Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 18:46

Let's go, people, break the comments record. Maybe that's what's been giving our Yanks the boost.

Go Yanks!

Fifteen minutes!!! Anyone watching this horrible pregame on TBS?

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 19:29

I'm at work and my Slingbox player is acting up, so will have to catch a few innings on the radio.

TBS has got to be the worst. I don't remember it being that horrible last year on ESPN. Then again, I tried to push the last year out of my head so I actually don't remember if ESPN coverage was any better.

Does the slingbox work on an iPhone?

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 19:37

I think there's been some movement/announcements there. Not sure if it currently supports it.

The crowd is nuts, let's give them something to cheer about.

I see 1-0...what happened...?
What's The Comments record....?

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 19:47

Can't see the game, but appears Wang is shaky tonite? First inning jitters, I hope.

83 is the record. Sizemore led off with a bomb for the run.

Prezs2ReprsntMe on Oct 8 at 19:50

how did he hit that shit...

Unreal.

That national league lineup is looking pretty good against wang

Damn that Grady Sizemore!

Prezs2ReprsntMe on Oct 8 at 20:14

yes he got hit because you can take a 95 mph fastball to the finger and then come back and catch next inning. s uch bullshit

His right knuckle was definitely swollen. Maybe that happened before (or after the ball hit the bat), but it was bigger than his left knuckle for sure.

Please. The ball hit his bat, clear as day.

Raining hard up here in North Jersey...our weather hits The Bronx about 5 minutes later...

Prezs2ReprsntMe on Oct 8 at 20:25

1. another little dinker into the OF for an rbi, they must practice these.

2. theres no way even with HD you can honestly say his knuckle was swollen f rom watchin on tv.

Then he has a naturally swollen right knuckle. That's all I'm commenting on. I didn't say it didn't hit his bat, just that his knuckle is swollen. Something worth pointing out, I thought.

Matsui, Cano and Melky....let's chip away...get one or two runs back right now.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 20:38

As I was driving home and listening on ESPN, Miller and Dusty said they clearly saw the ball hit the bat, not the hand.

All right, here we go, the comeback begins.

It was obvious, Mike. No question about it.

Here comes the rain.

It was a short little storm...should stop soon...Doug has been hitting well of late...

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 20:46

Not sure whose favor the rain be in for.

We want Byrd in there.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 20:49

Ok, we'll take that. No some Bobby magic here please.

Prezs2ReprsntMe on Oct 8 at 20:49

YEA good thing mike lowell isnt playing third...

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 21:05

Moose is doing great, but the pitch count a bit high. Need him to go deep today.

This is the inning A-Rod goes yard...

We just need something to change the momentum. Moose putting up a zero or two would be a good start.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 21:08

All right, I'll take an A-Rod bomb in a crucial moment later in the game.

Prezs2ReprsntMe on Oct 8 at 21:12

ok seriously, byrd fucked up at least 5 pitches in that inning, and we got zero runs.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 21:12

They're just waiting to explode. Can't wait too long, though.

Moose is definitely getting squeezed. Byrd is getting the corners, he isn't.

Prezs2ReprsntMe on Oct 8 at 21:18

moose is doing well, they need to f*ckin score before the rafaels come in...

Shit... I walk away for an inning to come back to find Moose in the game. Not a good omen, but he got out of the third.

It's hard to think of Byrd as Public Enemy #1. He was undrafted, got cut by the Mets, released by Atlanta, pitched in Philly (twice), was exiled to KC. He's soft spoken and every other word he seems to mention God in an interview (at least he did when he was a Phillie).

It's also hard to believe he's a 15 game winner when the Phils gave up on him...

Byrd should be out by the 6th, though. I don't recall him finishing many games when he was a Phillie.

Anyone pitching against the Yanks in the post season is an enemy, nothing personal against Byrd.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 21:21

Wtf, Moose. Trying to be too perfect with his pitches, it seems.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 21:23

Put Hafner on, right now.

That Sizemore is a really tough at bat...that was a beautiful bunt. Nothing Mussina could do but get Sizemore.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 21:24

That wasn't Sizemore bunting.

Shoot... that was another senior moment...sorry.

We need one little break here....the crowd will carry them.

Come on Moose.

Torre better be reaching for the 'pen now...pull out all of the stops....

There aren't too many stops left to pull. He's gonna have to go to Pettitte for any kind of length.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 21:40

Every inning starts out so good, with walks or hits and they just can't drive anyone in. Maybe they're due for one big inning tonite. Against one of the Rafaels.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 21:44

Good inning, may it'll energize.

Abreu, A-Rod, Posada. Need to get to work here.

Moose didn't look bad there.
C'mon A-Rod!

I´m gonna call it now... Jim Leyritz ties it up with a 3-run homer in the 7th, Yanks win in extra innings....

I think Shelley is this team's Leyritz, so I'm with ya SML.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 21:51

This is friggin ridiculous and the time is running out.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 21:55

WTF is wrong with these effing umpires??

Here comes Veras. Questionable move I think. You can't get on Moose for this outing.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 21:58

Why you think he's taking him out, stats of the next batter?

Check that, Villone is in. This move worries me.

Good news, Byrd might be done soon.
Bad news, it sounds like Rafael Perez is
warming up in the bullpen...

What do y'all think of Villone? Can he get it done?

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:00

Oh, yeah, the Pronk is 0-5 against Villone. What are the odds Villone gives it up.

Good work by Villone. I wonder if Joe sends him out to face Martinez in the 7th.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:06

Martinez is a switch hitter. I think Villone is a one-trick pony in Joe's eyes, so I'm guessing we'll see Veras or Farns.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:07

Holy crap, how did he get that pitch?

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:08

Let's rally against the Rafaels, come on now!!!

He kept his hands back, somehow. That's what we needed, something to get us started.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:15

Let's go, now!!!!

LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:17

We have to get a couple here, we absolutely have to.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:19

Perez is shaky, finish him!!!!!!

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:20

How anticlimactic, darn it.

Sick to my stomach.

Prezs2ReprsntMe on Oct 8 at 22:23

unfuckingbeleivable. EVERYONE IS KILLING THE RALLIES! even jeter...

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:23

Shite, we had him on the ropes.

He hit that right on the nose, just right at Cabrera. Just one break, that's all it's going to take. They've been soooooooo close all night, just one break.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:27

I'm envisioning a couple of key hits for A-ROD in the 7th and 9th. Meanwhile, Farns being Farns. Great strike out there neutralized by a hit here. What else is new.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:32

6-2 was the score back in April in that crazy 9th inning comeback. So, it's not over.

Prezs2ReprsntMe on Oct 8 at 22:36

ok, 9 outs and positive thoughts, lets do this yanks!

Good job by Farnsworth..... It ain't over....

Off topic, but Buffalo is beating Dallas, 24 - 13.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:39

This here is the call they have to answer. Now, a couple of runs, 2-3 runs and we're right back in it. Just do it!!!!

I completely forgot there was a football game tonight. I'm always happy to see Romo fail.

All right Bobby, get it started.

I hate that damn Perez. He just nasty.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:46

Key hit #1 for A-ROD. Will need another one in the 9th, A-ROD, don't relax yet.

NICE!

Who will they bring in to pitch the 8th?

It might still be Farnsworth. You may have been right earlier today.

Uh, I kinda hope not. I think you're right... Joe has trusted him only for one inning at a time, now's not the time to push your luck.

Barring a caught stealing, A-Rod will come up in the 9th.

If not earlier.

When is FRANKENBOMB due up?!!!

Prezs2ReprsntMe on Oct 8 at 22:55

quality inning but were still not stringing any hits together damnit.

I doubt we'll see Shelley in the 8th. If Betancourt comes in, we'll see Giambi.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 22:57

3 runs is doable, just need to hold the fort here.

Football Update:

End of the third quarter, Buffalo 24, Dallas 13.
Time for the Nills to collapse ala the Jets this Sunday.

Correction,
Dallas has already scored seconds into the 4th...

Dallas 16, Buffalo 24.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 23:04

Mo to the rescue. Come on, Mo, shut them down.

All right Mo, let's do it buddy.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 23:06

Mow them down, Mo!

Prezs2ReprsntMe on Oct 8 at 23:10

god he's good.

That was a huge play by Jeter. I didn't see catcher's interference. It was obvious on Matsui earlier in the game.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 23:15

No interference there. I want Borowski now!!!

Betancourt's fastball is straight as an arrow. Jump on one, Johnny.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 23:20

It will be only fitting that A-ROD will be due last in the 9th, probably representing the tying run.

Let's hope he's representing the tying run.

Guys - I'm out...not our year (again)...ABTRS (anybody but the red sox)...

Hold out hope, Gerry. You may be pleasantly surprised when you wake up in the morning.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 23:30

WOW!!! My heart almost stopped.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 23:31

Come on people, nothing is over until the last out is made.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 23:42

This now officially sucks. Oh, well. It's just a game, right?

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm probably going to be away for a day or two, my wife is going to be induced tomorrow afternoon. This one's going to sting for a while, and I think tonight truly was the end of a Yankee era.

Mike from Bay Area on Oct 8 at 23:45

Good luck Brian.

Prezs2ReprsntMe on Oct 8 at 23:46

yea thanks for the heavy duty blogging and good luck man

Thanks Mike. We'll pick up the pieces and start talking about next year in a couple days. The 2007 baseball season is officially over.

Thanks for being part of it Prez, it was my pleasure.

Shit. The Cowboys pull out a last second victory, 24-22.

Every game goes the opposite of the way I want it to. Every single game, with the exception of last night's.

paxton on Oct 9 at 0:42

was there a baseball game today? i was watching the knicks clobber the sixers woo hooo go knicks what a day to be a new york fan !!!!

Brian, great blog. Too bad it had to end this way. See you next season.

ron hall on Oct 9 at 16:25

This is one of the best days of my life...Yanks fans have more wine today than france

brandon on Oct 9 at 23:07

They should have gotten rid of Torre five years. The guy is brutal. He needs to go.

Bring on Bobby Valentine!!!!!!

Let Arod go. Let Mo go. Let Jorge go. Forget about Clemens. Give Mussina away. Give Giambi away. Bring up some more youth, and try to build a stronger bullpen.

Don't forget what an amazing turnaround this team had in the second half of the season. Everyone counted them out, and yet they finished with the wild card and with a .290 batting average, one of the highest team batting averages in the modern era. They were a run scoring machine!

Yankee fans are so used to being in the playoffs, they sometimes forget how hard it is to get there in the first place. They did a great job. They have young arms and young talent. Clemens and Mussina won't be back, (my assumption), so they will get even younger.

The future looks good for the Yankees.

"This is one of the best days of my life..."

Pretty sad life, then...

The #1 sign of a loser is taking joy in other people's misfortunes.

I wish all 4 of the remaining teams in the playoffs good luck. And yes, that includes the Red Sox. The Yankees were beat by a better team, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

And most of all, I'm glad that I stopped having the mentality of a 10-year old, like most sports fans have. Watching people's reactions to the Yankees lose, even people who aren't Indians, Red Sox, or Mets fans, really proved to me how stupid and immature the VAST majority of sports fans are.

Some (and I emphasize the word "some"...not "all") Boston fans were saying stuff like "I dont even care if the Red Sox win the ALCS, I'm just happy the Yankees lost". Is that not the most pathetic thing you've ever heard? Some Red Sox fans would prefer to see the Yankees lose than to see their own team win?

Also, wouldn't the Red Sox have rather played the Yankees? Considering, you know, that the Indians are the better team and it will be tougher for them to advance to the World Series...

Not to sound like I'm too negative on the Yankees or whatever, but they proved what the regular season showed. They were the third-best team in baseball (according to win-loss record), and they got beat by the second-best team. Making the playoffs in MLB is hard, and any team that makes the playoffs should be proud. Sure, losing in the Division Series sucks, but it's a good way of identifying where your problems lie, and what you can do to correct them

Maybe I'm rambling, but I guess I'm just not ready to push baseball aside just yet...

By the way, congrats on the new baby Brian, and thanks for all the work you've done on the blog. I stumbled upon it late in the season, and it was always a great read, written by a passionate, yet reasonable, baseball fan.