] has never been so backward, never so twisted" because... a lot of people on Twitter made fun of Brandon Knight getting viciously dunked on. It's weird that this nutty guy is the one who gets all the trade scoops.

sissy hook

Hmmm thought it was a 7:30 tip. Brain is fried. Will catch up by second half probably.

sissy tip in

Lopez on fire

Fun fact: Jrue's 20 for his last 78. That's a little less than 26%.

ivey 3

wright 3

reggie evans jumpshot goes in

jrue 3!

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 19:57

Who would you put your best defender on vs the Nets, Wallace or Joe Johnson?

johnson

eddies' heady's reply to sixerfan1220 on Mar 11 at 19:59

That's what I'd say too, Wilkins was assigned to him to start the game.

hawes makes both FT

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:21

I don't think the Sixers realize this is the time they're supposed to head into the tank. Still up 5 almost halfway through the 3rd.

See, look at Hawes a man possessed following his own miss and the foul.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:24

Wilkins and-one chance.

wilkins 3

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:30

Wilkins 3. They need to get his ass out of the game, he's scoring too much.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:31

Wilkins block on Lopez.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:32

Hawes J up against the clock.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:33

Jrue to Hawes for a dunk.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:34

They sure are inspired tonight. Hawes is a freakin' manchild.

Call me crazy, but Is Spencer Hawes becoming better at finishing at the basket???? Could it actually become a consistent part of his game?

eddies' heady's reply to ojr107 on Mar 11 at 20:37

I'd say it's a mirage akin to his 12 game start out of the gates last year.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:38

They can't miss in this quarter it seems. Believe they've only missed 4 or 5 shots to this point.

Hawes outlet, Dorell streaking and a slam.

jrue

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:38

Spencer handoff, Jrue J.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:39

Bad shot, Jrue.

thad jumper

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:47

How in the hell the Nets have the 3rd best road record in the East I'll never know. They look pretty bad.

OK, finally caught up. We'll see how it ends, but obviously the best game this team has played in a long time. Can they finish it?

Don't fuck around the rest of the way, keep Jrue on Williams. He scored like 14 points after they moved him off the ball there in the third/early fourth.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:53

Heh at Hawes with the left hand attempt. Ha

Hawes has been trying to dunk all night. What's gotten into him?

Turner's getting torched tonight.

et 3

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:54

ET 3.

TURNER43!!!!

Jrue back to the line. Hit 'em both.

free.

x2. Fucker.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 20:56

Dag Jrue that second one was a big brick.

No legs. Didn't bend his knees at all, just flicked it.

Don't want to speak too soon, but Hawes > Brook tonight?

since the first quarter, sure

SPENCE!!!

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 21:00

Hawes and Lopez have been about tit for tat, though Hawes has been way more active.

Just like on the o-board there. He's playing really inspired tonight.

Smart foul there. You know Thad is good for 1/2 at the line, at best.

Yep, split 'em.

Don't ice it. Have to keep attacking.

Jrue to the line again. Pretty, pretty please hit these.

Front rim on both, but they both drop. Up 10.

jrue lost d-will for 3

That was terrible. Did he try to take a shortcut through the lane and he faded baseline?

SPAWES +1! Smart play, Reggie.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 21:05

You can't mess with Hawes with that new part in his fresh cut. And the taper on the top of his beard. Heh. He's clean.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 21:07

Evan's almost shot us out of this game, he needs to shoot some more.

Come on, Turner. That's lazy.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 21:08

Believe this one is over. No way BK comes back from 9 down.

he lost him again but he missed this time

He was there that time, just slipped when he went for the contest. The other one he legitimately lost him.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 21:09

lol at ET's reaction after getting blocked. Heh

They're fucking free. Damnit.

eddies' heady's on Mar 11 at 21:11

Well, I guess this is just like if they had beat the Magic last night.

Eh. Forget the tank, just enjoy a well-played game. There have been so few of them to enjoy this year.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Mar 11 at 21:13

I'm with you, but it's hard to when I've watched them lose twice to the Magic in a little over a weeks time.

Heh. If Jrue gets a pair of charity freebies here, will that be his first time ever w/ 10 FTA in one game?

PHI 106, BKN 97 Final.

Hawes is POTG, but a total team effort and I thought really one of Jrue's best games this season. Williams had an amazing game, but the defensive effort was there all night, he didn't force his shots, set people up, took care of the ball.

Rich reply to Brian on Mar 11 at 22:17

Is it me or have Hawes and Turner have been POTG a lot this year? Not saying that they've been good, but it sort of feels like those two have had a decent amount of POTGs, more than they should. Could be wrong.

I haven't been keeping track this year. You think more than five each? Ten? Tonight's was legit for Hawes, especially since he clamped down on Brooklyn's big sissy after the first quarter. Maybe sometimes I give it to those two because they're better than their usually shitty selves. Who knows.

Stan reply to Brian on Mar 12 at 20:42

Hawes and Turner are too pudgy for NBA players.

Brooke Lopez is an honorary "Hawes."

Saw that Wall wants a max deal, which isn't a shock. If he gets one, I'll laugh. Especially considering the contracts the PGs in Jrue's year signed (Jennings excluded).

Tray reply to Brian on Mar 12 at 14:37

He also said every spot on the court is his sweet spot in reply to a question that went something like, "so, you shoot 50% from the right elbow but somewhere between 25 and 31 percent from every other midrange area - is the right elbow a sweet spot for you or is this just random variation?" Lowe's kind of a weird interviewer but that's also a ridiculous answer.

Mike reply to Tray on Mar 12 at 17:59

i love his questions like that. he always points out something in someone's game that basically sucks, and tries to phrase it in a polite way.

He asks good questions. I like him.