It would be great to get Elton Brand, and losing Carney and Booth wouldn't be too much of a loss, with all due respect to their abilities. Getting Brand would make this trade, the Korver trade and even the Iverson trade all worthwhile.

Based on what I read on Yahoo it is done and will include Carney, Booth, and a future number 1 for the trade exception.
As a TWolves fan this is a shrewd move by McHale. They will cut Booth I assume, and Carney could crack the rotation. They weren't going to use the exception anyway, and get a number 1 to boot.
My guess is the number 1 might change your opinion on the deal?

Joe reply to KRM on Jul 8 at 12:31

hopefully the #1 is the Utah pick.

It has to be, doesn't it? I hope whatever pick it is, it's lottery protected.

If it's for Carney and Booth alone it's a good deal for the T-Wolves, add in the first rounder and it's a great deal. The trade exception is a use it or lose it type thing, they aren't going to use it to contend this season, so using it to stockpile a pick, maybe pick up an asset in Carney and pick up a garbage expiring contract in Booth is a stroke of genius. Too bad McHale couldn't find a way to help out Boston with it.

Yup, KRM is right. Yahoo says the deal
is done.

This is great news but it's only half the battle; first you have convince Brand to sign. Then if he doesn't, pray the hawks don't match for Smith.

Come on Brand, you know you want to come to Philly.

If they don't land Brand, I'm not sure they throw the whole pile of money at Smith. I'm not sure they have to. Atlanta wants to keep him, but how high will they go? I thought it was questionable they'd match $11M/year, $15M/year might be overkill. There might be some kind of sign-and-trade involved at a lower price, although I'm not sure who the Sixers would send down to ATL. I read somewhere that it might be Thad but that makes zero sense and I dismissed it right away.

Alex K. on Jul 8 at 11:51

As an Atlanta Hawks fan, I sincerely hope you get Elton Brand.

Best of luck.

Me too, but if it isn't Brand it's going to be a full-court press on Smith. You better hope your ownership has it's priorities straight.

I still have my doubts that theyll get brand but with about 14.5 15 mil in cap space there is no way the hawks would match that offer for smith. I wonder if Eddie could get JR Smith from denver for our utah first or something like that to fill the need for a shooter now that carney's gone. Brian you dont think atlanta would match a deal starting at 14 or 15 mil do you?

If they pay that much for Josh Smith they're heading into the luxury tax stratosphere with Joe Smith and Bibby coming into free agency soon enough. I'd be shocked if they matched an offer that started at $14 or $15M. Whether or not the Sixers should, or need to go that high is another matter. Let's see what happens with Brand before we start talking about Smith.

Alex K. reply to Steve on Jul 8 at 16:06

I'm sure they don't.

I'm making BRAND/SIXERS picket signs to hand out in Philly.

Why? So we get money but no guarantee of a signing of either Brand or Smith or Iggy for that matter. Say we miss on both guys and Iggy gets lured away by another team and then we still have no options for the 2. Getting money is a big deal and it would probably allow us more room to secure Lou and Iggy but I would much rather see Green go than Carney who is a freak and still getting better. Oh yeah, and the whole issue with how we got in this mess is because we would routinely trade away picks for older players past their prime, so I don't like giving up a 1st rounder at all.

Max reply to Aaron on Jul 8 at 12:37

I don't think anything is set in stone yet. You can't finalize a trade until the 9th (12am tonight). So it's entirely plausible they are keeping this verbal deal with the wolves in place for negotiating flexibility. Everyone is waiting for the cap figure to be set tonight so that they can negotiate salary ceilings. Once this happens they should know quickly whether Brand is serious about coming here. If he is they can use the wolves deal to help the cause.

I would much prefer shedding willie over the current rumored deal. But if I'm the wolves - why in the world would I take Green? He is older now and they already have a sucky starter in Brewer. Carney and the 1st provide extra upside. Trade exceptions are worth something in today's league. You have to give up something to get something in return.

In my mind, a future 1st and rodney carney is worth it if they land Brand. Look at his stats over the years. The man has averaged 20 and 10 over his entire career. Players of Brands stature don't just fall off trees.

Max reply to Aaron on Jul 8 at 12:37

Aaron reply to Max on Jul 8 at 12:50

I understand give up something to get something, but Mchale isn't exactly hard to bargain with. I think you might have been able to dump salary in different ways maybe not involving a pick. If it lands Brand/Smith then no harm, I can part with Carney to get one of them but Id rather get something better in return besides just cash so I guess we'll see with what the official deal is.

Max reply to Aaron on Jul 8 at 12:40

oops; fatfingered a double post ;)

If it's the Utah pick, it's not that big of a deal. Probably going to be a pick in the mid-twenties which isn't really worth that much.

As for what to do with the money, that's a good point. Don't worry about Iguodala, they can go over the cap as much as they'd like to sign him, they have bird rights and he's a restricted FA, so no matter how much some other team wants to overpay for him, the Sixers can, and probably will, match. The only worry with him is timing, if he signs an offer sheet at midnight tonight, the Sixers are screwed. Hopefully he'll realize that if he's getting offers from other teams there will be some communication so the Sixers can make the moves they need to with the cap space, then sign him long term.

Hmm...interesting. Carney was very good off the bench for the sixers so they better get brand or smith or its a bad move. I do NOT want to see Nenad Krstic on this team. Ive been to plenty of net games and I can tell you first hand...when he was healthy he was awful under pressure. Think a 7 foot foreign keith van horn. And we all know the KVH era in Philly was one of the most painful to watch in sixers history.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Krstic. This summer has to end up in an impact player, Brand, Smith are options 1 and 1A. Maybe someone we haven't even talked about yet like Amare becomes available, who knows. There's a lot you can do with that cap space. If we only wind up with Krstic I'll be extremely disappointed.

Max reply to Brian on Jul 8 at 14:31

No way stefanski pulls a billy king and signs Krstic to a willie type deal. I just refuse to believe the man is that stupid.

I'm just praying that the deal will be completed.

Brian is right, why not trying to ship Green, who makes TWICE the money Carney makes, and clear even more cap space? I understand it's difficult to find suitors for Green, but maybe not that much, he's coming off a career year and would fit in some teams in search of scoring

after all last year a bust like Calvin Booth got a 2 year deal...

if we move Carney we would have to sign a 3pt shooter lately (but assuming Brand comes, it won't be difficult to convince a Vujacic or a House, a Carroll to join that new, competitive Sixers team, right?)

Vujacic is out of the question, he'd be too expensive and the Lakers said they'll match any offers for him.

Honestly, I think with a few minor signing, this would be the team we'd be going to battle with this season plus Brand or Smith. Then next year they could use the mid-level to bring in whatever they need.

Good to see the Sixers name enter the picture for real. I like the shift toward Brand, though I'm OK with Josh Smith at this point as well. Regarding the trade, I could live with either Carney or a #1 (hopefully Utah's) for the exception, but not both. He's still learning, but Carney could be a viable starting 2 for us - certainly an upgrade from Willie. If we trade him, we have a massive hole at that position. I don't think Stefanski would make the Carney trade if he didn't have some plan for making a move at the 2 spot as well. Curious to see what it is.

Why are people under the impression that Willie Green WASN'T in the initial pitch by Stefanski? I know Sixers fans hate him, then why would another team place much value in having him? I wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota said swap Green with Carney and you have a deal. We only hear and see the final deal, not the underlying negotiations that led to it most of the time.

By the way the Sixers have a Bi-Annual exception that allows them to sign a player for one or two years at $1.91M per. I am assuming if we max out Brand, Stefanski would use that to find a shooter (Chris Quinn for example). If we don't get Brand Smith wouldn't cost as much and there would be space to find a shooter as well.

I didn't realize they had the bi-annual exception. That's big. A little wiggle room if they max out Brand to bring in a Kareem Rush type.

I think you're right about Willie Green too. If he could've unloaded him, I think he would have. That contract is an albatross, I was just saying I wish they could have.

Random thoughts.

The Carney trade creates 1.9 million in cap space I believe. We swap 2.8 in salaries for .9 in salaries essentially against the cap.

This brings our cap total up 1.9 from its previous mark around 12 or so.

I am with Dannie on the Chris Quinn thing. Someone that can shoot. CJ Miles? Someone.

Brands house is up for sale and has been for a few days.

The Sixers gave up a lot. This has to signal a start to the Brand era imo or Ed is a moron.

The official cap will be released later today, if not already. Hopefully we see a 59 and not a 57.

Minny got a steal here.

We could trade the 2.8 million dollar exception in a 1 player deal I think or something. I haven't figured this one out yet.

Joe reply to Joe on Jul 8 at 14:23

Oh yeah and of course the Sixers wanted to move Green. Why would Minny take him though? Doesn't make sense for them.

If what the one guy said earlier was correct (we give Sota Carney, Booth and a 1st round pick) I don't like that at all. Giving away Carney AND a 1st round pick would be foolish as we don't know whether Brand will even come here for starters. I still think Carney has a chance to be decent / good. And throwing a 1st round pick in there too is bad. This would be the best deal McHale ever did.

I wholeheartedly agree with moving Green instead of Carney.

I'm sure Ed does too, I don't think it was an option. I'd probably be on the phone right now with Memphis, who has coveted Carney for a while. Maybe you could just send him to Memphis for a second round pick, clear some cap space that way.

Wow, big doins. I hope this all works out and at the end of the day tomorrow we have Brand in a Sixers uni. Otherwise I don't like giving up Carney. He was really improving his shooting as the season went on, hate to see him go.

I've already been bad enough checking the internets every couple of minuets in anticipation of some Sixers news. Now with this......well i might as well just post up untill I hear something.

I've been busy at work all day, so I haven't had a chance to really think about all this stuff. I've come to the conclusion that I'm a little disappointed. We've already been through the whole Brand vs. Smith thing and I'd still rather have Smith on this team, at this time in their devlopment. I also hate the trade. Whoever said Minny probably refused to take Willie, your absouletely right, but Carney, Booth and a first-rounder for roughly 2 mill. in cap space is a steal for McHale. I still think Carney could be a stud, simly because he's one of the most athletic players I've ever seen and looked to finally be developing a jumpshot along with control, which was his biggest problem. 1st rounders are also very valuable. I think we could've packaged one for a player down the road, instead of just cap space.

All in all, I'd be happy with Brand and I'm sure I'd get over the loss of Carney, but I'd much rather see Carney stay and Smith in a Sixers uniform.

To those who are interested; Hollinger is having a chat about free agency right now.

Max reply to Max on Jul 8 at 15:35

sorry, here is the link

Just a thought but if Memphis is so in love with Carney why wouldnt we send him and why not Willie too while we are at it, it could be package deal and we could take on Kyle Lowry as our backup PG of the future or perhaps some how include our 1st round pick in getting Crittenton who played with Thad in college? I just think for what it was better deals could have been put in place.

I am baffled by the majority of people here not liking this deal. Carney's upside is a solid bench player or Bruce Bowen type starter, Booth is a stiff and Utah's pick is almost certainly never going to be higher than the mid 20's. In exchange we gain an additional 2.8 mil in cap space. Memphis could not take Booth's salary as well, which is why we dealt with Minn.

We are now looking at getting either Brand or Smith. How could anyone say no to a trade of Korver, Carney and Booth for Brand or Smith? Two role players and a stiff for an all star caliber PF? That's a great deal!

Agreed, as long as we get Brand or Smith. If this winds up being a trade for cap space so we can get Maggette and or Childress, I'm not thrilled. Mainly because I'd see that as a huge letdown for this Summer that's been built up in all our minds as the true turning point for the franchise.

JoshG reply to Brian on Jul 8 at 17:03

True Brand or Smith are the only results that will satisfy me. I don't see how either Maggette or Childress even fits on our team with Iggy and Thad.

Totally agreed. But, at the least, our chances just got a lot better. 1 day ago all our eggs were in the Josh Smith basket. Now we have a shot at Brand, and our chances for Smith grew as well. Lastly, if neither works out we still have the trade market where we can now take back 15 mil over what we give out.

I really don't think (hope) Stefanski is interested in either of those players who merely duplicate what we already have.

This train of thought has captured my feelings entirely.

The deal is a calculated gamble on Stefanski's part, and if it results in the Sixers landing Brand or Smith, then it will have been a worthwhile one. But if we wind up dumping Carney and a first round pick for nothing (note: Maggette/Childress = nothing) then it'll have backfired big-time.

In Ed we trust, right?

We have to at this point.

The Sixers should be real busy once the salary cap is officially announced. I'm excited.

JoshG reply to Jordan on Jul 8 at 17:43

I am more than excited, I'm shitting my pants with anticipation of the first move.

Great news. Now we're only a couple days away to know if this worked out like we all expected.

Local talk radio says this is a done deal essentially. I think this was a done deal 18 hours ago and was never a risk personally.

We have Brand.

Do you have a link? I can't find this anywhere.

Joe reply to Brian on Jul 8 at 19:40

Adrian W over at yahoo says "several league sources" say he is leaning to philly.

I have no link for Eskin. I am listening to 610wip.com

They are talking Sixers!! it is crazy.

Joe, who says it's a deal with Brand?

Joe reply to Morty on Jul 8 at 19:38

Eskin says so. He said "almost done, very close" referring to the Brand trade. He said the Carney deal is done and will go through tomorrow.

Adrian W. at yahoo says several league execs think Brand is coming here.

Why does Ed do this unless this deal is essentially done? If Brand doesn't come here and Smith is matched, Ed is out of a job essentially because he just traded 2 1st rounders and a 1 million dollar contract for a 2nd round pick.

Joe reply to Joe on Jul 8 at 19:43

Im pumped

I just saw that ESPN radio in Philly is reporting it as a done deal too.

This is huge. Absolutely huge, if it happens.

Joe reply to Brian on Jul 8 at 19:54

Sixers are a top 2 East Defense with this trade. They are possibly the 2nd best defense in the entire NBA.

I don't think that's an understatement at all. Their starting five does not have a weak spot on defense, in fact, they're plus defenders across the board and they have more athleticism on the floor than just about anyone.

Let's cross our fingers, hopefully we'll only have to keep them crossed for another 4 hours or so.

Man am I pumped. I been a sixer fan since I was a little kid and was too young to appreciate the 82 championship. Lets see starting lineup...
Miller-Iggy --Brand-Thad-Sammy. Brand will help turn Speights into an all star for the future.
I like it...but we still would DEFINITELY need a shooter. Maybe Eddie House or Brent Barry ? Hell I wouldnt mind seeing Ben Gordon in a Sixers uniform either. Reminds me of Andrew Toney.

JoshG reply to gdog on Jul 8 at 22:09

Gordon would come at to high of a price. I like the idea of Brent Barry though.