One More Day

Draftexpress is saying the stuff with Kahn hating Favors was overblown and that they're perfectly happy where they are. Maybe that's a smokescreen, but maybe not.

Louis Farrakhan III on Jun 23 at 2:09

A team with two good guards and zero good bigs is about to draft a guard with a broken back over their pick of two healthy bigs. And it's not the Clippers.

Jason Mess reply to Louis Farrakhan III on Jun 23 at 2:39

Please show me where his broken back caused him any problems playing the same way he did before the injury. If you want to say Cousins or Favors are going to be better that is fine. To say that his broken back is the reason not to draft him does not fly. If it had been a ACL, or something like that or even a micro fracture of the foot, I would say you have a good point. The injury he had is not the type that will cause him to loose a couple of steps or even some leaping ability, it just needed time to heal. He seemed to do just fine in March.

His back was (not is) broken. Leave it to certified doctors to decide whether or not it's chronic.

To be fair, the same certified doctors gave the thumbs up to the Elton Brand deal, didn't they?

Jeff reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 22:01

To be fair, you, nor I was present during the conversation between the team doctors and the front office personnel.

I liked your idea in your previous post about trading to get #4 and getting Favors also (that is assuming we take Turner at #2). I'd be good if we did that and took Cousins also. I'm guessing the odds of either of these happening are remote.

Barring that I wouldn't mind them purchasing a pick. I'd target Hassan Whiteside first. He has potential to be more than a warm body at PF or C. With a coach like Collin's (supposedly a good teacher) he'd have a reasonable chance of being a decent defender and rebounder.

If we get a really late first round pick or early second (I can't believe I'm going to say this) take Lance Stephenson. The guy *is* a head case but is also very talented. Assuming Collins could get through to him he could be very good (both offensively and defensively). If he becomes too much of a cancer, cut him or trade him. I'm only advocating Lance as a pick this low rarely pans out anyway and this guy at one time had all-world ability. If he busts, it isn't that much invested.

As far as trades go, I don't have much faith in Ed but a guy I'd target is Serge Ibaka on the Thunder. I'm not sure who they'd want on the Sixers as they don't have any glaring weaknesses except experience. Maybe Lou and cash considerations (isn't their owner Clay Bennett one of the least -if not the least- wealthy owners in the L)? James Harden didn't tear it up last year. A backcourt of Westbrook and Lou would probably be the most athletic in the league.

Mike P reply to Chris on Jun 23 at 3:40

Ha, why in the world would the Thunders want Lou for Ibaka?

The Thunders don't want any of our stinky players.

Rodney Buford reply to Mike P on Jun 23 at 8:30

Agreed - there is no way they are moving Ibaka. He's turned out to be quite a steal and has a lot of potential.

I really hope we can acquire a late first round pick. I like your idea of Aldrich fitting in here. It provides stability if/when the Hawes experiment fails.

I would be a lot more in favor of buying a pick and worrying about where all the pieces fall later. Perhaps Minnesota would also be willing to sell one of their first rounders?

good point. No Joe Barely cares here.

Is it better to invest a big man who cares, as opposed to those who feel compelled to play? Let's rephrase the question around the example of the NBA's most renowned hothead: Did Rasheed Wallace's temper overshadow his talent? I would argue that his technical fouls and other outbursts were a small price to pay in exchange for his production for Portland and Detroit at both ends of the floor.

Rasheed had the talent to be the best big in the game and really transform the position. I'd say the only coach who ended a season saying, "Man, I sure am glad Rasheed was on my team this year," was Larry Brown the year they won the title.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 15:24

Remember hearing Barkley say that Sheed had the talent to be the most dominant player in the NBA if he had ever fully committed himself. Sigh...Philly's finest

ryano reply to sfw on Jun 23 at 10:19

I agree. Rasheed's talent was worth living with the hot head antics on the court- and I would bet that although it was trying for the coaching staff, Rasheed's teammates liked him and responded to his enthusiasm for the game (ala Kevin Garnett). Rasheed's problem always was that he didn't want to be number one and was always asked to be early in his career. If we pick up Cousins along with Turner, I think Turner has the game and personality to be number one while Cousins adds in his 20 and 10 and fire in the lane.

I would love for this Sixers to come out of this draft with Turner and Favors/Cousins. I don't really see that happening though. The most likely scenario to me is that the Sixers buy back into the 2nd round and pick up a big body there. Hopefully it is not Zoubek though that guy is just a taller version of Jason Smith.

deepsixersuede on Jun 23 at 8:08

I read last night Whiteside may drop out of the 1st round, doubtful but if he drops to the 20!s give him a try. [Sammy #2]. Milwaukee getting Maggette may allow them to grab Sanders, a guy I would love with the Heat!s pick if he is there, but definitely a Skiles type guy. Brian, check out P.Prestes profile on draft express, a poor man!s Cousins, and an ideal physical 5 to put next to Hawes.

There are bigs available in round 2 but most seem offensive types so it may be better to target somebody in the league already. If Collins didn!t like Nucioni so much swapping him for Diop would allow Thad a good audition this year [25 minutes per?]

Collins coming up on WIP this hour. Collins likes 5 offensive threats on the court. Whiteside may be targeted if he slips.

Here's my bold prediction for the draft, though. Doug Collins talks Ed Stefanski into acquiring a late second-round pick and with that pick he takes Brian Zoubek. Zoubek fits the mold of what Collins said he needs "toughness" and what he really means, "slow white players."

I realize that the Sammy trade kind of looks like that but I'm hoping that the deal was all that was out there AND Sammy just had to go. We definitely have hit the max non-athlete limit. Any moves going forward have to upgrade our athletism. Brand, Kapono, Hawes, Nocioni, Smith, Green..........

Does anyone take collins saying that he will meet with brand AFTER the draft as a sign they may move him in a draft day trade and avoid having to talk to him if the team moves him?

sfw reply to paul on Jun 23 at 8:48

Good point. Also, I don't believe AI9 is working out this week with Sixers. With the market for small forwards out there wouldn't surprise me if AI9 is moved for a top pick if our target is available.

The Greek reply to sfw on Jun 23 at 9:08

Iguodala couldn't get people to follow him into a pool even if he told them that Kim Kardashian was there naked.

AnonymousPoster reply to paul on Jun 23 at 12:38

Collins emphasized that he wants an intelligent team. I guess that's why Sammy didn't fit.

Tom Moore on Jun 23 at 9:12

Link to blog on draft expert Chris Ekstrand's thoughts on Turner:

Shawn reply to Tom Moore on Jun 23 at 10:00

No offense to this guy nor you, but I really hate draft experts. Turner has PLENTY of downside, and based on his numbers in college, has PLENTY of upside. Draft experts put way too much weight on athleticism. If you're a basketball player with good size, and you've proven over a period of time to be a good one, you'll end up being a good basketball player. Whether or not he wants to be a superstar, that will ultimately be up to him, and that is what separates the busts and the successes.

I would rather see Thad get moved than Iggy. Iggy's defense and off-the-ball offense fit in nicely with Jrue and Turner holding the ball most of the time. Wouldn't mind moving a player for a 1st rounder next year because I still think this year will be a learning experience.

Sean(RSWKnight) on Jun 23 at 9:28

Regarding your previous "Go for Broke" idea, would it be possible that Kahn could be swayed to trade Favors for Thad, Speights and a couple future 1's? I'd prefer that over giving up Iguodala, to be honest

I don't want this team to move future number ones- you see it hurt too many teams down the line. But Thad, Speights, and even Lou? Sure thing!

By the way, did anyone else see the Chris Paul to Orlando rumor last night? If that was to happen, Howard would win the MVP next season, no doubt in my mind.

ryano reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 10:41

NJ rumored to have offered Harris + #3 for Paul. If that happens LeBron goes to NJ...FAST.

I'm not sure why NO would want Harris.

Tray reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 11:00

As they have Darren Superstar/High Turnover Rate Collison.

It was more that if they feel comfortable in moving Paul, and saving a ton of money at the PG position, why bring in another PG with a lofty price tag? Not to mention the fact that Harris can't stay on the floor.

Oh, and adding CDR and Maggette in one day is basically team suicide. Don't expect to see the Bucks in the playoffs again next season.

Tray reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 11:03

Don't they at least in theory plan on bringing back a healthy Redd? Seems to me you see how that pans out before you take on three years of Corey. Some wing scorer will always be available.

Rodney Buford reply to Tray on Jun 23 at 11:18

Salmons can opt out and Redd is hardly reliable.

I like the CDR move more though. That guy showed some real glimpses in October before injuries and brooding took over (plus coaching change). That could be a sneaky-good trade for the Bucks.

CDR is a gunner who doesn't gun very well. That's not a good combo.

Tray reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 12:32

That's what the stats say but for some reason I like him all the same.

AnonymousPoster reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 15:42

His twitter account is fascinating to follow

AnonymousPoster reply to Rodney Buford on Jun 23 at 12:37

According to numerous reports from numerous sources, Salmons IS opting out, which is probably a smart move as there's a lot of money out there this season, many teams will whiff and Salmons value this off season will probably be more than next season due to the perception that he was the one who was responsible for the turn around in Milwaukee.

Jim Jackson (a former Buckeye and NCAA POY) who has seen Turner play a lot thinks he is a lot more like Grant Hill (before his injuries) than Brandon Roy.

If that is true I'm even stoked about this pick. To me, a pre-injury Grant Hill type was easily one of the best players in the L.

Rodney Buford reply to Chris on Jun 23 at 11:15

Pre-injury he definitely was. We are talking 15 years ago at this point so that memory has faded a good bit. Hill started running into problems around 2000 right?

He got injured right after (or was it right before) he went to the Magic as I recall. The whole time at Detroit he was healthy and then it seemed he got injured right off the bat for the Magic. I think part of the problem was no one though his injury was that serious at first and he attempted to play through it and then came back too quicky.

It is a shame as he would have been an all-time player if he'd have stayed healthy.

He came back too soon for the playoffs in Detroit, right? Never gave the ankle time to heal.

Chris reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 12:05

Brian,

You are correct. If he'd have stayed off his feet for a while instead of rushing to get back he'd not have screwed up his ankle. But at the time, no one seemed to know.

Steve reply to Chris on Jun 23 at 11:43

Maybe more of a Jalen Rose than a Grant Hill

But IMO Jalen Rose would have been a star if he had Turner's Kobe-like drive and work ethic.

Jalen always wanted to look smooth, while Turner wants to be a killer. That makes a big difference on the floor- even if they have similar skill-sets.

Anyone else extremely jealous that our owner is not a Russian Billionaire or Ted Leonsis?

Stupid ass Ed Snider.

Chris reply to Mike P on Jun 23 at 15:56

I think if the Sixers were better than mediocre Snider would spend the money on them to get them over the top. The Flyers many years had the top payroll in the NHL and he'd go after top free agents even when he had other expensive parts already on the team. He spends like Steinbrenner.

I think the stinginess is due to Comcast being the controlling interest. As long as the team is mediocre (and has sh*tty attendence) they don't want to spend any money on it. If Brand had panned out, the team was winning consistenly and people were in the seats I think they'd be spending a lot more but until they get past the first round of the playoffs (and get people in the seats) they'll be cheap.

Yes, this drives me nuts but if the Sixers were to get pretty decent it can change. I do think it can be worse. OKC's owner is not that rich (he earned his the old fashioned way - he married into it). I think once Durant makes his mint you might see other teams use them as a minor league farm team as they won't be able to afford multiple stars (sort of like the rest of baseball treats the Pittsburgh Pirates or the Kansas City Royals).

Tom Moore on Jun 23 at 12:20

Nocioni on conference call about playing the 4 spot: "For me, it’s the same thing,. I like to play. I’m confident. To me, 3 and 4 are the same thing. With the Chicago Bulls, I was a 3, 4 and 5 sometimes. I had no problem at all. I like to play minutes. I know my role. I talked to coach Collins and he told me he wants to play 20, 25 minutes really hard."

Does it matter if you start? "It’s no difference for me. The best thing for me is I know my role on the team. I don’t care if I'm in the starting lineup or coming off the bench. If you have minutes and know when you're coming on the court, that’s good. I try to help. Everybody in Sacramento believes I was mad because I wasn't in the starting lineup. That wasn’t it. I'd play (a lot sometimes and a little other times). I really want to know my role on the team. I can help you if I know what I need to do."

Tom Moore on Jun 23 at 12:47

More Nocioni: "I like to play hard. I like to shoot the ball when I’m wide-open. I want to win games and be a leader on the team. I feel real excited about this. I think we can do much better than last year."

AnonymousPoster reply to Tom Moore on Jun 23 at 13:00

Did anyone ask him if he could do better than last year? Or about the falling out in Sacramento? Or about his threat to go back to Europe and if he would use a similar threat if he felt he was being misused in Philadlephia?

Or was he only asked questions sure not to offend the sixers brass?

I'd like to hear about his DUI and mullet.

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 13:08

Was only about 10 minutes. Had to pack and catch a flight back to Argentina.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 16:23

Is it even possible for one to have one without the other?

Tom Moore reply to AnonymousPoster on Jun 23 at 13:07

He said he hopes to play like he did with the Bulls. He said last year wasn't a good year, but denied any problems with coach Paul Westphal.

AnonymousPoster on Jun 23 at 13:11

Paul open to Trade

This is going to come down to ownership and money. Shinn is desperate to sell and Paul is really the only selling point on buying this team, but if Shinn can't sell, he's not going to be doing what Paul wants (trying to win) more than slashing costs.

I couldn't begin to guess what sort of deadline for sale Shinn has, nor do I believe the sixers would have the assets to obtain Paul if he were put on the market, but just an interesting thing to watch this summer. Obtaining Paul is a balance shifting move depending on which team adds him (Cleveland keeps Lebron and finds a way to get paul? Can Chris Paul run the triangle (I doubt the lakers have the assets to obtain him either though)

johnrosz reply to AnonymousPoster on Jun 23 at 15:29

Does anyone know if Pau Gasol has another brother? Maybe the Lakers can sign him to a 10 day contract and send him to New Orleans for Paul. Of course to make things fair LA would have to surrender Vujacic and Walton as well...

I really fucking hate the Lakers

AnonymousPoster reply to johnrosz on Jun 23 at 19:02

Did the Lakers force Chris Wallace and Michael Heisly to make the cost cutting trade they made?

If you want to hate someone, why not hate the people who made the bad trade? The team that gave up the great player for garbage.

Does anyone kno why we let john salmons walk?

AnonymousPoster reply to rchap13 on Jun 23 at 14:00

No one knows for sure. You could say that Billy King chose Willie Green over John Salmons as they were both restricted free agents at the same time, but that's not an apples and apples comparison, because Salmons signed for more money than Willie Green did.

My opinion has always been that the sixers felt Salmons wasn't worth the money he was asking for (I believe it was close to the MLE), and decided Willie Green was a good enough alternative (for the price). I can't say I agree with the move, but it's an old move of the previous regime and one of many questionable decisions that Billy King made as Gm.

I don't know that it would make a huge difference in the long term anyway?

But we could used him like when we had miller. He's a good three shooter and plays ok all around.

AnonymousPoster reply to rchap13 on Jun 23 at 14:26

I'm not disagreeing, nor do I understand the sixers thinking in most things. The roster was different then, and maybe they didn't see things the way you or I do. If they had made a choice my preference would have been to keep Salmons because I felt (still do) he provided more versatility (and length) over Willie Green.

I don't think keeping Salmons would have made the sixers a title contender, but since he's opting out this year he would have saved them a years salary.

I agree with what yolju said about salmons versatility and that's why I liked him too. I think he would have made a big difference though, You give the sixers the 3 shooter they needed that can also take it the hoop. He would also be able to disrupt 2 guards with his great length. We would of made it to the eastern finals.

I remember one Sixers game when the Sixers had an 8 point lead in the 4th quarter. John Salmons decided to take every remaining shot for the Sixers and missed all 13 of them. The Sixers eventually lost. During the ofseason he said his teammates were ignoring him in the locker room after the game and were blaming him for the loss. He didn't want to come back to the Sixers after that.

He also wasn't that good with the Sixers. He played 25 minutes a game and only averaged 7 pts. It wasnt until his 2nd year with SAC that he started playing well.

AnonymousPoster reply to Serir on Jun 23 at 15:39

He is 6'7 and capable of playing the point and defending better than willie green ever has, and he had one bad game where as willie green has had numerous bad games.

I would have preferred they kept Salmons over Green

However, I don't believe they would have made the ECF if they kept Salmons over Green

I was driving on City Line Ave. today and what do I see but about 15 guys in red and blue shirts walking out of Chili's across to PCOM. It was the whole Sixers braintrust: Stefanski, DiLeo (looked for Collins, couldn't find him, but I only quickly saw them). As I drove by I screamed 'Evan Turner' as loud as I could. I should have said, "Do business with David Kahn," but I was on the spot.

The Sixers braintrust eats at Chili's? I find that disconcerting.

AnonymousPoster reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 14:18

walking out of Chili's across to PCOM

I'd be more concerned if they were walking out of the chilis 25 minutes from the practice facility - at least in my mind i can see this as a matter of convenience and proximity.

johnrosz reply to AnonymousPoster on Jun 23 at 16:30

Stefanski strikes me as a guy that would be all about Chilli's. I'm sure he can dominate a plate of chicken fajitas like no other

AnonymousPoster reply to johnrosz on Jun 23 at 16:31

In my experience, living in New Jersey for as little as a month can affect one in very troubling ways.

Rich reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 14:19

I don't know why, I guess it's just close. It's right across the street from the practice facility.

If they draft Cousins they should move the practice facility. Put it across the street from this place.

Tray reply to Rich on Jun 23 at 16:01

I have bad memories at that Chili's.

Michael Scott on Jun 23 at 14:06

Chili's is the new golf course, it's where business happens. Small Businessman Magazine.

Myleskong reply to Michael Scott on Jun 23 at 15:20

hahahahaha
Oh Michael...

I could actually see that if Wes Johnson goes #3 and Cousins goes #4. Sacto could go with Monroe, which would be a huge mistake, IMO.

Emilio!76 on Jun 23 at 15:09

Celtics trade their overall 19 pick! But I think Ainge will take from our roster only Lou... because Price = quality = C's rule! But we lose our 6th man and main men from the bench... From different sources we hear that Iguodala+Turner is not tandem at all, if we trade Iggy to Nets for Favors/Cousins?? what are u think about this???

AnonymousPoster reply to Emilio!76 on Jun 23 at 15:40

Who is we?

Read it if you dare. HT, Jordan from Liberty Ballers

johnrosz reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 17:04

I think Turner is a better athlete than Paul Pierce was coming out of college. He turned out ok. I wish I could find some combine numbers for when Pierce came out, but I guess they didn't do that stuff back then. Statistically, they had pretty similar junior years from what I can tell.

Read that article from Jordan Liberty ballers.
He makes excellent points. And Turner may not be an all star....MAY not. But I would bet there is SIGNIFICANTLY more data that supports athletic big men turning into total busts. So Turner is the lesser of two eveils so to speak. Wes Johnson could be a more athletic Reggie Miller...or he could be Kerry Kittles. who knows.
I say the pick is STILL turner, if we get ourselves a Paul Pierce or Brandon Roy( which neither are Kobe, Wade or Lebron) I would be thrilled. I dont think there IS a kobe, wade or lebron in this draft. Except maybe Wall.
Despite agreeing with a lot of Jordans article, Turner IMO is the best pick. And please, PLEASE do not trade Iguodola. Anyone else besides Jrue, go to town, but not Iggy. I feel he will be a in beast-mode playing for Collins.

Jordan didn't write it, he just linked to it.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see a study of athletic bigs who are busts vs. wings who aren't great athletes and aren't great shooters.

I don't think either guy will be a bust, but you're pointing out a couple of exceptions in Roy and Pierce.

AnonymousPoster reply to Brian on Jun 23 at 19:00

It's also a terrible article that Mr Sams linked to

Kardashian sisters definitely are amazingly sexy, I adore those ladies!