What's the pitching matchup tonight?

Hughes vs. Kazmir. The Yanks are resting A-Rod, Jeter, Abreu and Melky. Let's hope the young kids can scratch a few runs across early. Frankenstein is playing first.

Is Betemit starting for A-Rod or Jeter? Who else do they have starting?

Betemit's at third, Alberto Gonzalez is at short. Sardinha is in right and Molina is catching.

JJ,

Are you watching the Phils? They're up 6-0 and the Mets are losing 3-0 w/ Pedro on the hill. That's a great race going on right there.

What's the score in the Yankees game? How's Hughes doing?
(I can only get in the Phils/Atlanta game... Phils just went up 6-0 in the 3rd... Burrell just knocked in a two run homer off John Smoltz. )

What a night for the PHils! You rarely see Smoltz get hit like he's been....he's still a great pitcher at 40. And thanks for news on the Mets. Looks like the Nats are playing the role of spoiler... thank you Nats. Just don't do it next week vs. the Phils.

Carlos Pena just hit a bomb, that was the first hit Hughes has given up. 1-0 Tampa. Kazmir looks good.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 20:20

Hughes actually looks very decent. 63 pitches thru 4, just 5 more than Kasmir, and except for the mistake to Pena, his line is almost as good as Kasmir's. Not too shabby, considering our lineup is half-baked tonite.

He's using more of his pitches tonight. I've seen a ton of change-ups and even a few sliders. Plus, he's spotting his fastball. They just need to get to Kazmir.

with the offense the Yanks have, 1 - 0 is nothing. No worries.

Just curious....you're an Eagle fan, a Sixer fan, was your dad a native Philadelphian, and did you follow the Phillies growing up too?

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 20:32

Well, at least we make him through pitches (before striking out). Maybe he'll be out by 7th, and we'll get some vintage Al Reyes, circa a week ago?

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 20:35

Pete Abe says Kazmir was on a pitch count and is probably done. Bring on the TB BP.

JJ,

Yep, my dad grew up in Philly, I followed the Phillies until Mattingly broke in w/ the Yanks. The I watched the Yanks on the black and white TV in the kitchen until I converted my dad into a Yankee fan. I still like the Phils, if I have to root for an NL team, it's them.

Mike,

Kazmir can't go too deep into this game. I'm hoping we'll see a few pinch-hitters late in the game, and maybe Dan Wheeler too!

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 20:39

Wow, that last Hughes pitch was cool, with the bottom dropping out. How could you not swing at that.

He's going to be in the 90's at least by the end of this inning. I'd like to see the Yanks get something going off him.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 20:43

That was a good first MLB hit for AG. Sardina is all jealous.

There we go!!! RBI double for Damon, 1-1.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 20:45

Nice! Kazmir got tired of striking people out. Has Damon been on fire or what. I so hope he takes this into October.

Is Steve Donahue an albino? He looks like a ghost in that white shirt.

Wow, 10 Ks for Kazmir. That was his 99th pitch, he's done. Bring on the pen!!!

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 20:55

Elsewhere, how about them Mets and Phillies. Those scores just might hold up, making for some interesting headlines tomorrow.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 20:56

Sterling is convinced Sardina is making PS roster. That was a good catch.

I wouldn't argue with Sardinha on the PS roster. He'd be a nice late-inning defensive replacement, and Joe LOVES having a pinch-runner on the bench. Unfortunately, I think that means Frankenstein is left off.

Could you imagine if the Mets missed the playoffs altogether? The papers/radio would have a field day.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 20:58

ok, we get Switzer, 7.27 ERA. Can we get it to go up a bit?

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 21:01

Come on, don't take him out please. We like him.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 21:03

Elsewhere, Becket doesn't exactly look like a CY Young today.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 21:06

Loving that TB BP. They live up to the hype.

NICE! The flying Molina with a clutch bleeder single up the middle. 3-1 Yanks.

Now Hughes for the 7th, Joba for the 8th, Mo for the 9th.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 21:13

Haven't been paying much attention to Phil's fastball speed today. How's it been, you know?

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 21:14

Beautiful game by Phil today. Way to go, Franchise!

88-93, mostly right in the middle around 90-91, but he's been putting it exactly where he wants, and it's had nice movement away from the lefties. This was an impressive start for him.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 21:26

Joba time! From all pitchers we got, I have to say I look forward to seeing Joba the most, followed by Mo, followed by Wanger.

For me it's Joba, Mo and then Hughes/Kennedy. I like seeing what the young guys can do.

Mo's in the dugout, I wonder who gets the 9th inning. They aren't going to use Joba for 2 tonight, no way.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 21:31

True, loved Kennedy when he pitched.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 21:34

Joba's FB velocity a bit down, no?

Yeah, 94-95. I have a feeling he was hammered last night in the celebration. He just threw one 98.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 21:40

Yeah, baby!!!

Uhh. That was impressive. His last 5 fastballs were: 98, 98, 97, 98, 97.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 21:42

Tough situation - unfazed. Test passed.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 21:45

Elsewhere, Joel Pinero shuts out the Mets for SL. Another nice move by Theo.

Phew. Pedroia just choked with the go-ahead run on second in the bottom of the eighth. 5-4 Twins over Sox.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 22:01

Nathan did the job. Lots of folks here in SF were pissed when he left the Giants. He was good then, still good now.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 22:06

Nice job Jose. Secured yourself a spot. Good game tonite. Didn't expect it, frankly, with Kazmir going and our AAAA lineup.

Well said.

That Nathan trade may have been the worst in the history of the game. Liriano, Nathan and Boof Bonser for A.J. Pierzynski.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 22:10

I hope I didn't just jinx Nathan, though.

Have no fear. Varitek and Youkilis both choked with the bases loaded. Minny holds on for the win.

Mike from Bay Area on Sep 27 at 22:40

Cool, just got back and checked the game log. Nathan ruled.