Bad Team vs. Sinking Average Team

sissy foul

missed the ft

et 3

good pass mcw to hawes

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 21:14

Frenetic pace to start here. Whirlwind.

mcw block!

bad outlet pass

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 21:16

MCW weakside block on Ty.

2 on thompson

2 on hawes

keeping him in

hawes to the line

3 on Hawes in the first 5:45. That's not great. And a tech.

That wasn't a foul.

Actually they gave the foul to MCW. I need to switch over to the Sixers feed.

3 on hawes

and a T

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 21:22

Spencer running his mouth after his 3rd, T'd up. Sit down man.

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 21:22

Changed the foul to MCW, not Hawes.

foul now called on mcw

So wait - who was the foul on?

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 21:25

For a while there it was fun watching these guys play, and maybe every random game now and then it is, but it pretty much sucks watching these guys play now. Particularly their matador
porous D.

Really bad basketball played at a really fast pace. I kinda wish they played slower, less terrible possessions to watch.

mcw tips in his miss

No reason he shouldn't attack Lawson like that on every possession.

Turner in the lane. Brick. No one fills the lane. Hickson easy dunk as the trailer.

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 21:28

Lavoy just stood there and watched Hickson dive down the lane and throw that one down. Fucking bum he is.

et to the line

2 on chandler

I think that might've been a block by Turner, prior to Chandler hitting the jumper in his face.

thad jumper

when he gets healthy i hope moultrie takes all of lavoy's minutes

Nice steal by MCW to start the break.

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 21:30

MCW had too much oomph on that oop pass to Anderson.

Thought it needed more air under it.

raptors beat the pacers to get to 15-15 on the year

9-3 since the rudy gay trade

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 21:34

Anderson 3.

anderson 3

Fuck. The whistles are going the wrong way in this one. Faried shoved Lavoy out of the way, no whistle, then they call the touch foul on the shot.

wroten putback

good charge taken by williams

that wont count

down 6 end of the 1st

That was late.

24-30 after one.

Try to count how many high percentage looks the other team gets on the Sixers every quarter. It's amazing. It's like Brown has designed his defense to allow as many points as possible.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Jan 1 at 21:43

I've been wanting to believe that lately too. But as soon as I tell myself that I think why would he contribute or help create such bad habits with so many young players.

wroten and 1

missed the ft

lavoy 3!

nuggets in the penalty

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 21:45

If not for obvious tanking, why the hell do they keep trotting Brandon Davies out there? Wish they'd sign Richard Howell from Idaho (or can they sign him or do the Blazers have his rights?). Howell has a much better IQ and is a straight beast on the glass.

mcw to the line

sissy 3

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 21:48

Hawes 3.

mcw fouled shooting a 3, bad shot

p/r causing a ton of problems

I think if there were 2 players who I never had to see play basketball again in my life, number one would be Evan Turner. Number 2 would be Brandon Davies. Every time that guy takes the floor I try to figure out why he's in the NBA, and there never seems to be a believable answer.

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 21:56

They've gotten so many high percentage looks in this half-quarter I've seriously lost count. Was trying to count them.

Agree on the p&r problems. Shitty non-existent rotations, no weakside help, and definitely no rim protector (looking at you Hawes).

good move thad

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 21:58

Like I said a few posts up, the only believable answer for Davies has to be tanking - by default. There's no other answers left.

live with the foye long 2

thompson tip in

good block spence

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:01

Giving up a 60 pt half seems to be the norm nowadays. They're well on their way again tonight.

3 on mcw

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:02

Thad 3.

thad 3

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:05

Bad shot Thad.

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:06

Hollis 3.

thompson corner 3

They're going to have to send Hollis to the 87ers.

hollis putback

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:07

ET and-one.

Wroten is giving Lawson his right. Seriously playing him like he's a lefty (and getting stuck on screens like glue).

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:09

They keep this up and they're gonna win 2 in a row. ha

up 12

Turner hero ball!!! Just what I've been waiting for.

68-56 at the half.

44 points in the second quarter. That's fucking hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.

up 12 at the half

44 points in the 2nd quarter

68 for the half

Win today and we move into a tie with Brooklyn, Cleveland, Orlando, are a half game better than the Knicks, 1.5 games better than Utah, 3 games better than Milwaukee, just a half game worse than Sacramento.

Those overtime wins don't matter, though.

Tray reply to Brian on Jan 1 at 22:30

No, I never said that. I just said it was encouraging, in the long term, that we couldn't win a game in regulation for a month and a half. Look, obviously as a statistical matter a team that has a .300 record but has won almost all of its games in overtime isn't likely to keep its .300 record for very long. If a team only ever won games by 1 or 2 points while it regularly lost games by 10 or 20, we'd say that was a very bad team. Well, it's all the more true if a team only wins games in overtime, because an OT win is an even weaker win than a 1-point win in regulation.

That's great. 5 overtime wins sinks you when you have 5 teams racing to the bottom. That's the point. Just like 5 overtime losses sinks you when you're racing teams for the #1 seed. They may be statistical outliers, but there's no solace in being the worst team statistically with the fifth-worst record because of stupid close wins.

bad shot evan

Turner brick on the first shot of the half. Looks like a loose ball foul on the board by Denver. Tough to tell over this ridiculous accent in the ancillary screen.

mcw should of kept driving

passed to thad to soon

3 on spence.

mcw puts in his miss

et jumper

mcw o-board leads to a sissy 3

bad shot evan

nice charge taken by thad

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:36

Thad takes a charge. MCW is fortunate that he did because he was lax getting back on D after missing his runner. He was casually jogging back. Can't have that.

Well, you can have that if your coach doesn't care about defense and your GM wants you to lose. Then that's exactly the type of thing that's needed.

Thad.

good move thad

nice outlet by thad

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:40

Anderson blocks Foye's 3, then leaks out for a dunk.

Thad with a one-handed board and long pass for what should've been an assist. Pretty play.

man oh man that thad young fellow just might be a keeper

Stupid pass by MCW. Too cute. Actually should've just gone up with it, he was ahead of the wings. Either needs to pull up and see what the defender will do, or go to the hoop until he commits. Poor fast break.

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:41

MCW throws it to some guy in the front row baseline. Terrible turnover.

ET goes 1 on 3 and gets blocked.

Turner should give up after that rejection.

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:43

Sixers need a timeout. Sloppy.

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:44

ET with a lazy perimeter pass. Think Lavoy just committed a clear path as a result of it.

Great, Davies and Turner on the floor at the same time.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Jan 1 at 22:47

and Lavoy

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:46

Nice pass Turner to Lavoy.

anderson 3

I do enjoy watching Lawson shit the bed against the Sixers.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Jan 1 at 22:48

I bet you do. heh

there's your boy davies with the putback

and 20 seconds later there he is having a pass bounce off his forehead.

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:49

ET J off the curl.

up 14 end of the 3rd

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:50

Added 2 to the lead that quarter.

95-81 after 3.

95 points after 3 quarters. That's just...I don't have a word. Kudos, Nuggets.

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:54

First to 100 wins?

wroten to the line

Wroten to the line.

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 22:56

The schedule makers concocted a hose job by having us leave Cali Sunday night to go to Denver tonight and then turn around and fly back to Cali tomorrow. That makes no sense.

13 for Lavoy.

lavoy hook shot

malik doesnt want jinx lavoy's aggressiveness

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 23:00

MCW should have retreated back and challenged whatever shot attempt Nate was going to take there. Lazy D to just give the foul like that.

nuggets going small with 3 guards and chandler at the 4

thad to the line

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 23:05

Finally eclipse 100 pts with 7+ mins left. Took almost 5 mins to get 5 pts.

The Nuggets offense seems to consist of different short guys taking bad jumpers every time down the floor.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Jan 1 at 23:06

agree

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 23:06

MCW with another bad turnover.

young to anderson

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 23:07

Anderson with the reverse early dagger?

bad play mcw

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 23:12

MCW throws another one away, he was raked across the face it looked like though. Resulted in a clear path too.

good o-board by spence

drew up the hawes/et back door play, wasnt there and mcw took a bad shot

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 23:17

Turner spin move over Hickson.

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 23:18

MCW bailout at the buzzer. heh

mcw at the shot clock buzzer

ball. game.

probably win tomorrow night, too. Wonderful. Take your time with those trades, Hinkie. These wins don't count.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Jan 1 at 23:20

Nobody wants anything he has except for maybe Thad. And I'd venture to guess they actually want to hold onto him.

Oh come on. The Knicks traded for Bargnani this offseason. Someone would want Hawes. If the Gasol thing falls through we should offer him to Cleveland for Bynum. That's probably a better deal for them anyway.

I was thinking more like Thad for Bynum and an unprotected first rounder. That team is so dysfunctional, they're bound to be a lottery team for years to come. We get the honor of trading for Bynum again just to cut him and pick up a first-rounder in the process.

Tray reply to Brian on Jan 2 at 11:34

Isn't Thad sort of a really good version of Tristan Thompson? How can you play both together? They're also trying to play Bennett a little now.

How he fits is their problem.

Tray reply to Brian on Jan 2 at 12:24

But if they don't think he fits and won't have him, then it's our problem. I think they'd have more interest in Turner or Hawes, though they may feel giving up so much cap relief is too high a price for those guys.

anomiemnemonical reply to Brian on Jan 2 at 20:01

Unprotected first rounder??? Come on, no way they do that just get Thad. Even if we did take Bynum off their hands to sweeten the deal there would still be a top 10 (minimum) protection clause. Considering this draft pool, Thad's fit not being ideal with their roster, not to mention Gilbert's telegnostic powers over the lotto machine they'd be crazy to risk making the same type of mistake that the Clips made a few years ago with the Baron Davis trade, from which Cleveland got Irving at #1

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 23:22

Evan stat-padding trying to get a fast break layup up 11 with only a min to play.

MCW needs to take a quick intro class in the LouWill prevent offense

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 23:24

Sixers win 2 in a row. Sixers win! Sixerrrssssssss Winnnnnnnnn!

won by 12

face Brian's favorite non sixer in demarcus cousins and the rest of the kings tomorrow

eddies' heady's on Jan 1 at 23:30

Molly asks Evan for his evaluation if he's on his way to his 1st All-Star appearance.

Evan: "I don't know man, you've (Molly) got to hype that up, you've got to get the boys over there to hype that up for me (Mark and Malik). I've always said it's mental. Whether I make it or not, I'm on my way to being one of the best in the league."

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! That's too fucking funny.

anomiemnemonical reply to eddies' heady's on Jan 2 at 0:17

o god

anomiemnemonical reply to anomiemnemonical on Jan 2 at 0:18

I rolled my eyes so hard that my head hurts now

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but the Sixers need to make a trade already. They are bad, but there are too many other bad teams out there that are beatable. With MCW, Thad, ET and Hawes all healthy they are probably a 35+ win team this season (mostly because much of the league is bad/hurt this year.) MCW played lousy (despite 16/9/6/2) and they still were able to sleepwalk to this win against a self destructing Denver (Shaw is terrible.)

I think the bottom 6-8 teams will stay bunched to where 2 or 3 wins could make a huge difference in lottery position. This team has nearly a 500 record with MCW and is 3-2 since he returned.

Thad has to go imo. It's not just his production, which is good, it's his hustle. He's inspiring some of these losers to outperform their sorry talent. I'd prefer if Hawes and Thad were moved, but if Hinkie doesn't do something soon, they're going to pile up too many wins.

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Jan 2 at 10:23

And 35 wins in the East is a guaranteed playoff spot, easily. Of course, I don't see them winning quite that many if the roster does in fact stay the same (mainly because of the atrocious defense and how they hold out players for minor bumps and bruises for too long). I just casually perused the schedule last night, and without thinking too hard or too much on each game and opponent, I came up with them ending with 25-26 wins. I had them with a for-sure 15 wins by the end of January.

Agree on MCW playing like crap last night even though his line leads you to believe differently.

@Brian - I have a tough time believing why a GM would just strip a team down bare leaving himself with nothing but a ton of hopefuls (that may or not pan out) and no established players or veterans. That's why I mentioned last night that I'd venture to guess they would like to hold on to Thad.

I guess I'm saying why get rid of him when you're less likely to find someone better, or better suited to fit within what you're trying to do (Thad isn't a high maintenance player and doesn't demand or have to have the ball and is still effective without it). All of these guys being hyped up are no sure things to pan out after moving up a level (this draft and the next few to follow) so why throw all your eggs into that basket only to see some crack when you could just hold on to a decent player, a good locker room presence, and a fine example for others of how to succeed in this league?

I realize everyone will say "to accumulate assets" but why just assume that, say a Thad, isn't an asset already accumulated (that can help you a year or two down the road, or that can be flipped for something more beneficial a year or two down the road)?

It's not that I don't like Thad, or think he's a valuable asset. I just think having him will preclude being bad enough to get a shot at a franchise-changing talent. And I mean, that has to be the goal. They've already stripped this roster down to nothing.

In terms of getting worse, I think unloading Hawes is the first logical move. The three-point shooting has been a revelation, and has made him crucial to this team's (relative) success. Replace him with Lavoy and Davies and I think this team gets much worse.

Hawes should have value on his own to contenders as a third big, but if his value is maximized in a deal where he's packaged with Thad, then by all means get it done. I'd love to hold onto Thad (especially now that he's starting to shoot threes), but I understand that getting a high pick is the ultimate goal here.

It's crazy that a healthy Thad, MCW, and Hawes are good enough to be considerably better than the worst team in the league. I didn't see that coming heading into the year.