Something New in an Old Season

will we ever see a Holiday-Holiday-Young-Young small lineup at all for the rest of this season or is SwaggyP just stuck inside the Doughouse permanently?

Tray reply to das411 on Apr 3 at 13:26

Doug's trying to make the playoffs here. He has no time for your cute lineup hijinks (or developing Moultrie). It's all about putting the best lineup on the floor and at least trying to foster that winning .450 basketball culture.

Damn straight. Btw, if Turner had played for Mike Rice in college, he might have half a sack right now. That video didn't shock me. It shocks me that every college practice isn't like that considering the level of play in the tournament.

Stan reply to Brian on Apr 3 at 13:35

I just don't know how those kids restrained themselves. I would have lost my shit if a coach chucked basketballs at me and called me a faggot.

Tray reply to Stan on Apr 3 at 13:38

Yeah, I don't think that stuff is okay. Especially the bigoted language.

I don't think I ever had the slurs, but I definitely had coaches who lost their shit like that during practice. More than one.

Stan reply to Brian on Apr 3 at 13:56

I don't mind the grabbing of the jerseys or the yelling (minus the slurs) but the heaving of basketballs crosses the line.

This wouldn't work on Turner because he seems like the kind of kid who would have went home and cried, quit the team and then have his mother write a letter to the school about how he was mistreated.

Turner's conditioning kind of bothers me. This was him in high school- http://imgur.com/a/bmjNI

It should more than kind of bother you. I don't have a problem w/ a basketball getting tossed at you if you aren't paying attention or you're doing the wrong thing. I didn't see anything physical that bothered me on that tape, honestly. A lot of it seemed demonstrative, like "You have to fight in the paint, like this." type stuff.

When I was a freshman in high school, I played D-End and our coach always ran the scout offense. Whenever we were going to face a team that ran an option, he'd basically be running at me on the end w/ the ball, w/ the RB trailing for the option toss. In our defense, the DE was always supposed to hit the QB, no matter what. Outside contain wasn't our job. I remember the first time he came around the end (without pads on) I didn't hit him, held up a second and then knocked down the pitch. He grabbed my facemask and yelled at me for like 5 minutes about how this was our one chance for a free shot on the QB and he didn't ever want me to let up again. I buried him on the next play. Then he made me run for hitting him. Life isn't fair sometimes.

GoSixers reply to Brian on Apr 3 at 14:32

I had a problem with the ball throwing - he was 'winding up' and aiming for the head. It was beyond what I would consider 'alright' (A chest pass to a guys chest to get him to pay attention fine) but in this day and age where concussion research such as it is - firing the ball at a guys head like that is unacceptable.

Verbal stuff as long as you aren't being a bigoted racist homophobic moron - fine - but hacking that ball at the kids head.

PS - your coachs motto regarding hitting the QB at all costs -that would be a penalty today wouldn't it?:)

Depends. If you hit him 2 steps after he pitches it, then yeah you'd probably get a flag. But if it's within a step, he's still a runner and fair game as long as it isn't helmet-to-helmet.

Mike reply to Brian on Apr 3 at 14:36

dude, that is so much different than this Rutgers thing

Yeah, I'm not really saying one is the same as the other. Just an anecdote. The closest example to this I ever had was when I was 10. Had a coach who thought I was afraid of the ball, so for the entire season when he was pitching BP to me, he'd throw like one out of three pitches right at my head. Literally lasted all year. I was never afraid of getting hit by a pitch after that, but it sucked while it was going on.

GoSixers reply to Brian on Apr 3 at 14:41

It was also abuse

Actually, I was 11. Not that it matters.

Don't think I'd call it abuse. I only got hit once or twice. My BP wasn't very productive most of the time, but it did work as aversion therapy, I guess. It's not really something that scarred me, and years later I could look back and see the positive I drew from it.

Personally, I think a coach's role is to push his players more than encourage or coddle them. At least that's the type of relationship I always got the most out of w/ coaches.

GoSixers reply to Brian on Apr 3 at 14:55

There's a line, I played goalie, so I'm used to things being flung at me - but keep in mind there are more kinds of abuse than physical as well - and scaring the crap out of an 11 year old by threatening to throw a ball at his head seems to strain the line to me.

Besides, the best way to learn new habits according to research is 'anti rewards' - you don't get something if you succeed - you lose something if you fail - smarter way to break habits in any way of life.

Heh. He didn't threaten anything, he actually did it. No warning. There wasn't a lesson either. He didn't say, "I think you're afraid of the ball so I'm doing this." He just did it. The motivation is just what I assumed.

That one part of the video that they replay on the rutgers thing, the player got hit in the shoulder, not the head. though you obviously don't know where he was aiming.

GoSixers reply to Brian on Apr 3 at 15:23

The video I saw this morning showed multiple tosses - so maybe we're seeing different video - not to mention the 'shaking' of the students would make Bobby Knight cringe

But this guy didn't get fired because of this per se - he got fired because of public outcry - Rutgers had already disciplined him and tried to justify it on ESPN just the other day - which means to me - if you feel the coach has to go - maybe you need to look at the AD as well

Yeah, agreed. The ref thing bothers me more than the coach thing, though. I heard Donaghy on the radio this morning on my way to work. Cracks me up that he's the expert on crooked refs.

GoSixers reply to Brian on Apr 3 at 17:49

Well it's Ed Rush and it's the pac 12 but I think it's more of an out of context thing than anything else - Rush is an idiot who made a real stupid joke - all refs have prejudices, we all know it - he was stupid enough to verbalize his

Tray reply to GoSixers on Apr 3 at 17:56

Yeah, people are out of their minds if they don't think refs constantly joke about which coaches or players they can't stand.

Tray reply to GoSixers on Apr 3 at 16:23

That's what I thought at first, that the AD's going to get fired. The problem is, he covered his ass and got the president of the university to sign off on the three-game suspension. And he claims the president saw the tape. So the president can't just scapegoat the AD when the president signed off on this, and I really doubt they'll fire the president.

Stan reply to Tray on Apr 3 at 16:35

He could be fired. They also have that issue where that kid committed suicide because he was bullied for being gay.

Tray reply to Stan on Apr 3 at 16:39

That happened a while ago and he still has his job. It's possible, of course, but I'd predict that the firings stop here.

Mike reply to Tray on Apr 3 at 21:12

the AD just got them into the BIG 10, made them tons of money, and is a finalist for AD of the year. don't think they want to fire him.

I didn't know MKG was born in Philly. Considering Jordan's draft history, MKG wasn't a bad pick. Most people including me would have taken Thomas Robinson instead.

Yeah. I think his ceiling is Gerald Williams.

but 29% outside of two feet? Man, that's beyond brutal. We're talking 266 attempts, too. And only 9 threes. It's not a particularly small sample size.

Charlie H on Apr 3 at 14:47

You mean Gerald Henderson? Or Marvin Williams? Shelden Williams?

Stan reply to Charlie H on Apr 3 at 14:48

I think he meant Gerald Wallace

Yeah. Gerald Wallace, not Gerald Williams who was a light-hitting outfielder for the Yanks years ago.

This is just disgusting. The Lakers are making a laughing stock of the whole league.

More like the league is making a laughing stock of itself.

jeff taylor and mullens out for tonight's game

jrue gets fouled,no call thad puts it in

et jumper

up 8 end of 1

wright 3

lavoy o-board leads to a wright 3, up 16

jrue to spence

stop turning it over

up 5 at the half

wilkins

mymanjrue on Apr 3 at 20:27

i was on a plane from boston to philly w/ mkg and his mom once. mkg was a quiet kid who had to hunch over to walk on the plane. his mom sat right in front of me, bragged on her son and on that lovely man coach calipari to her seatmate for half the flight. he was a high school senior at the time

mymanjrue on Apr 3 at 20:39

tough shooting night for the holiday brothers thus far. and it seems three good games in a row was too much to ask of evan turner

et

down 3 end of the 3rd

jrue cant make anything

mymanjrue reply to sixerfan1220 on Apr 3 at 20:53

1/17

mymanjrue reply to mymanjrue on Apr 3 at 20:54

oops 1/18

dollar bill is gonna have a field day with this jrue game

mymanjrue on Apr 3 at 20:55

might be time to stop shooting jrue

mymanjrue reply to mymanjrue on Apr 3 at 20:58

wow

1-20

mymanjrue on Apr 3 at 21:08

hated that last shot by turner

2-23!

mymanjrue reply to sixerfan1220 on Apr 3 at 21:10

yeah!

nice in bounds evan

mymanjrue on Apr 3 at 21:16

JESUS CHRIST turner

buke reply to mymanjrue on Apr 3 at 21:26

I don't know what he was supposed to do since no one came out to get the pass. I guess he could have just thrown it in the crowd and hoped for the best or he could have just taken the 5 second turnover.

Wilkins, their most consistent player over this end-of-season run, was player of the game for the Sixers. Holiday was definitely the biggest loser. He certainly was bound and determined to get that second bucket even if it took him 23 shots to do it.

mymanjrue reply to buke on Apr 3 at 21:47

yeah i hear you, just looked lazy to me. subjective judgment to be sure, but henderson was basically just jumping up and down. thought he could have timed it better. agree with your other points

holy fuck you gotta be kidding me.

lovely game. exactly what I hope for when I rush home from work to relax and watch a game. POTG is Wilkins, I suppose. Jrue just fell out of a boat and missed water.

Heh, Bucks lost to the T-Wolves, too.

Wow, what was I thinking watching that game.

I think this is the sane reaction.

The Van Arsdale brothers they're not.

Mickey and Brad Davis shut their TVs off in disgust; are considering comebacks.

That wasn't 'Cat stink in the Litter Box.

Mom and Dad may request bereavement airfare adjustments today.

It's been a long slide, but that 2/24 shooting night dropped Jrue from .508 all the way down below the Mendoza line in TS%. He's at .497 now. .428 over the past 17 games to go from average to slightly above Turner.

This from Chad Ford on Zeller:

While there are still a handful of NBA GMs and scouts who are huge believers in Zeller, that pool has shrunk considerably over the course of the past few months. NBA scouts are openly saying he needs to return to Bloomington for another season and work on his strength and perimeter game.

What are the odds Dileo is one of those GMs who's still a huge believer in Zeller?

I have faith in DiLeo regarding the draft. I'm not sure it's his decision though...

Tray reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 10:11

Very slim, I think.

GoSixers reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 10:28

Someone might want to point out to Ford that hardly any one improves their draft stock by going back to school for another year to 'improve' their game. It usually just exposes more holes and makes them one year older so the 'upside' is less.

Stan reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 10:29

Giannis Adetokoubo. That's who they're going to draft. An athletic freak, raw talent, new to the sport, no offensive game, and no established position.

I'd be very much on board with this even though 11 is probably too high for him. I actually hope he drops to the second round and the Sixers grab him with one of the second rounders. Great "stash overseas" prospect.

Tray reply to Xsago on Apr 4 at 12:12

I was kind of thinking we could draft Russ Smith in the second round, start him at the 2, and win the lottery next year.

Not overly familiar with him, but i am not high on him. I like Adetokunbo and Dieng if they fall to the second round and McDermott and Caldwell-Pope if they don't.

It's been written that former Sixers head coach Roy Rubin had been persuaded to keep John Q. Trapp - brother of Pistons' George - in a game by the nearby sighting of a gun in the stands, convincingly flashed by a friend of minutes-enthusiast John Q.

What's Collins' excuse for Jrue's continued PT last night? Even Thad is becoming dispirited by the repetition of unsuccessful Holiday cranks.

I find this assertion hard to believe. Jrue's 22 missed shots resulted in 14 offensive rebounds and 22 points. Padding his teammates' stats, even when he can't shoot to save his life. The consummate teammate.

Consummate teammate my ass. Holiday Jr. is rapidly climbing the chart to worst-ever All-Star selection. He and blood brother Collins have turned this season into an extended pick-up game. Sixers, a pro club and Holiday, a field general? - ha!

Tray reply to Dollar Bill on Apr 4 at 10:41

You're a big fan of WS/48, so I think you'll agree that Jrue has a long way to go before he matches 3-time All-Star Antoine Walker (career WS/48 of .058), and particularly 2002 Antoine Walker (.039 WS/48, .467 TS%, .388 FG%). Yes, Walker was an All-Star in a year when he shot under 39% from the field.

I'm a big fan of my eyes.

Said "rapidly climbing the chart."

Antoine shimmied better than Jrue.

GoSixers reply to Dollar Bill on Apr 4 at 10:53

Of course you are - a fan of the least reliable evaluating tool around no big surprise

You're one of the most reliable tools.

GoSixers reply to Dollar Bill on Apr 4 at 11:25

Wow, I see what you did there, so very witty Mr Hayes.

Thanks, Santa Ana windbag.

raro reply to Dollar Bill on Apr 4 at 12:22

Brian, we need a 'like' or 'upvote' button for quips like these. Well done!

Tray reply to Dollar Bill on Apr 4 at 10:58

"rapidly climbing the chart to worst ever" sounds like you think he has a shot of getting there. I probably wouldn't argue with you if you said he was among the top ten worst in the last ten years, but I don't think he'll ever get close to the very top. On the contrary, with reduced shots and actual talent around him he should improve.

Tray reply to Tray on Apr 4 at 11:41

Another exceptionally poor All-Star campaign: this player led the league in usage rate, yet only had a .478 TS% and an .066 WS/48. He is, of course, 2003-04 Allen Iverson.

GoSixers reply to Tray on Apr 4 at 11:47

Except Iverson was never a point guard, never made players around him better, and honestly, is vastly over rated - not exactly a strong comparison.

Iverson also was chosen by fan voting no? Different as players / coaches should be slightly more informed than a fan base that still thinks 20 PPG regardless of how many shots it takes is a good scoring average

Tray reply to GoSixers on Apr 4 at 11:56

You seem not to have understood my post; I didn't compare Iverson to Jrue. In fact, the "another" in "another exceptionally poor All-Star campaign" was referring to my earlier comment on Antoine Walker's 2002 season. My point is actually the complete opposite of what you thought it was; it's that, contrary to Dollar Bill, Jrue's not close to being the worst All-Star ever.

Tray reply to Tray on Apr 4 at 12:01

That said, I take slight issue with the claim that Iverson never made anyone better. I suspect, and the numbers appear to bear this out, that Iverson had a lot to do with Eric Snow's managing to be a useful NBA player in spite of not really having NBA talent. Same's true to a lesser degree of McKie. These guys would have had very different careers had they not played alongside someone who consumed so much defensive attention.

GoSixers reply to Tray on Apr 4 at 12:02

Ah - understood now - though I have to wonder if Iverson would have been picked if not voted on - fan vote is never indicative of deserving - I mean wasn't one player (Carter or Iverson?) voted a starter without even playing a game?

I think Yao still leads the league in votes.

Tray reply to GoSixers on Apr 4 at 12:08

Antoine Walker was picked by the coaches in the season I mentioned, so I think the answer is absolutely yes. Ten years ago, coaches were going to pick anyone who was top 5 in scoring. I think that's probably true today. Has anyone ever scored 27 a game and not made the All-Star team?

I'll make a bet that Jrue returns to the All Star game several more times in his career. What should the wager be?

Matt reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 11:14

I'd ask for a verifiable picture of Dollar Bill if I were you.

buke reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 12:36

Perhaps so, but another fair bet would be that his full-time team will stink whenever he makes that appearance.

You're going to have to define stink before I take that bet.

For example, they were 22-23 w/ Jrue in the lineup when he was selected to the team. Does .500 qualify as "stink?"

Matt reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 10:42

The Holidays tanked the game all on their own. That's a franchise player looking out for the best interests of his franchise.

yea...with Jrue sitting down to eat a big plate of shit every night, there is not one shining light on this team. God what a boring mediocre squad this is.

Kemba Walker & Gerald Henderson, 18-win tandem: 41 pts, 14 assists, 7 steals...Sixers guards lit up once more like a Clark Griswold Christmas tree.

Just think what Nick Young could do with 24 shots; DNPCD. I would think he's a little miffed at head coach Chip Hilton.

Our friend Derek Bodner did a writeup on Plumlee yesterday.

Statman on Apr 4 at 14:02

I read that Elias, which claims to have records back to 1954-55, says that Jrue broke the record for most FGA with 2 or fewer FGM (previous record was 2-23 by Truck Robinson in 78-79). B-R.com's game index only goes back to 85-86, and from then until now, Jrue is part of a select group of five players (including Iverson and Webber) who have had a 2-for-20+ game.

For those curious, Chris Bosh has a 1-18 game in the B-R.com index, while Elias says Mike Newlin went 1-22 in 72-73. And Tim Hardaway holds the record at 0-17. In one of the all-time lines, Mark Madsen once went 1-15 and 0-7 from 3 in 30 minutes off the bench in the last game of the season, a double OT game. Those 7 3PA were the only ones he took all that season (he was 1-16 for his career).

Back to Jrue, this marks his second embarrassing achievement this year (the streak of 4 straight 7+ turnover games, worst in the B-R.com index, being the first). On the positive side, though, he's still averaging 18 PPG and 8 APG, which in the past five years has only been done by 4 other players, all marquee names (LeBron, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Westbrook).

It's a badge of honor, like losing 20 games.

Charlie H reply to Statman on Apr 4 at 15:33

Newlin was a tremendous shooter. So is Jrue. Players have games like this.

I wonder if Bill is aware that Joe Barry Carroll, Steve Francis and Tyrone Hill played in All-Star games.

Jamal Magloire, too.

Stan reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 16:31

Funny thing about Jamal Magloire is that he lead the East in that game in points and came in 2nd for rebounds. They only lost by 4 points.

Newlin had tremendous porkchop sideburns at one stage in the 'Shaft goes Disco' 70s. Mike could shoot. Didn't win many baseline-to-baseline races, though he once placed in his CA hometown Fourth of July wheelbarrow race.

Joe Barely Cares and Little Stevie Wonder Where He Went are no-brainers, for they scored muchly for awhile.

Tyrone Hill: a good reminder; not special, but always appreciated his lunchpail, no-bullshit approach to the game. Xavier of Cincinnati puts out players...Jordan Crawford, David West, James Posey, Brian Grant, Ty...not bad for a small (~4,500) Jesuit school.

and who could forget mehmet okur? i remember shaq taking the ball up the court like he was gonna cross up memo. classic.

Stan reply to joeykey on Apr 4 at 16:46

wait..Why are we entertaining this lunatic by comparing Jrue to Mehmet Okur, Jamal Magloire, and Antoine Walker? Jrue is the only bright spot on this team and I refuse to let his reputation be sullied because of one bad performance and the ramblings of a mad man.

i was just reminiscing about forgettable all-stars. this thread sort of devolved into that. i'm confused; do i need to apologize, stan?

Stan reply to joeykey on Apr 4 at 17:02

To Jrue, yes.

One bad performance?!? Stan, I thought you were a Haverford College alum. Adherence to a Quaker honor code would revise that number by +20.

"Ramblings of a mad man"... do you write for Harlequin Books?

Actually, in the Dollar Bill lexicon of hypocrisy and basketball judgment Jrue's three games prior to this one were "good" because he showed up in the fourth quarter and basically won the games with his scoring and/or defense. This one was the only bad game when scored on the scale you apply to every player not named Jrue or Iguodala.

That's only your overlay. Jrue maintenance.

Actually, no. Those were bad games for him on my scale. My scale is based on logic. Yours is based on hatred.

Hatred? No, just a dislike of bad basketball, annointment of immature players, blatant coach favoritism, media go-along and attempted whitewashing of neon-sign truths, i.e., Jrue Holiday is not yet a player to whom a winning organization would entrust a featured, leadership role; square peg..., so far.

Last 5 gms: 25 for 86 FG shooting. 29%.

Season: 23 of his 70 GmSc's are under 10 - (my scale) 'garbage games' batting average: .328, nearly 1 in every 3.

Tortured logic: "Jrue is too crafty for his own good around the hoop." Don't you mean something else there, Brian? Euphemisms can be confusing.

Also, I've seen your "logic" in full flower in your running "analysis" of Turner and Hawes. A computer you're not. And that's a good thing.

I don't have the energy to argue this every day, but there is a legitimate thought behind the too crafty for his own good thing. When he gets close to the hoop, he uses moves to get his shot up and off the glass clean, rather than using power moves which are more likely to draw contact. For example, when he's on the right side of the hoop, with the shotblocker coming across the lane, he'll sort of cross up the shotblocker and use his left hand to quickly get the ball off the board. it's unexpected, and the shotblocker almost always over-runs the block, for lack of a better term. It's crafty and it works. He's typically a solid finisher on the inside, but it's also a tactic to avoid the confrontation. Without the physical confrontation of going into contact, you don't get the whistles. That's what I mean by too crafty for his own good. He's got a whole host of moves designed to get his shot off clean, and he's good at converting on those moves, but he'd probably be better off if he put those in his back pocket a higher percentage of the time and just made an aggressive move for a dunk even when a shotblocker is in the neighborhood. He'd get to the line more.

Stan reply to Dollar Bill on Apr 4 at 17:32

I love the google searches you lead me to

Harlequin Books:

"Kaylee is just your average girl shopping at the mall with friends—until a terrified scream bursts from her that cannot be stopped. Taken to a hospital ward, will she be able to save her mind—and her life?"

"Aside from the whole "I scream when someone is about to die" thing, Kaylee Cavanaugh's life has gotten better. She's getting to know her dad, doing okay in school and has a hot new boyfriend who understands her in every way. Until the hellion Avari starts tempting everyone with an exotic new drug—demon's breath"

"The entire school's talking about the gorgeous new math teacher, Mr. Beck. Everyone except Kaylee Cavanaugh. After all, Kaylee's no ordinary high-school junior. She's a banshee—she screams when someone dies"

"Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.

"But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life…."

You really have an extensive reading list.

Stan reply to Stan on Apr 4 at 17:35

Also:

Harverford college and Quaker code:

"In 1896, the students and faculty of Haverford voted to adopt an Honor Code to govern academic affairs. Since 1963, every student has been allowed to schedule his or her own final exams. Take-home examinations are also common at Haverford. These exams may include strict instructions such as time limits, prohibitions on using assigned texts or personal notes, and calculator usage. All students are bound to follow these instructions by the Code."

Wait - they give take home tests and expect people not to cheat? Sure that's likely

I skipped that one, Stan. But thainks for the excerpt. I hope Kaylee has good fortune, attends Haverford.

Stan reply to Dollar Bill on Apr 4 at 19:32

Hopefully she'll get a letter of recommendation from that cute math teacher.

I wish I met you sooner. I would have definitely gone to Haverford College. They have this 4+1 engineering program that gives you admission to UPenn's MS program if you maintain a 3.0 gpa.I guess it wasn't meant to be.

My apology to readers for the double send and misspelling...I guess Jrue's rubbing off some.

this from Grantland's NBA Shootaround:

"While center Nikola Vucevic (who pulls down 11.6 rebounds per game) has often been mentioned as the most valuable piece the Orlando Magic scooped up in the Dwight Howard/Andrew Bynum deal, Harkless will be the player the Sixers most rue coughing up in that shockingly disastrous trade. Philadelphia coach Doug Collins, for one, has reportedly been "consumed" with tracking Harkless's box scores — although his asinine distrust of rookies probably would've prevented Moe from being anything beyond a practice-squad corpse for the Sixers. But it's enjoyable to imagine Collins seething with rage as Harkless stuffs yet another stat sheet, sort of like a Facebook-lurking ex-boyfriend watching his former squeeze traipsing through Tuscany with her chiseled new beau. Even though Philly's acquisition of Bynum was universally lauded at the time, Sixers faithful must now live life as if a young, affordable core of Jrue Holiday, Harkless, and Vucevic were never a possibility. And it's only going to get worse."

Don't think Voose is really much of a regret, honestly. Good for him for having a solid year (and probably a solid career), but I don't think having him in the middle is a recipe for success. Harkless could turn into something, too early to tell.

Stan reply to joeykey on Apr 4 at 17:01

5 years from now I just can't imagine myself saying "what if we had kept that core of Harkless, Vucevic, and Holiday together?"

tk76 reply to Stan on Apr 4 at 20:09

No, we will be too busy hoping we win the lottery with the 10th worse record.

tk76 reply to tk76 on Apr 4 at 20:11

And complaining about Jrues next contract and hoping Hawes will retire.

"Ramblings of a mad man"... do you write for Harlequin Books

Jrue soils himself; needs no assistance. Keep your eyes peeled.

eddies' heady's on Apr 4 at 23:05

Heartfelt thanks goes out to the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame committee for finally doing something they should have done 20 years ago and inducting Guy V. Lewis on Monday night at the Final Four. One of the first to ever recruit African-American players, trailblazer he was.

Kudos Guy, thankfully you're blessed to still be alive to witness it. 87 years left but this will arguably go down as the "Induction of the Century"; an apt description akin to his architecture in '68.

...so are Brian Derek and I the only guys left here who are under like 90 yrs old??

I'm closing in on 90.

So another player joins the "ACL club". Rose, Rubio, Shumpert last year, Rondo, Noel, Barbosa, Lou Williams and now Gallinari this year.

This is a very alarming trend and the NBA needs to do something about it.

Matt reply to Xsago on Apr 5 at 9:17

I completely missed Lou's injury.

What could the league possibly do about knee injuries? The only possible avenue I see is if you can prove a certain technology in sneakers is making them more likely and then regulating that, but I haven't seen/heard anything like that.

Well i am not an expert, but they need to figure out what are the reasons that are causing these injuries. The amount of ACL tears in the past few years is much much higher than in previous years. I don't know if it's the sneakers, the rules that allow certain type of plays or something else, but they need to start figuring out what is the actual reason for these injury. Because it's the same injury again and again and it's the kind of injury that rarely happened in the past as far as i know. The fact that it rarely happened in the past suggests that the reason is something new.

The biggest problem i see is that they pay a ton of money in helping the rehabilitation process, but nothing is being done to prevent this to begin with.

Bigger, stronger players playing the game faster than ever. I don't think it's any more complicated than that. The sneakers are the only material difference I can think of. I mean, I guess you could outlaw jumping and changing direction, but other than that, I don't see how you're going to protect ACL's.

3d printers making shoes molded to feet

mymanjrue reply to Brian on Apr 5 at 15:52

PEDs?

More of them? :)

Yeah, they could be more stringent. Simmons wrote something about what a joke their testing system is. Guys know when they won't be tested again in a season. I think a lot of guys on the Clippers especially need to piss in a cup.

For basketball players, the best way to avoid ACL injuries is to learn how to land properly. Follow these three simple guidelines to stay safe on the court.

Avoid placing excess stress on your toes and forefeet when jumping or landing, to prevent knock knees
Land with your knees and hips bent to absorb impact
Keep your upper body upright during landing

No matter how much you practice proper technique, you’ll never be able to land properly every single time during a game. That’s why it’s important to strengthen your lower body with exercises that improve stability. Multi-joint exercises like the Squat are perfect for ACL injury prevention because they improve knee stability.

In Rose's case, he was doing something no human should ever be able to do. Off-balance, full speed, change-of-direction off one foot. He did shit like that all the time, but it's really not something human body should be able to handle.

And that is probably the issue - with increased athleticism and exercise technology people are doing things and pushing the body beyond its parameters - (did you know women were more prone to ACL injuries than men? I didn't until today) - and I doubt that these 'acl preventetive' exercises are being done either.

It seems that the way to prevent ACL injuries would be for guys to stop doing certain things that they don't wanna stop.

When you think about it - it makes Iversons mostly injury free career even more remarkable