OT Win Over a Playoff Team? No way.

After this season's collapse you can't honestly want them to move up to #7 now. Last night was great and it has me ready for the playoffs, but if they win just enough to play the Heat it'd be another total failure to look ahead and give us something new.

***Final game is @ PISTONS, not Toronto.

Thanks. I need more time and/or a copy editor. Glad someone read all the way through, as well. Fixed now.

Anonymous on Apr 22 at 10:39

From Dei, a player has only averaged 11 or more points in 26 or less minutes 20 times, and after this year Lou will have done so 4 times. And Lou in response to the inquiror said he he's not sure yet.

Sixers hadn't played since Wed. Susceptible minds were massaged and spirits transformed by Doug & staff in interim. Tactics were considered, reconnoitered, refined, mapped out, communicated, understood and greatly appreciated by players. Result - energy galore (even Elton moved his legs), a rare sighting of collective Sixers aggressiveness, bodies flying all over the court, 33 FTA! They wanted that game, and snatched it without permission, right in front of Larry Bird's nose! Too bad it's not an engrained habit, a dependable part of their nature.

Lou's HS coach should be added to staff for playoffs. The Boss was finger-snappin' good!

Iggy's touch on game-in-balance missed free throws was reminiscent of Rocky Marciano's at the Brockton MA YMCA, though Rock had a little more sauce on his, so said my witnessing uncle last night. Giving credit where due, Iggy's incongruent 3-pt marksmanship continues to bedazzle. And his calling card 'D' is helpful. Of course his next under-his-cap caper is a question that will be answered this very season.

Wild battle (after IND woke up following Q1), wild refs, wild spirits, upset-outcome - that's entertainment!

Adam Aron grinningly tweeted through the night. Joshua Harris put on his red team cap and slept like a baby. Some fans' dreams of clean house deferred.

TwoSense reply to Dollar Bill on Apr 22 at 11:35

Deferred? Or just glossed over for one night?

Whatever Doug, self-manufactured hero, says. A tourism & accomodations executive and a leveraged buyout specialist nod approvingly I surmise. Rooks giving way. (Rod up to his ears in retirement preparations.)

"Whatever Doug, self-manufactured hero, says. A tourism & accomodations executive and a leveraged buyout specialist nod approvingly I surmise"

Think you said a mouthful here...particularly the self manufactured hero part...think Doug, canny veteran of NBA politics, seized his opportunity with the new ownership and immediately moved to marginalize Thorn, who didn't have the fight left to answer in kind

"Sixers hadn't played since Wed. Susceptible minds were massaged and spirits transformed by Doug & staff in interim. Tactics were considered, reconnoitered, refined, mapped out, communicated, understood and greatly appreciated by players. Result - energy galore"

Not that I think it's going to matter, but this is kind of the situation and opportunity they're going to have in the playoffs, right?

Exactly, but only kind of, as so too will a 1 or 2 seed opponent in 'money on table' time (much different environment than playing-out-string games).

FTA '11-'12 season:

IND 1670
NY 1575
MIA 1543
ORL 1448
CHI 1367
ATL 1339
BOS 1281
PHI 1147

Hobbes reply to Dollar Bill on Apr 22 at 13:12

"Having watched this group for a long while now, do you actually think they can summon up last night's stuff for an entire series against an elite opponent? I don't. Aggressiveness, not their nature. Case in point - 7 Pacers (!) have shot more foul shots this season than Sixers' titular lane brute Brand (8 have equaled or bettered his 82 FTM)."

Point made on court-smarts and team allergies regarding contact. I won't pick singularly on Brand, though. And let's not anybody forget the last few seasons: this year AND the two preceding seasons find us at the bottom of the list for free-throw attempts. Ths ain't a one-year thing, it's a DNA thing.

Good for them. They seem like good guys, and I'm happy they found themselves some satisfaction in a hard-earned victory.

Big picture, though, if anyone cares about big pictures, is that they still have no pure-scoring, go-to guys. That lack has always and will always equal inconsistency and, ultimately, second-teir plateaus. And ugly backgroud details are still there (can Jrue set up others each night? should Turner have a future here? should we move Brand to the coaching staff? would wilderness camp toughen up a team that's last in free-throw attempts? don't most NBA teams need a center? are there EMTs nearby in case Collins strokes out?)

...so how about those Flyers?

If any team can blow a 3-0 lead, it's the flyers

oh hey look one more thing you're wrong about, what a surprise

Didn't say I would now did they, I said they could.

Any flyer fan confident in their goaltending is an uninformed flyer fan.

PS

Winning in the first round means nothing - wake me when they are seriously in danger of winning a stanley cup

Claude Giroux singlehandedly puts them in danger of winning a Cup...with consistently solid goaltending they would be close to a lock

MikeW reply to mymanjrue on Apr 22 at 16:41

Hell the fact that every other team might go down (NY, Bos) makes us in danger of going to the cup already.

KNICKS WIN!!! Despite resting Chandler in a possible tank attempt. BIG for the race to the bottom.

Stan reply to MikeW on Apr 22 at 15:52

:) Carmelo got away with a foul at the end of the game. If only the Sixers can somehow manage to lose one more game in the final 3. I hope they "rest" Iguodala and Brand.

MikeW reply to Stan on Apr 22 at 16:03

statistically speaking, sixers "should" go 2-1 in final 3, knicks "should" go 1-1, which would give us the 8 seed. i am still pretty nervous for tomorrow...if we don't beat the nets we really have to sweat out a playoff spot.

stan reply to MikeW on Apr 22 at 17:17

I hope we lose. It's very unlikely that we lose the next 3. Even if we do, its still a win because we will move further up in the draft.

I predict we win tomorrow, then in classic sixers fashion (losing the remainder of the season after clinching) we lose the next two.

people have to stop woith the "move up in the draft" thing at this point. At this point the difference between one mid first round pick and another is so negligible as to be totally irrelevant when compared with the potential psychological impact on Jrue and the other young guys that an utter collapse could cause. I know tanking is the hot Internet topic in the NBA but that ship sailed long ago for our Sixers so...shut up about it already and root for your damn team

(sorry stan...nothing personal...pent up reaction to all the tanking chatter of late)

Stan reply to mymanjrue on Apr 22 at 19:20

I don't think there will be much "physiological" impact on Jrue. I wouldn't recommend tanking at this point in the season either. If they make the playoffs they'll lose in the 1st round, if they miss the playoffs they'll move up 2 or 3 spots at their draft position. Either way I won't be upset at what happens. My ideal scenario would be for them to play Chicago in the 1st round and see a competitive series.

This is a pretty deep draft, but the difference between picking #12 and #15 can be pretty significant. Even more so if you consider the possibility for packaging some of our players plus the extra second round picks to move up in the draft to a possible top ten pick.

And i think people have to stop caring whether the sixers get the 7 or 8 seed - they're going to lose either way and it makes no difference to the future of the team...it's a tear down job...but see - that's what's nicea bout america - people get to have opinions

Stan-I agree with you about the ideal outcome...sorry to snap.

Jeff-You're right, of course, it can be a significant difference...my perception was that this draft was considered talented but top heavy but that is just based on what I've gleaned from keeping half an eye on the coverage so far so pretty worthless. My feeling is that the difference, while potentially significant, is so difficult to gauge at the mid point of the draft-you aren't getting sure things, generally, at that point...the vagaries of who goes where and who's on the board and who you like and who you need are so...well, vague at that point that it seems silly to root for a couple slots higher rather than being entertained and seeing the guys we've been rooting for acquit themselves well

GoSixers-Well, nothing that happens the rest of the season "matter to the future of the franchise" then, so might as well quit watching and reading blogs eh?It matters in that fans like us have invested a lot of energy into following this team, and part of being a fan is hoping for the best...however infintesimal the chance of a series win, it is fractionally greater vs Chicago vs Miami...and more relevantly in the end, even if we get swept, I'd rather get swept in four competitive games vs chicago than get blown out vs miami...simply because it will be more fun for me. This is about fun, right, in the end?I know we apparently disagree and I'm not trying to convince you...just don't see how your joyless, smart alecky brand of fandom is at all enjoyable.

And I'm not sure how your overly emotional one game at a time mood swings are 'enjoyable' either. I enjoy being a sixer fan, I enjoy talking about them. I feel I'm realistic about their chances, and yes I'm not emotionally impacted whether they win or lose, and I find it kind of sad when peoples moods are impacted by whether a sports team they don't play for wins. My life has balance. Your opinion of whether or not I 'enjoy' things of course, as usual, is wrong, but that's part of my enjoyment...you'll never understand it, but that's ok, cause I really dont' care

2 questions-

If Jrue were to be in the draft this year, at what pick do you think he would get drafted?

Who is the better player right now- Elton Brand or Kris Humphries?

MikeW reply to Stan on Apr 22 at 19:30

Humphries is 2X better and I hope the Sixers consider him this offseason.

matt reply to Stan on Apr 22 at 21:27

1. He'd be a high pick. He spews potential and is pleasant to watch. Unfortunately he seems to be lacking some sort of intangible. He's still young and has to be near the top of our trade value/future list. I'd put him top 10.

2. Brand is the better player. No question. Humphries is younger, cheaper, and therefore more valuable. Brand has to pick his spots. He'd be great in a close series. Sadly, this doesn't help us. Hump has shown value lately. It'll be interesting to see how he performs with a contract.

By the way....1 more win and we have an over .500 record for the first time in SEVEN (!!!!!) years.

I thought about that last night. Wow, 7 seasons, huh?

MikeW reply to Brian on Apr 22 at 19:42

Yep - the Jimmy O team. I liked that team for what it was worth. Korver as a starter, Webber trade, etc. Iggy overtaking the BIG DOG as a rookie starter in pre-season.

MikeW reply to Brian on Apr 22 at 19:46

Also that was Iverson at his finest. Returned to PG. Had an absolutely spectacular year. His last great one, and probably his best besides 01.

matt reply to MikeW on Apr 22 at 21:20

This is a high points. That's so sad.

matt reply to matt on Apr 22 at 21:21